Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THUS BEGINS A VERY BUSY WEEK  (Read 7582 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THUS BEGINS A VERY BUSY WEEK
« on: January 27, 2014, 12:09:20 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes began a very busy week, and now it is time for you to post until the very busy cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THUS BEGINS A VERY BUSY WEEK
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 12:10:00 AM »

And the word of the day is: CONFLATE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 12:11:00 AM »

Here's the new release information:

Kritzerland is proud to present a new limited edition release

DEMETRIUS AND THE GLADIATORS

Composed and Conducted by Franz Waxman

Demetrius and the Gladiators was a shrewd attempt to capitalize on the historic success of the first CinemaScope picture, The Robe.  Even before The Robe opened, the canny Twentieth Century Fox production chief, Darryl F. Zanuck, had Demetrius and the Gladiators under way.  Robe veterans, writer Philip Dunne, producer Frank Ross, art directors George W. Davis and Lyle Wheeler, and actors Victor Mature, Michael Rennie, and Jay Robinson were now freshly energized by newcomers; director Delmer Daves, cinematographer Milton Krasner, and composer Waxman replaced their counterparts still occupied on The Robe:  Henry Koster, Leon Shamroy, and Newman.

The surprise is that, while The Robe eclipsed its successor in its day, decades later, it looks like Demetrius is, in fact, what screenwriter Philip Dunne called it:  “a far better pure movie.”  And one of the true pleasures of the film is Franz Waxman’s tantalizing score, which, while incorporating several of Alfred Newman’s incomparably majestic themes from The Robe, nevertheless manages to display a modernist élan and power all its own.  Demetrius and the Gladiators was this fabulously versatile composer’s first Biblical epic; as usual, he adapted his talents to a new genre with superbly dramatic dexterity.  Beginning with a pulse-pounding “Prelude” which twines Newman’s themes with his own, Waxman moves on to one stunning cue after another.

Demetrius and the Gladiators has undergone a long overdue full digital restoration using the best that state-of-the-art audio technology can offer.  Restoration and remixing was undertaken at 96k 24bit resolution.  Sadly, three cues from the score had completely deteriorated by the time the original reels were transferred in 1997: “Kneel to Your God” (6m3/7m1), “Temptation” (7m2), and “The Kiss” (8m1). Using the original 4-track stereo audio for the film itself, we have rescued brief segments of these, which were unmarred by dialogue and sound effects and included them in the program in order to present as much of the score as possible. An additional excerpt of “Temptation,” with sound effects but no dialogue, is included as a bonus track. Also in the bonus section is the deteriorated stereo version of the cue “Claudius and Caligula,” while the main program features a more sonically palatable monaural mix.  Every effort has been made to bring out its original brilliance so that, as a listening experience, Demetrius may take its rightful place beside recent musical restorations of other Fox Biblical epics of the period.

Demetrius and the Gladiators is limited to 1000 copies only and is priced at $19.98, plus shipping.

CDs will ship by the first week of March, but we’ve been averaging three to five weeks early in terms of shipping ahead of the official ship date.  To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 01:07:59 AM »

TOD:

I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 01:10:36 AM »

Topic of the Day:  I don't know if I would call this a "favorite," but my sister and I had this exact book and record of "Little Brave Sambo."  Watching the YouTube video just now (click on the link), I found that I remembered the melodies to a couple of the songs.

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 01:25:03 AM »

Yesterday, I ushered for a tour of "The Official Blues Brothers Revue."  It's a tribute show that was co-produced by Dan Aykroyd, and the music director (but not touring with the show) was Paul Shaffer.  It was actually very good.  The guys playing the two main characters of Jake and Elwood Blues were very good.  They not only sang and acted like Dan and John Belushi as the Blues Brothers, but their blues singing was very good, too.   
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 01:25:42 AM »

The audience of just under 500 loved the show.  The only problem that I had with the show is that it was so damned loud!  I even got a pair of ear plugs because it was uncomfortable. :P Otherwise, I really enjoyed it.  I ran into a couple of friends that I hadn't seen in quite a while, so that was fun, too.

George

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 01:31:54 AM »

Afterward, Margo and I went to McMenamins Spar Café.  I had their Red Rooster Sirloin Burger ("ground sirloin mixed with Sriracha, hoisin sauce, scallions & ginger with chili-roasted garlic mayo & your side of choice"...I had their Cajun Tots with peppercorn ranch).  It was delish!

George

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 01:32:35 AM »

And now, I'm off to bed.  In the morning (or early afternoon), I'll purchase Kritzerland's latest CD!

Ben

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 02:37:28 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Kerry

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 04:20:30 AM »

It is certainly Monday.  Certainly.
I like boat races.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 04:24:28 AM »

Good morning to all
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 04:24:49 AM »

Today is my early day at work
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 04:26:05 AM »

Today is also the first of my cabaret series. Brian D'arcy James i first up
Never stop dreaming.

