Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: YOU KNOW THE MANTRA  (Read 29081 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:YOU KNOW THE MANTRA
« Reply #150 on: August 19, 2005, 03:27:22 PM »

Good Evening!

Back from the final full company meeting.   Michael Coglin, the Company Manager, opened up with some witty remarks and Thank You's, then Roger Rees did the same thing.  It was a very nice send-off.  However, before wrapping things up, they presented some awards to some of the Outstanding Apprenti who have been here this summer.  And they also started/instituted a new award this year which will be distributed to five people every season for "special" reasons.  The award is called "The Willy"... And it's shaped like one too.  -Sorry, DR vixmom.

-This was one award I was happy not to receive - Who knows how I'd have to explain that thing to security?!?!?

In all fairness, however, the award simply looked like one of those travel toothbrush holders mounted on a small pedestal, then painted gold...  Well... I guess what else would a Willy look like?

;D
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 03:30:08 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #151 on: August 19, 2005, 03:29:35 PM »

And, traffic permitting, it looks like a fellow HHWer or two may be coming up for the 11:00 show tonight!

:)

And I also found out that we're technically Sold Out for tomorrow.  Which will undoubtedly cause some problems for some of the cast members who were just planning on putting "Reserved" signs on the chairs in Goodrich for their family members.  We shall see...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #152 on: August 19, 2005, 03:30:43 PM »

DR Pulliam of Ron,

Could we, please, have other pics of Miss Vickee, just for the remembrance? (Oh, a Rosie reference!)

Thanks for your kind interest, Dear François.  But alas, I have not scanned any other photos of Vickie.  I'll pick out a few this weekend, scan them, and send some your way.

re:  Betty Garrett -- there are tons of outtakes from the pre-recordings for MGM's "Words and Music."  Garrett played the thankless role of the fictional girl who broke Larry Hart's heart and spirit (a neat trick THAT would have been for any female, his mother excluded [perhaps], since he was by all accounts a repressed gay man).  Among them (and they are on an alternate track on the laser disc of the film that is part of the MGM boxed set called the "MGM Composer Series" (along with "Till the Clouds Roll By" and  "Deep in My Heart") is an extraordinary rendition of "My Funny Valentine" by Ms. Garrett that I love more than any other I've heard.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 03:31:47 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #153 on: August 19, 2005, 03:31:12 PM »

OH!

And on the way back from the meeting, I took a detour over to Spring Street where I stopped in at Lickety Split.  Today's selection:

Cake Batter with Fudge Swirl in a WAFFLE Cone!

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #154 on: August 19, 2005, 03:33:21 PM »

I am now awaiting an appliance repairman to arrive at my humble cottage. It seems that my washing machine decided not to release the dirty water through the hose and into the wall as normal, but instead spill it's load all over the floor.

Man!  Am I glad you weren't speaking in euphemisms [wink! wink!].

(You are WELCOME, DR TCB!)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #155 on: August 19, 2005, 03:33:28 PM »

Media check:

CD: TOP 12 CABARET SONGS FROM (BOLLYWOOD) FILMS.

DVD: THREE BROADWAY GIRLS (1932) Starring Joan Blondell and David Manners

VHS: an episode of PERRY MASON guest starring a potential future interviewee.

FJL

« Reply #156 on: August 19, 2005, 03:34:07 PM »

Interestingly, the New York Times has given THE 40 YEAR OLD VIRGIN the full rollout of a major film.  Not only is it a great review (the critic calls the movie a "charmingly bent comedy" and gives the movie a very thoughtful analysis), but it's given pretty close to the best placement a film review could ask for, above the fold in the Friday Weekend section.

I never would have guessed it from the ads.  Wonder if this is a case where a studio has a better film that they knew they had.

François de Paris

« Reply #157 on: August 19, 2005, 03:35:06 PM »

Thanks for your kind interest, Dear François.  But alas, I have not scanned any other photos of Vickie.  I'll pick out a few this weekend, scan them, and send some your way.

Thank you kindly! :-*

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #158 on: August 19, 2005, 03:35:36 PM »

Many great films have been almost ambushed (and in some cases ABSOLUTELY ruined) by clueless advertising campaigns.

François de Paris

« Reply #159 on: August 19, 2005, 03:42:57 PM »

BK,

Could you let Mr Haines (Guy for the ladies!) know that his new cd is very much enjoyed and appreciated this side of the ocean and that, for me, the two tracks that stand out are:

MILLIONS OF MEN: oh, the mellow voice and perfect phrasing and Mr Schmidt's music and...

