Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HOLLYWOOD COLLECTOR'S SHOW  (Read 19955 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:THE HOLLYWOOD COLLECTOR'S SHOW
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2004, 05:52:08 PM »

BK, where the Hell was Elivra?  Did she come late?  I must have been really zoned out today...or just too jaded it with it all.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2004, 05:52:41 PM »

My problem is that I am not a Republican and I am not a Demorcrat.  I'm just a middle-aged Jew who is shrinking and will soon be five-foot-four.  I think all politicians are suspect, no matter what party.  I think they're all publicity-mongering, double-dealing people who wouldn't know the truth if it hit them in the face.  They do nothing to make this country a better place, otherwise they'd start by abolishing the IRS and any organization that thinks they have the right to ruin people's lives and who function with complete protection from legal action.  Shameful.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2004, 05:53:51 PM »

OK, everyone can relax. Everything is fine. We went to the grocery store and got a twelve-pack of Cherry Coke. Whew!
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2004, 05:54:03 PM »

and wait

and feast some more

and the youngsters venture forth

der Brucer (who needs a better telephoto digital camera or tamer birds)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2004, 05:54:23 PM »

Elvira was at the back end corner of the room, near Angela Cartwright and Elke Sommer.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2004, 05:55:49 PM »

I kept telling everyone that I was the mistress of the dark, but no one would listen.  I even tried performing my new gay version of Oklahoma, which I call Oklahomo, but nobody was having any of it.  I sang my favorite song from the new version - I'm Just a Gay Who Cain't Say No.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2004, 06:00:53 PM »

Heading out for some dinner, but I shall return soon and let's get some postin' goin' on, shall we?

DERBRUCER

« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2004, 06:02:20 PM »

I think all politicians are suspect, no matter what party.  I think they're all publicity-mongering, double-dealing people who wouldn't know the truth if it hit them in the face.  They do nothing to make this country a better place, otherwise they'd start by abolishing the IRS...

I'll accept "most all politicians" are suspect...

and..."most all are publicity-monggering, double-dealing

and who wouln't know the truth, or could care less

and instead of abolishing the IRS just refrom the hell out of it (unless you want to drop the Income Tax for a Value Added Tax or some such thing).

der Brucer  (who had the pleasure of working with a retired university professor turned Congressman, who would take no PAC dollars, and was true gentlemen).

François de Paris

« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2004, 06:02:35 PM »

That's not the overall impression I got. I think a number of the celebrities and lesser celebrities just want that jolt of recognition they get from fans or just the public in general. The first time I attended, I found it a bit embarrassing to walk down the aisle of tables, looking to see who was who. I felt obligated to stop at each table if I happened to make eye contact with the person sitting behind it. But once I got over that feeling, I realized that it was fun just to stop and chat. That it didn't even matter if I knew who the person was (as long as I didn't make that obvious!). And yes - some are there for the buck. Hey, why not?

Panni,

I think the "sweet you" shows through in those lines! :)

Charles Pogue

« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2004, 06:04:02 PM »

Bk, I've voted both Republican and Democrat and consider myself a moderate, common sense pragmatist.  Republicans lost me totally in Reagan's second term when the party began to co-opted by the far right lunatic elements and the religious fringe, though if someone like McCain became a viable candidate, I might be tempted even though there are still issues I disagree with him on.  But then there are issues I disagree with the Democrats on.  I just find them more common sensicle right now than the Republicans.  I'm fiscally conservative; socially liberal, hate the extremes of both parties, but like Ron Reagan said the other day I would just find it hard to be a member of a party that has bigots and hate-mongers and religious zealots in it to such an extreme.
But I don't feel I have the right to complain unless I vote.

But I must stop all this political talk...and go watch my favourite weekly show.  My only must-see after South Park...The McLaughlin Group.

François de Paris

« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2004, 06:05:03 PM »

I kept telling everyone that I was the mistress of the dark, but no one would listen.  I even tried performing my new gay version of Oklahoma, which I call Oklahomo, but nobody was having any of it.  I sang my favorite song from the new version - I'm Just a Gay Who Cain't Say No.

You should have been here today, BK!

The Gay Pride Parade was in town and you would have had a crowd!

......"there's a parade in town".... oh a.... never mind!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2004, 06:14:29 PM by François de Paris »

François de Paris

« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2004, 06:09:13 PM »

I vote for the Blue Jays!

François de Paris

« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2004, 06:11:15 PM »

But I don't feel I have the right to complain unless I vote.

You mean..... you DON'T?????  (vote, that is!) :o
« Last Edit: June 26, 2004, 06:15:39 PM by François de Paris »

MBarnum

« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2004, 06:21:13 PM »

The couple of times that I went to the Hollywood collectors show it was packed. I went once in October and the second time was...oh, October. Guess both times was in October.

The line-up of guests this time left a bit to be desired, with a few exceptions of course!  :D

Anne Jeffreys was listed. Did she make it? She had a big line when I saw her.

