Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: CATCHING UP  (Read 16034 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:CATCHING UP
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2004, 09:38:07 AM »

Many fine December birthdays here at haineshisway.com.  And still some upcoming October birthdays and even a few November birthdays.  We're going to be eating a lot of cheese slices and ham chunks around these here parts.

Jennifer

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2004, 09:40:17 AM »

Well I always catch up on the day before's posts before I read today's notes and posts.  But I will confess, I usually start reading today's posts and notes simultaneously (if that makes sense).

DR Jane, sorry you don't get the WB.  But check maybe you have some other station that carries their shows.  I know I could watch most of them on other channels if my FOX station didn't carry them.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2004, 09:56:09 AM »

Thanks, DR Jay, for the thorough and interesting review of DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRALS. My friend Gregg and I are already planning our trip to NYC next summer with seeing that musical foremost in our minds.

Happy to oblige, Mr. Advance Planner!

:D
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2004, 10:12:34 AM »

I, too, enjoyed Jay's thoughts on DRS and look forward to seeing it.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2004, 10:14:46 AM »

DR catchups:

- DR Ginny - A Big Welcome to HHW.

- DR Jay - That was a terrific review of DRS, far more interesting than any recent ones I've read in our Globe and Mail.

- DRTomovOz - Thanks for sharing the pictures. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Jay

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2004, 10:23:12 AM »

Thank you, Dear BK, and Dear Reader Dan-In-Toronto.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 10:24:15 AM by Jay »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2004, 10:23:30 AM »

I was busy with family (brother (San Francisco) and sister (Brooklyn) visiting this weekend, and am myself catching up.

My brother passed along a useful site, which may be of interest to HHW friends. For easy access to many newspapers, journals, and lots more, go to

www.aldaily.com (al = arts and leisure).

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2004, 10:25:36 AM »

Right now, I can't think of any movies that I've seen that are obscure.  Not that I haven't seen any, I just can't think of any.  I hate it when that happens. :-\ Unfortunately, it happens often.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2004, 10:30:03 AM »

I made a reference mistake in a post yesterday I want to correct. On the fourth hour of the BROADWAY - THE AMERICAN MUSICAL DVDs, the BYE BYE BIRDIE excerpt (taken from an ED SULLIVAN program) was not "Kids" but "Hymn for a Sunday Evening." I knew that, but my fingers typed out something else.

I woke up in the middle of the night and realized what I had typed!  :-\
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 10:32:11 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2004, 10:33:57 AM »

Have to decide today (my one day off from NUNCRACKERS rehearsals this week) if I want to watch STAR WARS IV or a couple of episodes from CSI Season 4. Ah, decisions, decisions. . . .
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2004, 10:38:57 AM »

As for obscure movies ... here are the first two.

1. That Cold Day In The Park. I remember being creeped out by Sandy Dennis's performance as a rich woman who, on a cold day in Vancouver's Stanley Park, invites a boy to live in her apartment. Some reviewers said the movie explored depression and loneliness. I think it's Robert Altman's weirdest film.

2. A New Leaf. This isn't really obscure, but I've often wondered why this brilliant (IMHO) Elaine May comedy didn't become a classic. I know that Elaine May disowned the movie because Paramount edited out the darker scenes. But I think Walter Matthau as the suave but broke Henry gives one of his best performances, while Elaine May as the klutzy heiress is so sweet and funny. There's genuine chemistry between the two leads. Among several priceless scenes: Elaine May - her skirt just full of crumbs - having dinner with Walter Matthau (she orders a malaga cooler); and Elaine May on her wedding night, getting totally twisted up in her nightgown. The excellent supporting cast includes George Rose as Walter Matthau's loyal butler, and Doris Roberts as Elaine May's slutty housekeeper who takes total advantage of her hopeless employer.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 10:50:19 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2004, 10:50:20 AM »

“I know exactly what you're talking about, Jane - I ate there many times and remember the onion soup, for which they were famous.”

Bruce today when I read your post today my brain went Maison Giraud.  Then Keith said he was thinking that last night.  Wouldn't it have been nice if he had told me that then instead of letting me spend half an hour trying to find it online?  ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2004, 10:51:07 AM »

That Cold Day in the Park also starred my old pal Michael Burns.  

We never hear about A New Leaf these days or, for that matter, Enter Laughing (mentioned here the other day), which also features Elaine May.

