Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: CATCHING UP  (Read 16035 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
CATCHING UP
« on: October 25, 2004, 12:00:45 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've caught up on the notes, you've berated up for being on the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the caught up cows come home.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2004, 12:00:06 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:CATCHING UP
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 12:05:57 AM »

Once again - thanks to Jane and Keith you get to see more of my photographs of France.

Monet Monet Monet
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 12:32:24 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 12:10:34 AM »

I'll list two for starters:

"The Legend Of 1900" and "The Milagro Beanfield War".
Neither is known well in this country and they are two movies I can watch reasonably often. Perhaps both a slow paced for the movie goers who like action - It is the pace that I like. (The reason I like so many European movies).  The scores of  both movies are worth a listen too.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 12:11:03 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 12:17:16 AM »

Beautiful photo, Tom!

And why am I still up? (Oh no - I've given away my real identity. Now bk will now that it is I - Panni aka Up - whom he tried to catch on his work.)
My favorite obscure movie is DREAMCHILD, starring Coral Browne as the elderly Alice Liddell and Ian Holm as Rev. Charles Dodgson aka Lewis Carroll. Screenplay by Dennis Potter. A wonderful, wonderful film.

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 12:31:45 AM »

Dennis Potter is very much missed. A reminder DR Panni - check out Stephen Poliakov (sp). IMHO the best TV writer since Potter.
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 04:27:14 AM »

Lovely photo!

Oh MR BK - as DRDANISE and I can tell you, Grayson Hall whom you saw in NIGHT OF THE IGUANA is the wife of Mr Sam Hall one of the writers of DARK SHADOWS.  She appeared regularly on that soap as Julia.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 04:29:27 AM »

Hmmmmm this website dedicated to Grayson Hall includes a special thanks to Guy Haines!   ;D

http://members.aol.com/lynn1dave/

I will have to consider some of my obscure movies....but I will start out with COUNT THREE AND PRAY recently viewed by DRJAY.

It stars Van Heflin and Joanne Woodward in her motion picture debut.  The supporting cast includes Raymond Burr, Nancy Kulp, Phil Carey, Jean Willes, and Allison Hayes.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 04:52:41 AM »

Dear DR Panni: Get Thee To a Broomery!!!!!

;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2004, 05:27:09 AM »

Lovely photo!

Oh MR BK - as DRDANISE and I can tell you, Grayson Hall whom you saw in NIGHT OF THE IGUANA is the wife of Mr Sam Hall one of the writers of DARK SHADOWS.  She appeared regularly on that soap as Julia.

You mean as Dr. Julia Hoffmann.  As I recall, it wasn't until very much later into the run of the show that anyone referred to her as simply "Julia".  It took a looong time for any of the other characters to warm up to her.

But be that as it may, I loved her on Dark Shadows and in her too few other film and TV appearances (She was also in That Darn Cat.)  In her soap roles, she could mug with the best of them but then deliver finely nuanced performances in Iguana and in bizzare TV movies like Gargoyles.   And she was also in the original cast of Subways Are For Sleeping and in the Meryl Streep Happy End on B'way.  I never understood why she didn't have more of a career than she did.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 05:31:41 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2004, 05:29:37 AM »

Good morning, all!  24 hours now and counting . . .

Dear Friend BK, I knew Grayson Hall, and she was a sweet lady, perhaps a bit mad, and I loved her gaunt features.  I met her through Leonora Hays, wife of David Hays set designer, founder of National Theatre of the Deaf, and sailor (their son wrote a book about sailing the world with David, MY OLD MAN AND THE SEA).  I never saw Grayson in DARK SHADOWS, but she was in the Broadway premiere of the Weill-Brecht HAPPY END, also starring Christopher Lloyd and Meryl Streep, in which she played the Lady in Gray.  How did that never get recorded?

Obscure movies:
DREAM CHILD:  one of the most fascinating movies about the Liddels, the nature of love, and two books expressing the affection (yes, DRPani, one of the greats!).

OH, WHAT A LOVELY WAR!:  one of the strange musicals, a bit of anti-war propaganda, as well as a great collection of World War I songs, some star turns, and a climax of white crosses that's terrifying in its intensity.

