Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SCARY NOTES  (Read 12682 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SCARY NOTES
« on: May 02, 2010, 12:02:50 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were scary, and now it is time for you to post until the scary cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: SCARY NOTES
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 12:03:23 AM »

And the word of the day is: OMNIFIC!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 12:05:48 AM »

Happy Birthday DR FJL.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 12:06:13 AM »

As promised, the new Kritzerland title.  It's BIG.  You know the drill - if you'd like to pre-pre order it it's 19.98 plus 3.75 shipping directly to paypal using our paypal address of kritzerland at adelphia dot net.

IT MUST EAT YOU TO LIVE!

Kritzerland is proud to present a world premiere limited edition CD release:

EARTH VS. THE SPIDER
Music Composed and Conducted by Albert Glasser

Yes, we’re back with the soundtrack to another classic Mr. BIG film, Bert I. Gordon’s 1958 shocker, Earth vs. the Spider. Nobody did it quite like Mr. BIG, especially in his early films.  It was a different world back then – a young man with a dream could come to Hollywood and get lucky.  He could be in the right place at the right time and suddenly and instantly fulfill his dream of becoming a filmmaker.  That’s the way it was with Mr. BIG.  He made a string of classic horror B-movies – The Cyclops, Beginning of the End, The Amazing Colossal Man (and its sequel, War Of The Colossal Beast), Attack Of The Puppet People, then, later, Food Of The Gods and Empire Of The Ants.   His films, especially his early ones, have an innocence and joy about them that is really fun and Earth vs. the Spider is prime Mr. BIG.

Right from the beginning, Mr. BIG found a composer for his films whose music was just as deliriously wonderful as Mr. BIG’s films.  Albert Glasser was one of the most prolific B-movie composers in history.  He scored hundreds of movies and TV shows.  He joined Mr. BIG on his second film, Beginning Of The End, and did every BIG picture up through The Boy and the Pirates.  His score for Earth vs. the Spider is Glasser at his best.  It’s just a perfect genre score, beginning with his grand main title, complete with its wailing theremin.  His music pulses through most of the film, propelling it from one scene to the next with suspense music, chase music, mutant spider music – it’s classic B-movie horror music, the kind that anyone who grew up in the 1950s will instantly recognize.

It’s so pleasing to finally bring some Albert Glasser to CD, and also pleasing to continue our trip down memory lane with the films of Mr. BIG – Bert I. Gordon.  Gordon and Glasser – it was a match made in B-movie heaven.

This CD is mastered from Mr. Glasser’s own 1/4” tape – it’s the complete score as he wrote it – in the film the score is edited and moved around and has repeated cues – we present every note of music he wrote for the film, in mono sound, as recorded. 

This release is limited to 1000 copies only.  The price is $19.98 plus shipping.

CD will ship by the third week of – however, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 12:07:45 AM »

I am watching our High School Age production of HMS PINAFORE from 1985....sad to see some of those no longer with us.....and the theatre itself has changed so much.....

Still one of my favorite shows....the kids were great....we used grade school through high school age performers....

I guess it's my favorite G/S score.....but since it's really the only one I have ever worked on, I guess I need more experience before I proclaim it a favorite.

First post after MR BK ....  Huzzah!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 12:10:32 AM »

ORDERED....

Earth Vee Ess The Spider!!!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 12:23:31 AM »

Anyone who loves classic B-movie 1950s horror movie music will love this score.

The Vixter

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 04:35:12 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU[/color]
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU[/color]
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR FRED[/color]
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!![/size][/color]
Me: Hi, my names Vicky, and I think I might have become a textaholic.
All my friends: Hi Vicky. *Applause*

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 05:27:31 AM »

Last night, DR Vixmom asked:

"I wondered about that but thought perhaps you have to do research on the tecnical aspects of the transfer before reviewing it - I have another question - do you find it difficult to fairly review a movies when the subject matter is not appealing to you personally?"

