Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: I SHAN'T RANT  (Read 41754 times)

Cillaliz

Re:I SHAN'T RANT
« Reply #180 on: September 25, 2008, 01:58:27 PM »

Finally!  Here's an eloquent statement about the bogus banned book list that circulated in the aftermath of Sarah Palin's nomination:

Our Burning Issue

I'd been waiting for something to appear in my professional reading.  This is by Sara Nelson, Editor-in-Chief of Publishers Weekly.

That was very well said. I think it's nice that she ended with the point that books matter.

Cillaliz

« Reply #181 on: September 25, 2008, 01:59:09 PM »

I don't want to work, I don't want tot work......

Tomorrow is Friday...Woo Hoo!!!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #182 on: September 25, 2008, 01:59:33 PM »

Yes, you kinda have to.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Cillaliz

« Reply #183 on: September 25, 2008, 02:00:27 PM »

Do you suppose that it's a coincidence that McCain is to Bush's far right and Obama is to his far left  ;D

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #184 on: September 25, 2008, 02:02:12 PM »

I used to bet on Sports once in a while.   I won $1000.00 on a superbowl and $535.00 on the NCAA tournament.   I've won $100 or $200 now and then.  I got most of it buying squares on the chart at bars, where if the score ends up on your numbers you win.  I actually picked the winners in the NCAA.  

I haven't watched sports in years...maybe I should start doing that again

Try going back to the bars :D

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ginny

« Reply #185 on: September 25, 2008, 02:02:54 PM »

I don't want to work, I don't want tot work......

Neither do I, DR Cillaliz!

Tomorrow is Friday...Woo Hoo!!!

My sentiments, exactly!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #186 on: September 25, 2008, 02:04:49 PM »

And I suspect the average viewer understood even less.
(Although I think the speech was about the best that could be done in explaining the current situation, in a brief time, to an economically unsophisticated audience.)

I’m lucky I have Keith to sort through this for me.  He finds the articles & interviews with intelligent, knowledgeable, people, for me to read & watch.  One of my favorites is the Bill Moyers interview with Kevin Phillips, author of BAD MONEY.

I believe this is well worth watching.  If you are at work, save it for later.

Cillaliz

« Reply #187 on: September 25, 2008, 02:05:04 PM »

Try going back to the bars :D

der Brucer

Nah, it's no fun to drink since I quit smoking cigarettes and you can't smoke in bars anymore anyway, so why go?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 02:10:05 PM by Cillaliz »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #188 on: September 25, 2008, 02:11:18 PM »

I've never been much of a gambler. Don't play the lottery, but I did play the nickel slots when I was in Las Vegas and one of them did pay off about $50 in nickels. As soon as it did, I stopped playing.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #189 on: September 25, 2008, 02:12:41 PM »

Heading down now to get back to viewing. I'll start with FRIDAY THE 13th and go from there.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #190 on: September 25, 2008, 02:14:13 PM »

That was very well said. I think it's nice that she ended with the point that books matter.

Well of course they matter. We need fuel to fire up the witch-burning stake :D

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #191 on: September 25, 2008, 02:16:05 PM »

This whole bailout thing is very, I don't know, weird.  Suddenly we have 700 BILLION dollars.  And who is it really helping, because at the end of the day I think we all know that it will mostly help those who don't need the help - those poor millionaires and billionaires who run Wall Street and play those games - for me, it's like giving 700 billion dollars to people who lose their shirts in Vegas.  It's all a crapshoot, and those doing the crapshooting know what game they're in.  So do the people who overpaid for housing knowing that if this sort of thing happened they'd be screwed, and the banks who allowed it to happen - it's what drove up the housing market to insane proportions and now they're paying the price.  Again, it's a crapshoot.  I didn't get a free ride when, because of the frivolous lawsuit I was put into sucked the financial life out of me and my mortgage payments were just too high to deal with because my house had cost a lot.  No, I had to sell, like thousands of other people.  I think history has taught us that this bailout will not benefit people who need it most, and somehow it will, as always, benefit the rich and entitled.  There are so many better things to do with 700 billion dollars - health care, the poor, things to help this country.  The dire economy can be laid squarely at the feet of the current administration and this is the legacy they'll leave whoever steps into office - 700 billion dollars.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #192 on: September 25, 2008, 02:17:59 PM »

In days of old, I was quite a regular poker player, both in private games, and occasionally in Vegas and Commerce.  I don't do it much anymore.  I've never been a slots player, even though I own a classic MAD magazine slot machine.  Craps just confuses me, but if I'm with Mr. David Wechter, I play behind him and just do what he does - I've won every time.  Roulette - never.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #193 on: September 25, 2008, 02:19:13 PM »

***excellent vibes and xylophones***[/size][/color]
for easy and non-annoying morning errands[/size][/color]
for bk[/size][/color]

DITTO!![/size][/color]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #194 on: September 25, 2008, 02:19:26 PM »

I still haven't heard anything about when I'll be seeing the final layout and text of the LACCTAA newsletter.  I'm sure it won't be until six this evening or even later.  I'll then have to proof it, give corrections, and then I'll want to see it one more time before it's printed to make sure that by fixing whatever needs fixing that it doesn't screw up something else.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #195 on: September 25, 2008, 02:19:32 PM »

CONGRATULATIONS to DR JoseSPiano on his lofty new perch in the HHW firmament!  :D

DITTO!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ginny

« Reply #196 on: September 25, 2008, 02:22:07 PM »

Time to head for home.  Richard's making one of his specialties for dinner - chicken pie!