COWBOY WALTZ: I don't care for... cowboys, really, but do I care for that song!

Also, tell Mr Haines that, next time, he should do a duet with Mr Manilow... or with himself... which might be the same, come to think of it!! ;-)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 05:37:30 PM by François de Paris »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #160 on: August 19, 2005, 03:44:02 PM »

And in a few hours, I should be seeing this:
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #161 on: August 19, 2005, 03:44:47 PM »

And now in close up:
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #162 on: August 19, 2005, 03:45:29 PM »

Well, time for me to preen and primp, I don't want to miss the bus... the curtain, etc.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #163 on: August 19, 2005, 03:49:49 PM »

I don't expect to have much time for movie watching this weekend, so only one Bollywood movie of the week..

AVALUKUENDRU ORU MANAM (1965)

This one is a bit different in that it is in the Tamil language rather then in Hindi. All of my Bollywood movies up to this point have been in Hindi. You can also find Bollywood films in Mayalam, Telugu, and a few other regional languages.

The Tamil films have a totally different set of film stars, of which I am not familiar with yet. I have listened to a few soundtracks of Tamil films and I almost prefer the music from Tamil and Telugu films as compared to the Hindi ones...unfortunately Tamil and Telugu films and CDs are not as easy to come by and are much more expensive.

Despite the B&W DVD cover, this movie is in color.

Jason

« Reply #164 on: August 19, 2005, 03:50:44 PM »

I just got the first season of the Muppets. Memories...light the corners of my mind... I love this show!

François de Paris

« Reply #165 on: August 19, 2005, 03:51:59 PM »

I don't know about you but I'm eagerly waiting for DR Tomovoz's review of the Melbourne concert version of SUNSET BOULEVARD with hunky David Campbell and hunky (?!) Judi Conelli -- or should it be "chunky"? (Sorry, Judi! My bad!!)...

Hoping OzDerek is doing ok!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 03:53:05 PM by François de Paris »

François de Paris

« Reply #166 on: August 19, 2005, 03:54:55 PM »

And now, Judi Conelli, but NOT at the piano!

http://www.lunaparksydney.com/images/big_top_04.jpg

Jennifer

« Reply #167 on: August 19, 2005, 04:01:00 PM »

For those Big Brother fans, Kaysar was on today's Housecalls show.  And it was so good.  They even had some celebs call in.

The funniest part was when marcellas and gretchen commented on how surprised the Frienship would be when they realized how unpopular they are. :)

They archive this on cbs.com (click on big brother).

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #168 on: August 19, 2005, 04:12:44 PM »

I wish I could say it was pouring rain here, but it's sunny, hot, and miserable. 91 right now. Ugh!

It's just after 4 p.m., PST, and it's managed to reach Fahrenheit 61 degrees here today.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

td

• td
« Reply #169 on: August 19, 2005, 04:18:32 PM »

I took a good, long look at THE NAME OF THE ROSE last night. Fine dvd presentation from Warner. Overall, the film doesn't quite gel, it comes damned close, though. Sean Connery adds another multi-layered performance to his resume, as the Sherlockian William of Baskerville, a Franciscan monk investigating a series of deaths in a remote abbey in 13th or 14th Century Italy. I believe the number of deaths is taken down from the number of deaths in Umberto Eco's novel (it's been a while since I read the book). Fine support from Fellini-esque faces, including William Hickey and Ron Perlman. Christian Slater is very young, wow, is he young! Slater hadn't garnered the Nicholson urge which he would rely on in later performances. F. Murray Abraham has virtually a walk-on as a villainous Grand Inquisitor, but, differences with director Jean-Jacques Annaud might have had something to do with that. It took four writers to adapt Eco's novel into a straightforward film.

Today, I picked up used copies of SIN CITY, BEYOND THE SEA and the first two Austin Powers' movies.
Took a quick peek at SIN CITY, and I must say it looks very interesting. . .
Also ready to be fired up in the dvd player are:
Dario Argento's PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
SHANE MACGOWAN AND THE POPES LIVE AT MONTREAUX
and so the DR elmoore doesn't feel totally alone, the dvd player also holds Kristen Bjorn's CARNIVAL IN RIO.  :-X

CD PLAYER holds:
Shane MacGowan Duets with Nick Cave and Sinead O'Connor
ALEXANDER by Vangelis
RUM, SODOMY & THE LASH by THE POGUES.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #170 on: August 19, 2005, 04:19:37 PM »

I don't know about you but I'm eagerly waiting for DR Tomovoz's review of the Melbourne concert version of SUNSET BOULEVARD with hunky David Campbell and hunky (?!) Judi Conelli -- or should it be "chunky"? (Sorry, Judi! My bad!!)...

