Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE IMPONDERABLES  (Read 24850 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE IMPONDERABLES
« Reply #270 on: January 26, 2009, 07:09:21 PM »

Waiting for Brent, who is late.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #271 on: January 26, 2009, 07:09:22 PM »

Tomovoz, do you have air conditioning?

Jane

« Reply #272 on: January 26, 2009, 07:10:20 PM »

A
Winter storm expected to arrive here overnight and last about 36 hours.

Aren't you glad you don't have to go to work? :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #273 on: January 26, 2009, 07:12:27 PM »

DR Tomovoz - ~~~~~LOWER TEMPS AND EVEN LOWER TEST SCORES VIBES TO YOU~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #274 on: January 26, 2009, 07:19:57 PM »

* * * * *  Goose Egg and Painless Tooth Pulling Vibes for DR Tomovoz  * * * * *
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #275 on: January 26, 2009, 07:20:15 PM »

A
Winter storm expected to arrive here overnight and last about 36 hours.

Aren't you glad you don't have to go to work? :)

That's one of the reasons I retired, DR Jane!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Tomovoz

« Reply #276 on: January 26, 2009, 07:22:43 PM »

Thank you DR Uncle JoJo.

No air con DR Jane.  This house is quite cool.  By the end of this week it won't be - but that is really unusual.  I have always survived without air con in my car too. I've driven North to Queensland in the heat of summer and survived quite well. 

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #277 on: January 26, 2009, 07:22:46 PM »

'night

Jane

« Reply #278 on: January 26, 2009, 07:23:32 PM »

Everyone stay warm or cool, whichever you prefer ;)

Tomovoz

« Reply #279 on: January 26, 2009, 07:23:45 PM »

Thank you for the goose DR DtM.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #280 on: January 26, 2009, 07:26:24 PM »

Today's nostalgia listening - Soundtrack of Carmen Jones.  The wonderful voices of Dorothy Dandridge and Harry Belafonte! (OK I know)
James Thurber 1957

Laura

« Reply #281 on: January 26, 2009, 07:28:10 PM »

I hope you can keep cool, Tomovoz. We usually turn on the ac when it reaches about 99F.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Tomovoz

« Reply #282 on: January 26, 2009, 07:32:12 PM »

Thanks Laura.  I wish more people here would wait until that temperature before they used their air cons.  So much energy is wasted.

We had no air conditioning (except in Computer Rooms) in the Schools in which I taught.  That was/is the normal situation here. 
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #283 on: January 26, 2009, 07:46:32 PM »

Thanks Laura.  I wish more people here would wait until that temperature before they used their air cons.  So much energy is wasted.

We had no air conditioning (except in Computer Rooms) in the Schools in which I taught.  That was/is the normal situation here. 

I have no air conditioning in my house.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #284 on: January 26, 2009, 07:46:54 PM »

For those who remember Leo Sayer!

He is now an Australian Citizen. 

I wonder if that makes him feel like dancing?
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #285 on: January 26, 2009, 07:47:32 PM »

Just wanted to add to the Kindle discussion:  it is not totally text-only.  I've purchased/uploaded a couple of books that included the original illustrations.  Plus, I've browsed through a book on a friend's Kindle that included photographs.  They are in monochrome and are not at high-resolution, but they are clearly visible.

Also, one of the lesser-known features is that it includes a web browser that can access the internet just about anywhere through its connection to the Sprint G3 network.  It's not the easiest to use but it works in a pinch.  I've been able to access this here site (though I've yet been able to post.)  There is no monthly charge for the use of this internet service, either.

The battery take very little time to charge fully and lasts a good long time (though it helps to turn off the network connection when it's not in use.)  The unit itself is very light--probably lighter than most paperback books.  And the view screen is amazingly readable in just about any light.  I've used it on the beach in full sunlight--the print appears extremely clear.

If I have one complaint, it's the extra "Next Page" button on the left hand side--it's located right where it would be the perfect place to hold my thumb and the button gets hit a lot unintentionally.  They really need to get rid of it.

From what I've been reading, the next model will have a backlight, handle color, and will feature some kind of built-in e-mail reader, so at this point I guess I would wait for that one.

