Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: DON'T RAIN ON MY PARADE  (Read 16368 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:DON'T RAIN ON MY PARADE
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2004, 09:20:56 AM »

:I like your version better!

der Brucer

DRDerBrucer,  thank you!  He never comes back in the book, and even Captain Andy dies a tragic death falling off the boat, as I recall.  I wonder if the author of that page ever read the novel?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2004, 09:21:35 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2004, 09:22:35 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) Page 2 Dance!!! :'( :-* :-\ :-X :-[ :P ::) ???[/move]
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2004, 09:29:23 AM »

Someone on this site, amongst my erudite peers, will know this answer since I don't:  is it starve a fever, feed a cold   OR   feed a fever, starve a cold?

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2004, 09:48:38 AM »

Sh-K-Boom Records was founded by Kurt Deutsch in 2000 with the mission of bridging the gap between pop music and theatre. The label is committed to giving a voice to the new generation of Broadway composers and stars. Its other cast albums are the premiere recordings of The Last 5 Years, Debbie Does Dallas and Amour.

With their interpretation of their mission, I suspect they will not be on Noel's Holiday Greetings list  ::)

Au contraire, Der Brucer.  I've nothing but the highest admiration for record companies that devote themselves to new work.  Getting a recording out there encourages the writers to write more.  I've always said that, someday, somehow, Jason Robert Brown is going to write a musical I'll like.  I have faith in him.  And the tracks from Amour Donald has played struck me as delightful.  I hope the young man who wrote the music will continue to write musicals for decades to come.  What's his name (and age) again?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2004, 09:56:12 AM by Noel »
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Ben

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2004, 09:48:40 AM »

Elmore, from the Straight Dope by Cecil Adams:

Dear Cecil:

My son says he has it on good authority that the phrase is "Feed a fever, starve a cold." I thought it was "Feed a cold, starve a fever." Can you tell me who's right, what it means, and who said it? --Bob White, Arroyo Grande, California

Cecil replies:

Your son thinks there's a better authority than dad? For shame. Although I realize the only way to make kids understand sometimes is to reason with them really loud.

Your version of the proverb is the traditional one, but you can find citations in the literature that have it the other way around. The idea, if not the exact wording, dates back to 1574, when a dictionary maker named Withals wrote, "Fasting is a great remedie of feuer."

You're thinking: this guy wrote a dictionarie? His medical advice wasn't so hot either. Doctors have been trying to stamp out the above piece of folklore for years. Current medical thinking is that you want to keep an even strain when you're sick with either a cold or a fever, and you certainly don't want to stress your system by stuffing or starving yourself.

Nobody's sure where the notion of feeding colds and so on arose. (It surely didn't originate with Withals.) One somewhat dubious explanation has it that the proverb really means "If you feed a cold now, you'll have to starve a fever later." A more plausible interpretation is that the feed-a-cold idea arose out of a folk understanding of the disease process, namely that there were two kinds of illnesses, those caused by low temperatures (colds and chills) and those caused by high temperatures (fever). If you had a chill, you wanted to stoke the interior fires, so you pigged. If you had a fever, you didn't want things to overheat, so you slacked off on the fuel.

Bottom line: tell your kid to chill. But I can relate. When I had sniffles as a kid the feed-a-cold thing was usually good for a few extra Twinkies. So you'll just have to forgive me if, in the delirium of a 99-degree temperature, I used to imagine it was feed a fever too.

--CECIL ADAMS

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2004, 09:54:50 AM »

Good Morning!

Final performance of A CHORUS LINE here in Houston this afternoon... In just over two hours... I better get ready...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2004, 09:55:36 AM »

DR elmore - Will I need to bring you some chicken soup this week?!?!?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2004, 09:56:47 AM »

DR mkrdl - Oohhh... New York, New York here you come!  -Or Jersey City, New Jersey (Jersey, Jersey - ??) here you come!!

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2004, 10:00:07 AM »

DR elmore - Will I need to bring you some chicken soup this week?!?!?