I went to a sneak preview once and saw a horrid little film called Fade In, with Burt Reynolds and Barbara Loden.  It was shot concurrently with a film called Blue with Terence Stamp, and is about the making of a film on location.  I don't believe it was ever released.

Another not very good obscure film that I'd like to see again because it features a Michael Bennett-choreographed number, is What's So Bad About Feeling Good, with George Peppard and Mary Tyler Moore, if I remember correctly.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2004, 10:51:54 AM »

Yes!  Maison Gerard.  What a great restaurant that was.  Can't we go there right NOW?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2004, 10:53:00 AM »

Also, did you ever eat at Alberto's - on Melrose, I think, near either Robertson or Doheney (probably between both) - towards the end of his life it was one of my father's favorite restaurants.  They had great food.

Jane

« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2004, 10:57:37 AM »

Speaking of COLD DAY IN THE PARK, Bruce are you still friends with Michael Burns?

Jane

« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2004, 11:00:04 AM »

Noel I never thought of the Sofitel as being less attractive than most other buildings or hotels in the L.A. area.  Next time I drive by I will give it a closer look.  A couple of times we had the good fortune to stay there and the rooms were lovely.

Ginny December what? Also where in Oregon were you born and do you ever return to visit?

Jennifer with TIVO I just put in the name of a show and it tells me what channels it is on.  Having done that with CHARMED I know I can watch early episodes on TNT, just they aren’t in chronological order which doesn’t appeal to me.

Sometimes I post with out reading the notes, but only if the option is between reading or posting due to limited time.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2004, 11:06:29 AM »

Or Kelly's Drive In out on Route 67?  Or the Old Topper Inn on Vine Street in Greencastle?  LOL.....

You have MANY more fine choices than some of us do.

DRGINNY you are indeed correct, Nancy Dickerson [Whitehead] reported for NBC and CBS on the Washington beat for many years.  She was a fixture in the 1960's and certainly as visible as Jacqueline Kennedy.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2004, 11:07:03 AM »

Bruce I didn’t see your post regarding Michael until after I posted.  I guess the question still stands since old pal could be long time, or not in touch any more.

I don’t remember eating at Alberto's.  Did you ever eat at Monet’s, or was it Mona Lisa’s?  It was a darling, romantic little place on Pico designed like an outdoor café with stars in the ceiling.  The food was delicious and they served the best napoleons I have ever had.  It didn’t hurt that the waiter was gorgeous.  

Jane

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2004, 11:22:43 AM »

I have errands to do all day.  If I’m very lucky I will find new pajamas.  I have been looking for three years now for the style I like without success.  I have seen some but the quality have not been to my liking.  I’m getting desperate now and must try to buy something today.  Now wasn’t that interesting. ???

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2004, 11:32:16 AM »

Back from the John Kerry rally.  Very inspirational, even though we didn't get anywhere near as close to the stage as we would have liked.  Thousands of people!  And it was occaisionally strange:  the rally took place on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, which was packed with people (including Love Park where we stood.)  To get an idea of the size of the area, picture a slightly longer Times Square.   At points during Clinton's (who looked great, BTW) and Kerry's speeches, there was sheer silence.  It was just eerie being among that many people in the center of town  and experiencing a hush like that.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 11:32:52 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2004, 11:33:35 AM »

I don't remember a place with that name.

I haven't seen Michael since the late seventies.  From what I understand,  he's an esteemed history professor at a college, and I know he wrote a book on the Dreyfuss affair.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2004, 11:34:14 AM »

My item has arrived and I shall now go do a few errands and then pick it up.  I shall have much to say when I return.

Emily

« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2004, 11:38:08 AM »

I am feeling awfully ughy.

Ugh.  <- see?  :P

The thought of food is making me ill.  Especially the smell of burning popcorn which is slowly filtering through the building in which I am currently located.  People, if ya gotta make the stuff in school cafeterias, DON'T forget about it before it makes the equivalent of a noxious stench bomb.

DR Jay - I really liked reading your review of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.  I am a big Norbert Butz fan, so I'm really looking forward to this show and will hopefully be able to make it down to NY to see it.

As for upcoming November birthdays... cough cough...

DR Dan (The Man) I am sooooo jealous of your being able to see Clinton...
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Ben

« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2004, 11:45:53 AM »

Just finished this week's Radio Show. Nice job Donald. If you enjoyed the PBS special, you will enjoy Donald's show because you get all sorts of songs that were not played on the documentary. He plays excerpts from the 5-CD companion set and it makes me want to leave th office, go home and get those CDs from the various shows so I can listen to the whole score again.

