Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: YOU KNOW THE MANTRA  (Read 29008 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:YOU KNOW THE MANTRA
« Reply #180 on: August 19, 2005, 05:36:14 PM »

Moral of the story is...don't wash those soft, thick chenille bathroom rugs in the washing machine...they really gum up the works.

Is it the chenille, or the rubberized backing that makes them slip-proof?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #181 on: August 19, 2005, 05:36:29 PM »

Huzzah!  I started a new page.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #182 on: August 19, 2005, 05:38:27 PM »

And I just got my car out of my local garage...where they did only 3/4ths of what I hoped they'd do.

I got the essentials, but they said I'll need new brakes and a new timing belt in the next couple of months.  I was very specific about replacing brakes and belts if they looked worn enough to be replaced in next few months.

I took the day off in order to get preventive maintenance done...told them to replace everything that needs replacing or will need replacing in near future.

The mechanic said he didn't want my bill to be too high.

I thanked him for that...and for the call to AAA I'd have to make when the timing belt goes south on me on a freeway in the next few weeks.

sigh.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 05:39:45 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Tomovoz

« Reply #183 on: August 19, 2005, 05:40:12 PM »

Sunset Boulevard

What do you get when you strip away all those top heavy sets and gimmicks?
You get an opportunity for a great performances.  Judi Connelli is without doubt the best Norma I have seen or heard.
David Campbell is wonderful on stage. He has presence and retains his own voice. He is not at all interchangeable with all those "leading men" out there. He makes the role of Joe his own. Last year I saw his Billy Bigalow and was somewhat apprehensive about him tackling that one.  He added a new vulnerability to Billy and was totally convincing. As Joe he also had the ability to show some other aspects of what I've always found to be an unlikeable and opportunistic character.

Ms Connelli is a treasure. Absolutely the right voice for the role and the acting talent to go with it. Standing ovations for the stars. and that is not really usual here.

There was another problem with the stripping away of the majestic sets with which we were familiar. Focus is on the music!!  There is just so much repetition. Is this ALW's worst show for this.  You just keep thinking "on not that theme again".
Lyrics - how any time do we really need to hear someone say "new ways to dream" and "surrender".  Now I know why I don't play the Cast recordings!

At least I can say I saw some wonderful performances. The actress playing Betty was a little shrill at times (I love Judy Kuhn's versions of the songs). The ensemble was great. Excellent diction on all those dialogue/patter songs. the actor/singing playing Max was also great.

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #184 on: August 19, 2005, 05:40:58 PM »

BB6:  What ROTTEN news about the live feed.

Even more rotten is that I won't get to see tomorrow's telecast "live"...but three-hours-tape-delayed!

I wonder if the feed will take into consideration West Coast viewers or if it will come back up at 6 p.m. here?

Tomovoz

« Reply #185 on: August 19, 2005, 05:41:01 PM »

Now to read today's posts and of course the notes.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #186 on: August 19, 2005, 05:42:36 PM »

DR TomovOz and François de Paris:  What does Anthony Warlow have "new" out?  Have I missed something?

François de Paris

« Reply #187 on: August 19, 2005, 05:45:35 PM »

Was going to print Tom's  view of "his" Sunset but he beat me to it! LOL!

DR Ron.... you DON'T KNOW????

Let me do some searching for ya!

Tomovoz

« Reply #188 on: August 19, 2005, 05:45:46 PM »

I'll leave it to François - He's heard both.
James Thurber 1957

François de Paris

« Reply #189 on: August 19, 2005, 05:48:52 PM »

Anthony's New CDs Now Available!

Anthony Warlow has released two new limited edition recordings on the Skylark label.

The first is 'The Snow Goose', a narrated work adapted from Paul Gallico's moving short story features the London Symphony Orchestra.

His second release 'Tenor & Baritone' coincides with his success in Opera Australia's latest productions of 'HMS Pinafore & Trial by Jury'.

Anthony is joined on this musical voyage of Victorian & Edwardian ballads and duets by acclaimed Australian Tenor, David Hobson.

