Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: I'D LIKE TO DO AN IMPRESSION OF MY TOOTH  (Read 17954 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:I'D LIKE TO DO AN IMPRESSION OF MY TOOTH
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2004, 01:41:05 PM »

..And what's up this with this proposed LAW that would make fast-forwarding through the ads and previews on a DVD at home - at HOME?!??! - illegal?!?!?!?

Illegal downloading of songs I can understand... but fast-forwarding?!?!?  Will "older" VCRs and DVD players along with their remotes become "black market" goods in the future since they have a fast-forward button?!?!?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 01:43:53 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2004, 01:45:42 PM »

Jane, re: your request for WMKV's site:

www.wmkvfm.org

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2004, 01:46:44 PM »

MusicGuy just had to go through the same thing with a crown.  His impression was more like Peter Lorre.  
Luckily, it's been a few years since I've had to go through that.  With luck, maybe I can skip it again entirely.

I left the law firm last week after 6 months.  This also means I have no more paychecks coming in-- not a good thing.  Does anyone here happen to know what I want to be when I grow up?

Gay?
[/b][/size]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2004, 01:47:50 PM »

Often misquoted as:

Why is a mouse, when it spins?
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2004, 01:49:07 PM »

And I will start the ball rolling by answering in Esperanto:

Ju pli alte, des pli malmultaj.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 01:49:50 PM by William F. Orr »
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2004, 01:52:57 PM »

elmore I TIVO'd the next episode.  

DRJane, how can you.  It hasn't played yet.  Didn't HOUSE just start this week?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 01:55:44 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2004, 02:05:44 PM »

OK... Time for my walk... -And it's still only about 65 degrees outside right now!

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2004, 02:08:24 PM »

OH...

If I recall correctly, "Laura" is also a music theorists's dream "exercise" since the tonic ("Do") doesn't "happen" until many measures into the song.  I remember doing a harmonic analysis of it college - very "juicy" stuff.  -Sheesh, I was such a geek! ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2004, 03:23:42 PM »

The BUS AND TRUCK OBC was released but only a few LP's were pressed - this was during the strike at the processing plant.  Once it was settled, the masters had been "misplaced" and so only those few thousand were ever released and are highly prized.  Also because of its limited number of units - even though it was announced as June, 1969, selection of the Columbia Record Club - those ordering the disk were sent copies of ZORBA! instead.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2004, 03:25:13 PM »

A couple of my favorite film "noir" songs are unusual in that the films were in color, and so technically I suppose were NOT noir - but their stories, attitudes, and performances WERE.

KISS ME - sung by Marilyn Monroe in NIAGARA

A KISS BEFORE DYING - title song of the film, playing on a juke box.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2004, 03:58:09 PM »

Were any lyrics EVER more depressing than for "What Now My Love"?

What now my love?
Now that you left me
How can I live through another day?
Watching my dreams turning to ashes
And my hopes into bits of clay
Once I could see
Once I could feel
Now I am numb
I've become unreal
I walk the night
Without a goal
Stripped of my heart
My soul

What now my love?
Now that it's over
I feel the world closing in on me
Here come the stars
Tumbling around me
There's the sky
Where the sea should be

What now my love?
Now that you're gone
I'd be a fool
To go on and on
No one would care
No one would cry
If I should live or die

What now my love?
Now there is nothing
Only my last goodbye
My love

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2004, 04:02:09 PM »

..And what's up this with this proposed LAW that would make fast-forwarding through the ads and previews on a DVD at home - at HOME?!??! - illegal?!?!?!?

Illegal downloading of songs I can understand... but fast-forwarding?!?!?  Will "older" VCRs and DVD players along with their remotes become "black market" goods in the future since they have a fast-forward button?!?!?

No, never fear...Radio Shack will market an "ad buster" that will allow everyone to skip every single ad/preview.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 04:11:06 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Tomovoz

« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2004, 04:26:09 PM »

And people complain about postal services:

I received a parcel today -post marked Nov 15th.  It was posted in California.

It seems in one of my internet buying frenzies I ordered the Cd of "Bus and Truck". (did someone mention that earlier!). What a wonderful organisation with which to deal. Not only are they efficient but a free bonus book "Writer's Block" was included in the parcel.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2004, 04:28:02 PM »

Well, DR's, as promised, I mentioned that when I finally organized my "new" studio space and hooked up my record player, the first thing I would do was break the seal of my copy of bk's "Together Again" that I purchased almost 6 years ago and put it on.  As I type, it's playing, quite marvey, if I should say so myself.  

François de Paris

« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2004, 04:30:41 PM »

I know France is in the Old Europe, but still we only can read about Mr Michel Colombier's passing in papers here only today!