I see so few movies that I can't think of many obscure films. One that does pop to mind probably isn't so obscure but I know it's not well-known enough (although many of you here may have heard of it) that it could fall into that category. The film is Big Eden starring Arye Gross. I love this movie and recommend it frequently. If you haven't seen it, it's available on DVD and VHS and you can pick it up on-line or at larger video outlets (I think).

And now, back to work.

Jay

« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2004, 11:47:02 AM »

Thank you, Dear Reader Emily.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2004, 11:51:51 AM »

I see so few movies that I can't think of many obscure films. One that does pop to mind probably isn't so obscure but I know it's not well-known enough (although many of you here may have heard of it) that it could fall into that category. The film is Big Eden starring Arye Gross. I love this movie and recommend it frequently. If you haven't seen it, it's available on DVD and VHS and you can pick it up on-line or at larger video outlets (I think).

I have this DVD!  I got it on eBay in a lot of DVDs that had one DVD that I was getting for my niece.  It's a nice gay romantic comedy. :D  (I had to modify my post...I remembered something. ::) )
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 11:57:07 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2004, 11:52:48 AM »

Just five obscure movies?

Here's my five;

1)RAMROD...a forties western starring Joel McCrea, Veronica Lake, Don DeFore, Donald Crisp, & Preston Foster.  It's sort of Western Noir.  Don DeFore, with whom I worked in Dinner Theatre, gives his best performance in this movie.  Donald Crisp is great as the aging sheriff.  McCrea is top-notch.  Directed by Andre DeToth...Mr. Veronica Lake at the time, I believe. "I trusted the law; but the law was just a tired old man."

2) THE GREAT GARRICK...a delightful Warners Bros. farce from 1937, starring the always good and underrated Brian Aherne and Olivia DeHavilland.  The Comedie Francaise troupe plots revenge on Garrick the actor after he jokes the reason for his trip to Paris is to give them a lesson in the dramatic art.  Directed by James Whale.

SARABAND FOR DEAD LOVERS...swashbuckler noir, I guess you'd called it.  A British film, starring Stewart Granger and the lovely Joan Greenwood, with Flora Robson, Peter Bull, Anthony Quayle, Michael Gough.  1948.  Directed by Basil Dearden.  Exquisite, moody black-and-white photography.  Based on a true story of the doomed love affair between Konigsmark and Sohpia, married to George Hanover, who would soon become king of England.  Sometime called just SARABAND.

BELOVED ROGUE...great silent picture starring John Barrymore as the poet-rogue, Francois Villon.  What an acting lesson he gives here at the height of his acting prowess.  

ZULU DAWN...My pal, the late Douggie Hickox (who directed my HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES) directed this prequel about the events of Islandhwana that happened hours before the famous battle of Roarke's Drift which were depicted in ZULU.  Cy Endfield, who directed ZULU, produced and may have written as well.  Burt Lancaster, Peter O'Toole, Nigel Davenport, Ron Lacey, Bob Hoskins, and a whole host of recognizable British names.  Not as good as Zulu, but still a rousing actioner with a great score by Elmer Bernstein.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2004, 12:00:21 PM »

Dan-in-Toronto.  NEW LEAF has a line that I've been appropriating for myself ever since I heard it.  I suspect it applies to many on these boards.  George Rose, as Walter Matthau's butler, says to him: "Sir, you've been keeping alive traditions that were dead before you were born."

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2004, 12:05:02 PM »

I can't find two pieces of music I wrote for the underscoring to tonight's reading (Love Scenes).  The stage manager for Little Red Riding Hood has booked me four days this week, despite my stated desire to do as little work on it as possible.  I've got to come up with a bunch of new improv forms for And Then He Wrote before Wednesday night.  And the Second City show needs to start rehearsing the opening number I've not yet written.  Performance dates for that have just been chosen (even if a title hasn't): December 5 and December 13 at 7p & 9p.  I've only read the first act of the play on which an old friend wants to base a musical.  Out of all this I've taken hours and hours away to read every single post from this week.  Sometimes, I'll read something posted on Wednesday that leads me to post something today.  If you want to call that "pulling a Noel" fine, but I won't do it anymore.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up