Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LIVELY AND SPARKLING TEETH  (Read 18089 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE LIVELY AND SPARKLING TEETH
« Reply #120 on: November 08, 2004, 08:39:20 PM »

Had dinner with our very own Tammy Minoff.  Went to Stanley's.  The waitress came and Tammy wanted pasta so I strongly recommended she have my fave, the garlic chicken pasta.  She ordered it.  I decided to be a good boy and I ordered the Chinese Chicken Salad.  Our waitress kept asking if I wanted it first and I kept saying no, bring it with the pasta.  We couldn't understand why she went on about it - until, that is, she brought the food.  She'd totally misunderstood, and brought both of us the garlic chicken pasta AND one Chinese Chicken Salad.  I really cannot comprehend how she misunderstood, since my order was so clear, but I was nice and didn't say anything and then ate way too much food instead of being a good boy.  Oh, well.
No, BK, I wouldn't have been quite so nice.  You HAD been clear, and if there was any misunderstanding it should have been taken care of when the order was placed, and the initiative on making it clear should have been taken by the waitress.  You ordered 1 (one) garlic chicken pasta, and 1 (one) Chinese chicken salad, not two of each.

That being the case, I would have explained the misunderstanding politely and asked the waitress to take one of each duplicate plate back to the kitchen.  As it is, you were forced to pay double the bill over what you had initially planned on.  At the very least, I'd make sure someone in management knew that a mistake had been made, and one that was decidedly not in your favor.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #121 on: November 08, 2004, 08:40:24 PM »

I'd do the Chicken dance, but I don't know the steps.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???[/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #122 on: November 08, 2004, 08:41:12 PM »

Good Evening!

Whew!  I need some sleep!!!!  Ah, well...

I pulled into Richmond around 9:20, and stopped by Ukrop's to pick up some dinner and some water for tomorrow's trip up to NYC.  Then once I got home, I brought my luggage in, heated up my dinner, and ate said dinner.  Then I went through my mail.  Four weeks of mail!  Not too bad, just time consuming - but not too many credit card offers this time.  However, I guess all my magazine subscriptions are due for renewal soon.

Then Steve called me around 10:45... He was having a late supper after his rehearsal tongiht... And it seems one of his wisdom teeth has broken off/apart... Ugh!...  He was, in his words, "not a happy camper"... Ah, well... Well, he called back about five minutes ago, and he feels better now, and he somehow managed to "clear" the problem... :o  In any case, we'll be heading up to NYC tomorrow morning regardless...  We better be!  >:(

;)

-Good Tooth Vibes All Around
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #123 on: November 08, 2004, 08:45:07 PM »

I've always liked 2001, but it's form is, well, different.  I didn't understand why until someone suggested it was more like a piece of music, only visual.  The analogy makes sense to me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #124 on: November 08, 2004, 08:45:26 PM »

When I pulled into my parking space in the back and looked at my back door, I almost thought I had the wrong place.  A new screen/storm door!  Yeah!  And then once I opened the screen/storm door, I encountered the newly adjusted and re-hung back door!  Yeah!  Then I headed into the bathroom where I almost jumped for joy when I saw the new floor, the new sink, the new vanity and some new paint!  YEAH!!  -And, boy, what a difference it makes when you don't have to worry if you're going to step through the floor!

And my roommate cleaned the apartment!!

Will wonders never cease?!?!?

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #125 on: November 08, 2004, 08:47:55 PM »

From dislike to like, my own switch comes from the Tolkein books of The Lord of the Rings, which I found insufferable, to Jackson's films, which are magnificent.  There is an arguement to be made, of course, that what is on the screen is technically not Tolkein any more, but merely an interpretation, but so what.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #126 on: November 08, 2004, 08:48:04 PM »

Well... I need to unpack/pack/repack now... And I'm also trying to figure out if it's cold enough for me to take out the comforter from the closet... Hmm... Well, more like if I have the energy to do so.  *Oh, and can tell with the new doors on the kitchen, I can already tell the kitchen and back part of the apartment feels warmer already!  No more pesky drafts!!
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #127 on: November 08, 2004, 08:51:39 PM »

Der Brucer and I had a magnificent dinner tonight at Cafe Zeus.  He had the Cream of Crab soup, followed by the Venison Chops.  I started with the Feta Cheese wrapped and seared in Filo, with a red pepper puree, followed by a Veal Porterhouse that must have been a full inch and a half thick.

The bonus was that on Mondays if you get one entree, the second is free!  Talk about a bargain!

Of course, this means that no self-respecting vegetarian will ever want to shake our hands again, but it was worth it.   8)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: November 08, 2004, 08:56:12 PM »

She only brought the duplicate of the pasta.  Only one Chinese Chicken Salad, but it was huge.  I left some of the pasta behind and Tammy and I split some of the chicken salad and left the rest.

No, I have never cared for Gone With the Wind.  I really don't even understand it, frankly.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: November 08, 2004, 08:56:30 PM »

Has anyone purchased from the Pottery Barn?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #130 on: November 08, 2004, 08:58:10 PM »

And we'll be off again tomorrow, taking pictures of puppies.

Today we went to check on a cage.  Actually, it is more of a pen, made of galvanized pipes and chain link.  It looked to measure at least six feet square, and maybe four and a half feet tall, with no roof.  If we bring a dog in for rescue that needs to be separated from the others, it'll come in handy.

