Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THEY CAN'T TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME  (Read 21124 times)

Tomovoz

Re:THEY CAN'T TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME
« Reply #180 on: December 26, 2003, 09:19:38 PM »

How blase I've become! Congratulations and welcome. Entry to HHW Heaven is for some "A Quiet Thing".
« Last Edit: December 26, 2003, 10:00:14 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #181 on: December 26, 2003, 09:25:15 PM »

Well I am going to sleep and listen to Roger Ebert's commentary for Casablanca to help me fall alseep,
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #182 on: December 26, 2003, 09:27:00 PM »

Yes, Lisa Hartman was Neely, and she was terrible, but so was everyone. Even though the 1967 movie also changed it from a period drama covering many years to a more modern piece, it still had lots of old fashioned notions (like longterm studio contracts for films stars, etc.). The 1981 miniseries did away with all of that. It was totally modern (and thoroughly awful.)

I say this because I must have read the original book 20 times. Terrible writing, but a good read.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

td

• td
« Reply #183 on: December 26, 2003, 09:27:29 PM »

Thanks Michael. Now I think I've got it. The Desi reference explains the Ball reference. I had read neither before - hence my confusion. We adopted children have an interests in such lives. (the "We" refers to another Kimlet and myself of course).

Did somebody call me? ? ?

Sorry, i was busy watching the DVD of the British QAF.

Well, I'm here now. . .what's to discuss? ? ?

Oh! a new deity!  
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! !WELCOME TO THE CLUB! ! ![/move]
« Last Edit: December 26, 2003, 10:22:09 PM by td »
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Tomovoz

« Reply #184 on: December 26, 2003, 09:29:23 PM »

DR Ann: Shouldn't you be on a surf board or up a palm tree?  Did you notice that the State flag of Hawaii still has a Union Jack?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #185 on: December 26, 2003, 09:30:36 PM »

Did I miss a post from A Quiet Thing?  I hate that.  I'll have to go back and look now.

I do believe we iz havin' a postin' frenzy here.  I love that.

td

• td
« Reply #186 on: December 26, 2003, 09:32:27 PM »

It seems that the Washingtonians and I having been meeting up around this time quite a bit. . .don't it?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #187 on: December 26, 2003, 09:35:28 PM »

Maybe I misread Tom's post.  It made it seem like we have a new person here - but I don't see any posts from said new person.  So, maybe I misread Tom's post.  Or, maybe I misread Tom's post - that's always a possibility, too.  I do think we're going over two hundred tonight - I feel certain.  I started watching Mr. Mario Bava's marvelously weird Blood and Black Lace on a new German DVD that's enhanced for widescreen (unlike the US release) and whose transfer is amazingly colorful.  But, I'm just not in a movie mood tonight, don't know why really.

Tomovoz

« Reply #188 on: December 26, 2003, 09:40:06 PM »

Just a quiet entry to the world above by a new GOD BK.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #189 on: December 26, 2003, 09:41:30 PM »

Ah, now I see.  Like a god with his head above the clouds you're a Hainsie/Kimlet god!

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #190 on: December 26, 2003, 09:41:51 PM »

Good evening DRs, and esteemed and sultry BK --

Kerry and I went to a real movie theatre tonight, and saw "Somethings Gotta Give."  I really enjoyed it, and Diane Keaton gave a marvelous performance (which I expected).  The surprise for me, was that Jack Nicholson didn't just rely on over-mugging, but actually created a believable, flawed character with more than one dimension.  Also, it provided many good "right out loud" laughs for me.  It was a very enjoyable outing, and then we came home and watched the Kennedy Center honors, 4/5ths of which I enjoyed immensely.  Seeing Itzak Perlman's kids on stage made me all verklempt.

Sugar sends a big "welcome back home" to Roller !!

Time to toddle off now.  Sleep good, and don't forget to turn off the light BK.   8)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #191 on: December 26, 2003, 09:43:15 PM »

There are twenty-two people perusing this board!  Eleven of them are guests.  Come on in, guests, the water's fine.  We'd love you to make a post or three, oh, yes, we'd love you to make a post or three.  But, if you are not so disposed, then read away.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #192 on: December 26, 2003, 09:45:03 PM »

Good evening!

WOW!  I go away for a few hours, and come back to a loverly number of posts!

My trip to the mall was.. OK.  Just OK.  Most of the stores I went into - and I didn't go into many - were cleaned out already.  Some even looked like they had re-arranged their displays to "hide" the low stock.  And anything that was bargain priced, seemed to be bargain priced for a reason - ugly, non-functional, still-overpriced, or all of the above.  However...