That is the biggest challenge of reviewing anything. No subject matter is going to appeal to everyone, and one must swallow a lot of swill to sometimes get the tasty treats. But I like to THINK that I'm as fair as the next guy.

Nothing makes me madder than to read a review that starts off "I really hate musicals" (I find that a lot in reviewing nowadays) or "Westerns just aren't my thing." I immediately discount anything the person says, even if it ends up being positive because the writer is deigning to come to the film rather than honestly going in with open, objective expectations.

These Oshima films I'm working with right now. It's a struggle to start each one with enthusiasm since each has been worse than the one before, but I can say with surety that I begin each one really pulling for the director to surprise and delight me. I have one left, and hopefully, they've saved the best for last.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Michael

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 05:30:57 AM »

A very happy birthday to one of HHW dearest of people FJL!!!
Never stop dreaming.

Jennifer

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 05:48:48 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR FJL.  Hope you have a great day!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 05:49:32 AM »

Good morning, all! I have a day at Toyland so I will be out of here in the next 15 minutes or so. I hope to be finished up by 2 pm or so, and I'll wander back here to continue identifying McGlinn CDs. I may see a movie tonight with Chris, if we can agree on one.

The news about the bomb scare is really alarming. The only good things is that the perpetrators of yesterday's event were so inept it was discovered in time. I can only hope that all further terrorist activities, and I fear there will be, are performed by people of the same ineptitude.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 05:51:13 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 05:50:24 AM »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy Birthday, DR FJL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 06:09:45 AM »

Happy Birthday FJL!
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 06:18:27 AM »

Last night, DR Vixmom asked:

"I wondered about that but thought perhaps you have to do research on the tecnical aspects of the transfer before reviewing it - I have another question - do you find it difficult to fairly review a movies when the subject matter is not appealing to you personally?"

That is the biggest challenge of reviewing anything. No subject matter is going to appeal to everyone, and one must swallow a lot of swill to sometimes get the tasty treats. But I like to THINK that I'm as fair as the next guy.

Nothing makes me madder than to read a review that starts off "I really hate musicals" (I find that a lot in reviewing nowadays) or "Westerns just aren't my thing." I immediately discount anything the person says, even if it ends up being positive because the writer is deigning to come to the film rather than honestly going in with open, objective expectations.

These Oshima films I'm working with right now. It's a struggle to start each one with enthusiasm since each has been worse than the one before, but I can say with surety that I begin each one really pulling for the director to surprise and delight me. I have one left, and hopefully, they've saved the best for last.

This is an interesting topic for discussion.  I'd be interested to hear what others have to say.

Question: Are there any genres of movies that you dislike so much that you try to avoid them?

For me, it's movies dealing with any sort of substance abuse (e.g. LEAVING LAS VEGAS, THE LOST WEEKEND) or when a pet animal dies (e.g. OLD YELLER, MARLEY & ME, THE YEARLING).

Can't watch 'em.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 06:20:08 AM »

Sunday...............at Indianapolis Raceway Park....................Sunday Sunday SUNDAY!!!!!!

They used to advertise drag racing on the radio like that.....I still remember the commercials - they were quite annoying but very effective.

Laura

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 06:23:42 AM »

Happy Birthday FJL! I hope you have cake and ice cream. And don't forget to make popcorn.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2010, 06:25:26 AM »

DR DRUXY it's usually performers I avoid rather than subjects.....

Mr Dustin Hoffman - although I have learned here at HHW that he is a nice man in person.

Ms Debra Messing - DR TCB's personal goddess.

And a few others.

I can watch any interesting film on any subject - I also dislike a lot of CGI in any film, it looks too much a video game - the kind that robs my nephews of HOURS of their lives....DAYS even.