From LAtimes.com:

November 17,  2004.
Michel Colombier, 65; Composer Was Known for His Versatility.
Michel Colombier

GOBy Myrna Oliver, Times Staff Writer

Michel Colombier, the prolific French-born composer who scored more than 100 motion pictures and television productions including "White Nights," "Against All Odds," and "Purple Rain," has died. He was 65.
Colombier, who also composed chamber music pieces and more than 20 ballets, died Sunday of cancer at his home in Santa Monica.
Often called the "godfather of French fusion" or, in Japan, "Fusion-sama," Colombier was extremely versatile, whether a script called for classical music, jazz, rock, soul or his own innovative meshing of genres. He spun out the appropriate classical phrases for Mikhail Baryshnikov's ballet steps in "White Nights" and collaborated with Prince on futuristic rock sounds for "Purple Rain" with equal aplomb.
He also worked quickly.
Colombier demonstrated both his versatility and speed in 1991 when he was asked to score the raw urban film "New Jack City" after the original composer bowed out. Waiting for gritty, rhythmic music to perform were such artists as Ice-T, 2 Live Crew and Queen Latifah.
Colombier delivered an appropriate soul and rap-laced score in just three weeks.
A gifted pianist, Colombier was classically trained at the Paris Conservatory. He became a popular recording artist and performed on the soundtracks of some of the films he scored, including "The Golden Child," starring Eddie Murphy, in 1986.
Other American films with Colombier's music include "The Money Pit" with Tom Hanks, "Ruthless People" with Danny DeVito and Bette Midler, "Surrender" with Sally Field and Michael Caine, "How Stella Got Her Groove Back" with Angela Bassett and "Swept Away" with Madonna.
He also composed for television films including "Double Switch" on ABC in 1987 and the "Desperado" series for NBC in the late 1980s. His eerie scores lent fear and mystery to HBO's "Tales From the Crypt."
Colombier worked initially in France, collaborating with such directors as Claude Lelouch and Vittorio De Sica and artists like Charles Aznavour and Catherine Deneuve. He came to the United States as musical director for Petula Clark, who introduced him to Herb Alpert. Their collaboration resulted in the Grammy-nominated album "Wings." In addition to working with the Comedie Francaise and the Ballet de l'Opera National de Paris and American Ballet Theatre, Colombier composed frequently for the more modern Twyla Tharp Dance company.
As a conductor, he directed such top orchestras as the Los Angeles Philharmonic, the Paris Opera and the London Symphony.
Among his myriad awards were the Cesar, the Edison Prize and a Tokyo Music Award.
Colombier is survived by his wife, Dana; six children, Christian, Agathe, David, Emily, Siena and Arabella; and a sister, Marie-Francoise Hoessler.
A memorial observance is being planned.

Tomovoz

« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2004, 04:30:42 PM »

I think I shall listen to "Film Noir" today. Wonderful CD by Carly Simon. (Title song by Jim Webb and Carly Simon).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2004, 04:33:05 PM »

I'm back from Mr. Kevin Spirtas' taping.  It was just five songs, but he has an impressive voice.  Not sure what his show's gonna be like.

François de Paris

« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2004, 04:36:55 PM »

Were any lyrics EVER more depressing than for "What Now My Love"?

What now my love?
Now that you left me
How can I live through another day?
Watching my dreams turning to ashes
And my hopes into bits of clay
Once I could see
Once I could feel
Now I am numb
I've become unreal
I walk the night
Without a goal
Stripped of my heart
My soul

What now my love?
Now that it's over
I feel the world closing in on me
Here come the stars
Tumbling around me
There's the sky
Where the sea should be

What now my love?
Now that you're gone
I'd be a fool
To go on and on
No one would care
No one would cry
If I should live or die

What now my love?
Now there is nothing
Only my last goodbye
My love

Yep!
I believe some French chap -- who passed away not too long ago! -- Another one! -- did write the music for those words; Gilbert Bécaud.

Too bad his musical "Madame Rosa" failed!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2004, 04:37:57 PM »

Chicago singer/pianist Audrey Morris recorded an album about a decade ago called FILM NOIR, and here are the contents:

"Spring Will Be a Little Late This Year" (CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY)

"Don't Call It Love" (I WALK ALONE)

"I Hadn't Anyone 'Til You" (IN A LONELY PLACE)

IN A LONELY PLACE has to be one of the strangest movies that I have ever enjoyed.  And I really do enjoy it.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2004, 04:51:44 PM »

On the final page of my "Oliver" vocal score, it says "end of opera".... can anyone tell me why anyone would consider "Oliver" an opera??