FINDERS KEEPERS:  Michael O'Keefe and Beverly d'Angelo, directed by Richard Lester, chasing a coffin across the western US, sort of a cross between HAIL THE CONQUERING HERO and Joe Orton's LOOT.  I found it quite bizarre and quite funny.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2004, 05:59:27 AM »

PICASSO SUMMER: I only saw it once, on late-nite television.  Albert Finney and Yvette Mimieux pursuing the idea of Picasso while on a vacation in Spain (or is it southern France).  Fantastic score by Legrand, screenplay by Bradbury (under a pseudonym), and a fairly successful attempt at animating Picasso's work.  Mesmerizing.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2004, 06:01:48 AM »

...I never saw Grayson in DARK SHADOWS...
She was marvelous in that show!  She not only played Dr. Julia Hoffman, but a wide variety of other roles, always with intelligence and, there's no other word for it, balls.  I'm glad to know you knew her; I wish she was still with us.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2004, 06:07:07 AM »

Ah yes DR Julia Hoffman - and since there were many trips through time on DS - many other roles.  i remember her Gypsy Fortune Teller who had to deal with a particularly pesky fly in the studio one day.  I kept expecting her to flatten in with her bangled hand.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2004, 06:09:09 AM »

She was marvelous in that show!  She not only played Dr. Julia Hoffman, but a wide variety of other roles, always with intelligence and, there's no other word for it, balls.  I'm glad to know you knew her; I wish she was still with us.

She was a lot of fun when she played Magda the Gypsy during the show's many time travelling trips to the past.  She allowed herself to cut loose in this role and show off her sly humor.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2004, 06:10:02 AM »

...great minds, DR Jrand...
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2004, 06:41:51 AM »

LOL DtM!

MBarnum

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2004, 07:23:49 AM »

THIS IS NOT A TEST (1962): a very low budget, independent sci-fi about a police officer and several stranded motorists try to find refuge from an impending nuclear attack.

ANAND (1970): A moving Bollywood film about a man who is dying of cancer. He attempts to use his remaining months to make those around him happy.

It is too early in the morning for me to think of 5 films...but perhaps I will be back later with 3 more.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2004, 07:37:20 AM »

MBARNUM sent me ANAND - and it is a good movie!

Here are my additional four in chronological order:

1942 - SON OF FURY with a fine Tyrone Power performance.  He is supported by George Sanders and Gene Tierney and Frances Farmer.  Roddy McDowell plays the young Tyrone.  Good fight scenes, and justice is served in the end.

1956 - WORLD WITHOUT END a group of space men are catapulted into the far distant future where the weak people live underground and the mutants live above ground.  They realize they can never return to their own time and set about making the best of the new world.

1959 - THE MIRACLE Carroll Baker as a disgraced nun.  Featuring Roger Moore and lots of battles and miracles and bullfighting and dancing.  John Hoyt is also in this!

1962 - FOUR CLOWNS A Robert Youngson compilation that features a lot of familiar material but also a couple of shorts from Charley Chase - who is VERY funny.  I had never seen his work before - and never again....a chance to see a silent comic that was new to me.  And of course Keaton in SEVEN CHANCES!

MBarnum

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2004, 07:41:26 AM »

JRand54 reminded me (by mentioning Carroll Baker) of another obscurity...BRIDGE TO THE SUN. Carroll Baker and James Shigeta star as a mixed race married couple at the outbreak of world war 2. Very good film.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2004, 07:41:31 AM »

I was going to provide some information on Grayson Hall, but lots of other folks beat me to it. Never saw her be less than interesting in any performance. A sadly underrated actress.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2004, 07:42:54 AM »

Thanks, DR Jay, for the thorough and interesting review of DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRALS. My friend Gregg and I are already planning our trip to NYC next summer with seeing that musical foremost in our minds.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2004, 07:44:30 AM »

Obscure movies, eh? I'll have to comb through the archives here and see if I have any. I think most of my tastes are pretty mainstream, but there may be a title or two here that isn't. I'll get back to you on this.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2004, 07:51:06 AM »

I've been trying to come up with a list of obscure movies, but jsut about everything I think of is probably well known to everyone on this board.  So far all I've thought of is Claudia Weill's Girlfriends.  I'll try to think of some more...
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2004, 07:53:53 AM »

I am about to sneak out of the office for a few hours to attend the Bill Clinton John Kerry rally here in Philly.  It's just two blocks away from my office, but I'm sure it will take a while to get there because of the crowds and the way they have the streets blocked off.  I'm taking my camera.  If I snap anything interesting, I'll post it here later.
-- Anaïs Nin

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2004, 08:49:35 AM »

I'll admit that, whenever I see something that's not a musical, in the back of my head there's the question, Could this be a musical?