Did you guys see Kim Richards from Nanny and the Professor???  That is one I would like to have gotten an autograph of.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2004, 07:06:32 PM »

Francois, I mean "Yes"! I DO VOTE!  That's why I'm always complaining!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2004, 07:15:25 PM »

Wow, West Coast time is 3:30 and there are only two pages of posts.  Favorite Cy Coleman songs "Nobody Does It Like Me" and almost anything from "The Will Rogers Follies".  My iPod just arrived, a recent eBay purchase so I'm off to the Apple Store to purchase accesories.  Jose, why the Chopin Preludes?  Are you planning a CD perhaps?  Tomorrow is Gay Pride in SF and for the first time, there is actually a BoyFriend in the picture to share it with, should be exciting, I'm sure.  I'm off, the last weekend of a church job I've held for 14 years, exciting, sad, and a big relief.  It's been a hellish "break-up" - perhaps I'll write a story about it some day.

So nice seeing you again, DR Matthew!

-You new iPod - Just make sure to take the "auto-sync" feature "off" - or whatever that feature is really called.  I have one too many friends who have unintentionally erased the contents of their iPod lately.

-The Chopin - I'm just practicing and learning some "rep" for good-ole-times' sake - and because I really do (still) like classical music.  Plus, all my practicing lately has really helped me to feel better about my technical ability - which had admittedly dropped a few notches over the past year or two.  *No matter how "real" the touch of a keyboard may be, it still doesn't come close to a real piano.  My fingers have literally have not had the workout they used to get.  What I find truly amazing is that even thought I've only really been practicing-practicing for about a week now, I can already tell I've made some great progress.  I'm not back up to the level I was when I played my graduation recitals, but I'm getting there.

I even tried reading through some of the rep from my senior recital... WOW!!  Who knew?!?!?  -I'm gonna have to dig up the tapes to make sure I really did play those pieces!  Now, I'm not saying my playing has gone to pot playing shows, but the technical demands of a typical keyboard part are definitely not on the same level as the standard classical rep.  And since my life over the past few years has mainly consisted of playing the same part two to three months at a time... It's time for some new patterns and music.  And as I mentioned last week - just in case you missed the posts - I'm even enjoying playing scales and arpeggios!

I've picked out four of the Chopin preludes.  Four of the shorter ones, although I may end up learning the "key pairs" for each prelude.  Once I get comfortable with them, then I may start looking into a sonata or something longer.  But the miniatures are a nice way to ease back into my classical rep.  And, frankly, I'm amazed that I've memorized two of them already after just a few days of working on them.  -I'm re-learning the concept of learning the "notes" first, and then learning the "music".  Which makes the memorizing much easier - and faster too!

Hmm... Maybe I will finally go back for my Masters... Hmm...

-The BoyFriend - Would this happen to be the same young gentleman you mentioned a couple of months ago?  If so, Congratulations!  If not, Congratulations! ;)  Have a great time at Pride!  -And what a great city to have Pride in too!  -I don't like what the Pride Festival in DC has evolved into over the past few years, and Richmond has their's in September - ???.

-The Church Job - Hmm.. Those types of break-ups seem to be in fashion lately - at least here in Richmond.  I don't know the specifics of your situation, but there have been a bunch of long-term "relationships" that have ended both amicably and spitefully here in Richmond's church community in recent months.  May the closing of that door lead to the opening of another one for you.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #106 on: June 26, 2004, 07:19:48 PM »

Here is a photo of someone we like to call Mr. Butt Man.  This guy was sitting near us, looking at stills, with his big-boy underpants showing along with his big boy butt crack.  Look closely and you might be able to see it.

Well, I'm glad that you didn't have a better telescopic/telephoto lens on your digital camera.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2004, 07:23:30 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2004, 07:21:56 PM »

I"ve always believed it is a responsibility to vote. We have compulsory voting here in OZ. If you don't like the choices (and there a few!) you can always be counted as informal by not voting correctly. If people need to make the effort to get to a polling location, then the chances are they will at least give their vote some thought.
Responsibilities come with rights. The right to freedom is not IMHO diminshed by the responsibilty to vote.
The "green" vote is growing stronger all the time here - independent and "green" politicians have considerable impact here in tempering policies.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2004, 07:29:46 PM »

Love the bird pictures, DerBrucer. I know you have to get really close, and it's very hard!

Today we went to a funeral. And the music was played on an electric keyboard. Ugh.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Michael

« Reply #109 on: June 26, 2004, 07:45:40 PM »

Oklahomo is a start. What other well known musicals can become gay?

110 in the Men's Sauna "Lezzie Is Coming Homo"
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #110 on: June 26, 2004, 07:50:30 PM »

loved seeing the more recent photo of Nick Redman. The only other photo I have seen of him was from the 1992 studio recording of Anastasia. He's taller than I thought he was.

Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #111 on: June 26, 2004, 07:53:31 PM »

Good Evening!

Music Update:  Still not back on the piano.  Even with my note taped prominently to the grand.  On Monday, I shall go into the Music Office and start collecting names and numbers.  At least I've had my Chopin and R&H transcriptions to keep me occupied throughout the past week.  -Oh, and my scales and arpeggios too! ;)

-But, boy, what a long week this past week has seemed!

