Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WEBSITE NOT RESPONDING  (Read 17033 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:WEBSITE NOT RESPONDING
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2004, 11:47:47 AM »

Thank you MBarnum.  Echo and I had a lovely hike with our Wednesday morning group.  I just wish I had remembered to take the camera.

JRand-LOL

DerBrucer-cute pics.  I heard about the 911 call on the news-amazing story.  I know Echo, if trained to do so, could do that.

Jay, so far I like Obama-but Clinton…I don’t care if groaning isn’t allowed here-GROAN.  RLP and my reasons to dislike Hillary have little to do with the fact she “stood by her man”.  That is her business, but Stuart mentioned one of my reasons-the thought of Bill in the White House again.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2004, 11:50:53 AM »

My first VCR was a Panasonic top-loader that I bought at Wall-To-Wall Sound and Video for about $425 in January, 1983.  I bought it with the express purpose to tape the RSC's Nicholas Nickleby on PBS.  

I can't for the life of me remember what was the first movie I purchased.  It was probably a used rental of something.  IIRC (internet lingo!), movies had an odd pricing for releases back then.  Initially, they cost in the $80 to $90 dollar range, then dropped to about $24.00 a few months later after their rental exposure had died down.  I'm not sure, but I think the first priced-to-buy VHS release was E.T..

The first movie that I ever rented was that 80s sci-fi classic, Liquid Sky.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2004, 12:07:28 PM »

Happy Birthday, Dear Reader Emily!!

I am so glad the election is all over.

We bought a beta recorder/player first.  I rented Pinnochio for the kids. and I remember that if we lost or damaged the tape, it would cost $80 to replace it.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2004, 12:13:08 PM »

I honestly can't remember when der B purchased our first VCR.  I DO remember that it happened at the same time that he replaced the television set, and I think it took place when he bought our first CD player.  Figure all this took place about 19 years ago.

I don't remember us buying that many pre-recorded tapes, either.  We rented tapes, and bought blank tapes for recording shows we wanted to save.  (I was a major Dr. Who fan at the time.)

I do remember that one of the first tapes we rented was the botch made of Pippin.  Well, at least I got that over with early.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2004, 12:17:19 PM »

A direct quote from a good friend who just E-mailed me to commiserate on the election results:

"we survived the pharaoh’s in Egypt, so hopefully we'll get thru this also..."

Yes, but after the pharaoh, it still took forty years to get to the Promised Land!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2004, 12:20:47 PM »

DR Jose: Alton Brown's I'm Just Here for MORE Food arrived in the mail yesterday, and it looks pretty good.  Heavy on the science, of course, which is why Brown is so good.  He tackles baking this time, dividing the book in to mixing methods, which makes sense.

One interesting feature of the book is the "flaps", which are exactly that: longer pages at the start of each section, containing a summary of the mixing method being discussed.  This saves time, as readers won't have to keep reading the same basic information with each recipe, which would get repetitious.  They also make great bookmarks.

(Only, when I'm working from a cookbook and don't want to mess it up in the kitchen, I'm more likely to type out the instructions and make a print-out.  This habit keeps my cookbooks cleaner, and there's no way I can go into the kitchen without having actually read the recipe!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2004, 12:26:03 PM »

I tried to get on last night to talk about REVENGE OF THE CREATURE, but, as we all know, the site was unavailable.

Anyway, I had a good time with it. Only vaguely remembered it, and while there isn't much story that's different from the first in any significent way, nice eye candy with the two hunks. Picture looked pretty good for the most part. Some scenes were much grainier than others, and, of course, the underwater stuff was never as clear as the rest.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2004, 12:27:08 PM »

If this makes anyone feel better, here's a slogan I read elsewhere:

DEMOCRATS ARE SEXY
When was the last time anyone wanted a nice piece of elephant?
[/size]

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2004, 12:29:47 PM »

Before I forget, Jose, there's a new Good Eats on tonight: True Grits!

