Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: A HOUSE IS NOT A HOME  (Read 21003 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
A HOUSE IS NOT A HOME
« on: September 08, 2004, 12:00:10 AM »

Well, you've read the hotes - you've read the HOTES???  What in tarnation are HOTES???  What the slip of a finger can do to cause confusion.  Why is it skirting the issue and a slip of a finger - why all these clothing allusions?  In any case, you've read the HOTES and now it is time to post until the house cows come home.  Or is it the home cows come house?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2004, 11:59:42 PM by bk »

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:A HOUSE IS NOT A HOME
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 12:13:49 AM »

Why is A HOUSE IS NOT A HOME under SMALL CHANGE????
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 12:14:33 AM »

Nice to see you made 200 before the New Hotes went up.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 12:15:33 AM »

It took me a while to find today's discussion area!

I shall sign off with another garden photograph. Yes! Still Colin's garden. the playground of Magnus & Fosca.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 12:16:37 AM »

Wait a darn minute, now it has reversed itself!  I am not well............ I need sleep!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2004, 12:20:00 AM »

Whew!  I'm glad I copied my post in progress before I hit Post... and looked at the clock... :)  So... Without any further a-doo...

Good Evening!

Not much to report today.  I basically rode the Metro and/or the bus and ate.  -Not on the bus or Metro mind you - eating that is.  I would have a little something there, a little something from some other there, and so on and so forth as I walked around the various neighborhoods I found myself in.  Note to self - and DRs - Having foods from four different cuisines/nationalities in a relatively short time span may sound appealing, but...  <burp>

But, all in all, it was a nice day - hot, but nice.  I didn't really get anything accomplished except for sending out some mail, but then again, there was nothing I really needed to accomplish today.

OH!  I did have quite the "human observation" today on the Metro ride into town.  Seems a woman got sort of dumped at the station - she got on with her "man", but just as the doors were closing he got off the train.  She stayed.  In the doorway.  As the doors closed on her arm.  "Ouch!"  She then proceeded to let the doors close on her a few more times as she yelled at the guy who was trying to make his way off the platform.  -Actually, she caused enough of a delay, that the train ended up having to wait at the next intersection since the traffic signals had already timed out and were letting the car traffic go by.

Well, there was a gentleman sitting across from her.  He just kept looking at this woman.  -And I just happened to have a seat with both of them in my direct view.  After a few stops, the man asked her if he she needed some help.  Apparently, she was counting out change from her purse.  Well, after some brief exchanges, the man asked her where she was headed.  She said Santa Monica.  Then he offered to ride with her and pay her fare home since he lived in Santa Monica too.  Eventually, the man asked, "So, what are you looking for in your life?  Are you busy right now?"  He was trying to pick her up!!!!

Then he started going on about the court case he was dealing with currently - something about social security, veterans affairs, and disability benefits - legal blindness I believe.  Then she asked, "Do you know anything about probate?"  She apparently was dealing with a bunch of legal stuff of her own - she lost her house, her truck, and she was on her way to meet her sister who was going to loan her some cash.

Well, the man still offered to help her get to Santa Monica.  "I'm just looking for someone to have in my life right now.  Maybe you could be that someone special to me."  He then continued on with some of his legal troubles.  They she chimed in, "So where in Santa Monica do you live?  Do you live in a nice place?"

Yadda-yadda...  They eventually traded phone numbers... And the train pulled into Union Station... And, consequently, my story ends there.  But I will say I was tempted to follow them for another stop or two once they transferred trains.

Oh, and, yes, they were talking loud enough for most everyone on the train to hear them - I was three row behind and to the right of them.  In fact, some of the riders who were closer to them changed seats during the commute and conversation to move further back in the train.  It was scary, interesting, kind of pitiful and fascinating all at once.  Here was a woman - who was most likely in her mid-40s, and not really aging that gracefully - who had sort of gotten dumped at the train station.  Here was a legally blind man who happened to end up sitting right across from this woman.  Put them on a train, and Voila!!!  I smell a screenplay!!!!!  Panni? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2004, 12:33:36 AM »

Good Morning!

