Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HYPNOTIC I  (Read 71990 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:THE HYPNOTIC I
« Reply #180 on: March 22, 2007, 07:33:13 AM »

TOD:

How to Make A Monster....second place.

First place:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-dI__vEWUM

It COULD and DID happen!!!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #181 on: March 22, 2007, 07:35:30 AM »

Page Seven Hypnotic Dance:

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

singdaw

« Reply #182 on: March 22, 2007, 07:38:05 AM »

My, my...

Ben

« Reply #183 on: March 22, 2007, 07:40:25 AM »

What's that called, when two people suddenly say the same thing at the same time?  And then there's some ritual you're supposed to perform immediately?  There must be a posting equivalent...

I don't know what it's called (Synchronicity?) but I've seen people who do it grasp each other's pinkies and say something (again, I haven't a clue what they say). We will have to make up a posting equivalent.

singdaw

« Reply #184 on: March 22, 2007, 07:42:13 AM »

Yesterday, DR FJL wrote:
Is the joke "When there's seville, there's se-vay" from this opera?

That reminds me of another joke:

Aw, if you've seen one Christmas opera, you've seen Amahl.

Ben

« Reply #185 on: March 22, 2007, 07:43:58 AM »

There is the apocryphal (who knows, it could be true) story of Miss Bacall in Applause. My voice teacher told me this one and others have told it as well.

She had a clause in her contract that no one, absolutely no one, who was not on an approved list could touch or talk to her without her express permission on pain of dismissal. One night in the Gay Bar scene where she's dancing her little legs off, apparently she took a spill and fell to the floor. No one on stage at that point was on the approved list to speak to or touch Miss Bacall so she stayed on the floor surrounded by scared and suprised cast members until she got up of her own accord.

Ginny

« Reply #186 on: March 22, 2007, 07:50:19 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  My goodness, HHW has been a busy place overnight!

Today is a 12-9 workday for me, because I'm teaching the March edition of Grantseeking Basics tonight.  After waking at 4:30am and dozing until almost 7, I got up and baked a beautiful pecan pie for the American Legion ladies to slice and sell at tomorrow evening's fish fry.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #187 on: March 22, 2007, 07:51:16 AM »

Mmm, pecan pie. I love it!!! I haven't had a good slice for a long time but I'm sure Miss Ginny's pie is at the top of the good list.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #188 on: March 22, 2007, 07:51:47 AM »

There is the apocryphal (who knows, it could be true) story of Miss Bacall in Applause. My voice teacher told me this one and others have told it as well.

She had a clause in her contract that no one, absolutely no one, who was not on an approved list could touch or talk to her without her express permission on pain of dismissal. One night in the Gay Bar scene where she's dancing her little legs off, apparently she took a spill and fell to the floor. No one on stage at that point was on the approved list to speak to or touch Miss Bacall so she stayed on the floor surrounded by scared and suprised cast members until she got up of her own accord.

That doesn't surprise me.  A friend in the cast of DOG OF THE YEAR told me the whole cast and crew hated her.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

« Reply #189 on: March 22, 2007, 07:52:54 AM »

tomorrow evening's fish fry.

Is that anything like a clam bake?

June is bustin' out all over...

Ginny

« Reply #190 on: March 22, 2007, 07:53:25 AM »

DR DakotaCelt - sorry to read of the incident in your library.  I hope the gentleman gets the attention he needs, the perpetrators get what they deserve, and your administration recognizes the trauma that sort of thing causes to staff.

Wonder of wonders, at my library, some actions are being taken based on the recommendations we made to our higher-ups earlier in the week.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #191 on: March 22, 2007, 07:53:41 AM »

Will we never get to page two?

You did!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

singdaw

« Reply #192 on: March 22, 2007, 07:53:42 AM »

There is the apocryphal (who knows, it could be true) story of Miss Bacall in Applause.