Jane

« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2004, 12:30:24 PM »

I’m not sure what year we purchased our first VCR. I know we lived in Pennsylvania, so maybe 20 years ago.  I think the boys were home with a sitter.  I do know they were not with me waiting at the Vets, with multiple animals, for Keith to pick me up after he was done with a “quick” errand.  It was a rather chilly spring day and I had to wait close to an hour for him.  He picked me up with a big apology and a happy face.  We rushed home so the person who sold Keith the new TV (had to have a new set to go with the VCR) could set it up for us.

Jane

« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2004, 12:31:19 PM »

SWW-cute.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2004, 12:31:31 PM »

Happy Birthday, DR Emily!!

It was the mid-to-late 1970s when I bought my first VCR - one of those RCA Selectavision models with the colored buttons for Play-Record-Rewind-Fast Forward-Pause.

Anyway, the first movie I bought was, like DR Stuart, VALLEY OF THE DOLLS. Fox was then releasing their films with the label Magnetic Video. And I'm sure THE WIZARD OF OZ was also an early purchase.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Emily

« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2004, 12:33:45 PM »

HAPPY 21st BIRTHDAY, D.R. EMILY!!

Of course, since you live in Canada, it's not as significant a birthday as it is in the US.  You've been legal to drink for two years, now!  But still, have a great birthday!

Thanks for the birthday wish and you're right about 21 not being a big deal here.  

Also - I've been able to "legally" drink for three years now since QC has a drinking age of 18.  Actually, Ontario is the only province that has the higher than normal limit of 19.

But then again, in Montreal for the most part the legal drinking age is merely a suggestion.  Did I ever tell you about the sweet sixteen party I went to with an open bar? ;)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2004, 12:37:09 PM »

If this makes anyone feel better, here's a slogan I read elsewhere:

DEMOCRATS ARE SEXY
When was the last time anyone wanted a nice piece of elephant?
[/size]

Thanks for the laugh S. Woody! :D

Speaking of which, why do political parties choose such AWFUL symbols and nicknames.  I mean in the states you have a DONKEY as a party symbol (the elephant really isn't *that* much better) and here you have party who's acceptedly known as the "Grits".   WHAT is up with THAT?
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2004, 12:38:22 PM »

Ooh and for a while we in Canada also had the Canadian Reform Alliance Party...

Try to figure out what THAT party was not-so-affectionately abbreviated to :D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 12:38:39 PM by Emily »

Tomovoz

« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2004, 12:45:14 PM »

Congratulations and Happy Birthday DR Emily.

My first VCR was a Philips recorder - the spools were one on top of the other rather than being side by side.  It had excellent quality as a recorder but lost out int he race.  I don't think any movies were ever released in the format.

The first movie I purchased was I think, "Alice In Wonderland".. By then we had a top loading regular format VCR. (National/Panasonic).. It is still going (does not record these days) 2o+ years later.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2004, 12:52:00 PM »

Emily thanks for the laughs on your birthday.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2004, 12:53:19 PM »

I am not a person who cries easily...but when I listened to Kerry give his concession speech this morning, I got a large lump in my throat and tears in my eyes.  That's all I have to say on the matter.

I remember the first VCR we got...I think I was about 5 or 6.  The first thing I remember watching on it was a Bugs Bunny cartoon.  The first actual video I watched on it was also the first one my sister and I owned...The Wizard Of Oz.  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2004, 01:07:03 PM »

I am not a person who cries easily...but when I listened to Kerry give his concession speech this morning, I got a large lump in my throat and tears in my eyes.  That's all I have to say on the matter.

DRAnn, me, too.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2004, 01:15:41 PM »

I haven't seen Kerry's speech yet. I don't think I could handle it being in the office.

All day I've been pretty much keeping to myself.  I feel so down.  I want to go out and get hammered or get laid or both.

Anyone have Bea Arthur's phone number?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #80 on: November 03, 2004, 01:28:10 PM »

The defeated governor of Indiana just said that he could always get a job tending bar and his wife can wait on tables.

Hope he is better at that than he was at being governor.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2004, 01:30:53 PM »

Happy Birthday, DR Emily.