I was going to see the Disney shorts that were being shown at the Arclight earlier tonight - it was the opening of the L.A. Short Film Festival.  However, once I got to the theatre and grabbed a festival program, I noticed that the tickets for the Disney program were priced at $25.00.  Hmmm... And that since it was the opening night of the festival, there was some sort of presentation beforehand, and a Q&A sessions afterhand.  Well...  I decided to pass.  Ah, well...  The Disney shorts they were showing are included in the latest series of Disney DVD "tins", so, I can catch them there.  However, there is one "program" of shorts later in the week that features mini-musicals and music-related short films, and I may the $10.00 to see those.

So, instead of seeing the movies, I decided on the spur of the moment to ride the 180 Bus from Hollywood and Vine all the way to Pasadena.  Don't ask me why, but I just did.  I spent about an hour and twenty minutes on the bus, but the time went fast for me.  It was a sight-seeing excursion for me.  The people-watching on the bus was OK, but nothing compared to my earlier experience on the Metro train.

I didn't end up riding the bus to it's last stop - which I could have.  Instead, I de-bussed in Old Pasadena and walked around the area some more - checking out some of the sights and smells on the side streets.  -Thus my culinary and gustatory adventure... <burp>

Once I finally made it back to the homestead, I ended  up just laying around for a bit - resting up I guess.  And now...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2004, 12:40:49 AM »

I smell a screenplay!!!!!  Panni? ;)

In today's marketplace, only if he winds up kidnapping her or worse.
(Once in my young actress days, I wound up getting into a long conversation with a man who called in the middle of the night and, without waiting for me to say hello, went into a long romantic monologue to (he thought) his girlfriend. Eventually, I got to speak and told him he had the wrong number... But we started to chat about this and that and actually wound up going out for coffee the next day. This was in the good old days in Toronto, when you could do things ilke that without fearing for you life.)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2004, 12:41:44 AM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2004, 12:46:13 AM »

bk - EXCELLENT VIBES THAT ALL GOES WELL IN THE NEXT FEW DAYS!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]GOOD MOVING VIBES![/move]

Panni

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2004, 12:48:34 AM »

Beautiful garden, Tom.

Now that I'm totally awake, I should go to bed. Good-night.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2004, 01:28:04 AM »

Matt H GOOD VIBES FOR A SAFE NIGHT!

Sigerson Holmes a belated Happy Birthday and it is good to have you back.

Colin’s garden is beautiful.

Our strongest and most excellent vibes and xylophones to Grant Geissman!  I enjoy his song every week, except during reruns.

Bruce, the absolute best moving vibes to a happy new home.

Jose, what a story.  In your short time in L.A. I’m sure you have spent more time seeing the sights of Old Pasadena than I did in the year I worked in Pasadena.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2004, 04:23:55 AM »

What beautiful photos, Mr TomovOZ!  Lovely!

And Jane posted some beautiful photos yesterday as well.  I love all the photos here!

I am ALMOST inspired to get a digital camera!  

Oh my....well my question for MR BK ASK BK DAY FOR TODAY is:

Since you are preparing even as I type to MOVE....when was the last time you moved?  Would you say you have acquired a "bit" more stuff since then, a "lot" more stuff since then, OR "too much" stuff since then?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2004, 04:24:14 AM »

Don't forget to take a last walk around the neighborhood.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2004, 04:25:03 AM »

Moving always made me feel kind of funny....like for YEARS or so I could just walk into a house...and now THAT VERY SAME HOUSE....I couldn't enter it without knocking....and maybe not even then.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2004, 04:25:43 AM »

Last rehearsal tonight before opening tomorrow.  *Sigh*

Oh well....we can only do what we can do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2004, 04:26:57 AM »

Here I am in all my glory as Rick Steadman aka THE NERD!  8)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2004, 04:27:41 AM by JRand54 »

Ben

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2004, 04:53:24 AM »

JRand, that is quite a picture. So good of you to share your nerdiness with the whole world (or at least the HHW world)  ;)

Back to the early morning routine. It is raining buckets here this morning. A colleague just came in soaked from the knees down. Umbrellas only protect so much (unless you have Wellies on your feet and shins).

No questions this morning. Anthony is working on the pictures and I shall post a few over the next few days. We have pictures of cows, horses, people eating deep-fried food, some lovely sculptures, and more.

