The BK Books > The Life and Times of Benjamin Kritzer

KRITZER TIME Thoughts

(1/3) > >>

Panni:
 Well, DRs, I've just had a totally emotional and engrossing experience. I have just read - in two sittings - a pre-publication galley of KRITZER TIME.
What to say? This book affected me on many levels. One was the "Oh yes!" factor of recognizing what it's like to be an out-of-step young artist in a world of numbing conformity. What an unexpected thrill to see reflected  in the life of one Benjamin Kritzer so many things that I thought were singular to my bizarre young life. But even if the reader has not one tiny thing in common with Benjamin, this book takes you on a journey into a world of youth. And we've all been there - some of us still are - either in years or mindset. We see the world through young Benjamin's eyes and we laugh cry and wonder at it with him - through him. KRITZER TIME also happens to be one of the best depictions I've ever read of the creative process in a young person, for whom it is a total and delightful surprise rather than a daunting task.
This book of full of music, movies, theater. Yes! Benjamin, movie buff supreme, discovers the theater. Live actors speaking and singing thrilling words. Sitting alone in a darkened theater for the first time, a new world opens up for our hero. And through this lovely book, we are lucky enough to be invited along for the ride.

I cried several times while reading KRITZER TIME and I defy anyone to reach the last page and not be deeply affected, perhaps even a little changed.
So there you have it - comedy, tragedy, music, movies, theater.
What is it, fish? No, it's KRITZER TIME. Do read it.

Ben:
Here is Penny O's review as posted on BN.com. BK asked that it be posted here as well.

A reviewer, a reader from Southern California, March 11, 2004,

Comedy is hard

Bruce Kimmel has come into his full power as a writer. The two Kritzer books that lead to this one showed his mastery of language, his infallible comic timing, his willingness to fully and honestly flesh out his characters - now all the preparation inherent in the writing of those first two installments of the Kritzer trilogy has come to full bloom in this surprising finale. The concerns, joys, troubles, the whole magic world of the child Benjamin evaporate away as this Benjamin experiences his unavoidable Fall from Grace. In his expulsion from Eden, we all lose our innocence.

DERBRUCER:
Here is another review from B&N:

A reviewer, a reader from Chicago, March 10, 2004,

An amazing journey
I was given Benjamin Kritzer as a gift two years ago and I fell in love with him and his world. That book was funny and heartbreaking. Kritzerland was a wonderful follow-up, but nothing could have prepared me for the power of Kritzer Time (apparently the last book in the series). In Kritzer Time we follow Benjamin from thirteen to seventeen, covering the years 1960-1965. I don't want to give anything away, other than to say I laughed out loud many times, and if you are not moved to tears by the end of this book, you have a harder heart than I. Mr. Kimmel has hit a home run once again. A beautiful book.

Also recommended: Benjamin Kritzer and Kritzerland

der Someone Brucer

Jane:
I read, I savored, and I didn’t stop reading until I had finished Kritzer Time.  From the gripping opening to the bittersweet ending I was flooded with memories from my own childhood and enjoyed every minute of this beautiful book.  

Ann:
Here is the review I wrote and posted on web..amazon, et al

I finished reading Kritzer Time not five minutes ago, and I'm sitting here with a few lingering tears in my eyes.  I must write this review before the magic begins to fade and I lose the words.  Kritzer Time is a beautiful and fitting end to the Benjamin Kritzer trilogy.  Kimmel brings the semi-autobiographical character from the innocence of childhood through the trials and tribulations of high school with sensitivity, reverence, and a great deal of humor.  
The reader is granted a front row seat to watch as the boy becomes a young man.  Anyone who grew up enamored with the arts will empathize with Benjamin as he struggles to find his own way in a world that largely doesn't understand him, and will celebrate with him as he finds a place of acceptance and appreciation for his unique talents.  
Whether you grew up in Los Angeles or not, you will identify with Benjamin as he watches his childhood home grow and change, and realizes that he too is changing along with it.  
If you haven't read first two books, read them first!  Then read Kritzer Time and enjoy...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version