Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WEBSITE NOT RESPONDING  (Read 16940 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:WEBSITE NOT RESPONDING
« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2004, 03:03:52 PM »

Elmore I am far from a Republican (heck... I'm not even American) but insinuating that members of that party are "nazis" is wrong - especially because there are several Republican members at this here site who are anything BUT fascists.  It's paramount to Democrats having been called communists back in the Cold War.  

DREmily, your rebuke is well taken, but I know many Republicans who did not vote for this administration because of their policies and anger over an unjust war.  My nazi accusations refer only to this current Republican regime and to my feelings that a lot of neo-fascists as well as a lot of non-thinking idiots voted this regime back in.  My homestate Ohio seems to be home to a large number of them, as I was aware when I lived there, and I'm much happier away from the state.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: November 03, 2004, 03:06:31 PM »

Well, one thing, with the GOP owning the legislature, the judiciary, and the White House, they can't blame a damned thing on the Democrats.  Bush won't be able to deny his mistakes and weasel out of responsibility for what comes.

DRCharlesPogue, I can always count on you to balance my rage with some very sage advice here.  Thanks.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2004, 03:12:42 PM »

Yet, the “fear factor” has never been mentioned to me by anyone I know who voted for Bush.  I personally was very sad Kerry was elected to represent the Democrats in this election.  I’m sorry elmore but I really believe that is why Bush won and I just pray he does a better job of it this time around.

DRJane, according to the news analysts, the war on terror was a primary reason for his re-election in the hinterlands.  I've had the radio and tv on all day.  The voters seemed less concerned with economics and the Constitution, stating the Democrats were pushing gay marriage and demise of the Bible, and the Bible-belt religious right has been quite instrumental in this election passing a lot of lying propaganda to its voters.  I don't think Dubya will do any better this round since he's the puppet of Cheney, Ashcroft, and the rest of the warmongers.  They pull the strings and he dances.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #93 on: November 03, 2004, 03:17:34 PM »

As far as the election and election results are concerned...  I think Kerry' final "prayer" of his concession speech sums my thoughts up:

God Bless America

-Whether you spell God with a "small g" or a "capital G", or some other letter of the alphabet...  Let us just hope that we all truly begin to see ourselves as Americans, rather than a member of some political party which is represented by an animal.

I've never been heavily into politics, but I have started to pay more than a passing glance to the news the past couple of months.  Virginia has become a "legally" gay-unfriendly Commonwealth in the past couple of months.  -And I find it ironic that the state of Texas is actually gay-friendly - or at least gay-tolerant.

I'd say more, but I know I'd just ramble right now...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 03:19:21 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #94 on: November 03, 2004, 03:24:08 PM »

CP I have always liked Lincoln’s quote regarding Grant-LOL.  I still found Bill to be an embarrassment and I would have to like Hillary far more than I do now before I would want them back together leading our country.  Fear not, I am capable of disliking the man and appreciating what he did right.  

Please remember I’m not defending Bush or his presidency so far, simply the fact there are reasons not to like Kerry and not all Bush supporters found him comforting, just more so than Kerry.  As for shouting in the wind, boy you should have heard some of the Kerry supporters in Oregon.  And yes, I too am scared about the next four years.  If Kerry had been elected as I honestly thought he would be, I would still have been concerned about our future.  Either side was not going to comfort me.   Unlike many of you I began without hope and today doesn’t have the same painful effect on me.

I envy all you who have been Kerry or Bush fans.  What I want is a candidate I can feel passionate about again, preferably a Democrat, but at this point I will take one in any party.  

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #95 on: November 03, 2004, 03:24:19 PM »

I have to agree with DR Jane.  In order to have any chance of defeating Bush in this election, the Democrats needed to produce a REALLY strong candidate.  As much as I admire Kerry as a public speaker and as an intelligent human being, he simply wasn't a strong enough choice.  People were saying last night that the Democrats were starting to promote the "ABB" strategy..."Anybody But Bush."  A good notion, perhaps, but not enough to win them an election.  It makes me very sad...not surprised...but deeply sad.    

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2004, 03:29:46 PM »

-Oh, one thing I did hear on NPR while driving around this afternoon, and which I did thing was a good thing to point out...  And even though the whole "numbers" spin is already driving me up the wall...

There was a record turnout of voters this election.

There was a record amount of voters voting for Bush.