I must get back to work (and I must listen to Donald's new show if there is one) since being gone for a week makes the work pile up on your desk. Funny how that happens.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2004, 04:54:41 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2004, 04:56:22 AM »

Hi, Tom. I just came back from a trip and you're about to go on a trip but you'll be gone longer than I was. Hugs to Francois (and anyone else you deem huggable) on your sojurn!

beckon

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2004, 05:39:17 AM »

Ask BK:

Since you seem to be having so much stress lately with the house and everything, what do you like to do to relax?  Also, do you have any hobbies?

POSITIVE VIBES TO YOU
A bell is no bell til you ring it
A song is no song til you sing it
And love in your heart wasn't put there to stay
Love isn't love til you give it away

Oscar Hammerstein II

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2004, 06:00:06 AM »

BK, I'm actually relieved to hear that the issue you'd been skorting was only about your home/house/abode.  I was beginning to worry that it was health related (knock wood--or formica.)  In any case:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  HAPPY HOUSE VIBES FOR BK ! ! ! ! ![/move]

And remember, any place you hang your bologna is home.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2004, 06:01:37 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

William E. Lurie

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2004, 06:01:02 AM »

Jrand... since your HHW pic looks more like Ms. Farmer (and before that Ms. Funicello) which one are you in the picture of the play you posted?

I'm home at the moment... the subways aren't running because the tracks are flooded.  It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't a Wednesday, but I have 60 people to pay today... if any of them made it in.  I will probably end up taking a car service or taxi (at the company's expense).  I'll report later.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

td

• td
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2004, 06:09:15 AM »

Wait a darn minute, now it has reversed itself!  I am not well............ I need sleep!

Do you need some chicken soup?  Someone to tuck you in?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2004, 06:21:18 AM »

Flooded subways are delaying Joy's going to work.  Me, I'm staying home all day.  Much sogginess, as the surprise rain came rather forcefully through the window.  The subways, you know, are 100 years old this fall.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2004, 06:22:29 AM »

Oh, I empathize over the conundrum of house hunting/moving. During my last long term relationship, my partner decided he really couldn't be comfortable in my house as it was mine and not ours, so we started on the lengthy process of finding a place that could be ours. We settled on a condo fairly close to where I'm now living except the condos weren't built yet. It was going to be at least a year before we could leave, but we put in the down payment, etc. and proceeded getting this house ready to sell. During that year as we waited for the condos to be finished, he and I decided to part ways (his decision really, very complicated), and since I was perfectly happy here with all the space (the condo would have been downsizing by about 1,000 square feet from the space in the house I live in now), I backed out of the deal. This past July, I've been in this house 22 years.

I've often wondered if I would have been happier there: no yard or outside upkeep, everything newer and presumably in better condition. Yet, having a house meant I could be more private, turn up surround sound as loud as I wished without fear of disturbing others.

I guess I'll never know now.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2004, 06:24:20 AM »

I do think the Best Song Emmy race is between "Manly Men" and "It's a Jungle Out There (Theme from MONK). I have to say I prefer Newman's song personally, but I wish Grant the best of luck anyway.

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2004, 06:27:50 AM »

Well, we got through the midnight storm OK with just a few downed limbs in the yard, but another torrential rain is forecast here for today, so once again the day should be very interesting.

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2004, 06:30:36 AM »

And thanks to DRs Panni and Jane for their good wishes. There were tornados all in the area yesterday (about 20 at last count though they were category 0 and category 1 tornados - dangerous enough to upend weak trees and cars but nothing like those monsters famous in the midwest). Several school systems in the area have canceled classes or are going in two hours late due to this violent weather.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2004, 06:39:45 AM »

I do think the Best Song Emmy race is between "Manly Men" and "It's a Jungle Out There (Theme from MONK). I have to say I prefer Newman's song personally, but I wish Grant the best of luck anyway.

Just a regular question, not necessarily an "Ask BK" question, but how is a song from a series in its first year of eligibility up against a song from a series in its second (or third?) year of eligibility?  I know the Emmy's have some odd nominating processes, but is this really valid?

And good homestead vibes to you BK.

And I, too, am impressed with the level of photography on this here site.  The Tomovoz garden pics and the Jane hike pics from yesterday were all splendid.

Ben

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2004, 07:13:50 AM »

Since we're almost there (almost 40 minutes between posts - to quote DR Panni, skammen), here's another push

Ben

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2004, 07:15:41 AM »

What does skammen mean? It sounds Scandanavian to me but I doubt that it is? I just found out. It means shame though I'm still looking for the language of origin.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up