Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: I RAISE  (Read 14591 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:I RAISE
« Reply #120 on: June 04, 2005, 09:09:15 PM »

Late night question for BK:  When the business for Kritzerland starts to take off, will you consider moving back to NYC?  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #121 on: June 04, 2005, 09:11:59 PM »

So, a question for all the other DRs: What other CDs do you think would be appropriate, and enjoyable, for a couple of lads aged five and eight?  I've already picked out You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown as our next disc to introduce them to.

The library where I work just received the new CD of Captain Louie, based on Ezra Jack Keats children's book THE TRIP, with songs by Stephen Schwartz.  I haven't gotten it yet, but the one review on amazon.com gives it five stars.

Also, what about:

Bugys Malone
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
It's a Bird! It's a Plane! It's Superman!
Snoopy (especially after Charlie Brown)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2005, 09:12:49 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #122 on: June 04, 2005, 09:13:23 PM »

Page 5 Dance:

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #123 on: June 04, 2005, 09:14:48 PM »

Good Evening!

Good matinee.  FUN evening show.  There was a small group in the front two rows, and they were all having a wonderful time.  There were laughing at everything, and I mean everything!  And it didn't even appear like they were drunk!  ;)

There was one gentleman who kept singing along throughout the show.  Singing along loud enough for me to hear him down in the pit.  With my headphones on!  I guess he just had one of those voices that carries very well.  I would look up every now and then, and he would catch himself singing along and sort of clamp his hand over his mouth.

And then there were the ladies...  They were admiring my origami before the show, and were scoping out my "station" - "Oh, look, that's a kangaroo.  Oh, that's his pile of papers.  See, there, he's started to fold something..."  One of the ladies in the front row had a pair of binoculars with her - they didn't realize they had such good - and close seats.  Well, when the young men of the ensemble came out in their wetsuits and flippers, she put her binoculars to use.  As did her friends sitting around her.  Lots of oooh-ing and aahhh-ing.  Well, in the middle of the number, when Sky get pants'd, and is just standing on stage in his underwear/bathing suit, one of the friends in the row behind her grabbed the binoculars... While they were still strung around the ladie's (in the front row) neck!  It was just like out of a sitcom.

Needless to say, they provided the pit with plenty of entertainment throughout the evening.

-And I did give them a few folds after the Playout music.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #124 on: June 04, 2005, 09:21:49 PM »

Between shows, some of us headed over to AV Ristorante Italiano up on New York Avenue.  This is a classic red-and-white-checked tablecloth sort of space.  Dark wood paneling.  And marinara sauce on everything.  *In fact, they do not serve anything with a cream sauce - no Alfredo anything on the menu.  And the prices and portions can't be beat.

We started off with their white pizza with fontina cheese.  We all could have just supped on that alone.  A great, crisp crust topped with olive oil, garlic, spices and fontina cheese.  Very simple, and very good.

For me entree, I had the Spaghetti Caruso - spaghetti topped with peppers and onions and chicken livers.  My tablemates had the lasagna and the pork cutlet.  All very good, and in generous portions.

We almost did dessert, but after sitting there and digesting for a bit, we passed and headed back to theatre.

But, of course, that didn't stop me from making a stop at Teaism for a serving of their Coconut Rice Pudding (sooooooo good), and one of their Salted Oatmeal Cookies (for intermission).

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #125 on: June 04, 2005, 09:24:00 PM »

As for MAMMA MIA! in October...  I'm not sure if I'll be in any pit in NYC come that time.  It's a possibility, but only one at this time.  Besides, I'd rather be out with the bunch that night instead of pounding some keys.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #126 on: June 04, 2005, 09:27:54 PM »

And in other Mamma Mia! news...

We finally got the "keyboard schedule" for the next three weeks.

I'm off tomorrow.

I'm off all next week.

And I'm only scheduled to play the two Saturday shows the following week.

And, best of all, I still get paid for the full week of shows regardless!

DR Rodzinski - Is your guest room available?

;)

DR elmore - I should have definitely have time to meet up with you while you're in town.  In fact, if I could tag along with you guys at the LoC, I would love to do that.  It's been a while since I've paid a visit to the Music room there.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #127 on: June 04, 2005, 09:36:06 PM »

My friend Zach who has worked a few seasons at Putnam County Playhouse (the above referenced jernt) - was also studying acting at Indiana University.  Last December, Mr Scott LeFaber came to guest direct a production of HAPPY BIRTHDAY, WANDA JUNE and Zach was in it as the Vacuum Cleaner Salesman.