Bye for now!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DERBRUCER

« Reply #197 on: September 25, 2008, 02:42:20 PM »

Nah, it's no fun to drink since I quit smoking cigarettes and you can't smoke in bars anymore anyway, so why go?

Well, there is that footbridge business ;)

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #198 on: September 25, 2008, 02:51:14 PM »

- chicken pie!

Peas and carrots and taters, Oh My!

der Brucer

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #199 on: September 25, 2008, 02:54:37 PM »

The last time I was in a bar ..... never mind.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #200 on: September 25, 2008, 02:56:19 PM »

The last time I was in a bar ..... never mind.

I'll bet it wasn't a sports bar.  They have TVs.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #201 on: September 25, 2008, 02:58:55 PM »

I'll bet it wasn't a sports bar.  They have TVs.

Tranny ho's?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #202 on: September 25, 2008, 03:02:20 PM »

Something I got in the e-mail today:

I'm a little confused. Let me see if I have this straight ...
If you grow up in Hawaii, raised by your grandparents, you're "exotic, different."

Grow up in Alaska hunting and eating moose burgers, you're a quintessential American story.

If your name is Barack you're a radical, unpatriotic Muslim.

Name your kids Willow, Trig and Track, you're a maverick.

Graduate from Harvard law School and you are unstable.

Attend 5 different small colleges before graduating, you're well grounded.

If you spend 3 years as a brilliant community organizer, become the first black President of the Harvard Law Review, create a voter registration drive that registers 150,000 new voters, spend 12 years as a Constitutional Law professor, spend 8 years as a State Senator representing a district with over 750,000 people, become chairman of the state Senate's Health and Human Services committee, spend 4 years in the United States Senate representing a state of 13 million people while sponsoring 131 bills and serving on the Foreign Affairs, Environment and Public Works and Veteran's Affairs committees, you don't have any real leadership experience.

If your total resume is: local weather girl, 4 years on the city council and 6 years as the mayor of a town with less than 7,000 people, 20 months as the governor of a state with only 650,000 people, then you're qualified to become the country's second highest ranking executive.

If you’ve been married to the same woman for nearly 20 years while raising 2 beautiful daughters, all within Protestant churches, you're not a real Christian.

If you cheated on your first wife with a rich heiress, and left your disfigured wife and married the heiress the next month, you're a Christian.

If you teach responsible, age appropriate sex education, including the proper use of birth control and how to recognize a sexual predator, you are eroding the fiber of society.

If, while governor, you staunchly advocate abstinence only, with no other option in sex education in your state's school system while your unwed teen daughter ends up pregnant, you're very responsible.

If your wife is a Harvard graduate lawyer who gave up a position in a prestigious law firm to work for the betterment of her inner city community, then gave that up to raise a family, your family's values don't represent America's.

If you're husband is nicknamed "First Dude", with at least one DWI conviction and no college education, who didn't register to vote until age 25 and once was a member of a group that advocated the secession of Alaska from the USA, your family is extremely admirable.

OK, it’s much clearer now, right?

Sure reads like a lot of the stuff that I've been hearing in the past few weeks!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 03:02:41 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #203 on: September 25, 2008, 03:04:02 PM »

Tranny ho's?

Uh....um.....televisions.

:P

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #204 on: September 25, 2008, 03:14:50 PM »

I can now officially RANT because for the second day in a row the power has gone off here for several hours.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

MBarnum

« Reply #205 on: September 25, 2008, 03:21:39 PM »

I don't know if any of the wonderful gals (and Singdaw) on this board are much interested in jewelry, but here is a link to my cousin Molly's website where she makes and sells her own jewelry. I saw some of it when we had the family reunion and she has some fantastic stuff! It is already being sold at a boutique in NYC (however, Molly's prices are very low...and I think she has free shipping).

Here are a couple of examples:

She calls this one FOR THE BIRDS

This is my favorite, GOLDEN BAMBOO

This one is called COPPERHEAD

And there is this one called SPRING FLING

And here is # 4 in here series of CHARMING

Please check out her website and see all the wonderful items she has to offer....in fact send the link to all your friends! And if you buy something, tell her Cousin Mike sent you!

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6210512

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #206 on: September 25, 2008, 03:32:13 PM »

Did Molly work for This is Your Life?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #207 on: September 25, 2008, 04:06:19 PM »

My Lord, I haven't stopped once today.  Been writing questions for Karen Morrow's Q&A on Saturday.  And I guess I'll be seeing the newsletter in the next couple of hours.  I'm probably going to eat at Louise's tonight.  Haven't been in ages and they have a salad I'm very fond of, although I'll have to eat something besides the salad.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #208 on: September 25, 2008, 04:17:36 PM »

Quote from: Ginny on Today at 07:30:00am
Our very own DR Elmore is mentioned in paragraph #4 of

This article from today's hometown newspaper

Whew!  I thought maybe it was an investigative report mentioning Elmo as a suspect in his sister-in-law's mysterious attack/illness/death!!!    8)

The only response to something like that would be an editorial full of huzzahs!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #209 on: September 25, 2008, 04:27:31 PM »

Yes CBS's CRIMINAL MINDS did go over last night on CBS (on the east coast). The president interupted. I did manage to see it (although it is being rebroadcast on saturday night). But it really annoyed me.

For one, i don't know why i had chosen to record it on CBS since it was on a canadian station at the same time. but two, i guess they don't realize that many people record shows and would miss the last 15 minutes if they delay the show. It was just a fluke that i caught it in time.

It was a good episode.

Jennifer, I doubt seriously that President Bush gave a rat's ass about people who were recording programs last night.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up