Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: RUMINATING  (Read 47132 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:RUMINATING
« Reply #120 on: December 28, 2006, 03:11:18 PM »

Yes, it's Mr. Auteuil, who is wonderful.  Not Isabelle though - Emmanuel Beart.

Oh!  Mais, bien sur!

*Now, if only "La Lectrice" would be available in a Region 1 DVD format.  No Mssr. Auteuil, nor Madame Beart, but Miou-Miou!
Make Your Own Luck.

François

« Reply #121 on: December 28, 2006, 03:12:21 PM »

Two other Sautet masterpieces:

Les Choses de la vie, (1970)

César et Rosalie (1972)  also with Yves Montand.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #122 on: December 28, 2006, 03:34:59 PM »

A pair o'ducs is what I like to have served on a brisk wintery evening - with a Bing Cheery glaze, please.

der Brucer
Subtle hinting.   ::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #123 on: December 28, 2006, 03:38:25 PM »

...Have shaved...
So much for the beard.

(Of course, you could have meant shaving your head and leaving the beard, but that look is so cliched today...)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: December 28, 2006, 03:42:14 PM »

The Hugo's mac and cheese is one of those nouveau affairs - corkscrew pasta, multiple cheeses - it's excellent, but I wish they wouldn't call it mac and cheese.  I use to love Koo Koo Roo's mac and cheese, but Koo Koo Roo is completely worthless now and is a shoddy joke.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: December 28, 2006, 03:42:48 PM »

I'm really enjoying and savoring Un Coeur en Hiver.

MBarnum

« Reply #126 on: December 28, 2006, 03:53:24 PM »

I walkd past MUSSO AND FRANKS many times while in L.A. but didn't think I could even afford to so much as order a soda there.

MBarnum

« Reply #127 on: December 28, 2006, 03:54:10 PM »

My favorite place to eat was that 101 Cafe that DR Musicguy introduced me to. Good food and good prices!

FJL

« Reply #128 on: December 28, 2006, 03:59:57 PM »

It took a long time to catch up.  Had no time to check out HHW in the office.

FJL

« Reply #129 on: December 28, 2006, 04:02:09 PM »

Having company over for dinner in 5 minutes.  Skip made a pasta pie, which smells great, even if it is encased in eggplant.

Tomovoz

« Reply #130 on: December 28, 2006, 04:16:17 PM »

Aubergine Pastapie  Isn't she famous for something?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Cason

• The time is nigh!
« Reply #131 on: December 28, 2006, 04:17:31 PM »

elmore -- Whenever you show up, just know that the packages arrived today, and I, of course, laughed when I saw the two CD's you had sent.  So, a million thanks to you sir!
Art touches people in ways that words can't and my goal in life is to touch as many people as possible.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #132 on: December 28, 2006, 04:21:22 PM »

The Hugo's mac and cheese is one of those nouveau affairs - corkscrew pasta, multiple cheeses - it's excellent, but I wish they wouldn't call it mac and cheese.  I use to love Koo Koo Roo's mac and cheese, but Koo Koo Roo is completely worthless now and is a shoddy joke.
Timing strikes again.  I was reading Bill Buford's Heat during my break at work, and came across the following passage:

...Until the second half of the twentieth century, "pasta" wasn't really a kitchen word (you almost never see it in the old cookbooks) but an inventory word, meaning a food, any food, savory or sweet, made with dough....Instead of dried pasta, you had macaroni.  That had been the generic word people used for five centuries or so, meaning not just the tubular kind but all kinds, originating in Sicily and then spreading to Sardinia and Naples and shipped through Genoa to the principal ports of Europe.  Thomas Jefferson ate it in France and was so taken with it that he dispatched trunkloads home, becoming the first person to introduce dried pasta to the United States.
That being the case, the use of corkscrew pasta - rotelli - makes perfectly good sense, as it has all those nooks for the cheesey sauce to cling to.  That's also why Kraft uses shells for some of their more upscale pasta and cheese mixes - they hold onto the sauce better.  And the corkscrews and shells are, indeed, "mac".

