Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE IMPONDERABLES  (Read 24946 times)

Kerry

Re: THE IMPONDERABLES
« Reply #210 on: January 26, 2009, 03:16:43 PM »

I ran across menus for local drug store soda fountains and one from Farrell's circa 1970 when I went there a lot.  A Coke went for $.15 and a banana split at Farrell's was expensive at a whole dollar!!!!!
Burgers were between $.60 and $.85.  A side of Fries was $.50; an ice cream soda or Milk Shake was $.50 (A nickel extra for malt).  Prices had gone up a lot since I was a little kid.

No wonder I don't know how to live in this world.   ;) :-[ :P ::)
I like boat races.

MBarnum

« Reply #211 on: January 26, 2009, 03:19:28 PM »

Too bad you can't fly out of Portland DR Jane...a flight from PDX to LA is just $93 each way...$100 each way to Burbank.

I should book my April flight now, I think.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #212 on: January 26, 2009, 03:22:07 PM »

Somewhat dire news for fans of UGLY BETTY. Here's a story I just cut and pasted from VARIETY:

ABC is shuffling its comedy deck, adding a Thursday night laffer block to the mix.
Alphabet net will bow new comedy "In the Motherhood" on Thursdays at 8 p.m. starting March 26, pairing the half-hour with sophomore comedy "Samantha Who."

Net also plans to move "Scrubs" to Wednesdays at 8 p.m. starting March 18, and pair it with new laffer "Better off Ted."

The Thursday block will displace "Ugly Betty," which the net said will return after "Motherhood" and "Samantha" complete their runs.

??? 
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #213 on: January 26, 2009, 03:27:32 PM »

I've written about seven and a half pages now, and will probably finish the eighth page before I leave.  That's enough for today, I think.  I have about five more pages in this chapter.

Jennifer

« Reply #214 on: January 26, 2009, 03:27:35 PM »

DR MattH i just read the news about UGLY BETTY going on hiatus in march.

I think ABC keeps making one disastrous decision after another!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #215 on: January 26, 2009, 03:32:57 PM »

You can discover your CHINESE animal by the year you were born here.

http://www.qi-journal.com/culture.asp?-token.SearchID=Astrology%20and%20Zodiac

I'm a horse (fire).

The Horse personality often varies radically. In Asia, it is believed that those born in the years of the Horse may be tyrants, revolutionaries, or thieves. On the other hand, they have great capacity to excel. Others are often in awe of them, worship them, but seldom really understand them.

Horses are good at handling money, but often lose interest in their goals. Chinese believe that horses are born to race or travel, therefore Horse people leave home at a young age, and remain restless throughout their life. They are impatient, yet quick-witted with a huge ego. They have a hard time belonging anywhere for long.

Horse people do well in groups and is never short on conversation. Social contact is important to the Horse and they often form close relationships with others and will give up anything for a good romance....

This is so NOT me...not one single bit...except for the last part...sort of:

The Horse represents desires and wishes they are usually associated with males. The ancients deemed the Year of the Horse to have masculine attributes. The hour of the Horse falls at high noon and the month of the Horse includes the Summer Solstice, which are both strong "yang" forces.

Well... ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #216 on: January 26, 2009, 03:43:47 PM »

Too bad you can't fly out of Portland DR Jane...a flight from PDX to LA is just $93 each way...$100 each way to Burbank.

If we did I would be on my way. ;)

Tomovoz

« Reply #217 on: January 26, 2009, 03:50:23 PM »

I've just returned from a blood test.  Scoring 0 would be good!  I didn't do my homework or study so I hope that helped.  Another 9 days before I see my surgeon for the last cancer cell count.  Would I worry?  YOU BET.

I will probably have a tooth pulled out on Thursday - cheaper than a root canal! 

It's a great week.

We are expecting four days in a row of 40 degrees C here.  If it happens it will be the hottest week in Melbourne since 1903. (I don't remember that one that well)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #218 on: January 26, 2009, 03:50:41 PM »

I found a Kindle compatible light & watched the drop test video.  At the rate I drop my cell phone it was good to see this doesn’t break easily.  I have become fascinated with this.  DR DAW I wish you lived closer so I could experience reading on it.