I practiced for about two hours.  I got some more work done on the R&H, and I did some more memory work on the second Chopin prelude.  I would have pushed through another hour, but I was just getting to a point of diminishing returns, so I called it a day and headed back to the apartment.

Once back at the apartment, I headed back out for my daily walk up and down Carytown.  At the turnaround, I stopped into Starbucks (which I haven't done in a while), and got one of those Java Chip Frappacinos.  Then on the way back to the apartment, I picked up some dinner at The Eatery: fried wontons and fried chicken livers with fried rice.  Yes, I know - quite the interesting combination, but that was what I was in the mood for so I followed my mood.  Hopefully, my "mood" won't upset my stomach throughout the night.  However, so far, so good in the gastro-intestinal department.

*And just in any of you DRs have been wondering about this Carytown I keep talking about, here's the link to the richmond.com page about it:

http://www.richmond.com/localguides/carytown.cfm

All in all, it's been a good day.  I'm also actually feeling better about things in general.  And I'm finally coming up with a game plan for the next few weeks - which includes finding some sort of part-time job to keep me from depending too much on my financial reserves over the next month or so - and draining said financial reserves.  In short, I think I'm "recovered" from Children of Eden and Camelot and Australia and I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change and 1776...  In short, the past two years of work.  Some very wonderful work.  And now I have the time - and the luxury - to do some of my own work until the next gig comes along.  -Now, as for when that next gig comes along... Hmmm...

And I must add that HHW has been a wonderful place to check into for humor, support, banter, stories, information and just "good stuff".  As it always has.  Thank you, again, BK, for providing such a wonderful virtual home for all of us.  It's been nice being "home" again the past few weeks.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #112 on: June 26, 2004, 07:59:50 PM »

You recovered from "Australia"Jose. Was meeting Magnus & Fosca so traumatic?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DERBRUCER

« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2004, 08:00:31 PM »

I know you have to get really close, and it's very hard!

::starts channeling TCB::

At his age, I doubt it!

:: end channeling::

der Brucer (goes to room)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #114 on: June 26, 2004, 08:15:09 PM »

MattH, was  the Jason Isaacs' character in this installment of Harry Potter?

No, Lucius Malfoy isn't in this film, and he was one of the reasons I so adored the second one. Perfect casting and a perfect nasty performance in CHAMBER OF SECRETS.

And I have to say that as powerful an actor as Gary Oldman is, he didn't do much with his role. Not his fault; I suspect the character just isn't very compellingly written, but I found Emma Thompson much more fun.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #115 on: June 26, 2004, 08:16:05 PM »

Oklahomo is a start. What other well known musicals can become gay?

110 in the Men's Sauna "Lezzie Is Coming Homo"

So, would the "110" refer to the temperature in the sauna or the number of men in the sauna?  Or would that refer to inches/centimeters?  ;) :o :P

-Remember, there is no groaning here on HHW.

As for other musicals that can become gay:

70 Girls 70 -> 70, Gurlz, 70 - or 70, Bois, 70 if you prefer

West Side Story -> West Village Story or West Hollywood Story

Mack and Mabel -> Mack and Abel

Baby -> Baby! - Just add the "!".

The Sound of Music -> The Sound of House Music

Once On This Island -> Once On Fire Island

Steel Pier -> Chelsea Pier

Fame -> Flame!

The King & I -> The Queen and I

Oh, and here's the musical that the Children of Eden crew guys came up with.  It's about cannibalism: Children I've Eaten.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #116 on: June 26, 2004, 08:22:14 PM »

Tonight, I plucked off my to-see DVD shelf the terrific William Wyler thriller THE DESPERATE HOURS. I got this for Christmas from my best friend and just tonight got around to it. I had seen it before years ago, but I had forgotten how pwoerful it is.

And that Vistavision print encoded for anamorphic widescreen made the thing look brand spanking new! Glorious evening at the movies in my den. Then, because I hadn't watched it since getting an HDTV a year ago, I put in GONE WITH THE WIND.

OMG! What deep, saturated color! Astonishing! I know Warners is using Ultra-Resolution on it for the fall Special Edition of the film they're going to release, but it sure looks pretty terrific now to my eyes.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #117 on: June 26, 2004, 08:25:27 PM »

You recovered from "Australia"Jose. Was meeting Magnus & Fosca so traumatic?

No, not traumatic at all.  However, I did go through some withdrawal after the last of my Fredo Froggies were gone.  As well as the Crunchy bars, Violet Crumble, Rocklea Road, Flake, etc.

Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #118 on: June 26, 2004, 08:26:39 PM »

DR MBarnum, if you haven't seen them already, I have some screen grabs of Matt Battaglia from last week's QAF episode that I can send you to whet your appetite for the recordings of the actual shows. I've lost your e-mail, however, so send it to me, and I'll whisk those grabs to you to "pour" over.

François de Paris

« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2004, 08:28:53 PM »

How come BK is not on the Anastasia Pic????
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up