Off Beat is almost a musical already.  It's about a man who poses as a police officer.  His friend, an actual cop, doesn't want to take part in a song-and-dance number that Jacques D'Amboise is choreographing for a group of actual cops.  Sound convoluted?  Certainly!  But a great view of what Jacques does (years later, I worked for him).

Irreconcilable Differences would seem to be the tale of a little girl divorcing her parents, but it's actually a Hollywood spoof that includes a musical version of Gone With the Wind.

Thinking the other day of what sci-fi films I've enjoyed reminded me of The Last Starfighter, which, unlike so many others of this genre, is completely unpretensious.

I'm way behind reading the notes, so "Catching Up" is a good title.  I'm surprised that no one mentioned
"Hear me holler,
I choose a
Sweet lolla-
Palooza
In thee"

during that apaloosa (sp?) day.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2004, 08:50:57 AM »

I knew you people would come up with interesting film choices, some of which I've never heard of.

I'd add Ladybug, Ladybug, which sounds similar to the above-listed This is a Test.  About a group of schoolchildren sent home when a bomb alert goes off.  One of them has a bomb shelter.  Good cast, which features, I believe, the film debut of William Daniels, and a young Alice Playten.  Never available on video and was rarely shown on TV, maybe once or twice.  I have a dupey VHS of it.

Bachelor Flat - a not-so-perfect but sometimes delightfully daffy comedy directed by Frank Tashlin, starring Terry-Thomas, Tuesday Weld, Celeste Holm, Richard Beymer, and an amusing beagle.  Fun score by Johnny Williams.  Never available on video, and infrequently run on TV (and always flat - it's a scope film).

The Mind Benders - a taut Brit film with Dirk Bogarde and Mary Ure.  I saw it at a sneak preview and went back a couple of times during the one week run.  On DVD from Anchor Bay and worth a look.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2004, 08:54:05 AM »

UPS update: So far I haven't had to be merciless - I'm told that my item may indeed arrive today.  It seems that there was a "weight adjustment" on the package, so it didn't receive a proper entry scan and when that happens they automatically assign a new delivery date of the next day.  However, there was no delay on the package and it indeed was scanned in in Van Nuys early this morning and, according to the woman I spoke to, it should be on a truck for delivery today.  She did carefully tell me that they have until the end of the business day to deliver it.  I think they do that so that if it DOESN'T arrive it's too late to call and bitch.  I'm hoping it will indeed be there on time, since it's being delivered to a The UPS Store.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2004, 09:21:17 AM »

I'm way behind reading the notes, so "Catching Up" is a good title.  

Let me get this straight - you've been posting without having read the notes?  Am I understanding this little tidbit correctly?  I believe that is bad form here at haineshisway.com.  I believe that is cause to be flogged mercilessly with a wire hanger.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2004, 09:22:25 AM »

And for any new newcomer (which Noel is not):  Best to read the notes first, then to come to the board.  Then you know exactly what's going on around these here parts.  Has anyone ELSE been pulling a Noel?

Ginny

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2004, 09:34:40 AM »

Thank you to all the DRs who posted warm welcoming messages yesterday - bk, Tomovoz, Danise, George, MBarnum, TCB, Panni, Dan(theMan), and especially:

Sandra - I'm not a big pop drinker, but a Cherry Coke once in a while is OK

JRand54 - Hadn't given any thought to Nancy Dickerson for a while, but she was one of the first woman national news correspondents and that made quite an impression on a pre-teen in the '60s who was looking for professional role models who were not teachers or nurses (I became a librarian - still am -and only the actress Elmore describes on an avocational basis).

Jane - Larry spoke glowingly of you, too, and I wish we could have visited in NYC.  We seem to have several things in common, including our December birthdays and Oregon (I was born there, but transplated to the midwest at a very young age)

What fun now to have interest people to talk to during my lunch hour!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up