Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: DOWN TO THE WIRE  (Read 24549 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:DOWN TO THE WIRE
« Reply #240 on: January 12, 2006, 08:56:15 PM »

And as for L5Y...

If one were to listen to a tape of the original Chicago production with Lauren Kennedy... When there was a different song than "Shiksa Goddess"... And some different lyrics in other songs.. Well...

:-X
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 08:57:00 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #241 on: January 12, 2006, 08:56:22 PM »

Looking ahead at TCM's program guide, I see that THE GREEN PASTURES is going to be shown in the next couple of days, so I'll record it and watch for "free" before committing any money for the DVD.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #242 on: January 12, 2006, 08:58:24 PM »

Rexella?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #243 on: January 12, 2006, 08:59:56 PM »

And when TCM does its 31 Days of Oscar (or however many days they give it), I'm sure King Vidor's HALLELUJAH will be shown, too, since he was Oscar nominated for directing it.

I will set my sights to catch it this time around.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #244 on: January 12, 2006, 09:00:55 PM »

Isn't Jack Van Impe one of those televangelists?  The name is familiar, if not the accordion.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #245 on: January 12, 2006, 09:03:19 PM »

I said move away from the box... Step away..

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #246 on: January 12, 2006, 09:08:59 PM »

As for commentators for this year's skating, ESPN (and I'm sure ABC later) went overboard with skating names:

In addition to Terry Gannon and Dick Button who anchor every year and Peggy Fleming who does the women's side, they had Kurt Browning giving play by play on the men's side and Katarina Witt offering not much of anything but her broken English. Paul Wylie was on hand to point out the new scoring system in use this year at nationals for the first time, and Peter Carruthers interviewed some skaters after they skated. Susie Wynn also had some comments about the ice dancers.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #247 on: January 12, 2006, 09:09:20 PM »

WELCOME,
TO OUR NEWCOMERS!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #248 on: January 12, 2006, 09:10:58 PM »

BK, I hope you will be wearing a tux to the opening.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #249 on: January 12, 2006, 09:12:32 PM »

Yep, according to wikipedia, Jack and Rexella are still going strong.

Matt H.

« Reply #250 on: January 12, 2006, 09:15:08 PM »

An observation or two:

We have no men who can consistently do quads any more. I'm not sure their point value is worth the risk in attempting them (you get mandatory point deductions each time you fall), but they don't seem to be worried about not being able to pull them off. Better to skate cleanly with lots of footwork and changes of edges to rack up points in the new system. Jumping is a bit less important than it used to be.

As some may know, reigning national champion Michelle Kwan is not competing this year at Nationals, out with an injury. But she has petitioned the USFA to place her on the team based on past performance. As this is likely to happen, more than likely the girl who finishes third in the championships will not get an autonmatic berth on the team. I suspect she'll be named an alternate to skate if Michelle isn't healed by the time of the Olympics, but in all likelihood, the third place finisher won't be going to the Olympics this year.

MBarnum

« Reply #251 on: January 12, 2006, 09:27:53 PM »

Gosh, it seems like no one ever names there kid Rexella anymore.

Matt H.

« Reply #252 on: January 12, 2006, 09:28:39 PM »

I was happy to see on the DVR a recording of Agatha Christie's THIRTEEN AT DINNER. Once I burn a DVD of it, I will have the entire selection of Peter Ustinov Poirots that he did for CBS and the two Helen Hayes Miss Marples for CBS.

I've been waiting to get these in high quality copies for a long time. All I had were some crappy taped-off-TV copies in EP speed that were unwatchable.

Matt H.

« Reply #253 on: January 12, 2006, 09:29:11 PM »

Now, it's late and I must head for bed.

Good night, all!

MBarnum

« Reply #254 on: January 12, 2006, 09:29:45 PM »

Rodzinski, are you taking requests? I want to see that scary religious puppet girl album one of these evenings!

MBarnum

« Reply #255 on: January 12, 2006, 09:38:47 PM »

The portable heater  that I borrowed seems to be doing the job. According to the thermostat it is 58 degrees in my living room...a bit chilly, but better then a kick in the pants.

So I am warming up with a Bollywood movie to get my 4 day weekend kick-started.

Jeetendra, Asha Parekh, Helen, Aruna Irani, and Jr. Mehmood in CARAVAN!

I have the soundtrack which I have been playing a lot the last few weeks, so thougth it would be fun to finally see the movie.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #256 on: January 12, 2006, 09:40:12 PM »

Good evening... Home from work and I thought I would wander over and drop a line or two....

I see another friend of mine, Stephanie, wandered over....

I wish them all good luck tomorrow night....

First off....

FARGO: My freind and I and only she can be seen. It is in the scene where Marge and the chinese guy are talking.... You can see the back of my freinds head.....

The person from Iowa... YOu are one of few people I have met that likes Lutefisk

Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #257 on: January 12, 2006, 09:43:41 PM »

I spent the evening watching the National Figure Skating Championships. Tonight were the short programs for the men and women.

