Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: FASTER THAN A SPEEDING BULLET  (Read 19214 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:FASTER THAN A SPEEDING BULLET
« Reply #150 on: November 06, 2004, 10:36:05 PM »

I'm with Pogue - the joys of drag have always eluded me.  For some, La cage aux folles was a revelation: men being affectionate with each other on stage.  But hadn't The World's Sexiest Man sung the gay love duet Why Can't the World Leave Us Alone a few years earlier?  And, the gay relationship I absolutely loved seeing, years before La cage, was March of the Falsettos.  Real, tender, compelling.  And there's only drag in the nightmare of the title song.  La cage aux folles seemed like old hat when it premiered, and I don't have high hopes for its revival now.
"Years" before La Cage?  Try just two.  March of the Falsettos opened in '81, La Cage in '83.

As for the success of the revival, it should be more timely now, with it's defense of gay marriage by example in the face of eleven states passing anti-marriage legislation just three days ago.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2004, 10:45:39 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #151 on: November 06, 2004, 10:37:39 PM »

Correlating to fake singing, we were going through Hotspur's hand-me-down t-shirts (for those cold winter nights) for Tewkesbury and came across one we had made up that said:  "I sang for Milli Vanilli".  Another one said:  "I killed Laura Palmer."  Who'd have thunk I'd find bygone cultural references on old dog shirts.
;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #152 on: November 06, 2004, 10:41:19 PM »

For a Page Six Dance, how about a

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]Bolero d'Amore[/size][/move]

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #153 on: November 06, 2004, 10:58:40 PM »

Good Evening!

What a view of the city of Houston there is from the 49th floor of the Shell One building's Plaza Club!  WOW!  So many lights.  So many "small" buildings.  And a very clear night tonight, too!  A perfect backdrop for a wonderful reception.  -And the food was pretty good too.  -As was the champagne and the other refreshments from the open bar(!). ;)

-Although we all could have done without the cocktail pianist muzak-ing selections from the show... Eh...

But it was a very nice gathering, and some of the young ladies in cast used it as an opportunity to show off their latest purchases from the Galleria.

Tonight's show with the "Super Swing" in for Richie went very well... Just one more to go tomorrow afternoon...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #154 on: November 06, 2004, 11:13:14 PM »

OK... Let me give this a shot... finally...

Favorite musicals (in no particular order, off the top of my head, at this moment (with a few glasses of some very good champagne in my system):

Sweeney Todd
Sunday In the Park with George (and, yes, I like both acts)
Guys and Dolls
Avenue Q
Pacific Overtures
Violet
A Chorus Line
She Loves Me
The King & I
Gypsy
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #155 on: November 06, 2004, 11:19:43 PM »

Favorite composers and/or lyricists (with the same disclaimer as above):

Stephen Sondheim
Frank Loesser
Dorothy Fields
Leonard Bernstein
Bock & Harnick
Comden & Green
Rodgers & Hammerstein
Rodgers & Hart

-I've never been much of a Jerry Herman fan - either of his shows or of his music in general.  I will admit, it's a generational thing with me - he just seems very old-fashioned.  -And, god forbid, I ever have to play "Ribbons Down My Back" at an audition... the song just truly grates my nerves.  *Oh, however, I do love the score for Mack & Mabel - and I saw a beautifully done community theatre production of it many years ago.  They ended with a black and white "home movie" of Mack and Mabel and company doing "home movie stuff".  Very touching.. not a dry eye in the house.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #156 on: November 06, 2004, 11:28:10 PM »

Over-rated shows (at least overrated in my opinion):

Annie
Phantom of the Opera*
The Producers**
Rent***
The Lion King****

*I've seen POTO a couple of times in New York mainly because I have friends in it from time to time.  It's definitely not my first choice now for a "must-see again" show, but I will say it's very "safe".  However, if the cast is a bit "bored" that night... ugh...  I mentioned in a previous post that I had seen the show back in March right after they had done some sprucing up of the set, costumes and the actors (so to speak), and the show actually had a freshness to it.  Go figure.

**Yes, I laughed when I saw THE PRODUCERS.  I laughed a lot.  But I thought - and think - all those "this show will save Broadway" feelings that were all over the place when it opened were a bit over the top.  Funny?  Yes!  Because it's Mel Brooks!  What's really "new" about Mel Brooks?  And I thought THE FULL MONTY should have shared some of the Tonys that year.

***I base my opinion on the over-ratedness of RENT on the cult surrounding the show, those "RENTHeads".  However, I'd rather be a "RENTHead" than a "Jekky" - or however they spell that.  But I do like the show.  I just don't get all the hype.

****Other DRs have pointed this out before too... Some beautiful stuff to look at... But after the opening...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2004, 11:29:52 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #157 on: November 06, 2004, 11:33:45 PM »

And since some other DRs have posted their guilty pleasures:

Pippin
Big
Baby
Passion (warts and all, and I'm not talking about the ones the would occasionally fall off of Donna Murphy's nose) ;)
Aspects of Love

And the revues that find their way to my CD player every now and then:

Ain't Misbehavin'
Closer Than Ever
'And the World Goes Round
« Last Edit: November 06, 2004, 11:35:08 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #158 on: November 06, 2004, 11:47:42 PM »

I've got Bernadette Peters in Concert on the DVD player right now.  More listening to it than watching, I'll admit.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up