Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT  (Read 33510 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT
« Reply #120 on: June 07, 2006, 11:34:40 AM »

Shoot me!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #121 on: June 07, 2006, 11:35:10 AM »

I could do this all day....but then...somebody would take out a hit on me.

So....

I will NOW take a breath.

It's time for lunch.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2006, 11:40:39 AM »

ROCKAPELLA also sang the Folgers Coffee commercials.  We had the pleasure of attending their concert at the Ginger Rogers Craterion Theater in Medford.

MBarnum

« Reply #123 on: June 07, 2006, 11:46:40 AM »

My problem is that if I keep food in the house then I eat it right up.

If you keep healthy foods in the house and graze throughout the day then that is not a problem.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2006, 11:48:10 AM »

Back from my meeting, the results of which I won't know for a few days.  

Acapella groups - not my favorite thing to listen to, but I do like the Swingle Singers.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #125 on: June 07, 2006, 11:52:08 AM »

MBarnum, I enjoy your new avatar.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #126 on: June 07, 2006, 11:55:02 AM »

In fact, I am noticing that it's been quite a while since the living room has been painted.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

MBarnum

« Reply #127 on: June 07, 2006, 11:56:03 AM »

I am in Technicolor (but not TohoScope) now

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2006, 11:57:51 AM »

I am in Technicolor (but not TohoScope) now

And very becoming too!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #129 on: June 07, 2006, 11:59:19 AM »

In fact, I am noticing that it's been quite a while since the living room has been painted.

oh dear... sounds like someone is in for a lot of work

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2006, 12:05:07 PM »

Alrightee, it is time to head out to work.  And in honor of my leaving, I do believe the rain has gotten worse.

MBarnum

« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2006, 12:09:03 PM »

Thankyou Vixmom and TPunk...my avatar photo was taken last July in the living room of actress Carolyn Kearney's apartment in Los Angeles on Holt St.....just blocks from the childhood home of Benjamin Kritzer and his alter ego.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: June 07, 2006, 12:44:34 PM »

Well, I actually got the news of today's meeting early and it's now official:

The Brain From Planet X will be opening in a full production in December!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: June 07, 2006, 12:51:27 PM »

Well, I ordered DECEIT!  I'm watching a fantastic French film KINGS AND QUEEN with Dylan.  More to follow.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

« Reply #134 on: June 07, 2006, 12:52:53 PM »

WASHINGTON - The Senate on Wednesday rejected a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage, dealing a defeat to President Bush and Republicans who hope to use the measure to energize conservative voters on Election Day.

Supporters knew they wouldn’t achieve the two-thirds vote needed to approve a constitutional amendment, but they had predicted a majority of votes. Instead, they fell one short, 49-48.

That was one vote more than they got last time the Senate voted on the matter, in 2004. Later that year, Republicans gained four seats in the Senate.

“We were hoping to get over 50 percent, but that didn’t happen today,” said Sen. David Vitter, R-La., one of the amendment’s supporters. “Eventually, Congress is going to have to catch up to the wisdom of the American people or the American people will change Congress for the better.”

“We’re not going to stop until marriage between a man and a woman is protected,” said Sen. Sam Brownback, R-Kan.
[/size]

WARNING: RANT ALERT!!

Am I missing something here? Does giving same sex couples the right to legally marry  also prohibit "mixed sex" couples from marrying?

I am not sure how allowing two people to legalize their loving relationship and commitment to one another  has ANY impact on my relationship with my husband

In fact, doesn't the fact that they want to marry in some way validate the commitment we have made?  

I can understand not requiring houses of worship from conducting ceremonies which are incompatible with their teachings, but why do we keep trying to impose religious views on a non-religous government?

Perhaps the Muslim- Americans and the Jewish-Americans should try and impose a nationwide ban on pork products.

I cannot understand why an adminstration with so little concern as to the state of the economy, global warming, social security, health care, pollution, hunger is so damn interested in what is going on in the beds of its citizens!!!!    

End of rant

Jane

« Reply #135 on: June 07, 2006, 12:55:15 PM »

Thankyou Vixmom and TPunk...my avatar photo was taken last July in the living room of actress Carolyn Kearney's apartment in Los Angeles on Holt St.....just blocks from the childhood home of Benjamin Kritzer and his alter ego.

No wonder you look so happy.

Jane

« Reply #136 on: June 07, 2006, 12:56:38 PM »

oh dear... sounds like someone is in for a lot of work

Just glad it isn't me!!! :D

vixmom

« Reply #137 on: June 07, 2006, 01:04:35 PM »

Well, I actually got the news of today's meeting early and it's now official:

The Brain From Planet X will be opening in a full production in December!

Excellent News!!

vixmom

« Reply #138 on: June 07, 2006, 01:06:15 PM »

Well, I ordered DECEIT!  I'm watching a fantastic French film KINGS AND QUEEN with Dylan.  More to follow.

Did you let him out of the doghouse or is he watching from the fire escape with the aid of binoculars?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #139 on: June 07, 2006, 01:12:09 PM »

[/size]

I cannot understand why an adminstration with so little concern as to the state of the economy, global warming, social security, health care, pollution, hunger is so damn interested in what is going on in the beds of its citizens!!!!    

End of rant

Oh, they don't care if we have sex together, as long as we don't try to get hitched.