So, all of the NBC comedies plus CRUMBS were caught by the DVR to be watched tomorrow.

I did flip to WILL & GRACE a couple of times during commercials (which happened after almost each skater), and the audience seemed to be dead. However, I haven't seen the entire show, so it's perhaps not fair to judge.

Matt, would you be interested in swapping coastal episodes of "W&G?"
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #258 on: January 12, 2006, 09:44:14 PM »

Photographs of opening night MUST be taken.

ITA!!!

I hope they have a grand night, all things go well and many legs are broken!!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #259 on: January 12, 2006, 09:47:53 PM »

Thanks for all the warm welcome everyone!   :)Stephanie, the way Matt looks in the suit is very important feedback.   ;)  They need to know the actors look good in what they are wearing, unlike  Tammy's wardrobe malfunction.  ;D

Michelle

That is a very good point Michelle.... They need to now how the actors looked aesthetically... Matt in a suit.... sigh....

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #260 on: January 12, 2006, 09:50:16 PM »

I had a customer in my line today, who was wearing a Minnesota sweatshirt.

And, I kid you not, he said "Okey-dokey" at one point in our conversation.

I would not be surprised.... I also hear Ya betcha....

Where I work I come across international students daily. Try explaining Ya' betcha, Okey dokey and Uff-da to them...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #261 on: January 12, 2006, 09:54:29 PM »

RE: Fargo, ND - When I was on tour, we stopped in Fargo, ND.  I believe we ate at the Perkins there.  And I also remember dropping off some postcards and mail there just so that I could get the postmark.  -Oh, and the mall wasn't bad either.

And down the road a bit, isn't there that place with the large concrete and metal animals?  I seem to remember a moose.

There are a lot of giant animals around in ND and MN
Along I-94 we have a number of animals.... Giant Cows and Giant buffalos..... FArgo has two large oxen pulling a plow. There is also marge and Rollo the viking...

Still trying to place the moose

In Minnesota they giant prairie chickens, Jolly Green Giant and Otters

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #262 on: January 12, 2006, 09:59:27 PM »

According to the back cover, "Jack Van Impe began studying the accordion at the age of five under the tutelage of his father. He worked dilligently for fifteen years on his instrument and rose to radio and television fame."

I know some of his hardcore evangelical albums are sought after.

"Joining her husband in this hi-fidelity album is Jack's devoted wife Rexella."

Rodzinski, you have truly and utterly blown my mind, no mean feat.  I had no idea Jack was a "recording artist".  On accordion yet.  I knew Rexella sang.  I am a closet Jack Van Impe freak (I guess not any longer, eh?).  It is a parlor game of mine to watch him and count how many scriptures he can quote in a single show.  Sometimes I break it down into how many he can quote in a minute or 30 seconds, just for variety's sake.  I am beyond stunned.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #263 on: January 12, 2006, 10:01:49 PM »

Plus I love, love, love (that is 3 loves) his hair.

And it also hugely entertaining to watch Rexella attempt to read newspapers, which she does every show.

Everyone at HHW must start tuning in.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #264 on: January 12, 2006, 10:05:34 PM »

Have never seen it.... Unless it is on a channel I do not get

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #265 on: January 12, 2006, 10:12:57 PM »

Well... Time for me to head to bed...

I'm thinking I may attempt another run tomorrow since I misunderstood the forecast for the next couple of days.  I thought it was still supposed to be nice on Saturday, but it's not.  So...  However, tomorrow may be a bit rainy, so we'll see...

In any case...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #266 on: January 12, 2006, 10:16:48 PM »

G'nite, Hozay.

Rexella?
PennyO

François de Paris

« Reply #267 on: January 12, 2006, 10:20:46 PM »

François de Paris

« Reply #268 on: January 12, 2006, 10:22:37 PM »

Hope the show's splendidly splendid tonight, BK!

JMK

« Reply #269 on: January 12, 2006, 10:25:48 PM »

I haven't gone over to Wikipedia to check, but I am fairly certain Rexella was some kind of beauty queen, maybe even a contestant in Miss America.   You have not lived until you've heard attempt to pronounce words like Azerbaijan.  :)

Another great segment of the show is when the stentorian announcer comes on to announce that week's "love offering," which is yours simply for writing, but why don't you send some money, too, OK?  

Now you've just listened to Jack sprout off maybe 200 Bible verses in a minute and a half (I'm not kidding, folks) and wax rhapsodic (or is that rapture-sodic) about how rosy things will be when Jesus gets here.

At which point the commercial for the "love offering" comes on:  "Doomsday", announces the extremely deep, almost G-dlike voice.  "Is it just around the corner?  Jack Van Impe knows the answer."  At which point you get wonderful clips of atom bombs, starving children and lots of rain.

I'm telling you people, it is entertainment of the grandest order, and you really should search it out on your airwaves.  It usually airs on the UHF Christian channels, like TBN.

Which of course brings us to Paul and Jan ("Pink Hair") Crouch, two more of my absolute all time faves in that genre.

Now you know what I do late evenings when I don't have a gig.   ;D

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up