I had seen an ad for Nordstrom's in the morning paper, and a pair of shoes they were advertising caught my eye.  I had never really shopped at Nordstrom's just walked through it, but I decided to give it a try.  What a pleasantly surprising experience.  As soon as I walked into the shoe department, at least three or four clerks offered their assistance.  Once I found a pair of shoes I was interested in - which were the ones I saw advertised - "Anna" came over, and offered to pull a pair in my size from the back room.  She came back with my size and one and half-size bigger - "just in case".  Well, the "just in case" ones were just a hair too big, but the other pair was just right - and sooooo comfy.  Anna put them at the counter for me, and brought me back a claim ticket so that I could just present it at the cash register when I was ready to check out.  I started looking at the other shoes - nice selection even on the sale racks - and there were some good deals too!  Most of the shoes on the non-sale racks were out of my price-range - well, any shoe over $100.00 is out of my price range - it just seems weird to have something on my body that costs the same as a minor car repair.  However, there were some other shoes on special, and I'll most likely go back in a few days and try a few more pairs on when I have more time to browse.  So, after heading to the cash register, presenting my slip, and finishing the sale, I walked away with a new pair of "winter mocs".  I'm sure I'll be putting them to good use.

I also made a stop into Sur La Table and Williams-Sonoma.  The only things on sale in both stores were seasonal items.  I'm not a big fan of serving dishes that only come out once a year, so I passed them on by.  *But there was this one $60.00 (sale price) porcelain pie whistle at Sur La Table I almost bought...not!

Then came Macy's...  They too were pretty cleaned out - at least in the home department - and their Christmas stuff seemed pretty picked over too by that time.  I came across a crockpot that was on clearance for $13.00 - originally $35.00 - so I held onto that.  Then I found a neat blue metallic frame that was also on clearance, and added that to my take.  Then came a truly sobering moment...

Now I know I have put back on some of the weight that I lost over the past year, and I know I've been allowing myself some spluging diet-wise the past few weeks, but...  I came across of display of bathroom scales that were on sale... I stepped on one... WHOA!  I stepped on another model just to make sure it was the scale and not me... WHOA!  It was me, not the scale...Ugh!  It's not bad, but bad enough to make me buy a new body-fat monitoring scale... and to make me get back on the wagon pronto!  I'm getting a head start on my New Year's resolution.

But I did get some good deals on the crockpot, picture frame and scale.  And even though my "extra discount" coupon applied to only one of the items - the frame - I didn't even break $50.00.  Not bad.

I was going to check out the Men's Clothing department, but after the Scale Incident, I just wasn't in the mood to look for clothes.. Besides, it was getting late, and I had to head to the theatre...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2003, 09:49:44 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #193 on: December 26, 2003, 09:49:29 PM »

Isn't it funny?  The minute I mention that there are eleven count them eleven guests, three of the depart, as if my very mentioning their presence was a threat to their national security.  As if they suddenly went on Orange Alert.  I suppose it can just be fun to see what's going on here, but it's ever so much MORE fun to join our merry troupe.  Of course, some of those guests might just be, well, they might just be UIs.  That would be my guess.  If so, I wish them all a merry Christmas.

Tomovoz

« Reply #194 on: December 26, 2003, 09:49:33 PM »

For td.
Young Mr Jackman.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #195 on: December 26, 2003, 09:55:59 PM »

Man, they drop like flies so quickly - people come, people go, like Grand Hotel.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #196 on: December 26, 2003, 10:02:10 PM »

WOW!  There does seem to be quite the posting frenzy going on right now!

...We had a good show tonight.  And some of the actors seemed to be trying out some new line readings tonight - nothing drastic, just different... and fun.

Before the show, the greenroom tables started filling up with various and sundried Christmas goodies: cookies of all sorts, chocolates, fudge, caramel corn, chocolate covered espresso beans...  Hmm.. maybe that's why the show seemed a bit peppier tonight?!?!?  ;)

We did have one "laugh out loud in the pit moment".  During the last sequence in "Take Me To The Fair", our Guenevere jumped the last set of rhyming "challenges".

"You'll open wide him?"
-"I'll subdivide him!"

..."You'll open wide him?"
....-"I'll subdivide him."

