Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FINISHING THE BOOK 14  (Read 11055 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: FINISHING THE BOOK 14
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2014, 06:15:01 AM »

It is a mess in Manhattan. Larry, if I were you I would cancel PT. There are slush piles and puddles all over, especially at the curbs. It's raining/sleeting right now and it's supposed to keep up all day!

DR Ben, thanks! I'll seriously consider that. I have to walk to the postbox and the corner bodega in a moment and that should make up my mind.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2014, 06:15:27 AM »

I would rather watch or record events when they are on then see a pre-packaged taped piece.

I agree with you, DR Jennifer!      :)
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2014, 06:16:00 AM »

PAGE 2, by the way.          ;D
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2014, 06:20:01 AM »

In 1928, the American artist Grant Wood ("American Gothic") received a commission to create a giant stained-glass window for the American Legion in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. In preparation, he traveled to Munich to study ancient stained-glass techniques under Germany’s famed master craftsmen. The window he created was a masterpiece of technique, form and color, but it drew fire from misguided "patriots" who criticized Wood for studying with the Germans — the enemy! — so soon after the first World War. One of the most vocal groups was the local chapter of Daughters of the American Revolution.

Wood’s elegant response: Daughters of Revolution, a satirical painting showing three dour spinstresses standing self-righteously — one, pinky extended in haughty indignation, holding a teacup — in front of Emmanuel Leutz’s famous "Washington Crossing the Delaware."

Wood’s point, lost completely on the knee-jerk reactionaries the painting so elegantly mocked, lies in the fact that "Washington Crossing the Delaware" — that beloved icon of American patriotism — was painted by a German.

Dear Sister Wendy, please release DR slingshot from your prison and restore him to us!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 06:25:55 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2014, 07:30:41 AM »

Wednesday morning greetings!  We are snowed/iced in today, as expected.  The storm has moved out of our area, but we're dealing with the aftermath.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2014, 07:33:34 AM »

And I have canceled my therapy for today.  Iwalked out of he building and thought, hmmmm, not so bad if I move cautiously. Then I got to the corner of Amsterdam and had to walk a bit out of my war through slush to avoid stepping into a puddle that would cover my ankles.

I got to he post box, which was a bit treacherous, cleaned the snow off it, posted my letter, and could not navigate mt cane, the ice, a solid spot to stand, and turning around.  A very kind snow shoveler came to my rescue and got me back to the street. After all of that, the market was easy, and as son as I got home, I called and canceled the physical therapy.

I wanted t get my hair cut tomorrow but i'm not so sure at the moment. I have to be at Toyland on Friday for the piano tuner, so I may not see my barber before next Tuesday.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2014, 07:36:14 AM »

And I caught another mouse. I guess the cold is bringing them in since I've caught more in the past two weeks than in the past two months.  These sonic repellers are doing nothing but wasting my electricity, so I'm pitching them.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2014, 07:40:10 AM »

Congrats on finishing the book, BK.

I know the feeling.
You can dream…or you can do.

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2014, 08:16:09 AM »

Speaking of finishing books, this Bell's whisky ad had me grabbing for a hanky (although the Scrabble-playing part of my psyche wants to nit-pick the "KAT" sequence)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2014, 08:17:29 AM »

Good morning, all.

Snow-free vibes for all in need.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2014, 08:18:37 AM »

Sobsister, there is a great collection of Wood paintings at the Cincinnati Conservatory of Art (if I recall the name of the museum correctly). Loved going through there years ago when I lived in that city.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2014, 08:22:57 AM »

Congratulations to author MR BK on finishing his book!  I look forward to reviewing it on AMAZON so that you-know-who can "Not Like" my review and write her own misguided missive.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2014, 08:23:32 AM »

DR ELMORE I am so sorry that the Rid-Ex repellers did not work for you.  :(

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2014, 08:24:08 AM »

I enjoyed all of the FB Movies that were posted yesterday.

I have not yet received a response from NDSU about my email.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2014, 08:25:12 AM »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2014, 08:25:31 AM »

My question for ASK BK DAY:

I see Music Editor as a credit on films.....is this a technical position that involves editing the music tracks or does this person edit the score before it is recorded?

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2014, 08:25:42 AM »

Thanks, DR John G. - the next time I am in Ohio, I would like to check that out.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2014, 08:25:53 AM »

Very nice WOOD story and photos from DR SINGDAW!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2014, 08:35:32 AM »

DR ELMORE I am so sorry that the Rid-Ex repellers did not work for you.  :(

I was told that mice dislike peppermint, so I got some peppermint oil.  That was a dud, too!

There must be a sign written in Mouse inside the walls saying "Apartment 3C: Good for food, warmth, and hospitality."

FJL

« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2014, 09:00:45 AM »

It's official, American Idol's and Broadway's Clay Aiken is running for Congress.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/06/us/politics/clay-aiken-running-for-congress.html?hpw&rref=politics

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2014, 09:09:26 AM »

That sounds like a line from a Neil Simon play DR ELMORE.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2014, 09:09:59 AM »

DR DakotaCelt wrote:
9 to 10 hour time difference. . When the Olympics were in Seoul and Sydney, the times were really wacky also and a lot of stuff was tape delay.

Well NBC does everything on tape delay. We are lucky, in Canada everything is shown live even if it is at 6am. They do have prime time shows at night as well. I would rather watch or record events when they are on then see a pre-packaged taped piece.

One reason I have always liked the CBC coverage.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2014, 09:11:02 AM »

Happy birthday, Darren Criss!  (He's 27 today)

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2014, 09:12:02 AM »

~ ~ ~ EMPLOYMENT VIBES ~ ~ ~ for DR DakotaCelt!

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2014, 09:15:34 AM »

Behind the scenes on Renee Fleming's performance of the National Anthem at the Superbowl:
http://www.artsjournal.com/slippeddisc/2014/02/how-the-nfl-blocked-out-the-music-at-super-bowl.html

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2014, 09:40:49 AM »

I will be waiting for the sunday letters to the editor on this little gem

Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2014, 09:43:17 AM »

Behind the scenes on Renee Fleming's performance of the National Anthem at the Superbowl:
http://www.artsjournal.com/slippeddisc/2014/02/how-the-nfl-blocked-out-the-music-at-super-bowl.html

Curious behavior from the NFL about no credits.  What do you expect from a lot of former dumb jocks?

FJL

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2014, 09:44:41 AM »

That sounds like a line from a Neil Simon play DR ELMORE.

"3C" is also the name of the THREE'S COMPANY spoof that is the subject of a lawsuit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/18/theater/threes-company-lawyers-object-to-the-play-3c.html

Jennifer

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2014, 09:50:29 AM »

DR DakotaCelt wrote:
9 to 10 hour time difference. . When the Olympics were in Seoul and Sydney, the times were really wacky also and a lot of stuff was tape delay.

Well NBC does everything on tape delay. We are lucky, in Canada everything is shown live even if it is at 6am. They do have prime time shows at night as well. I would rather watch or record events when they are on then see a pre-packaged taped piece.

One reason I have always liked the CBC coverage.

Are you able to watch the CBC where you live?  Besides CBC, we are also having live coverage on TSN (the sports network), TSN2 and Sportsnet. So that is up to 4 channels at once that will be showing different sports.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2014, 10:02:21 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up