I've surfaced from the pit of "The Secret Garden".  The show is in OK shape.  It's well sung, that's all I care about, OH and that the sound tech remembers to bring the actors up when they are singing.

Question for bk to ask Guy Haines.  What was your all time favorite song to record and did bk ever make you record a song you didn't really care for?  

Guy Haines shuffled on to the iPod this morning on the way to work and I always forget what a wonderful soothing voice he has.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2004, 01:36:12 PM »

My question for ASK BK day this week (and other DR's of course):

When did you get your first VCR, and what was the first movie you bought on tape?

The first VCR that my parents had was (I don't remember the brand) a machine that only had 12 channels!  You opened the top compartment right above where the channels displayed and there were little wheels and a screwdriver-like tool to change the channel bands:  1-13, 14-30 or so, 31-whatever.  You had to individually select each actual channel for the channel number that you wanted to keep.  So you line up could actually be 2,4, 23, 8, 7, etc., in what is listed as channels 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc., etc., etc. (a King and I reference).  

The first VCR that I[/i] owned was a hand-me-down from my sister, although it was still fairly new.  When I graduated from college, got a job and finally moved out from my parents' house with a housemate (here in Olympia), she (my housemate) had the exact same VCR!  She actually got it from a family when she was a nanny...and she got it in New York!  Anyway, anytime that you used one remote, BOTH VCRs started working.  It was especially difficult when I set them up to tape between each other.  I had to put something (usually a tape box) in front of one of the VCRs so that the remote signal wouldn't be picked up by both VCRs.  Now I make sure that I have different brands. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2004, 01:37:43 PM »

Guy Haines shuffled on to the iPod this morning on the way to work and I always forget what a wonderful soothing voice he has.

I still have my Guy Haines CD from yesterday.  I think I need to listen to a friendly singing voice again. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2004, 02:14:00 PM »

Well, the Kerry concession is all over the news, and that moron-nazi party wins because they play the terrorist card.  The irony here is that I live in the city that's one of the two spots of terrorist activity in 2001, and I don't buy the terrorist threat at all!  I thinks it's been a lot of Republican propaganda for the past two years to justify an unjust military activity.  I'm appalled that some many moronic American voters fell for that instead of looking out for their civil rights, economic situation, or threats to the Constitution.  I'm going to be pissed for a long time.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Emily

« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2004, 02:22:01 PM »

Well, the Kerry concession is all over the news, and that moron-nazi party wins because they play the terrorist card.  The irony here is that I live in the city that's one of the two spots of terrorist activity in 2001, and I don't buy the terrorist threat at all!  I thinks it's been a lot of Republican propaganda for the past two years to justify an unjust military activity.  I'm appalled that some many moronic American voters fell for that instead of looking out for their civil rights, economic situation, or threats to the Constitution.  I'm going to be pissed for a long time.

Elmore I am far from a Republican (heck... I'm not even American) but insinuating that members of that party are "nazis" is wrong - especially because there are several Republican members at this here site who are anything BUT fascists.  It's paramount to Democrats having been called communists back in the Cold War.  

Anger is fine but labelling people based on their party affiliation (which oftener than not doesn't really have all that much to do with their ideological look on life) is not cool.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 02:23:50 PM by Emily »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2004, 02:24:35 PM »

Elmore, I share your anger, bitterness, and depression.  We'll be feeling the eight years of the Bush regime for a long, long time...probably the rest of our lives. And do we have Jeb to look forward to inanother four years.

Jane, re: Clinton, Bill.  When Lincoln wanted to make Grant his commander-in-chief, he was warned by his advisors that Grant drank.  Lincoln said something like:  "He wins battles.  Find out what he drinks and send it to all my generals."

Clinton's eight years were certainly profitable and good to me and mine.  I was far better off four years ago, before Bush.  If getting a bj in the White House means nationwide prosperity, a balanced budget, and a government that has a sense of social awareness and fiscal responsibility, then I wish all presidents got a bj in the White House.

Well, one thing, with the GOP owning the legislature, the judiciary, and the White House, they can't blame a damned thing on the Democrats.  Bush won't be able to deny his mistakes and weasel out of responsibility for what comes.