Oops!  She had jumped the "You disconnect him?" "I'll vivisect him." lines... and couldn't think fast enough to backtrack...  The conductor just got this really big grin on his face, while a bunch of us under the stage just started laughing out loud with questioning looks on our faces.  -You may have had to be there.

The gremlin in my keyboard also made another appearance tonight.  When I played one of the exposed bell cues, the decay did this "wobble" thing and settled down a half-step lower.  ??? Even some of the players heard it and wondered, "What the ???"  A few nights ago, the note sounded a half-step lower, but the decay came up to the right pitch.  Who knows?  At least it keeps it interesting.

And the final tally for our fundraising drive was $22,000.75!!!  Half will go to BC/EFA and half will go to Food & Friends.  Many thanks to all who gave money to the cause.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #197 on: December 26, 2003, 10:05:34 PM »

DR Jason - Will you be working Benvenuto Cellini tomorrow?  ;)

-Continue to enjoy your time at home!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #198 on: December 26, 2003, 10:06:23 PM »

DR Panni - Any DVD player update?
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #199 on: December 26, 2003, 10:08:57 PM »

Yes, Panni, don't keep us in suspense.

td

• td
« Reply #200 on: December 26, 2003, 10:09:48 PM »

Wow! Tomovoz!  You could say he's got biceps to spare, couldn't you?
But, is every last inch of him covered with hair? ? ?

Young Hugh, Old Hugh. . .and just think of the anagrams one could make of that! ! !

Tomovoz

« Reply #201 on: December 26, 2003, 10:10:02 PM »

td. I much prefer the original QAF. The USA version is fun but the UK characters had more depth. I loved the honesty in the portrayal of the youngest character - too young for an American audience to accept I gather.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #202 on: December 26, 2003, 10:13:16 PM »

td: He was a wonderful Gaston and then went on to play Joe in "Sunset". I have never seen bad press about the man. He played a prisoner in a TV series here and was a hearththrob for people on both sides of the fence before he took so naturally to the musical stage.
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #203 on: December 26, 2003, 10:13:23 PM »

td. I much prefer the original QAF. The USA version is fun but the UK characters had more depth. I loved the honesty in the portrayal of the youngest character - too young for an American audience to accept I gather.

I agree with you entirely.
Another dear reader had sent me the videotapes of QAF:Brit, and only recently did I upgrade those to dvd.  As far as QAF:American goes. . .well, I wrote about it somewhere in the distant past:
http://www.dvdlaunch.com/queerasfolkseason1.html

td

• td
« Reply #204 on: December 26, 2003, 10:14:05 PM »

Did Hugh do his stint as Joe opposite Deborah Byrne? ? ? ?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #205 on: December 26, 2003, 10:15:10 PM »

YEAH!  Over 200 posts!  Happy, BK?  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #206 on: December 26, 2003, 10:16:08 PM »

Indeed Hugh and Deborah together. Brilliant performances.
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #207 on: December 26, 2003, 10:20:03 PM »

Indeed Hugh and Deborah together. Brilliant performances.

I may not be a god yet, but, my Show Queenliness is showing.   :o

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #208 on: December 26, 2003, 10:24:27 PM »

I don't remember who was posting earlier about having pancakes, but der Brucer must have picked up on the vibes, because when I asked him what he wanted for dinner, he said "Pancakes!"

We ended up going to the grocery store, because he also wanted sausage with his pancakes, and all we had on hand was bacon and some very tired looking scrapple.  Finishing off the meal were some Stouffers Harvest Apples.

I also picked up some fresh snow peas and bean sprouts, because I want to do something asian-ish tomorrow to go with the roast pork I've got planned.

Speaking of roasting, has anyone out there tried using a digital probe thermometer yet?  I've got one, made by Polder, and it's great.  It consists of a battery-powered computer unit, and a probe with a long wire attached.  The probe goes into the meat, the wire is flexible so you can shut the oven door on it, and the other end plugs into the computer part.  You can either use it as a timer, or program it to let you know when what you're cooking reaches the temperature you want.  Even better, you can punch in the type of meat you're cooking (beef, ground beef, veal, lamb, pork, chicken, turkey) and what done-ness you want, and it will beep you when the meat has finished cooking!  Nifty gadget.

(But it's not the best tool when cooking pancakes.   :-\)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #209 on: December 26, 2003, 10:27:34 PM »

I am going to leave that digital probe thermometer comment alone. I think I am on a South Park site. No-way is this a ShowQueens site. Oh my goodness! I keep telling people I don't own a Judy Garland Cd.
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up