Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: RUMINATING  (Read 47132 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:RUMINATING
« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2006, 01:11:34 PM »

PAGE FOUR DANCE!!  The B&B Tumbling Tumbler!!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #91 on: December 28, 2006, 01:13:13 PM »

In between various phone calls, I did get a couple of things watched.

Started off with another CSI episode from Season 6. This one involved the death of a woman on the stairs of her home. A more involved murder plot than first appeared, and since this one case took the entire team, it was nice not to have an investigation split into two or three (or even sometimes four) cases.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2006, 01:16:30 PM »

Those lists of 20 most "anything" are always designed to stir folks up and cause controversy. True, some of those films on the list might have won more awards than they were due, but "overrated" by whom?

Matt H.

« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2006, 01:17:56 PM »

Next I watched INSIDE MAN. As so often happens with recent films, BK and I are on opposite sides of the room on this one. I found it crisply directed, ingeniously written, and excellently performed.

Matt H.

« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2006, 01:21:39 PM »

DR Edi,

I have not mailed your LIFE AFTER TOMORROW yet. As I was transferring it, I noticed there were problems with the transmission of the standard letterboxed version of the film the night I recorded it. (The HD transmission came off without a hitch, but I didn't want to burn a copy of that one for you since it'd have two sets of letterboxing bars: one for the film and one tacked on by my DVD recorder when one tries to make a copy of a HD source.)

The film is airing on another Showtime channel as I type this, and I'm recording it on the DVR. Hopefully, there will be no satellite trouble with the transmission, and I can burn you a clean copy tonight and put it in the mail tomorrow.

Sorry for the delay, but I assume you'd want your friends to have the best possible copy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #95 on: December 28, 2006, 01:23:32 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Well, I ended up heading over to the Container Store, so I now have boxes in various sizes.  Now I just need to tape them up and put things in them.

...And to tell the truth, as I was doing my mental inventory of what I needed to pack up here, a twinge of "bittersweet" came upon me.  Not only does this end a four and half month (WOW! Was I really back here that long?!?!?!) stint here at Arena Stage, but it brings to a close an almost ten-year off and on gig here.  I know I probably felt like this last year at this time when Damn Yankees closed, but this time I know I mean it.  -If that makes sense.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 01:24:18 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #96 on: December 28, 2006, 01:23:37 PM »

They ARE from Olympia!  I don't drink coffee, but everyone who drinks theirs says that they're better than Starbucks.  AND the Washington Center for the Performing Arts only serves their coffee. :)

Based on my results in their online Coffee Personality analysis, I'll have the Guatemala Antigua Finca El Valle, please!  It also said I'm "sophistication personified," which says a lot about the validity of such instruments  ::)
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #97 on: December 28, 2006, 01:37:50 PM »

OH!  And since there was an Apple Store next to The Container Store, I went ahead and put my Apple Gift Card to good use and picked myself up a new iPod nano.  And with the new-ish (PRODUCT)RED program/promotion, I was able to contribute to a good cause with my purchase.  *Although, I do have to admit, that I think the RED color looks cool too.  ;)

Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #98 on: December 28, 2006, 01:39:33 PM »

Based on my results in their online Coffee Personality analysis, I'll have the Guatemala Antigua Finca El Valle, please!  It also said I'm "sophistication personified," which says a lot about the validity of such instruments  ::)

Guess they nailed me:

Unusual and unabashed describes your taste in flavors (and probably your clothes, too!). If other people think it's too strong or too stinky then you're sure to love it.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #99 on: December 28, 2006, 01:42:22 PM »

Does it play the Internationale?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ginny

« Reply #100 on: December 28, 2006, 01:44:33 PM »

Oooo, DR Jose, I've been admiring that red iPod myself.  And, in a slight change of plans, I will be going to the Cincinnati Apple Store when my computer goes in for its upgrade.  DH Richard and I decided to go on Saturday.  Note to self: Restraint!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #101 on: December 28, 2006, 01:54:55 PM »

Off to clean the bedroom areas and then back to viewing.

WBBL.

François

« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2006, 02:10:11 PM »

Note to BK:

Mr Patrice Leconte's new movie MON MEILLEUR AMI is VERY moving! OK, the direction is nothing to write home about; it seems it was filmed with TV in mind like so many movies today. Close ups after close ups!
But the story treatment is beguiling and the main actors are faboo!
Danie Auteuil is one of "our" best French actors, and Dany Boon, a French Belgian stand up comic turned actor is very good here too!

http://www.monmeilleurami-lefilm.com/
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 02:15:49 PM by François »

MBarnum

« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2006, 02:11:28 PM »

I am working on my article for THE BRAIN FROM PLANET X which will run in CLASSIC IMAGES magazine. They want it to only be about 250 words.

I am having a difficult time but I have managed to whittle it down to 328 words so far.

