Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE VERY BUSY WEEK  (Read 15510 times)

DAW

Re: THE VERY BUSY WEEK
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2009, 07:01:17 AM »

Also, I neglected to mention that there was a nice profile of Alice Ripley in yesterday's New York Times.

DAW

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2009, 07:09:35 AM »

I decided not to join the HHW party cause I had nothing good to say and I didn't want to be a party pooper.

If you review any of last night's posts, you will find that this didn't stop the rest of us!   :)

DAW

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2009, 07:09:47 AM »

Love that photo, DR Ben!!!!!     :D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2009, 07:09:59 AM »

A little bit of background on last night's closing number.

"Work on the closing number started late last week when Mr. Harris contacted Mr. Wittman and Mr. Shaiman, who the host had worked with on the viral . . ."

So we have a New York Times writer who can't even give us the correct objective case of "whom"? The national IQ drops everyday and now the Times is contributing to it! Neither the writer nor the proofreader caught this grammatical error?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2009, 07:22:49 AM »

Love that photo, DR Ben!!!!!     :D

I do, too!  People sitting near DR Ben last night at RCMH were probably whispering about "that distinguished BBC/Wales critic."
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2009, 07:25:28 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And it feels like a Monday.  Just sayin'.
Make Your Own Luck.

DAW

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2009, 07:27:53 AM »

And it looks like www.bluegobo.com is back up and running....sans the Ed Sullivan clips.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2009, 07:28:15 AM »

DR Sam - I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your father. My condolences to you and your family.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2009, 07:29:07 AM »

I decided not to join the HHW party cause I had nothing good to say and I didn't want to be a party pooper.

If you review any of last night's posts, you will find that this didn't stop the rest of us!   :)

I was about to say... ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2009, 07:29:08 AM »

Good morning!

This is going to be the last nice day for awhile as we have rain/thunderstorms forecast for the rest of the week. Hot here today (88), so the AC will probably have to be turned on. Rats!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2009, 07:30:30 AM »

Very sorry to read of your loss, DR Sam. I certainly can empathize having lost my dad in 2000. My thoughts will be with you today.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2009, 07:30:53 AM »

Nice picture of DR Ben. Thanks for sharing.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2009, 07:33:12 AM »

Me, too.  I do love our little awards gatherings, even if I apparently irk dear reader Jose to no end - and I'm jiggy with that :).  It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it (which is also a lyric in one of the new Nudie Musical songs).

So... bk - Are you the only one who can be irked on this here site?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2009, 07:33:38 AM »

Humidity's back here, too, and we just gave in to air conditioning.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2009, 07:33:40 AM »

I enjoyed the Tony show last night more than those of the previous two years. That's not to say there weren't problems, and I agree that the songs for BILLY ELLIOTT and NEXT TO NORMAL didn't do those shows any favors. Still, I liked a good bit of the show and applaud that they tried to present songs, numbers (like the touring shows) which could cater to the heartland. I'd have rather seen something from WICKED rather than MAMMA MIA! but that's just my opinion.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2009, 07:35:07 AM »

DR Ben - Will you be wearing your tux again when you give your presentation in DC? ;)

-I await your I-was-sitting-in-RCMH report.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2009, 07:35:38 AM »

Today's work project will be THE GREATEST GAME IN THE WORLD on Blu-ray, a movie I've never seen. It's 2 hours long, so that will take a good piece of the afternoon, and with a large slate of shows tonight I'm interested in, it's going to be a busy day getting the disc done and some new TV watched.

Ben

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2009, 07:36:02 AM »

The difference between being in the theatre live and watching something on television is amazing, just like the opening number. It was friggin' amazing to see it in Radio City Music Hall. My friend said it didn't play well at all on television due to cutting and camera angles, etc. but it made me cry it was so exciting.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2009, 07:36:42 AM »

I enjoyed the Tony show last night more than those of the previous two years. That's not to say there weren't problems, and I agree that the songs for BILLY ELLIOTT and NEXT TO NORMAL didn't do those shows any favors. Still, I liked a good bit of the show and applaud that they tried to present songs, numbers (like the touring shows) which could cater to the heartland. I'd have rather seen something from WICKED rather than MAMMA MIA! but that's just my opinion.

From what I understand, Wicked was supposed to be represented last night, but I guess they just had to settle for the "reference" at the end of the Shrek number.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2009, 07:37:30 AM »

DR Ben - Will you be wearing your tux again when you give your presentation in DC? ;)

If it meant that Mr. Gates would give me a grant to research the difference between theatre in London, Dublin, Paris, New York, Minneapolis, San Francisco and Los Angeles, sure ;)

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2009, 07:37:55 AM »

On TV TOnight!™

ABC - THE BACHLORETTE, HERE COME THE NEWLYWEDS
NBC - I'M A CELEBRITY, DATELINE
TNT - THE CLOSER (season premiere), RAISING THE BAR (season premiere)
SHO - WEEDS (season premiere), NURSE JACKIE (series premiere)

Ben

« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2009, 07:38:35 AM »

If it meant that Mr. Gates would give me a grant to research the difference between theatre in London, Dublin, Paris, New York, Minneapolis, San Francisco and Los Angeles, sure ;)

I'll add Boston to that list also. I haven't been to Boston in years and would love to go back for a visit.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2009, 07:39:55 AM »

From what I understand, Wicked was supposed to be represented last night, but I guess they just had to settle for the "reference" at the end of the Shrek number.  ;)

With three national tours doing landoffice business, it certainly doesn't need the publicity (poor LEGALLY BLONDE can use all it can get), but I'd have liked to have seen a number from it.

Ginny

« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2009, 07:40:05 AM »

I'll add Boston to that list also. I haven't been to Boston in years and would love to go back for a visit.

Need a research assistant?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2009, 07:40:47 AM »

The difference between being in the theatre live and watching something on television is amazing, just like the opening number. It was friggin' amazing to see it in Radio City Music Hall. My friend said it didn't play well at all on television due to cutting and camera angles, etc. but it made me cry it was so exciting.

I was just going to say... ;)

Having attended one Tony Awards proper and two rehearsals, the show's directors really do try to make sure that the people sitting in the theatre get a good show (too).  -Especially since a good chunk of them paid a good chunk of money to be there.  If the whole show was blocked purely for the TV audience, well... Then it wouldn't be "theatre".  ???
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2009, 07:41:00 AM »

Yes, on TV it seemed way too busy, cluttered, and disorganized, and between sound cutouts and some off pitch singing, it was a mixed bag for sure.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2009, 07:45:24 AM »

Hmm... It's now 7:36am on the West Coast... I wonder if the workmen have started talking outside the window yet?

::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2009, 07:47:46 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

My usual stand-bys...

What's the difference between snow-men and snow-women?

Snowballs.

Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2009, 07:49:00 AM »

A little bit of background on last night's closing number.

"Work on the closing number started late last week when Mr. Harris contacted Mr. Wittman and Mr. Shaiman, who the host had worked with on the viral . . ."

So we have a New York Times writer who can't even give us the correct objective case of "whom"? The national IQ drops everyday and now the Times is contributing to it! Neither the writer nor the proofreader caught this grammatical error?

I guess my email to the Times worked! The sentence has been rewritten.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2009, 07:49:02 AM »

What's the difference between a vitamin and a hormone?

You can't make a "vita" "min".

(Think about it, say it loud....)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up