About 10 years ago or so, I remember reading a book about music theater ("theatre" actually) and opera.  The author had a section on Sondheim's shows and said something about the "opera" A Funny Thing Happened On the Way to the Forum, "...oh yes, it's an opera."  I really had to laugh at that one! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2004, 05:01:38 PM »

To a matter of pedantry--and I hope I can out-pedant derBrucer any day of the week:  People, it's neither film noirs nor films noir.  It's films noirs.  So named after the French actress Bette Noire.
Great, now I've got two pedants in my life.  *sigh*

;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2004, 05:06:49 PM »

Charles Pogue thank you!! I’m listening to it right now and am enjoying the music so much I’m having a difficult time reading the posts.

Elmore when I say I TIVO’d, I mean I programmed TIVO to record HOUSE every week. It is how TIVO works.  You can get a season pass to your favorite shows and never worry about recording them again.  I even tell TIVO to only record first run episodes.

Tomovoz, LOL.  It took me just as long to receive my order of a book with a free CD.  Keith wants to know who got the better deal.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2004, 05:07:54 PM »

And in other news:  People Magazine has just appointed Jude Law "Sexiest Man Alive", once again passing over the legitimate title holder, our very own Brent Barrett.  Well, at least Jude is sexy, as opposed to, say, BenAf.

Jude Law may be People Magazine's "Sexiest Man Alive," but Brent Barrett is the "World's Sexiest Man Alive," which trumps (no relation to the Donald) the non-world-wide People Magazine's "Sexiest Man Alive." ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2004, 05:18:22 PM »

I suppose someone is going to tell me that L. Bernstein's Mass is an opera.  I've always thought of it as a "theater piece," as it's composer said.  (And it did play Broadway, so it has to be a musical, right?)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2004, 05:19:37 PM »

This working record player thing is VERY exciting.  It's set up near my computer and hooked up to the amp that my computer is, making vinyal transfers easier.  But the good thing about the whole thing is that I haven't visited my records in quite a while, I have no clue what is there!  While pulling out bk's "Together Again", I found an LP of "Show Boat" with Cleo Lane.  Too fun, I'm sure!  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2004, 05:24:54 PM »

Der Brucer will be off to Maryland tomorrow, to join the older grandlad for "Grandparent's Day" at school.

The grandparents have been asked to bring along something (or plural) that they own that is "old".  I offered to go, but was turned down as not being old enough.   ::)

Instead, der B is putting together a "treasure box" of old items.  One item is a book he read when he was the older grandlad's age, about a trip Mickey and Minnie Mouse, along with Donald Duck, take cross country.  They don't write books like this any more.  No, really, somewhere along the line what a seven-year-old was expected to read became much more simplistic, or if you prefer today's lingo, dumbed down.

He's also taking a 45 rpm single of Elton John and his merry band, as much for the photo on the slipcover as for the idea of 45s.  Elton and crew are wearing clothes much like what der B wore when the grandlad's mother was the grandlad's age.

Der B's taste in clothes has much improved since then.

Michael

« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2004, 05:26:26 PM »

Catching up on some earlier postings. Re: The First Roadshow I ever saw.

Was Mary Poppins released as a roadshow?

If not it then had to be: The Sound of Music. And I remember they played: Oh Canada and God Save Our Gracious Queen.

Which I thought was a strange thing to do before a movie. Especially since I was living in the USA at the time.

just kidding.

It was at the now boarded up and abandoned theater in Montreal called The Seville which was a block from the old Montreal Forum. It played for over three years. The next roadshow was at the theater was Half A Sixpense whose run was cut short when the soda machine short circuited and cause a fire that destroyed the lobby.

I
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2004, 05:28:31 PM »

Are the cupon codes still working at deep discount dvd?
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2004, 05:36:44 PM »

So the Producers duo is getting a new gig, for next year.

Lane and Broderick would play Oscar Madison and Felix Unger in Simon's classic The Odd Couple. Lane would be the sloppy sportswriter Madison, while Broderick would be the uptight photographer Felix Unger (the twosome might also switch roles at some performances, it has been reported).

Personally, the idea of the two switching roles is the only attractive part of this deal, IMO.  Otherwise, they're just playing the same old relationship again.  (That, and I like the idea of pairing Lane with Sarah Jessica Parker and Broderick with whoever Lane is bunking these days...no, wait, that's swapping, a totally different concept.)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2004, 05:40:09 PM »

Catching up on some earlier postings. Re: The First Roadshow I ever saw.

Was Mary Poppins released as a roadshow?
I think it would have been.  I know der B has commented several times to me about seeing the roadshow engagement of The Happiest Millionaire, which Disney released after MP as part of a plan to release one big musical each year.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up