;)

Yes

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2004, 10:19:16 AM »

I'm really enjoying the Follies comments, both pro and con, and please everyone, don't take anything personally if someone disagrees, either yay or nay.  This show, even in its original production had audiences divided wildly.  You know my feelings, which are similar to elmore's.  Especially that every production since has diminished its power and even point.  When directors think that Carlotta is all about casting a seventy-plus Golden Age star they should not be directing Follies.  Ann Miller, Polly Bergan, both wonderful, and both completely wrong for the role in every way.  The original casting for all the Follies people was spot on in every case.  In the last revival, Betty Garrett as Hattie (I LOVE the woman) was not up to doing the part - she was approaching eighty at the time.  Ethel Shutta was in her early seventies I believe and was a fireball of energy.  When I saw the original production, I remember thinking, look how old Alexis Smith and Dorothy Collins are.  They were, of course, in their late forties at the time.  Yvonne de Carlo was in her late forties, which is the AGE of her character.  When you have a seventy-four year old woman playing that role and she's trying to come on to and pick up a twenty-one year old waiter, well, I don't think that's what the authors had in mind.  I also remember being astonished at the ending, that they didn't tie anything up.   And what I really loved about it was that it DIDN'T conform to anyone's idea of anything.  

Again, all these thoughts are tied to its original production.  I can't read scripts of musicals, even in conjunction with playing their scores - it's academic, and I miss the elements which make these musicals theater - that is, the actors, the director, the choreographer, etc.  I've read Follies many times, I've played its score many times.  I've seen badly cast and directed and choreographed revivals.  If that's all I'd seen or known I would agree with Noel.  But I saw that original production - one of the most perfectly directed, choreographed and acted pieces of theater I've ever seen - probably THE most perfect.  Miss Collins made you understand Sally and she broke your heart.  Alexis was bitchy and scary and under it all, vulnerable.  John McMartin perfectly captured the malaise that Ben is feeling.  When he "forgot" the lyrics in Live, Laugh, Love it was one of the most chilling frightening moments I've ever witnessed in the theater, so brilliantly did he do it.  The audience literally froze.  And Gene Nelson was fantastic, and The Right Girl (a number I never liked on the cast album prior to seeing it) was a revelation, especially the dance section, which is the real character part of the song, where everything comes pouring out of him.  And when the four of them (and their younger "ghosts") are all vomiting up their frustrations at the end and the stage starts to morph into the Follies - well, it just doesn't get better than that.  It was also very much a show of its era - very much of the late sixties-early seventies, when the country, as well as its people, were disillusioned.  Many who saw Follies thought they were going to see a show like No, No, Nanette, which was a big hit then in its revival - that's what they wanted, something to lighten the mood.  It's not what they got - they got a mirror instead, and believe me it made a lot of people uncomfortable and a lot of people left the theater disappointed and angry.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2004, 10:19:31 AM »

Tuesday, DW Joy Dewing opens as Mrs. Claus in Christmas Dreams, the new musical at the Grand Palace.  The theatre claims to be Missouri's largest, at 4000 seats.  Tickets are selling well, which means that, potentially, she'll be singing "We Need a Little Christmas" to 48,000 people a week.

As I stare at the Member Map, it seems to me none of the Dear Readers are close enough to Branson to get there and see it.  But one never knows about lurkers, and I'd love a report.  Anyone in Tulsa?  Fayetteville?  Is there no little girl from Little Rock here?  (Sad if there isn't.)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2004, 10:21:27 AM »

It's a bit rainy here - light, but wet.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2004, 10:39:19 AM »

Tuesday, DW Joy Dewing opens as Mrs. Claus in Christmas Dreams, the new musical at the Grand Palace.  The theatre claims to be Missouri's largest, at 4000 seats.  Tickets are selling well, which means that, potentially, she'll be singing "We Need a Little Christmas" to 48,000 people a week.

DRNoel, good vibes for Joy on a successful run as Mrs Claus!!!!