Laura

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 04:35:29 AM »

Good morning.

TOD: Probably a Mitch Miller record. Not because it was my favorite -- but because I think it is the only children's record we had.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 05:10:41 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept well, I think.  At least nothing unseemly happened last night. Again, thank you, all, for the kind words about my late friend Dale's gift. I'm happy to be ahead of things, however briefly, but i do hope that some work starts coming in soon; I cannot count on other bequests. Luckily, the ROBERTA sessions will be the income to cover my accountant's bill and - hopefully - any outstanding 2013 tax obligations.

DR Matthew and DR singdaw, if either of you were still on the east coast, I would be begging you to take on this bass part.  We're seeing someone tomorrow and I'm waiting to hear from an actor who was in BIG FISH.

DR cillaliz, your brother has "cases"; is he also an attorney?  You've probably told us and i've forgotten. I can remember details about trips to Appalachia in 1954, but I have no memory of what I did yesterday.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 05:18:30 AM »

TOD:
Between 1946 and 1949, while my parents and I lived with my maternal grandmother, I was coddled by my mother's brothers who were in high school, my unmarried Aunt Dorothy, and my grandmother.  I have vague memories f being rocked, sung to, read to, and being passed around the high school football team like a football. When I was three or four, around 1950, we moved to the house my dad built at 3003 Goldman Avenue. By then, I was reading very well, thanks to all the readings I got from my family and thanks to 12 inch 78rpm shellac recordings. the family parlor game was to tell me a song title and watch me find in among the huge number of recordings owned by my mother's family.  My favorite was Khatchaturan's "Sabre Dance," recorded by Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops.  I remember very few recordings of my childhood except for these two; I received my first portable record player with 3 speeds for Christmas, 1956, when I was ten. Before then, I had a ton of Little Golden Records, and I remember a few titles: "Suzy Snowflake," "Egbert the Easter Egg," The Little Swans from Swan Lake, and a few pop tunes. After 1956, my mother started bringing me LPs and 45's from supermarket bins. I also remember the original Broadway cast of South Pacific on several 45's, and these two LPs:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 05:22:10 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 05:19:50 AM »

And this. I saw Whittemore and Lowe in concert around 1959, so I must have had this recording for a couple of years. It took me years to realize they were the first gay couple I ever met.

ChasSmith

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 05:32:09 AM »

Good morning, all.

I think this cup of coffee came out a little weak.

More coffee!

ChasSmith

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 05:33:02 AM »

It is certainly Monday.  Certainly.

I'm not even going to ask DR Kerry to provide proof, for I feel it is all around us.

ChasSmith

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2014, 05:48:05 AM »

TOD:

Wish I could recall the childhood records.  I know we had a bunch, and I remember having my own child's record player.  My sister (two years younger) and I (and, later, neighbor kids) played a lot of records.  Probably some Little Golden Records and later, certainly, some Disney.  Though I don't remember the early records themselves, one song immediately pops into my head:  Oats Peas Beans and Barley Grow -- which sounds like something that should explain my later fondness for THE WICKER MAN.  Oy!

ChasSmith

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2014, 06:00:08 AM »

I must have hit the large cup size button on the Keurig before, because I paid attention this time, hit the Medium one, and the coffee is as it should be.

Now we'll get this morning off to a start.

ChasSmith

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 06:02:52 AM »

Demetrius and the Gladiators ordered!

ChasSmith

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2014, 06:06:08 AM »

Thanks to BK for the help re those studio rooftops.  Santa Monica at Las Palmas.  Huge block of them.  I had completely blanked on those.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2014, 06:19:14 AM »

We watched BLUE JASMINE last night.

No doubt it's an updating of A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE...but very well done.

If Cate Blanchett does not win the Oscar, there is no justice.
You can dream…or you can do.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2014, 06:21:19 AM »

I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2014, 06:24:28 AM »

TOD:

During the early 1940s, I recall having a 78 rpm album of THE JUNGLE BOOK from the movie with Sabu.

The final line (or a paraphrase of it) was "But, that is another story" has always stuck with me.

There was also an album, LET'S PRETEND, but I don't remember much about that one.
You can dream…or you can do.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2014, 06:24:34 AM »

Good morning, all.

Happy Monday vibes.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2014, 06:24:35 AM »

I surely wish I could help you out, DR elmore3003!

I would think if you can get anyone who's ever sung that opening bass solo in On the Town, you'd be all set.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2014, 06:26:56 AM »

This was one of the first albums I remember having. Nice and scary for a kid, especially the theme song:

With a clip, clip and a clippity clop
He's out look for a head to chop.
Don't stop to figure out a plan.
You can't reason with a headless man.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up