Of course there will be pictures also.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: December 28, 2006, 02:20:11 PM »

Note to BK:

Mr Patrice Leconte's new movie MON MEILLEUR AMI is VERY moving! OK, the direction is nothing to write home about; it seems it was filmed with TV in mind like so many movies today. Close ups after close ups!
But the story treatment is beguiling and the main actors are faboo!
Danie Auteuil is one of "our" best French actors, and Dany Boon, a French Belgian stand up comic turned actor is very good here too!

http://www.monmeilleurami-lefilm.com/

That is cause for rejoicing!  My favorite director working today.  I only hope it finds its way here to the US or, if not, that the French DVD will have American subtitles (not always the case with Mr. Leconte's films issued in France).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: December 28, 2006, 02:21:44 PM »

Back from a very nice lunch with Miss Julie Stevens.  We discussed many things (she has a project she'd like to do, and, unless I'm misreading the signs, she seems to be interested in me to be involved - don't really know in what way, although director might be at least a guess), and the food at Hugo's was, as always, excellently excellent.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: December 28, 2006, 02:24:11 PM »

I suspect dear reader MattH likes these movies with "twists" more than I do.  There wasn't one in Inside Man that I didn't see coming a mile away, and I just hated the way it was directed and written, and the fact that Jodie Foster was part of it makes me doubt her sanity or at least question whether she has any motives for making films anymore other than monetary ones.  Polar opposites, MattH and I.  Different strokes for different folks.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: December 28, 2006, 02:25:06 PM »

I will have to figure out which DVD to watch this evening, but for now I'm watching a lovely little French film called Un Coeur de Hiver, from director Claude Sautet (a wonderful director).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: December 28, 2006, 02:36:04 PM »

I've cleared the jernt out.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: December 28, 2006, 02:36:33 PM »

I must say, I'm quite fond of Hugo's mac and cheese - it's not traditional, but it's quite yummilicious.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: December 28, 2006, 02:36:50 PM »

Tomorrow I'm lunching at Musso and Frank.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #111 on: December 28, 2006, 02:38:03 PM »

I will have to figure out which DVD to watch this evening, but for now I'm watching a lovely little French film called Un Coeur de Hiver, from director Claude Sautet (a wonderful director).

I love that movie!  I remember seeing it at a long-gone art house here in Georgetown when it first came out.  -And, if I'm remembering correctly, the aforementioned Daniel Auteuil is one of the stars.  -With Isabelle Huppert?  And the performances of the Ravel chamber works are pretty good too.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: December 28, 2006, 02:39:31 PM »

It's really quite a beautiful day here in the City of Studio.  I did go to the post office and while there weren't all that many people in line, the idiots at the counter were, as always, completely unprepared for their visit, and therefore taking endless amounts of time making decisions and doing things they could have done at home instead of wasting everyone's time.  I cannot stomach those people, and they're there every day - they come, and they have to hear every option known to man, have to look at every type of stamp, need to fill out forms - everything that can be done in advance.  I, on the other hand, am always prepared, everything filled out and attached the way it should be, and the employees LOVE me for it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: December 28, 2006, 02:40:31 PM »

I love that movie!  I remember seeing it at a long-gone art house here in Georgetown when it first came out.  -And, if I'm remembering correctly, the aforementioned Daniel Auteuil is one of the stars.  -With Isabelle Huppert?  And the performances of the Ravel chamber works are pretty good too.

Yes, it's Mr. Auteuil, who is wonderful.  Not Isabelle though - Emmanuel Beart.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: December 28, 2006, 02:54:04 PM »

I see people - but I don't see posts.  An enigma.

François

« Reply #115 on: December 28, 2006, 02:59:28 PM »

Another Sautet I would recommend:

Nelly et Monsieur Arnaud

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113947/

also with Emmanuelle Béart who, once, was married to.... Daniel Auteuil!
Small world!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 03:03:07 PM by François »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: December 28, 2006, 03:01:50 PM »

Mr. Sautet has made many marvelous films - I especially like Vincent, Francois, Paul et let autres...  Most, if not all of his films have scores by Philippe Sarde.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #117 on: December 28, 2006, 03:06:40 PM »

Tomorrow I'm lunching at Musso and Frank.

These faces are for your good luck and faboo dining adventure....
        ;)   :D   :)   ::)   ;D   :)   :D   ;)  

And these faces are mine, 'cause I don't get to go along....
                 :-[   :'(   :P   ???   :(   :-\   >:(   :-\   :'(  

François

« Reply #118 on: December 28, 2006, 03:09:34 PM »

Mr. Sautet has made many marvelous films - I especially like Vincent, Francois, Paul et let autres...  Most, if not all of his films have scores by Philippe Sarde.

"Vincent, François, Paul et Les Autres has one of my favourite actors of all time Yves Montand and a very young Depardieu.

It is said, mainly by his widow, that Montand, in real life, was very much like the character he portrays in that film!

Besides, how many of you know that he was a terrific singer?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 03:14:14 PM by François »

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #119 on: December 28, 2006, 03:09:35 PM »

Well, as there isn't a great flurry going on at the moment, maybe you, BK, could share what the differences are that set the mac & cheese at Hugo's apart from other traditional ones.

By the way, have you ever had the mac & cheese at M&F ??  It is also somewhat different.... not a yellow cheese sauce at all, but a white sharper cheese, then gratineed undaer a salamander so that the top is nice and crusty.

Drool......yum......slobber......groan
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up