Mr LeFaber told Zach to get himself to NYC and audition for the Circle in the Square Summer Program.  Zach did so, and last week was offered a contract - he will be in NYC this summer!  I am sure it is because he had Putnam County Playhouse on his resume, and Circle In The Square is where a show is playing called ---you know: The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.  I don't know what kind of public presentations the students do there, but if you go see one, NYC HHW'ers, look for Mr Zachary Spicer.

Scott LaFeber is also the Artistic Director for The New Harmony Theatre in New Harmony, Indiana - where I almost would have been during this time right now - and he used to be on faculty at the University of Southern Indiana.  Now, he splits his time between Boston and New York.

He's such a great guy, all around.  And he has a great story of how he saved his own career back when he was doing soaps.  And, how, consequently, he ended up racking up some ratings for the soap he was on.  -Which I can't remember right now.  It was one of those situations, where someone asked what he would like to happen to his character... And they ran with it!  He was about to be killed off, but...

Scott is a great judge of talent, and is always is supportive of the the "new ones", especially those still and/or just out of school/training programs.  I'm sure your friend, Zach, will have a wonderful time at Circle.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: June 04, 2005, 09:45:11 PM »

A digital recordist operates the Pro Tools machine.  It's what Vinnie has been doing for the last few years - it was nice to get him back doing what he does best, which is engineering.

I would not move back to NY permanently - but I'm sure I'll be going back and forth a lot.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #129 on: June 04, 2005, 09:46:13 PM »

The library where I work just received the new CD of Captain Louie, based on Ezra Jack Keats children's book THE TRIP, with songs by Stephen Schwartz.  I haven't gotten it yet, but the one review on amazon.com gives it five stars.

Also, what about:

Bugys Malone
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
It's a Bird! It's a Plane! It's Superman!
Snoopy (especially after Charlie Brown)

Hmmm....

I have a feeling that even though the songs may sound "innocent", Bugsy Malone, Forum, and Superman may cause some questions should the lads start to really listen to the lyrics.  -Especially, Forum.

How about Seussical?

Willy Wonka - They just released the CD of the recent Kennedy Center presentation.

Tom Sawyer - The recent Broadway flop.  A fun listen.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: June 04, 2005, 09:47:06 PM »

Back from dinner with La Deutsch.  She insisted on hearing the Guy Haines album in its entirety, so we drove around whilst I played it for her.  She professed to love every minute of it, which was very nice to hear, since she's the first one to hear it all the way through.  She went on and on about it, and her favorite track on the album is the Craig Carnelia song, Cowboy Waltz.  I saw a potential cover today and it made me laugh out loud, so we may go with it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #131 on: June 04, 2005, 09:52:27 PM »

Finally got around to watching the season finale to LAW & ORDER: SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT. John Dossett was the top billed guest star and he was marvelous. And, oh, to see those lustrous blue eyes of his in high definition is a sight to see, "a sight for sore eyes," so to speak  :)

Michelle Pawk is one lucky lady.

I had the extreme pleasure of working with Mr. Dossett when I was the rehearsal pianist for A Little Night Music at the Kennedy Center.  He was playing Fredrik.  Truly one of the nicest people I've ever met and had the pleasure of working with.

And, yes, those eyes...  Swoon, big time!  And he has the neatest color of "gray" hair - it's sort of flaxen, lustrous. -Not that I was looking at him that much...

;)

And then when they would rehearse the "Now, Soon, Later," sequence, and John would undress down to his boxer-briefs...

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #132 on: June 04, 2005, 09:53:00 PM »

Good evening all.
I made an impromptu trip over to Ellensburg last night to join in a poker night of my own.  We played Texas Hold 'Em the entire time, and I rather enjoyed it.  I didn't last very long...fourth or fifth to go out, out of about 10 people.  It was fun, though.  Then back over to Tacoma this afternoon, a quiet relaxing afternoon around the apartment, some yummy marinated chicken for dinner, a warm bath just now...and now I'm watching the 1987 Dan Akroyd (yes, I know i spelled that wrong) Tom Hanks version of Dragnet.  A little guilty pleasure of mine, I confess.  