Now, if they were using fresh pasta instead of dried, there would be a problem, as fresh pasta has an entirely different heritage - it even uses a different kind of flour.  But that's worth discussing at another time.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #133 on: December 28, 2006, 04:26:45 PM »

Aubergine Pastapie was a member of the New York City avante garde art movement in the early 1960's.  Her primary contribution was a series of canvasses painted in monochromatic purples.  She then took to wearing nothing but purple, including all of her make-up.  When "happenings" became the newest art trend, she had buckets of paint poured over her while she recited long rambling monologues that contained (you guessed it) lots of purple prose.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: December 28, 2006, 04:29:49 PM »

elmore -- Whenever you show up, just know that the packages arrived today, and I, of course, laughed when I saw the two CD's you had sent.  So, a million thanks to you sir!

Laughs are good.

And where may I ask is Ms Karen Murphy?

« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 04:45:15 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #135 on: December 28, 2006, 04:33:25 PM »

Thank you SWW.  I knew the information was lurking there somewhere.

I'm sure there's a connection with Woody Allen there too.  Something to do with  Joe Cairo I think.

I don't think it's the Purple Prose of Casablanca.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #136 on: December 28, 2006, 04:36:43 PM »

Time to start getting dinner on the table.  Baked taters, roasted beets, steaks...

I've also got some tangerines and blood oranges that I could use in a salad, but that might not meld well with the other flavors.   :-\

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #137 on: December 28, 2006, 04:43:20 PM »

I actually liked the movie FArgo and I am acquainted with the actress who played Mrs. Lundegaard.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #138 on: December 28, 2006, 04:44:27 PM »

TOTD:

Helen Mirren in the Queen (I will be grossly disappointed if she is not nominated for an Oscar)
Meryl Streep in Devil Wears Prada
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #139 on: December 28, 2006, 04:46:34 PM »

I have just plugged in and am now using a dandy little Christmas gift from my sister and brother-in-law--a wireless optical mouse for my laptop.  My previous mouse was also an optical one, but the cord was incredibly short and, considering that the USB ports are on the left hand side and I'm a righty, it made for rather cumbersome use.  Now I can interface completely untethered.  

Ain't technology grand?

I also have a wireless mouse and I love it.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #140 on: December 28, 2006, 04:52:35 PM »

MBarnum, I also do not open some emails at work. I have a freind who sends me some VERY .... Interesting jokes....

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #141 on: December 28, 2006, 04:54:16 PM »

George, I am not a fan of Starbucks....

I prefer a local one in Fargo or Gloria Jeans.  To me Starbucks is expensive and tastes burnt to me.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #142 on: December 28, 2006, 04:56:54 PM »

DerBrucer, on your list of overrated classics, there are several on that list I would agree with you on. A couple of them I have seen and literally fell asleep.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #143 on: December 28, 2006, 04:57:19 PM »

I prefer a local one in Fargo or Gloria Jeans.  To me Starbucks is expensive and tastes burnt to me.

I don't like coffee at all. :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #144 on: December 28, 2006, 05:00:22 PM »

I like coffee way too well. I also like tea

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: December 28, 2006, 05:10:17 PM »

Finished the marvelous Un Coeur de Hiver and now must seek out every Claude Sautet film - I have none on DVD but this, and I saw most of his films as they came out and I loved them all.

François

« Reply #146 on: December 28, 2006, 05:26:59 PM »

tastes burnt to me.

"Come to me
Burnt to me
Kiss me good day!"

Just a joke! ;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #147 on: December 28, 2006, 05:29:02 PM »

Good evening all. I spent part of the day transferring some of the 78s from my dad.  I am amazed that some of them that are cracked and appear to be missing little pieces of the surface still work!  The home made 78s are a variety of things. One is my dad singing at age 14, I never would have guessed it's him.  Anyway, I'm taking my time with it, but I'm enjoying listening to them.   I did clean them with a few drops of distilled water and a microfiber cloth. It seems to be working well.

Tomovoz

« Reply #148 on: December 28, 2006, 05:31:29 PM »

"Come to me
Burnt to me
Kiss me good day!"

Just a joke! ;)

DR Elmore's favourite ALW song!
James Thurber 1957

François

« Reply #149 on: December 28, 2006, 05:32:49 PM »

Indian dance!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Up