At least, I think der B intends it for dogs.  If he's thinking in kinky terms, the "crate" we have now (three by four by four and a half, with a wire roof) is more confining, and therefor better.  Only Fletcher, who thinks of it as his "room" already, would probably get upset if we were to borrow it.   ::)

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #131 on: November 08, 2004, 09:02:01 PM »

I love soup. Soup is great. (Oh, an Arthur reference.) My favorite is gazpacho. And gazpasta, which is really more a soup-based salad.

Today in my Children's Literature class, we acted out scenes from Alice in Wonderland. I was the Dormouse at the mad tea party.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #132 on: November 08, 2004, 09:07:52 PM »

Has anyone purchased from the Pottery Barn?

Yes.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #133 on: November 08, 2004, 09:09:45 PM »

...I'll check back in after I do the luggage shuffling...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #134 on: November 08, 2004, 09:19:16 PM »

She only brought the duplicate of the pasta.  Only one Chinese Chicken Salad, but it was huge.  I left some of the pasta behind and Tammy and I split some of the chicken salad and left the rest.

No, I have never cared for Gone With the Wind.  I really don't even understand it, frankly.  
Even so, you still got charged twice for a dish you only ordered once.  Much as I'm regularly on the side of waitstaff, clerks, and other service people, in this case the waitress was in error.  The second plate should have been sent back, and you shouldn't have been charged for it.

A similar error occured at the end of tonight's repast.  Nia, our waitress, had forgotten to subtract the cost of the second entree, as per the Monday special.  A simple reminder from der B resolved the problem.

Of course, being friends with the restaurateurs and staff helps.  In this case, der B had earlier discussed with Nia the monologues in For Colored Girls (she's done the show before), and Charles and John, the chef and his partner, regularly give us a special discount on the wine we like.  (In that case, they're trying to divest themselves of the rest of their stock, because it's an odd cellar that no one but der B and I know about and order.  Still, the added discount is nice.)

As for GWTW, your not understanding why you don't like it, and frankly not giving a damn, is quite understandable.  I don't care how many times they restore it, the film keeps fading on me.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 09:27:53 PM by S. Woody White »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #135 on: November 08, 2004, 09:20:14 PM »

Today in my Children's Literature class, we acted out scenes from Alice in Wonderland. I was the Dormouse at the mad tea party.
AHA!  Caught sleeping in class again, were you?  

;D ;)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: November 08, 2004, 09:24:04 PM »

I just ordered a nice 5x8 area rug for my den.  It will really warm up the room nicely, I think.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #137 on: November 08, 2004, 09:28:55 PM »

Not quite the right size for our crate, but it sounds good for you.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #138 on: November 08, 2004, 09:30:29 PM »

I've got DVDs to catch up on.  If I wussburger and don't get back, that's me asleep on the couch.  Toodles.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: November 08, 2004, 10:21:47 PM »

Boy are we going to have a partay starting at midnight.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: November 08, 2004, 10:22:30 PM »

Wow, I totally forgot - I just passed my new plateau - 7,000 posts, which is amazing and frightening at the same time.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #141 on: November 08, 2004, 10:31:18 PM »

I'm back...

I sort of made record time with my luggage shuffling.  I even got all of my clothes put away that needed putting away.  I made sure to do laundry my last day in Houston so all my clothes are clean!  -My momma raised me right! ;)  And I even got my comforter out of the closet, slipped it in the duvet cover and it's already for me to slip under in a few...

-And if I've forgotten anything, I'll just buy it at Macy's! ;D

Actually, part of the reason I like to going to NYC in Fall and Winter is that "fashion" is not that high a priority. Staying warm and dry is.  So...  But I did pull out some long sleeve shirts and a pair of slacks... We'll see...  And the only show we'll be seeing - at this point and time - is the final dress of Cinderella at City Opera... And we'll be seeing it with a bunch of school kids, so...

OK - I'm babbling, babbling like a runaway brook...

???

Let the par-tay begin!!!!

Laters...

*And if I don't check in in the morning... See you from New York City!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #142 on: November 08, 2004, 11:23:55 PM »

I was just about to ask MR BK if he found a rug!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #143 on: November 08, 2004, 11:30:22 PM »

Well.....it is official - my sister Molly and her husband of six years Jason are splitting up.  They met online - Jason came down from Vancouver, to visit in July, 1997, and Molly went up to see him and his family that December.  Then Jason returned in February, 1998, and they were married in March.

I still remember going up to the bus station with Molly to meet him.  He had a small suitcase and a big knapsack.  

He is returning to Canada - this time Toronto - on Friday, November 19, and Molly asked me today if I would drive him to the bus station that afternoon.  I said yes.

Jason has become like a brother to me (and I have four others) - and I know he and Molly both have made this decision together.  But I am just very sad.  MR BK described the "going away" feeling so well in BENJAMIN KRITZER, and that's the way I feel now.

Jason of course says he will stay in touch and come to visit us.  But I really have a feeling that when he gets on that bus to Toronto, we will never see him again.  

It's going to be almost unbearably sad - and I am just a brother-in-law.  All he is taking with him is his small bag and his knapsack.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #144 on: November 08, 2004, 11:39:02 PM »

That night six years ago - after we picked Jason up at the Bus Station, we stopped by the house and looked at some pictures.  :'(

Molly and Jason a few days before their wedding.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: November 08, 2004, 11:44:20 PM »

Sorry to hear about the break up.  Hopefully, he'll at least stay in touch with you.

Partay begins in fifteen count them fifteen minutes.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #146 on: November 08, 2004, 11:51:45 PM »

we're having a party?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #147 on: November 08, 2004, 11:51:56 PM »

I was just about to go to bed!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up