I may see AVATAR some day - when I can buy it for $5.  I am sure it is enjoyable, but being hit over the head with its marketing campaign is making me resist it....it seems calculated from the beginning to be not so much a movie as a way to shake money out of the pockets of people.  And they are not happy with selling someone ONE ticket to it....but they want the REPEAT audience.....onscreen and on home video with NEW EXTENDED NEVER BEFORE SEEN DVD's already being planned.

I think I ended up with four versions of TITANIC by James Cameron.  ::)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2010, 06:29:28 AM »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2010, 06:30:08 AM »

Congratulations to DR VIXTER on her Jr Member status.

I enjoyed the YouTube video....but it's a different kind of screen and I couldn't find a volume control, so I couldn't hear anything.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 06:31:24 AM »

One of the reasons for skin trouble from the article above:

3. Oxidation due to the activities of free radicals

I KNEW IT.....I just knew it.....we can blame Hillary.

td

• td
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 06:38:44 AM »

HAPPY NATAL DAY DR FJL!   

(I think you should come to Pittsburgh to celebrate).
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 06:45:58 AM »

Question: Are there any genres of movies that you dislike so much that you try to avoid them?

I don't necessarily avoid them, but, I very rarely dip into war movies - I'm talking about the myriad of films about battles, theaters of war, personality war pix et al.
That said, occasionally, something will come along and take me by surprise: I do like THE LONGEST DAY, SAVING PRIVATE RYAN and PATTON.
I've seen PLATOON once.
I've never seen THE GREEN BERETS or SANDS OF IWO JIMA or FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS.
I've seen bits and pieces of BAND OF BROTHERS, which I probably will go back to when I have the time to devote to it episode by episode.

And yet, if I'm going to read historical non-fiction, I always check out the World War II books ( I have read SANDS OF IWO JIMA and FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS).

So, in return, I'll pose a question:  Are there any war movies I should be checking out?

Ben

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 06:50:20 AM »

Happy Fred Day.

I'm sure Toby and Dylan will celebrate as well.

td

• td
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 06:50:51 AM »

As for avoiding personalities, I make it a point to avoid anything featuring the Americanized Mel Gibson.
I find that GALIPOLI and the first ROAD WARRIOR movies are fine experiences.
I believe it is common knowledge on this site that Nicole Kidman basically makes my skin crawl and other than AUSTRALIA, I can't think of a film of hers I would want to see.
Angelina Jolie.
Julia Roberts.
Russell Crowe.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2010, 06:52:18 AM »

THE LONGEST DAY and PATTON are 2 of my favorites, and I really like LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA.

BAT-21, CASUALTIES OF WAR and THE ENEMY BELOW are also very good.

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2010, 06:53:19 AM »

DR td,

Criterion is coming out with THE THIN RED LINE on Blu-ray later this year. Keep an eye out for it. It was up for best picture the same year that SAVING PRIVATE RYAN was. Neither won, of course, but both are involving enough to recommend.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2010, 06:54:25 AM »

As for avoiding personalities, I make it a point to avoid anything featuring the Americanized Mel Gibson.
I find that GALIPOLI and the first ROAD WARRIOR movies are fine experiences.
I believe it is common knowledge on this site that Nicole Kidman basically makes my skin crawl and other than AUSTRALIA, I can't think of a film of hers I would want to see.
Angelina Jolie.
Julia Roberts.
Russell Crowe.

I have to really want to see the movie itself if it has Russell Crowe, Mel Gibson or Nicholas Cage in the cast.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2010, 06:55:14 AM »

Maybe we can recommend movies on any subject, that fellow HHW'ers might have missed for one reason or another.

THREE WISHES with Patrick Swayze......

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2010, 06:55:36 AM »

Good morning!

Even warmer this morning, and my walk was not all that pleasant because of it. I'm wondering how I'm going to deal with the heat and humidity of Southern summers in terms of my walking. I may have to take to the treadmill more this summer as I don't like feeling drained at the end of a walk. I like the feeling of exhilaration but not sweaty exhaustion.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up