I agree completely, vixmom.  I have never understood why the religious leaders who oppose gay marriage should have any influence on the laws of our government.  You can't wish someone a Merry Christmas in a government building; but your pastor, priest, or rabbi can forbid you from spending the rest of your life in a committed relationship (i.e.: marraige) that is sanctioned exclusively by the govenment and not by God.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #140 on: June 07, 2006, 01:12:32 PM »

re: the closerYes, remember, i'm the one who told you how great it was!

I thought it was DR Jane who sang the praises of THE CLOSER. Maybe it was both of you!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #141 on: June 07, 2006, 01:18:53 PM »

Speaking of EBay and auction wins....

...someone named MattH said yesterday he had won a couple of laserdiscs.

Might we know the titles of these Laserdiscs?

Hmmmmmmm?

I mentioned the titles last night, but it was buried within another post.

Anyway, they were ROSE MARIE (the Ann Blyth-Howard Keel-Fernando Lamas CInemascope version) and the Jane Powell double feature NANCY GOES TO RIO and LUXURY LINER (the latter I have never seen).

In THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT III, Howard Keel said that ROSE MARIE was the first Cinemascope musical, but I think he meant it was MGM's first Cinemascope musical. If my movie research is correct, Doris Day's LUCKY ME at Warner Bros. was actually the first musical filmed in Cinemascope.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #142 on: June 07, 2006, 01:22:13 PM »

Does that mean that Dylan is out of the doghouse?  :-*

Matt H.

« Reply #143 on: June 07, 2006, 01:24:04 PM »

I first finished GIVE A GIRL A BREAK this afternoon. It's a small MGM musical (a Jack Cummings production), but it has pleasant numbers which have a fair degree of imagination.

But imagine my surprise when Gower Champion starts singing a song late in the picture, and it's Bill Lee's voice (who sang for John Kerr in SOUTH PACIFIC and Christopher Plummer in THE SOUND OF MUSIC). It's odd because his own singing voice is featured in all of his other songs in the picture. I'd love to know the story behind that decision.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #144 on: June 07, 2006, 01:25:55 PM »

I didn't know that Bob Dylan was in KINGS AND QUEEN.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #145 on: June 07, 2006, 01:28:28 PM »

[/size]

Am I missing something here? Does giving same sex couples the right to legally marry  also prohibit "mixed sex" couples from marrying?

I am not sure how allowing two people to legalize their loving relationship and commitment to one another  has ANY impact on my relationship with my husband

In fact, doesn't the fact that they want to marry in some way validate the commitment we have made?  

I can understand not requiring houses of worship from conducting ceremonies which are incompatible with their teachings, but why do we keep trying to impose religious views on a non-religous government?

Perhaps the Muslim- Americans and the Jewish-Americans should try and impose a nationwide ban on pork products.

End of rant

Thanks Vixmom, I have been stewing on this for a few days.  Although I especially enjoyed Jon Stewart's and Stephen Colbert's coverage of this last night.  If the american government is truly concerned about protecting marriage, they would make divorce illegal, or make re-marriage illegal.  Only one time folks so make it count.  Or if they wanted to go broader and really wanted to address the issues that were really and truly impacting and tearing down the institution of marriage, they would address unemployment, wage inequality, the minimum wage, the shipping of jobs oversees, the education crisis, and any number of other issues that this marriage amendment is trying to cover up.  For crying out loud, how is attacking monogamous gay couples going to impact any of the real issues hurting marriage?

vixmom

« Reply #146 on: June 07, 2006, 01:29:54 PM »

Oh, they don't care if we have sex together, as long as we don't try to get hitched.

Wasn't there a case within the past 10 years ago, one of the southern states (I'm thinking one of the Carolinas) where a sherriff staked out a gay man's house and then burst in in the middle of the night arrested both adult men and successfully prosecuted them for breach of sodomy laws?

vixmom

« Reply #147 on: June 07, 2006, 01:32:26 PM »

Thanks Vixmom, I have been stewing on this for a few days.  Although I especially enjoyed Jon Stewart's and Stephen Colbert's coverage of this last night.  

Dang, I missed this.  Iwill have to catch the reruns on Comedy Central this evening

Matt H.

« Reply #148 on: June 07, 2006, 01:32:46 PM »

Then, I watched some of the special features on the BABY JANE DVD second disc.

There's an overview of the careers of both women; it's a fairly interesting (though surface) comparison of the careers and personal lives of the two ladies. (The Book BETTE AND JOAN: THE DIVINE FEUD by Shaun Considine is able to go into much more detail about them.)

Then there's a VERY valuable documentary and then interview that Joan conducted in ENgland around the time she filmed BERSERK. (In fact, her hairstyle in the picture is the one she's wearing in the interview, and the interviewer is British.) I had never seen this before, and I found it fascinating knowing what we know NOW about Joan Crawford.

Finally, there's the TCM documentary ALL ABOUT BETTE narrated by Jodie Foster which I had seen before but enjoyed seeing again. STARDUST (in the boxed set) is more complete but both are worthwhile overviews of her legendary career.

vixmom

« Reply #149 on: June 07, 2006, 01:33:45 PM »

Okay I am requesting VIBES for a successful outcome to a meeting this evening , for what I cannot say, oh no, I cannot say at this time.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up