There was a record amount of voters voting for Kerry.

Consequently, there was a record amount of voters voting against Bush.  -And a record amount of voters voting against Kerry.

Let's just hope that this means that more of the American public will begin to analyze and think about how their leaders - our leaders - are leading our Country.  Accountability.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #97 on: November 03, 2004, 03:31:09 PM »

and btw, can I just say...I do love it here on HHW.  On many other chat boards I have looked at this morning, there are cruel ugly words being spoken as people lash out at each other.  Such bickering doesn't help anything...and we all seem to know that here.  Here I see people discussing their opinions with eloquence and tact...even contrary opinions.  I can't begin to say how much I love seeing that.  :)

Jane

« Reply #98 on: November 03, 2004, 03:32:55 PM »

elmore, I'm pleased that my friends who voted for Bush had better personal reasons than just the war on terror, if I agree with their politics or not.

Ann I don’t know about you, but by the time Oregon voted in the primaries we didn’t have much of a say-Kerry was already elected.  I wish the primaries were across the country at the same time.

Jane

« Reply #99 on: November 03, 2004, 03:39:52 PM »

Very true Ann.   I might never feel the same about a close friend because of the way she treated me.  All I did was try and answer her question as to why anyone could be undecided in this election.  The next day I thought she was sending me an email to apologize (Keith did also) but no it was more of the same.  Talking to her was definitely like trying to talk into the wind.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #100 on: November 03, 2004, 03:43:02 PM »

Back to the Food...

For lunch, I headed over to Becks Prime.  Some of the locals had mentioned that Becks has some of the best burgers in Houston, county, state, country, etc.  And they're claims seemed to have been dead on.

What a great burger!  1/2 pound of ground chuck - ground daily in the restaurant - cooked/grilled to order! -And some pretty decent fries too!  -Skin-on, the way I like them!

I also found the whole Becks Prime operation kind of unique.  Technically, it's a "fast-food" operation, but it's far from fast-food.  Yes, they have drive-thrus.  Yes, you place your order at a counter.  Yes, they serve burgers and fries and sodas and shakes.  But...

After you place your order, you get a beeper that will tell you when your order is ready.  -However, since I was one of two customers in the place this afternoon, the manager went ahead and brought my order to the table.  The menu does center on beef, but it also includes various cuts of steak, chicken and fish.  And some of their "Prime Dinners" are true dinners - even being priced in the $10.00 and up range.  Filet mignon, aged-steaks...The Big T-Bone dinner was listed at $21.95.  Definitely not your typical fast food place.

-Of course, I just had to wonder at the "convenience" of the drive-thru since every order is cooked to order.

*Oh, I have driven by one of their locations during the lunch rush, and the amount of smoke coming from their "exhaust system" was quite abundant.  -And sort of mouth-watering... Hmm.. mouth-watering exhaust... Hmmm...

:P

In short, if you happen to find yourself in Houston, give Becks Prime a try.

-And, trust me, I have in no way been compensated for this endorsement.  ...Darn!! ;-)
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2004, 03:56:14 PM »

A break from thinking abut disappoinments and bleak futures!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #102 on: November 03, 2004, 03:57:32 PM »

A break from thinking abut disappoinments and bleak futures!

Thank you, Dr Tomovoz!

Hmmm... France... Hmm...

;)

-I'm off to the theatre...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2004, 04:00:12 PM »

Those fries sound good but no homemade veggie burger?

Jane

« Reply #104 on: November 03, 2004, 04:01:26 PM »

Tomovoz-LOL and another beautiful photo taken from a great angle.

Jennifer

« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2004, 04:02:46 PM »

Thanks guys for all the vibes.  Unfortunately the court case did not go well.  I feel bad being down when so many of you are so upset today.  But I feel totally disheartened by the US legal system.

Tomovoz

« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2004, 04:05:23 PM »

Tomovoz-LOL and another beautiful photo taken from a great angle.
So standing on the roof was worth it?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2004, 04:06:54 PM »

Evening all.

Well, I guess I should have slept longer.  Somebody wake me in four years when this nightmare is over.  

I’m stunned.  Simply stunned, heartsick and very, very, very scared.  I guess we can kiss Social Sercruity goodbye.  Don't even get me started on everything else.  Enough said.