Hoping OzDerek is doing ok!

I'm waiting too.
I'm also sending OzDerek most excellent health vibes.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

MBarnum

« Reply #171 on: August 19, 2005, 04:34:37 PM »

Repair man is gone.

New pump has been ordered.

Machine will be fixed on Wednesday (or so).

$200 will be deleted from my savings account.

Jennifer

« Reply #172 on: August 19, 2005, 04:34:51 PM »

Wow, for Big Brother live feed fans there will be fish tanks until sat at 9pm.

Boy does that suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

MBarnum

« Reply #173 on: August 19, 2005, 04:35:47 PM »

Moral of the story is...don't wash those soft, thick chenille bathroom rugs in the washing machine...they really gum up the works.

Danise

« Reply #174 on: August 19, 2005, 04:38:17 PM »

Hello one and all!  Yes, I have been E&T this past week.  It seems a lot longer.  I can totally understand DR Elmore and Vixmom’s feelings.

To all those I missed having Birthdays and were in need of vibes, I do apologize.  I sincerely hope that you had a very happy day and that all problems are on their way to being resolved.  

A special “I’m sorry” to DR Ron Pulliam that I didn’t get to give you my condolences about Miss Vicky.  There are no words to take the pain away from losing a beloved pet, I’ll only say that someday you WILL see her again.

Let me tell you all some of my good news.

I am now the proud owner of Tivo!  I already LOVE it and don’t know how I lived without it.  Best Buy had a sale for the receiver.  It was a hundred dollars WITH a hundred dollar rebate! You can’t beat that price!  

I have it set to get a season pass of “Battlestar: Galactica” (I don’t like that show but I can’t stop wanting to know what’s happening), “The 4400” and “Lost”.  I’m excited about getting to see “Lost” again.  I really like that show and was crushed when it was moved to the ten o’clock slot.  

I feel like I will finely be able to see the shows that everyone is talking about but I can’t stay awake for!

DR Jennifer, Thank you for telling me about Michael Ball and WIW.  I very much doubt I will be able to see him or the show unless he and it runs through next year.  

I received the sweetest card today from DR OzDerick.  I’m truly touched that he would take the time to write me.  I  wish him all the best and want him to save his strength to get well soon.   :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #175 on: August 19, 2005, 04:41:26 PM »

I am now awaiting an appliance repairman to arrive at my humble cottage. It seems that my washing machine decided not to release the dirty water through the hose and into the wall as normal, but instead spill it's load all over the floor.

If you want to name it, call it Onan (Take it, TCB)!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #176 on: August 19, 2005, 04:44:40 PM »

FJL: Or maybe, just maybe, the NY Times has gone as downhill as the rest of the country, which I believe is true.  

vixmom: No, you are not being a curmudgeon - television is shameful in the regard you speak of.  The media and television is responsible in a major way for the downfall of civilization as we know it - you can thank TV for every obnoxious trend we have to suffer through, especially with young girls.  I read today a review of the new musical Princesses.  They've been sending their little shills all over the Internet to try and tell everyone this is the next thing - I would hate to tell you what some of Mr. Zippel's quoted lyrics are - and if that's what little girls are talking about then the world is over.  And you can thank TV and Paris Hilton and every fifteen minutes of fame TV icon for it all.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #177 on: August 19, 2005, 04:46:19 PM »

Oh, and Princesses would like to think of itself as a family musical.  I guess it's wonderful to have young girls talk about waxing the inside of their rear end.  That's just the height of wit and sophistication - I have no doubt it's true for many young girls, and for that, as I've said, we can thank their "role models" and their parents for allowing them to have said role models.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #178 on: August 19, 2005, 04:46:40 PM »

I got very logey from the large sandwich.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #179 on: August 19, 2005, 05:35:04 PM »

"Desperate Housewives" actress Marcia Cross, who plays Bree Van De Kamp (sp?), is engaged to be married.

This bit of news seems to be following too closely on the heels of rumors at the end of season 1 that actress Cross was gay.

I'm all for true love...and marriages of convenience may salvage that which celebrities truly love: Their careers.

She (age 43) is marrying her "manager" (age 47).  First marriage for each.

Uh-huh.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up