Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: CATCHING UP  (Read 16036 times)

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
Re:CATCHING UP
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2004, 12:27:31 PM »

Decency forbids my repeating a question from BK (see above somewhere, if you don't remember), although the answer is likely Joy.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2004, 12:31:29 PM »

Page 3, ho!

"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Ginny

« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2004, 12:38:14 PM »

DRJane:  December 11 - I share a birthdate (although not year) with Sen. John Kerry.  Birthplace=Portland and that makes me a card-carrying SNOB (Society of Native Oregon Born).  Haven't been back to visit since 1959 - guess it's changed a little since then, huh?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2004, 12:44:00 PM »

Noel, you stated you were catching up on the NOTES - my comment was specifically about that, not posting things the refer to older posts.  Anything goes, here at haineshisway.com.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2004, 12:46:31 PM »

Now, as many of you know, I have been on an Astrud Gilberto kick.  I have always loved her albums, her voice, the arrangements, the sound.  But there is a reason for this recent kick, which I've been alluding to over the last couple of weeks.  It has to do with her album Windy, one of my favorites.  It also has one of my favorite album covers of all time.  Here it is:

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2004, 12:50:10 PM »

I just thought of another little known movie that I liked:  Robert Altman's Health.  I remember that it didn't make much dramatic sense, but there were a lot of funny scenes.  There was a lot of big talent packed in this film, including Dinah Shore.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2004, 12:51:29 PM »

The cover painting is by Howard Terpning, a very famous illustration artist, who just happened to do the movie poster art for some of the greatest films of the sixties, including The Sound of Music, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sand Pebbles, Doctor Zhivago, Ryan's Daughter, The Guns of Navarone, Grand Prix, The Professionals, Oliver - well, you get the idea.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2004, 12:57:37 PM »

So, imagine my surprise when the original painting came up for sale on eBay.  It was very expensive and it didn't get any bids.  They relisted it at a much lower starting price.  I was skeptical, so I wrote the sellers.  As it turns out, they represent Miss Gilberto, and run her eBay business and all things Astrud.  I told them that if it didn't get any bids that I was willing to make a slightly lower offer on it.  It didn't.  I made my offer and they accepted it.  I haven't purchased any art in over a year, and I decided that while the purchase was an extravagence, it would be my birthday and Christmas present to myself, and my present for having endured the months of craziness I went through whilst selling my house.  It's also a great investment (I have never lost money on art - in fact, I've made a LOT of profit selling my better pieces).  So, I am now the proud owner of the original Howard Terpning painting of Miss Gilberto used for Windy.  It arrived today and it is stunningly stunning.  Included with the painting was a certificate of authenticity signed by Miss Gilberto, a copy of the Japanese import CD of Windy and a personally-signed-to-me copy of the original LP.  She's donating some of the money to her save-the-animal charity, so it just feels good all the way around.  Now, I have to decide what place of honor I shall hang it in.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2004, 01:09:04 PM »

The painting.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2004, 01:13:52 PM »

Other great movie art by Mr. Terpning: The Prize, The Wild Bunch, Cleopatra, The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, The Interns, The Caretakers, The War Lover, McKenna's Gold, A Man for all Seasons, Lord Jim, The Oscar, Taming of the Shrew, Love Has Many Faces, Two Rode Together and Ride the High Country.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2004, 01:19:03 PM »

BK--Congrats on the very cool art purchase!  You got to place it somewhere prominent.  It's kind of mysterious--definately a conversation piece.  It's like having your own portrait of Jenny.

It's a shame that we don't get album art like that anymore.  The record execs would say that the details and colors wouldn't read on a CD cover.  Recording art is so bland these days.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 01:19:55 PM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2004, 01:20:01 PM »

Will catch up on the notes later. Have to get ready for a meeting. Discovered quite a bit of storage space under my new abode - which is a relief.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2004, 01:23:43 PM »

More obscure movies:

3. La Vie De Château, starring Catherine Deneuve. I'd love to see this farce again. I don't remember too much about it, other than that it's set in wartime France and that Catherine Deneuve is quite funny. Michel Legrand wrote the music. I thought about this movie after our favorite-movie-animal TOD. It has a great performance by a pigeon.

4. Joy House. Toronto used to have two really sleezy movie theatres - the Rio (code name: the "R-Ten") and the Biltmore. But they often showed great double bills. I saw a Lola Albright twin bill at one of these theatres: Cold Wind in August ("stripper takes up with street kid"); and Joy House ("sleek and sultry thriller"). Lola Albright's Joy House co-stars are Jane Fonda and, as a gigolo on the run, Alain Delon. Lalo Schifrin wrote the music, and Pierre Balmain designed the costumes. There is something very dark and confining about this movie. And more than thirty years later, I remember feeling nearly blinded by the sunshine and relieved by the fresh air as I walked out of the dingy R-Ten (or maybe it was the Biltmore).