Jeepers!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #193 on: March 22, 2007, 07:54:31 AM »

TOD:

Waaaaaay back in high school, during an end-of-the-school-year assembly, they brought in a hypnotist to entertain the students.  He wanted volunteers and performed a test to see how susceptible to hypnotism we were.  All he did was to tell us to close our eyes, listen to his voice and raise our right arms up above our heads.  And then he told us that no matter how hard we tried that we would not be able to put them down.  And I couldn't!  I honest to gawd could not pull my arm down! And I started to freak out a little, especially when I began to hear what sounded to me like a lot of nervous laughter and cries of disbelief.  Finally the hypnotist told us that we could put our arms down and I was able to--in fact, I sort of collapsed into my seat.

As a bunch of kids ran up to the stage to volunteer, something told me to get up and get out of there.  I spotted one of my teachers at the back of the auditorium and asked if I could leave,  She took one look at me and shook her head and told me to go to the library.  As I was leaving, I found that I was being followed by about fifteen other kids all about as shaken as I was.

So that was as far as I was ever--and ever will let myself be--hypnotized.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #194 on: March 22, 2007, 07:55:22 AM »

And yet our own BK speaks well of Miss Bacall, having worked with her on the recording of

Drat the Cat

if I recall correctly.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 07:56:33 AM by Ben »

Matt H.

« Reply #195 on: March 22, 2007, 07:56:46 AM »

I wonder if we will make page 5?

Somebody made it there!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #196 on: March 22, 2007, 07:57:27 AM »

Hmmm...and here I always thought that Betty Bacall would be a fun one to have a drink and dish the dirt with.  I guess I'll cross her off that list.
-- Anaïs Nin

singdaw

« Reply #197 on: March 22, 2007, 07:57:47 AM »

So that was as far as I was ever--and ever will let myself be--hypnotized.

So, DR Dan (the Man), are you saying that you were aware, while you were hypnotized, of where you were, and what was going on around you?  I certainly would find that disconcerting.

I wonder if he had added the phrase, "And you will forget everything that has happened" would have made any difference?

Ginny

« Reply #198 on: March 22, 2007, 07:58:28 AM »

Mmm, pecan pie. I love it!!! I haven't had a good slice for a long time but I'm sure Miss Ginny's pie is at the top of the good list.

Aw, thanks, DR Ben.  Now I know what to serve for dessert whenever you come over for dinner  ;)

singdaw

« Reply #199 on: March 22, 2007, 07:58:36 AM »

Somebody made it there!

And if you can make it there, you can make it ANYwhere!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #200 on: March 22, 2007, 08:00:08 AM »

I don't know what it's called (Synchronicity?) but I've seen people who do it grasp each other's pinkies and say something (again, I haven't a clue what they say). We will have to make up a posting equivalent.

When two people say the same thing at the same time, one of them has to shout "Jinx!"  The one who shouts it first is owed a Coke from the other person.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #201 on: March 22, 2007, 08:00:36 AM »

At this rate we could be on Page 8 or 9 before BK wakes up.

Ginny

« Reply #202 on: March 22, 2007, 08:00:37 AM »

Is that anything like a clam bake?

June is bustin' out all over...

Not even close, DR singdaw, but the weather here in SW Ohio does sorta feel like June...

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #203 on: March 22, 2007, 08:01:02 AM »

...so she stayed on the floor surrounded by scared and suprised cast members until she got up of her own accord.

Serves her right.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

singdaw

« Reply #204 on: March 22, 2007, 08:02:55 AM »

The one who shouts it first is owed a Coke from the other person.

A cherry Coke™, right?   :)

Matt H.

« Reply #205 on: March 22, 2007, 08:03:26 AM »

Good morning!

Mostly cloudy morning, but there is some blue sky peeping through the clouds, so that's encouraging. It's going to be ever-warmer during the next few days, too.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #206 on: March 22, 2007, 08:04:00 AM »

And yet our own BK speaks well of Miss Bacall, having worked with her on the recording of

Drat the Cat

if I recall correctly.

I don't think Bacall was in that. Elaine Stritch was.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #207 on: March 22, 2007, 08:04:42 AM »

Singdaw: He was guilty.

Matt H.

« Reply #208 on: March 22, 2007, 08:04:47 AM »

And if you can make it there, you can make it ANYwhere!

Ain't THAT the truth!

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #209 on: March 22, 2007, 08:05:16 AM »

WHAT? What's that I hear??????????

RAIN????

Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26   Go Up