Jane

« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2004, 02:40:10 PM »

Living in a state which supported Kerry I keep hearing this theory that the only reason anyone voted for Bush was the “fear factor”.  Yet, the “fear factor” has never been mentioned to me by anyone I know who voted for Bush.  I personally was very sad Kerry was elected to represent the Democrats in this election.  I’m sorry elmore but I really believe that is why Bush won and I just pray he does a better job of it this time around.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2004, 02:47:53 PM »

Despair and devastation - two words I've often had trouble spelling - are all I'm feeling today, the saddest day in American political history.  Me, and the people I've been around have been breaking into tears all day.  A young lady I know has two younger brothers, and she can't help but picture they'll be sent into a war zone somewhere.  The people from Europe endeavor to explain how foolish we look from their perspective, and the woman from Texas reminds us that not all Texans are stupid, as the self-proclaimed Christian reminds us that not all church-goers voted for Bush.

I think the real winner yesterday was Osama Bin Laden.  Remember how a terrorist act influenced the Spanish election?  Well, although it's been more than 3 years since 9/11/01, the vote was the logical conclusion of the fear it wrought.

It's said that voters vote their pocketbooks, but that didn't happen this time.  Or that an incumbent president will do only as well as his approval rating, which didn't happen this time either.  Or that the perceived "morality" of the two candidates counted for something, which is bull because Bush blithely sent over a thousand soldiers to their death for a dubious cause.

Take every argument you ever made in favor of Kerry over Bush.  Take them one at a time and compare it to this thought: "There hasn't been a second attack."  Very few people blame Bush for the first attack, but the untold story of this election is that very many people credit him for warding off a second attack.  This spilled over into a belief that America would be less safe under Kerry.  That's the thrust of the entire campaign right there.

People who are extremely afraid lose the power to think.  Thus, the march to Bush's victory began on that sobering day of 9/11 - a tragedy that made us stop and think about safety, for just about the first time.  And soon came the Patriot Act, the most anti-constitutional law ever passed, eviscerating the Bill of Rights.  And people were too scared to think.  The thought went "this is worth doing, because it can make us safer."  And, as a New Yorker, I've some sympathy for that desire to feel safer.  But many threw out their reason along the way.

And a war that would have been prevented by a motivated electorate was allowed because enough Americans thought "it can make us safer."  And those color-coated warnings, and airport security lines: we tolerate it all, because the government has fed our fears and said "Here, fearful one, here's what we're doing to make you safer."

Osama's latest tape was, of course, the October surprise.  I'm not implying it was put out by the Bush administration.  It was Al Quaeda, reminding us to be fearful.  And, for most voters, there was something comforting about sticking with the man at the helm of the "warding off a second attack" effort.

The best elections are won on hope.  People casting ballots with enthusiasm because they believe their candidate can help make America better.  This election was won on fear; the fear of a further attack trumped all the other arguments.  Which is why talking to Bush supporters was like shouting in the wind.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2004, 03:03:20 PM »

Before I forget, Jose, there's a new Good Eats on tonight: True Grits!

...As I was trying to say before my computer automatically re-booted after my latest virus-ware update downloaded (I hate when that happens)...

Thanks for the head-up, DR SWW.  Unfortunately, the cable system here in the hotel in Houston does not get the Food Network.  And, trust me, I have been going through withdrawal - especially when it comes to late-night, post-show TV viewing.

However, the other day I stopped over at Eatzi's to get some dinner, and I noticed that they keep FoodTV on in the cafe seating area.  Alas, the show that was on was Ina Garten's "Barefoot Contessa"...and, of course, it was an episode I have seen at least twice, if not thrice, before.  I like Ina Garten, but she's certainly no Alton Brown, and she's definitely now Tyler Florence (a.k.a. my future husband).
;D

-But at least I got some "fix" of my FoodTV.

-And how I wish Emeril did not dominate the 8:00pm/Midnight hour block.  I know he's ensconced in that time period for years to come, but some variety every now and then would be nice.  -Especially when it comes to the aforementioned late-night, post-show TV viewing.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up