5. Fedora. Again, this one isn't obscure, just obscurer than I think it deserves to be. I.A.L. Diamond's screenplay adds wit to Thomas Tryon's intriguing story (the surprise twist really did fool me), and Billy Wilder's direction is at just the right level of over-the-top. It also has a great score (Miklos Rozsa). And what other cast includes such a mix - José Ferrer, William Holden, Marthe Keller, Michael York, Henry Fonda, Hildegarde Neff, Frances Sternhagen (who, by the way, will soon be starring with Matthew Broderick in Larry Shue's new play), and Arlene Francis?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 01:38:42 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Jennifer

« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2004, 01:34:44 PM »

Good news for all AMAZING RACE fans.  TAR6 will start tues nov 16th (2 hour premiere). And it will be shown every week in the Clubhouse (9pm i think) tues timeslot.  YEAH!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2004, 01:35:06 PM »

Speaking of obscure Robert Altman movies, he made a really dreadful little think piece called QUINTET with Paul Newman. The movie didn't make a dime and got a very limited release. After seeing it, you can see why its release was so limited.

On the other hand, he did a satire called HEALTH that deserved much more acclaim than it got. Carol Burnett and Glenda Jackson were part of the ensemble of this neglected movie.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2004, 01:37:08 PM »

I started to mention BIG EDEN, DR Ben, but since we had talked about it here a few weeks ago, I figured it wasn't obscure any more!  :D

Jennifer

« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2004, 01:49:46 PM »

I think some of you will be happy.  I just read that ABC has picked up both Desperate Housewives and Lost for the full season.  Those two along with Jack and Bobby are my three favorites for this season.

Jennifer

« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2004, 01:54:38 PM »

BK, that album cover is awesome.  So different seeing the painting right after.  The colors are so much more vibrant.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2004, 02:04:00 PM »

A movie that would probably now be considered obscure is "Nasty Habits" with Glenda Jackson.  It's a spoof of the Nixon/Watergate scandal set in a nunnery.  I only saw it when I was much younger (and couldn't tell a good movie from a bad movie even if it bit me in the ass), but I remember that I thought that it was very funny.  I bought a VHS copy on eBay a couple of years ago, but I still haven't watched it.  I probably should...and soon!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2004, 02:05:28 PM »

And that is a great painting, BK (although I'd never heard Astrud Gilberto before she was mentioned here :-\).
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 02:05:44 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2004, 02:08:50 PM »

Never heard of The Girl from Ipanema.  Hie thee to a CD store.  I've narrowed it down to two places where it will hang in the living room.  The problem with this living room (well, there isn't a problem, it's a gorgeous room) is that there is not a lot of lighting (very bright in the day, but not at night).  I have to buy a couple of floor lamps.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2004, 02:10:35 PM »

A grammar question for DR Matt H (or anyone else):

Many species of whale
or
Many species of whales

My ear prefers the latter (but it also likes "many breeds of dog), but I don't know why. Is there a rule? Merci.

Tomovoz

« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2004, 02:13:53 PM »

The former in OZ Dan! Many refers to species and not whale! We of course have many species of shark here.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2004, 02:16:54 PM »

I would say the former as well.

Matt H.

« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2004, 02:17:44 PM »

I loved NASTY HABITS and didn't see it as a kid. I gave it a very positive review. Sandy Dennis was absolutely hysterical in that movie as the John Dean-like bespeckled nun.

Tomovoz

« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2004, 02:18:43 PM »

Ms Gilberto's version of "The Shadow Of your Smile" seems to be given more airplay then the TGFI in Oz these days. DR George you no doubt are quite familiar with Sondheim's "The Boy from...". Astrid has the definitive version of "The Girl From..."
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2004, 02:26:30 PM »

Ms Gilberto's version of "The Shadow Of your Smile" seems to be given more airplay then the TGFI in Oz these days. DR George you no doubt are quite familiar with Sondheim's "The Boy from...". Astrid has the definitive version of "The Girl From..."

I have definitely heard of both "The Girl from Ipanema" and "The Boy From..." and even "The Shadow of Your Smile."  I just never though about who actually sang them originally (other than "The Boy From..." ... that was Linda Lavin ;D).

Tomovoz

« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2004, 02:29:43 PM »

The Dordogne River.
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2004, 02:41:28 PM »

So much to report!

Dear Friend BK, that painting is beautiful.  I have the sheet music for the theme from RYAN'S DAUGHTER ("It was a Good Time, p'raps?), and I can see the similarities in the artist's technique.

DR George, I'd forgotten about the funny NASTY HABITS, based on Muriel Sparks' comic novel "The Abbess Of Crewe," as I recall.  I read the book when it first came out, but the film was much funnier, especially Sandy Dennis of THAT COLD DAY IN THE PARK as the nun based on John Dean.

So, tomorrow I report at 10:30 am, and I expect to be out of hospital by 1:00 or so.  I'll check in in the morning and most likely be E&T the rest of the day.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2004, 02:57:05 PM »

Thanks, DG (Dear Grammarians) Tom and Matt.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up