Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BOOK FAIR  (Read 6644 times)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
Re: THE BOOK FAIR
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2014, 12:56:57 PM »

I see BK has been looking up old Bluthers and has given me a memory test of sorts. The first person who came to mind--I don't have the old programs here--was Ellen (Ellen Banks?), a quiet girl with short, curly, dark hair. But I think BK's lunch companion was more likely Diane Noble, who danced in quite a few of the shows. I didn't really know Diane, but I think BK told me they knew one another.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2014, 01:00:15 PM »

Good to see DR Dakota Celt here! I'm glad the Manager From Hell is getting her comeuppance. It sounds like her managers were asleep at the wheel.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2014, 01:01:14 PM »

I love skating but I don't watch it anymore.  I used to record it and watch while Keith was travelling for work or while I was on the treadmill.  Keith doesn't travel without me anymore and we no longer have a treadmill.

You should watch it. It's really great!

Btw are you guys annoyed with NBC yet? I noticed they were not showing any events today live. And the figure skating that was on this morning is only on late tonight? How do they get away with showing things this way?

I forgot my Nook today and had nothing to read at the gym.  I used a treadmill with a tv and was surprised I couldn't find any news of the Olympics.  Fortunately I found the documentary on the shunned Amish that is interesting.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2014, 01:02:28 PM »

Vixmom, ugh! So sorry you had to go through these dental woes. I'm glad you were able to get it taken care of quickly and it didn't happen while you were on vacation. Vibes for continued improvement.

Jane

« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2014, 01:05:15 PM »

While apropos to the TOD, I got off of the stairmaster early as I did not want to watch the various ways to cook, serve, and eat dead cow.  The travel channel was highlight a rather large steakhouse, or surf & Turf place, where it was I haven't a clue.

Jane

« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2014, 01:06:01 PM »

Hello, everyone.

I'm concluding week 3 of the shingles. My doctor is very pleased with my improvement, but I can't say I feel any better yet. It's still uncomfortable to move around, so it's couch potato time for me.

I'm pleased your doctor is pleased.  It, very unfortunately, tends to last a long time :(

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2014, 01:08:49 PM »

Hello, everyone.

I'm concluding week 3 of the shingles. My doctor is very pleased with my improvement, but I can't say I feel any better yet. It's still uncomfortable to move around, so it's couch potato time for me.

Feel better vibes, Jeanne.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2014, 01:11:56 PM »

Cilla, I share your disgust at how medicine is often practiced. I hope you find a doctor you really like.

I've been using Life Extension (lef.org) for my blood tests for many years now. They have hundreds of tests and their prices are MUCH cheaper than what the doctors have quoted me. I prefer not having to go through a doctor to order the tests. I can call or order online. They send me a requisition, which I then take to any Lab Corps (lots of them nearby) to do the blood draw. As long as I can pay for it I have have any test I want, so I'm in charge. I have found most doctors to be poorly informed as to the great array of tests available. I always review the results with my doctor, but I have the option of reviewing them with one of Life Extension's advisors at no charge. I'm very happy with this arrangement.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2014, 01:13:01 PM »

While apropos to the TOD, I got off of the stairmaster early as I did not want to watch the various ways to cook, serve, and eat dead cow.  The travel channel was highlight a rather large steakhouse, or surf & Turf place, where it was I haven't a clue.

Perhaps in response to today's TOD?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2014, 01:13:34 PM »

Hello, everyone.

I'm pleased your doctor is pleased.  It, very unfortunately, tends to last a long time :(

Thanks, Jane.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2014, 01:13:57 PM »

Hello, everyone.

Feel better vibes, Jeanne.

Thanks, John G.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2014, 01:16:29 PM »

TOD:

I never really liked steak, even when I ate meat. Sometimes steak houses do a nice job with fish, which I like to eat on occasion.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2014, 01:17:07 PM »

Vibes for the LITTLE ME/HHW reunion tomorrow.

Jane

« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2014, 01:29:24 PM »

TOD:

I never really liked steak, even when I ate meat. Sometimes steak houses do a nice job with fish, which I like to eat on occasion.