The hardest part about revivals that that often the new team thinks they know what's wrong with the show and they'll fix it, as if the original authors hadn't confronted the same problems in their own planning.  Often the rule is correct:  if it ain't broke don't try to fix it.  Here are some examples I can think of in the past few years:

110 IN THE SHADE at City Opera:  the hottest morning of the year, and the show opened with dancing.
SHE LOVES ME at Roundabout:  Arpad sings "Try Me" and jumps in bed with Mr Maraschek at the end of the number; no sense of class relationships, of employee-employer to a man who's just attempted suicide, not to mention adding "Twelve Days of Christmas" to the score in case you missed the joke in the title of "Tweve Days to Christmas."
THE KING AND I:  Donna Murphy sings "Shall I Tell You What I Think of You" as she wonders throughout the Palace in her nightie.  If she's got that freedom to come and go to the throneroom, why does she want a house and privacy outside the grounds?
THE BOYS FROM SYRACUSE at Roundabout:  everything was wrong, so why pick on that show?
THE BOYS FROM SYRACUSE at Encores!:  Susan Shulman and Rob Fisher turned Rebecca Luker's reprise of "The Shortest Day of the Year," which she's singing to her brother-in-law thinking it's her husband, into a duet between her and her real husband!
GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES:  I love Goodspeed but that revival was as bad a redo of the original as Carol Channing's LORELEI from the 1970s!
THE SOUND OF MUSIC:  by setting all the indoor scenes outdoors, with one door to the house, when Maria leaves the party in Act One to return to the convent, how could she not be seen exiting with her luggage and guitar?  Also, why was the Mother Abbess' office scene for the song "Maria" set in an area with workng nuns eavesdropping on the conference between the Mother Abbess and her staff?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2004, 10:41:06 AM by elmore3003 »

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2004, 10:50:33 AM »

I very much appreciate BK's two long paragraphs about Follies.  I now recall that I've seen three productions.  In none of them did Phyllis (Diana Rigg, Blythe Danner, 40-something Jean Tafler) convey the hint of vulnerability "underneath" that Alexis Smith did.  And I surmise those original cast portrayals must have gone a long way towards making the four leads people you care about.

As it happens, in the past hour I listened to Pat Suzuki singing I Enjoy Being a Girl from Flower Drum Song.  And what unites these shows is, perhaps, their being of their times.

An old Asian-American related how freeing it was to see I Enjoy Being a Girl 45 or so years ago.  Asian-Americans had long been marginalized in our culture, but here was a vibrant Oriental (the term in use back then) belting out a Rodgers & Hammerstein up-tempo, as normal as blueberry pie, as "American" as anyone.  He found that very empowering, as well as sexy.

I think the song is brilliant, but, times have changed, and a lot of people are embarrased by the lyrics today.  It's a shame.  I was going to say I hope to see a well-cast, well-performed production of Follies some day, but, if shows are of their time, perhaps they can never have the same impact.  Certainly, Flower Drum Song can't startle us the same way it did in 1958, and maybe one of the reasons I've never liked Live Laugh Love is that I've always known, in advance, that Ben will forget his words.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2004, 11:27:18 AM »

When Seattle's 5th Avenue Theater did Follies nine or ten years ago, Judy Kaye was Sally, Constance Towers (in a horrible wig) was Phyllis, Walter Charles (in a wonderful wig) was Ben and Ken Berry was supposed to be Buddy.  Someone else (the choreographer, maybe) played the role.  Maxine Andrews and Edie Adams were in the show (I forget which parts).  Karen Morrow was Carlotta and was incredible.  She was sexy and you really felt that she actually had a chance with the waiter.  AND she sang the hell out of the song!

[sigh] Do people still have this antiquated way of thinking? My last lover had been married for twenty years to a woman and had sired two children. That means nothing. Some people are SO insecure.
A few weeks ago I was watching the DVD of "Reno 911" and listening to the audio commentary.  They had the actor who play Lt. Dangle (the gay cop who only wears shorts) and he mentioned several times his lovely and delightful wife.  All through it I felt that he had to reaffirm his heterosexuality to the listeners.  It just seemed too obvious.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2004, 11:30:56 AM »

How many offers of Vicodan can strangers email to me?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2004, 11:35:11 AM »

How many do you want? ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2004, 11:43:53 AM »

I'm already thinking about food.  Whatever shall I eat?  It seems the light rain has given up the ghost and that the sun is even trying to peek through the crowds of clouds.