And finally, I love books--real books--too.  I still love to go into book store and browse, I still love to hold and read books in my hand.  But I only have space for so many and there's a lot of books that I want to read that I don't see the need to own physically.  With the Kindle I can still indulge on picking up a book or two that I may not get around to reading right away and not have to worry about squeezing into my already tight library.  This toy hasn't replaced books in my life at all.  It's an extension of my reading life.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 08:01:31 PM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #286 on: January 26, 2009, 07:49:56 PM »

Oy!  All this talk of air conditioning when it's 30 degrees here in the South of Jersey. 
-- Anaïs Nin

Tomovoz

« Reply #287 on: January 26, 2009, 07:50:46 PM »

I wonder if that makes him feel like dancing?

Long Tall Glasses are more likely to get his interest today.
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #288 on: January 26, 2009, 07:55:18 PM »

Time to head home!

Until later. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #289 on: January 26, 2009, 07:57:50 PM »

I ran across menus for local drug store soda fountains and one from Farrell's circa 1970 when I went there a lot.  A Coke went for $.15 and a banana split at Farrell's was expensive at a whole dollar!!!!!
Burgers were between $.60 and $.85.  A side of Fries was $.50; an ice cream soda or Milk Shake was $.50 (A nickel extra for malt).  Prices had gone up a lot since I was a little kid.

No wonder I don't know how to live in this world.   ;) :-[ :P ::)

DR Kerry et al - I may have posted this before, but just in case I didn't - Did you know that Farrell's is BACK!

FARRELL'S ICE CREAM PARLOUR & RESTAURANT
Make Your Own Luck.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #290 on: January 26, 2009, 08:02:40 PM »

Six babes???? Dear lord.

Toby is much much better, as am I.  Thanks for asking, DR Laura. 

Laura

« Reply #291 on: January 26, 2009, 08:07:30 PM »

I think it is eight, Ann.

I'm glad Toby is feeling better, and you, too.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #292 on: January 26, 2009, 08:07:35 PM »

I don't dislike TRUST ME with the loathing I feel for SAVING GRACE but i have no idea if after next week's episode I'll be staying with TNT after THE CLOSER.  Tonight's episode left me feeling quite apathetic even though I loved Jason O'Mara's guest shot.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #293 on: January 26, 2009, 08:09:04 PM »

Octuplets is 8...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #294 on: January 26, 2009, 08:09:21 PM »

I remember some of his songs from the 1970s
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #295 on: January 26, 2009, 08:09:55 PM »

Kindle might be nice for some people, but I like books.

I like the feel of them, their texture, their heft.  (Sorry, Jane, but yes, heft.)  I like the smell of them, that subtle blend of paper and ink.  I like turning pages.

One of the statements I keep running across online is that no one needs cookbooks any more, that you can find any recipe you want on the internet.  This is clearly a statement repeated ad nauseum by people who do not like books, or reading for that matter.  Cookbooks, and books in general, are more than collections of recipes - they collect knowledge about cultures, places, techniques, ideas.

Books are philosophical.  Books encourage the imagination.  Books spark the need to linger over one's thoughts.

Books are the enemy of repressive societies - how many oppressive regimes have included burning books as part of how they take power?

Hmmmm.... Kindle.  Like kindling.  Like a "Let's start burning the books" kind of kindling.

I won't be getting a Kindle any time soon.

(Bows kindly to his audience, and steps down from his soapbox)

I like books personally, however a Kindle may be useful.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #296 on: January 26, 2009, 08:10:29 PM »

I am glad to hear that squire Toby is feeling better

Laura

« Reply #297 on: January 26, 2009, 08:10:39 PM »

I remember Farrell's "Zoo." Vaguely. I don't remember whose birthday party it was.

Cillaliz

« Reply #298 on: January 26, 2009, 08:23:50 PM »

So, after hearing the annoying count down to digital for months and months they are going to delay it. Great. now we'll get to hear the countdown all over again. Months and months of it.  good grief, if there is anyone on the planet that didn't know you'll need a digital converter, they don't watch enough TV to care

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #299 on: January 26, 2009, 08:29:02 PM »

I had a busy night of viewing. First, I had to finish the bonus features on FRIDAY THE 13th Part 2.

I have to admit, the 30 minute fan convention roundtable discussion with four actors who played Jason in variosu films was pretty interesting. They had some fun stories to tell, and I thought of DR MBarnum because the third one of the guys (I believe he was Jason in FRIDAY VI) was a gorgeous man with a spectacular build.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up