I don't know from the TOD, so I'll remain silent on that matter

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #133 on: June 04, 2005, 09:54:26 PM »

Dr Jane - Good to "see" you in LA!  Please give Penny a big hug for me when and if you get to see her.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #134 on: June 04, 2005, 09:56:44 PM »

DR SWW - Congrats on the employment!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #135 on: June 04, 2005, 10:05:10 PM »

I have submitted my answer to the TRIVIA QUESTION...whew!  It was hard, but if you can find a couple of the KEY pieces, you can get it!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #136 on: June 04, 2005, 10:06:57 PM »

Yes DRJOSE - oh dear I spelled Scott's name wrong, but yes he also works at the New Harmony facility, or did.  I am very excited for Zachary, maybe I can find a picture of him so here at HHW you can see another star in the making.  Jessica Skerritt and the girl MATTH mentioned earlier today....Metz....can't remember her first name....grrrrr...  Age, you know.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #137 on: June 04, 2005, 10:07:47 PM »

Yes there are several "binocular" moments in MAMMA MIA!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #138 on: June 04, 2005, 10:09:37 PM »

Well my cousin, bless her, who directed and choreographed OLIVER! is a dance-gymnastic teacher, and of course those kinds of directors do shows that end up looking a LOT like recitals, but ANYWAY - in "Food Glorious Food" one of the young orphans did a backflip (I know, I know) and lost a pair of dice out of his pocket.  I commented to my ticket-selling mate:  "That's what I call making seven the hard way."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #139 on: June 04, 2005, 10:38:08 PM »

Future Tony Award Winner: Mr Zachary Spicer.  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #140 on: June 04, 2005, 10:38:54 PM »

MR BK you did say that even though we get a "bounce" message, that you get our responses....did you not say?  Did you not?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #141 on: June 04, 2005, 10:56:06 PM »

MR BK can your web designer used DISSOLVING text?

Bruce Kimmel becomes KRITZERLAND

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #142 on: June 04, 2005, 10:57:18 PM »

I am watching COLOSSUS THE FORBIN PROJECT.

All of these 60's and 70's computer movies look so strange now.  All of use probably have computers in our homes with the capability of the super computers they show.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #143 on: June 04, 2005, 10:58:13 PM »

Eric Braeden had been a favorite of mine since THE RAT PATROL next on ABC in Color!  So I was very excited to see him on the BIG drive in SCREEN!  And he turned up in his undies, too.  An unexpected bonus.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #144 on: June 04, 2005, 10:58:48 PM »

Okay....time for to go to bed.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: June 04, 2005, 11:03:32 PM »

Yes, the mail is getting to me, so no worries.  I've pretty much decided not to have my name as part of the logo.  No reason, really - people will know, and there's an "Ask Bruce Kimmel" icon on the menu bar.  

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #146 on: June 04, 2005, 11:12:14 PM »

I was thinking Cats might be a good CD for the grandlads to experience.  We have the show on DVD, which will help them understand the show.  What bothers me is that our CD doesn't have the lyrics included, or much in the way of illustrations.  The lads like having something to look at while they listen, particularly Alex, who has decided he does like to read after all.

We may need to get a book, with pics and lyrics.  

SWW, I am sure you could find one of the color programs from the Broadway production of CATS on ebay.  I doubt that it would be very expensive.  If you kept it in the car for them when they listened to the CD, they might enjoy seeing the pictures from the production.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #147 on: June 04, 2005, 11:20:15 PM »

It's almost 11:30 p.m. and I just remembered to check my mail (outside, in my actual mailbox).  Guess what was in it!  It was my sparkling prize for correctly answering one of the 30th Anniversary Nudie Musical trivia questions from last month (and the trivia contest was on my birthday!)!  I received the CD "Widescreen:  The Collector's Edition" by Rupert Holmes!  Thanks, BK! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #148 on: June 04, 2005, 11:22:38 PM »

I got Widescreen as well, George, and I've listened to it several times already. Great liner notes, and great bonus tracks. Lots of fun.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #149 on: June 04, 2005, 11:32:01 PM »

Since my son is apparently out partying with the cast, I guess it will be up to me to report on tonight's show.  Amazingly enough, the entire production seemed sharper and tighter tonight than it was last night.  The audience was with us all the way.  We received a standing ovation for the second night in a row, but unfortunately, since our leading lady doesn't believe in taking a second bow, we basically turned our back on the standing O, and left the stage.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up