MBarnum

« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2004, 12:09:17 PM »

the sun is peaking out here too...which means I will be forced to go and mow the lawn as it is supposed to rain the rest of the week.

Went to Walmart and picked up some more $1 DVDs...all cartoons..Toonervill, Porky Pig, Felix the cat, Betty Boob, Gumby, etc.

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2004, 12:10:10 PM »

As for JRand's topic: I did not get Lil Abner the first time I saw it...couldn't even sit through it, but when I watched it again this last year I loved it!

George

« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2004, 12:11:16 PM »

Food is always good.  This afternoon, I have to usher for a concert of local high school bands and orchestras.  They're supposed to be the good bands and orchestras, but even if they're incredible, purely instrumental music tends to bore me.  It's a flaw in my personality, I know.  Anyway, after that, I'm going to my parents' house for tacos!  Homemade (well, from a mix, but cooked at home!) tacos are always good.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2004, 12:40:24 PM »

And the tracks from Amour Donald has played struck me as delightful.  I hope the young man who wrote the music will continue to write musicals for decades to come.  What's his name (and age) again?

His name is Michel Legrand and he will turn 73 on Feb 24. I, too, hope that he will write musicals for decades to come, but actuarial tables agrue against it :'(

der Brucer

PS He wrote the score for JRand's yesterday delicacy "Ice Station Zebra".
« Last Edit: November 07, 2004, 01:06:22 PM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2004, 01:09:31 PM »

Won't this be fun!

Small country pleads to UN to protest it from the French Invaders!

AP Newstory:

Ivory Coast will ask the Security Council for action against France, presidential spokesman Desire Tagro declared on state TV, adding, "We are faced with aggression by one country against another country. We are going to inform the entire world ... that France has come to attack us."

"Ivory Coast has become an overseas territory in Jacques Chirac's head," said Koulibaly, Ivory Coast's second-highest leader.

der Brucer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2004, 01:19:27 PM »

Well, STAR WARS did look amazingly sharp and clear with not a speck of dust or dirt on that transfer. The interiors, of course, were much sharper than the exteriors, and the sound, while it can't match today's surround tracks, had been nicely refurbished and that extra rear surround speaker that Dolby Digital EX uses did have a good bit of extraneous sound popping out of it. Deep bass had also been much expanded from the old Dolby Surround audio tracks on the laserdisc.

So, nice to have it looking and sounding so good. I'd still rather watch something like THE USUAL SUSPECTS or L.A. CONFIDENTIAL, however, or a classic like THE MALTESE FALCON.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2004, 01:35:22 PM »

Decided to make a batch of my famous tuna pasta salad, which should last me for two days.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2004, 02:00:44 PM »

Decided to make a batch of my famous tuna pasta salad, which should last me for two days.

From Musso and Frank to tuna pasta salad - how the mighty have fallen!

der Brucer (but it beats Whacky Noodles)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2004, 02:01:12 PM by DERBRUCER »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2004, 02:18:50 PM »

Not if you had my tuna pasta salad.  It's quite yummilicious and quite addictive.

Now, might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  You'd think it was a Sunday afternoon.  Let's get some topics, shall we?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2004, 02:51:53 PM »

Oh, dear, there's no one here but us chickens.  Skammen.  Dear reader Panni sent me an e-mail - apparently she is the toast of Italy.  I don't know what kind of toast, that's the only problem.  She neglected to say if she was white, whole wheat, or rye, or maybe even Melba.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2004, 02:52:33 PM »

This is supposed to be my day off from coming up with topics - so you people get off your Hillary and Howard Duffs and come up with some.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2004, 03:03:26 PM »

Someone on this site, amongst my erudite peers, will know this answer since I don't:  is it starve a fever, feed a cold   OR   feed a fever, starve a cold?

I always heard it as "Feed a cold, starve a fever", which makes the msot sense to me.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up