Elmore, you and I must have been on the same wavelength, dream wise.  I also dreamed of a house last night.  I dreamed my Mother called me at work and said (like she did all those years ago) “I bought a house.”.  I thought “Oh, no!  Not AGAIN!” and sure enough, it was a horrible place, worse then the house we have now.  What that means, I know not.

Panni, have a very good time but please be safe.
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
A Very Happy Birthday to DR Emily!  Many, many, many more!
[/move]

I know the first VCR I had was one of those big button type with the top load.  I also remember paying a hundred dollars for Star Wars when it came out on VHS.  

I got the results from my dye test.  They didn’t find anything but the doctor still wants to see me.  So the “something” he thought was there was “nothing” and he still wants me to come to the office so he can get his twenty dollar co-pay.  Sigh.

I suppose one must put things into perspective.  At least the mess is over so we don’t have to worry about missing tonight’s Lost episode.   ::)

« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 04:13:10 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2004, 04:17:18 PM »

Tomovoz, absolutely. :D

Danise-we must not miss out on LOST-LOL

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: November 03, 2004, 04:35:23 PM »

I must say all the heartfelt posting here today is very smart and touching as well.  I, too, agree with Jane - no other website has a group of people (and lurkers) like this.  I'm proud of this here site and everyone who reads and/or posts to it.  As I've said, we occasionally have our differences, we occasionally bruise egos, but overall the amount of care and respect here is heartening in the Internet age.  There, I've said it and I'm glad.

I tought Miss Barbara Deustch her song and she'll be wonderful.  It was originally written in the key of E, which I knew would be too high for her, so four days ago I dropped it to C and learned how to play it in that key so that I was finally comfortable.  Unfortunately, C was also too high, so today I dropped it to A.  I'm now trying to get comfortable playing it in A, a much less friendly key for this particular song, piano-wise.  I've pretty much got it down except for the vamp, which I just can't get used to in this key.  Hopefully, I'll be used to it by noon tomorrow.

td

• td
« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2004, 04:36:26 PM »

! !It's a POST to say Happy Birthday EMILY!  !
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2004, 04:41:28 PM »

Happy birthday, Dear Reader Emily!

I don't like to get into political discussions, so I'm not going to comment on the big news story of the day.

Other than that, I don't have much to say.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Michael

« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2004, 04:44:06 PM »

My next dream seemed to be tied up with James Kirkwood's comedy UTBU (Unhealthy to Be Unpleasant) about a company

Had to read this line a couple of times. Being tied up with James Kirkwood certianlly peaked my interest! ;D
Never stop dreaming.

td

• td
« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2004, 04:47:53 PM »

I do believe that DR Jane expressed my feelings exactly, and quite briefly and concisely, too:  I had no passion for either candidate, rather my passion was in trying to dismantle one man's rule with the weapon of my single vote.  One consolation I found whilst watching results on www.cnn.com last night, was that Kerry did take my particular voting district in Pennsylvania by storm.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Michael

« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2004, 04:53:33 PM »

Happy Birthday Emily!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #115 on: November 03, 2004, 04:54:42 PM »

Hoping Hilary Clinton runs in 2008 so she can lick Bush and the republicans!
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #116 on: November 03, 2004, 04:55:37 PM »

DR Elmore and Mr Kirkwood - Tied. "Of Human Bandage" perhaps.
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #117 on: November 03, 2004, 05:08:41 PM »

Ask BK:

I see that the Geffen Playhouse is doing a revised version of Paint Your Wagon. (Since I only have the film as a reference and I all I know about the stage story is the synopsis in the cd booklet.) Have you ever seen the show on stage and if so do you think is can be revived or the only way it can be is with a new libretto like they are doing at the Geffen?

And if the opportunity ever arose would you like to produce an album of the entire score?
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2004, 05:11:29 PM »

Bruce I’m so glad you agree with me, however on that particular subject I believe it is Ann you agree with, and I agree with you both.

I’m also happy td agrees with me-and Ann before him. :)

Ginny

« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2004, 05:31:47 PM »

My nazi accusations refer only to this current Republican regime and to my feelings that a lot of neo-fascists as well as a lot of non-thinking idiots voted this regime back in.  My homestate Ohio seems to be home to a large number of them, as I was aware when I lived there, and I'm much happier away from the state.

Elmore - Please remember that 48% of us in Ohio did not vote for the current administration!  In fact, I think yesterday's victors should not celebrate a landslide, but pay attention to just how close the election really was.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up