I’m wondering how many of the books on my wish list can be downloaded.  I’ve been searching for a list of books available with Kindle & so far have not found one.

Tomovoz

« Reply #219 on: January 26, 2009, 03:51:37 PM »

For those who remember Leo Sayer!

He is now an Australian Citizen. 
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DAW

« Reply #220 on: January 26, 2009, 03:51:42 PM »

Once you buy a book for Kindle, can you later trasfer that file to a CD or your computer?

No, I don't think so.  But I wouldn't want to read a novel off a computer screen, anyway.

DAW

« Reply #221 on: January 26, 2009, 03:52:28 PM »

DR George is correct; the Kindle is really for text, not pictures or illustrations.  The daily NY Times does include some photos.

Jane

« Reply #222 on: January 26, 2009, 03:52:55 PM »

DR Tomovoz, HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY, or what is left of it.

SUPER VIBES FOR A SCORE OF 0!!!!!

Tooth pulling vibes too-ouch!

Laura

« Reply #223 on: January 26, 2009, 03:54:30 PM »

I've just returned from a blood test.  Scoring 0 would be good!  I didn't do my homework or study so I hope that helped.  Another 9 days before I see my surgeon for the last cancer cell count.  Would I worry?  YOU BET.

I will probably have a tooth pulled out on Thursday - cheaper than a root canal! 

(((((Tomovoz)))))
"That's a lotta hamsters."

DAW

« Reply #224 on: January 26, 2009, 03:56:17 PM »

DR DAW I wish you lived closer so I could experience reading on it.

DH Richard seemed quite enthralled when he was visiting NYC last year!!

You are quite right to check out the list of available books.  Their inventory is much more vast than any comparable product and growing, but still far short of all that is in print.  You should also know that there are many more books available elsewhere on the net, not just on Amazon, that are compatible with the Kindle, including most of the classics.  But you may not find, at present, many of the books that you might read for, say, your book club.  So that's definitely a factor.

DAW

« Reply #225 on: January 26, 2009, 03:57:03 PM »

***TOOTH VIBES***
for DR Tomovoz!!!!!!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #226 on: January 26, 2009, 04:00:53 PM »

Scoring a 0 and Tooth Vibes to DR Tomovoz ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tomovoz

« Reply #227 on: January 26, 2009, 04:03:04 PM »

Thanks Hainsies.

I keep DR Vixmom in mind when I face anything medical.  She really is an example - a great one - to us all.
James Thurber 1957

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #228 on: January 26, 2009, 04:04:04 PM »

Once you buy a book for Kindle, can you later trasfer that file to a CD or your computer?

No, I don't think so.  But I wouldn't want to read a novel off a computer screen, anyway.

I don't want to read it off the computer screen.  I just wanto have it in case I should ever want to read it again.
You can dream…or you can do.

Jane

« Reply #229 on: January 26, 2009, 04:07:30 PM »

DAW I'm reading people find deals on books they download (very time consuming all this finding of reading material).  What is the price range you usually pay for books?

I still haven't found a link to the book list.  It would be interesting to compare my list to theirs.  I do read a large variety of books so even finding half of those on my list would be good.  I spend a lot of time in used book stores  & sometimes it takes years before I find a book on my list. 

Jane

« Reply #230 on: January 26, 2009, 04:22:35 PM »

Stop & Shop and Giant Food supermarkets are offering a free two-week course of antibiotics to anyone with a valid prescription from a doctor. This program, which continues through March 21, covers many of the most commonly prescribed generic antibiotics—including amoxicillin, penicillin and ciprofloxacin in varying doses—at all supermarkets with an in-store pharmacy. Both chains are managed by the same parent company.

Anyone live near these markets?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #231 on: January 26, 2009, 04:26:48 PM »

Kindle might be nice for some people, but I like books.