Keith liked it so we went more often to steak houses than I would have gone.  I did like the baked potatoes with sour cream and chives that often accompanied the steaks.  I didn't dislike steak, I just didn't love it.  It was one of the easiest meats for me to give up.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2014, 01:29:50 PM »

I had to get out of bed, where I've mostly been nodding as music plays on the stereo, to answer the door and get my  packages from the postman.  Now my left ear is playing a blocked-open-blocked-again game that is neither encouraging nor much fun.

I've been listening to Arthur Sullivan's 1898 comic (???) opera THE BEAUTY STONE, set in medieval Flanders involving the devil, some peasants, and a prince, which was a huge flop.  I blame it on the dreadful book and lyrics, since the music is lovely but at times a bit turgid. Garbage inspires no one.

It's the first professional recording of the score and there's a lot of restored music not in the vocal score. There's some good singing and one over the hill baritone who's no longer singing so well.  I'll listen to it again when I feel better and don't keep falling asleep. I might  like it more then.

DR Jeanne, I hope the shingles are gone very soon.  I'm going back to bed.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2014, 01:35:12 PM »

Thank you, Larry. I hope you feel much better tomorrow!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2014, 01:38:45 PM »

Has anyone else noticed that many publishers are now putting out only hardback books and Kindle/ereader editions? Apparently, mass market paperbacks have gone the way of the dodo bird. I think a Kindle may be in my future--not really out of choice.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2014, 01:42:27 PM »

Hoping that DR Ginny and DH Richard now have hot water in abundance.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2014, 01:44:30 PM »

TTFN.

Cillaliz

« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2014, 02:13:05 PM »

Saturday afternoon greetings!  We have not had water since sometime between 6 and 8 this morning.  Fortunately, we always have gallon jugs of drinking water.  This is what we can see from our living room:

I just found out there is a broken water main 2 blocks from my house.  I must be on a different line because I still have water.   Glad yours is back on, Ginny

KevinH

« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2014, 02:23:05 PM »

Vibes of all kinds for all!

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2014, 02:32:28 PM »

Hi, DR Jeanne - so sorry to hear that you are still suffering. I pray that you will be comfortable again very soon!
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2014, 02:33:06 PM »

The new gig is only about 4 hours per week - it will hardly keep me off HHW (or off the streets)!
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2014, 02:34:05 PM »

Going to a concert tonight by classical violinist Gidon Kremer, if I think I can stop coughing enough that they won't throw me out.

Jane

« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2014, 03:03:37 PM »

Has anyone else noticed that many publishers are now putting out only hardback books and Kindle/ereader editions? Apparently, mass market paperbacks have gone the way of the dodo bird. I think a Kindle may be in my future--not really out of choice.

I had no idea.

Jane

« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2014, 03:04:42 PM »

This Bernese Mountain Dog is behaving exactly as Sherlock would have.  Keith and I laughed through this video.
http://www.tastefullyoffensive.com/2014/02/pet-squirrel-tries-to-bury-his-nut-in.html

Ginny

« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2014, 03:39:08 PM »

Our water was restored about 3pm.  Richard and I both had showers and we've had dinner.   We're settled in for tonight's Olympic coverage.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: February 08, 2014, 03:39:14 PM »

I see BK has been looking up old Bluthers and has given me a memory test of sorts. The first person who came to mind--I don't have the old programs here--was Ellen (Ellen Banks?), a quiet girl with short, curly, dark hair. But I think BK's lunch companion was more likely Diane Noble, who danced in quite a few of the shows. I didn't really know Diane, but I think BK told me they knew one another.

Ellen Bank never did a Bluth Brothers show - she went to Hamilton - and she came to see Pure Imagination a few weeks ago.  Diane Noble (now Linder) is correct.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: February 08, 2014, 03:40:58 PM »

I had a bagel and cream cheese in the morning, to tide me over till my late dinner.  Then I went to the book fair.  Mostly just hung out and had a closer look at a few booths.  One dealer had a pretty amazing thing - the original manuscript with all the corrections for Night of the Hunter.  A mere $22,000.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: February 08, 2014, 03:41:27 PM »

I've been proofing for the last ninety minutes.  I'm beginning chapter fourteen.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up