I like the feel of them, their texture, their heft.  (Sorry, Jane, but yes, heft.)  I like the smell of them, that subtle blend of paper and ink.  I like turning pages.

One of the statements I keep running across online is that no one needs cookbooks any more, that you can find any recipe you want on the internet.  This is clearly a statement repeated ad nauseum by people who do not like books, or reading for that matter.  Cookbooks, and books in general, are more than collections of recipes - they collect knowledge about cultures, places, techniques, ideas.

Books are philosophical.  Books encourage the imagination.  Books spark the need to linger over one's thoughts.

Books are the enemy of repressive societies - how many oppressive regimes have included burning books as part of how they take power?

Hmmmm.... Kindle.  Like kindling.  Like a "Let's start burning the books" kind of kindling.

I won't be getting a Kindle any time soon.

(Bows kindly to his audience, and steps down from his soapbox)

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

td

• td
« Reply #232 on: January 26, 2009, 04:27:01 PM »

If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #233 on: January 26, 2009, 04:30:37 PM »

Stop & Shop and Giant Food supermarkets are offering a free two-week course of antibiotics to anyone with a valid prescription from a doctor. This program, which continues through March 21, covers many of the most commonly prescribed generic antibiotics—including amoxicillin, penicillin and ciprofloxacin in varying doses—at all supermarkets with an in-store pharmacy. Both chains are managed by the same parent company.

Jane, I WORK FOR GIANT!

And, yes, we've a great pharmacy in the store.  Der B switched his prescriptions from Sam's Club to our pharmacy over a year ago, not just because the store is so much closer to home but also because he likes the staff.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

« Reply #234 on: January 26, 2009, 04:34:00 PM »

DR S.W.W. I feel the same way about books that you do.  There was a time when I groaned just to read a paperback instead of a hardcover.  The simple fact is, it is very painful for me to hold a heavy book.  Aside from my wrist problems I now have to read with my glasses off & the book up in my face.  If I could read in bed with the lights on, sitting in a comfortable position, it wouldn't be so bad.  That's ok, I'll take having Keith home any day over lights on at night.  I had years & years of Keith not home & the lights on.

Ginny

« Reply #235 on: January 26, 2009, 04:34:28 PM »

DR DAW I wish you lived closer so I could experience reading on it.

DH Richard seemed quite enthralled when he was visiting NYC last year!!

He was, indeed, but hasn't yet become a Kindle reader.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #236 on: January 26, 2009, 04:35:29 PM »

Thanks to DRs George and Cillaliz, who contributed vibes for my mom while I was asleep in my chair in the family room.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #237 on: January 26, 2009, 04:35:39 PM »

Jane, I WORK FOR GIANT!

And, yes, we've a great pharmacy in the store.  Der B switched his prescriptions from Sam's Club to our pharmacy over a year ago, not just because the store is so much closer to home but also because he likes the staff.

I hope employees are not disqualified from the free offer.  If anyone I would think they would want their staff well & working.

Jane

« Reply #238 on: January 26, 2009, 04:36:38 PM »

Thankd DR td.  I will browse the site now.

Cillaliz

« Reply #239 on: January 26, 2009, 04:39:37 PM »

Kindle might be nice for some people, but I like books.

I like the feel of them, their texture, their heft.  (Sorry, Jane, but yes, heft.)  I like the smell of them, that subtle blend of paper and ink.  I like turning pages.

One of the statements I keep running across online is that no one needs cookbooks any more, that you can find any recipe you want on the internet.  This is clearly a statement repeated ad nauseum by people who do not like books, or reading for that matter.  Cookbooks, and books in general, are more than collections of recipes - they collect knowledge about cultures, places, techniques, ideas.

Books are philosophical.  Books encourage the imagination.  Books spark the need to linger over one's thoughts.

Books are the enemy of repressive societies - how many oppressive regimes have included burning books as part of how they take power?

Hmmmm.... Kindle.  Like kindling.  Like a "Let's start burning the books" kind of kindling.

I won't be getting a Kindle any time soon.

(Bows kindly to his audience, and steps down from his soapbox)

Ditto
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Up