François de Paris

« Reply #190 on: August 19, 2005, 05:51:34 PM »

The Snow Goose is adapted from Paul Gallico's moving short story set during World War II and features Anthony Warlow as narrator with the London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Ed Welsh.
The main characters in the story are identified by their own themes:

Part 1
The Marshland Theme
Rhayader's Theme
Snow Goose Theme
Fritha's Theme
The Goose Walking
Walking By The Sea

Part 2
The Lonely Man
Goose Conversations
Sailing

Tomovoz

« Reply #191 on: August 19, 2005, 05:51:56 PM »

Damn! Damn! Damn!  Several weeks ago I sent DRGinny as a lark the CD of the dreadful MARIE CHRISTINE, and now Paypal think her address is my primary one.  As a result, I believe everything I purchased around 4 hours ago is being sent to her home in Ohio!

This day has been such crap and it's not nearly over.  I want to kick ass and kill.  I want to throw things and break windows.  I am not happy.
You are loved DR ELmore.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #192 on: August 19, 2005, 05:52:59 PM »

Summer 1976. (Winter here). I moved in with DP Colin on July 1st 1976. Who said it wouldn't work?
James Thurber 1957

François de Paris

« Reply #193 on: August 19, 2005, 05:53:11 PM »

TENOR & BARITONE

Anthony is joined on this musical voyage of Victorian & Edwardian ballads and duets by acclaimed Australian Tenor, David Hobson.

Tracks:

1. The Dickybird And The Owl
2. Come Into The Garden Maud
3. Give Me A Ticket To Heaven
4. List To The Convent Bells
5. The Lost Chord
6. Tenor And Baritone
7. Tom Bowling
8. Roses Of Picardy
9. I'll Walk Beside You
10.On The Day I Get To Heaven
11.I'll Sing Thee Songs Of Araby
12.The Wee Cooper O' Fife

François de Paris

« Reply #194 on: August 19, 2005, 05:57:34 PM »

I'll leave it to François - He's heard both.

If you were DR elmore, you'd leave it to Jane.... who's been quite silent tonight! :)

François de Paris

« Reply #195 on: August 19, 2005, 05:58:37 PM »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #196 on: August 19, 2005, 06:06:41 PM »

Francois, Mr. Haines thanks you.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #197 on: August 19, 2005, 06:07:32 PM »

You are loved DR ELmore.

DRTomovoz, I know I do, and I'm grateful for everyone of you on HHW who help keep me sane.  And you are loved back.  All of you.

I wanted to say that DRTomovoz has sent me the new Anthony Warlow-David Hobson CD and I hope to listen to it tomorrow.  I love Victorian Parlour songs!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

François de Paris

« Reply #198 on: August 19, 2005, 06:08:48 PM »

Just to set the record straight and be gay about it, I had posted the infos for all of y'all to know!

See!

------------------------------------------------------------------

48      Haines His Way / Daily Discussions / Re:DAYS OF WANE AND ROSES     on: July 29, 2005, 04:57:21 PM 
Oh, my goodness!
I have JUST found that info and... I'm a happy man!
NEWS FLASH!
Anthony Releases New CDs!
Anthony Warlow will release two new recording projects on the Skylark label later this month. The recordings, 'The Snow Goose', a narrated work adapted from Paul Gallico's moving short story features the London Symphony Orchestra.
His second release 'Tenor & Baritone' coincides with his success in Opera Australia's latest productions of 'HMS Pinafore & Trial by Jury'.
-------------------------------------------------

Of course, I was not talking about BIG BROTHER so... :D
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 06:11:12 PM by François de Paris »

Tomovoz

« Reply #199 on: August 19, 2005, 06:09:11 PM »

Of course you love the Parlour songs - you were there.. I of course live in Victoria - Oz.
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #200 on: August 19, 2005, 06:09:52 PM »

If you were DR elmore, you'd leave it to Jane.... who's been quite silent tonight! :)

No problem you could wish on her
Gives her a strain
She'll settle gaily a score or more daily
Leave it to Jane Jane Jane
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #201 on: August 19, 2005, 06:11:35 PM »

DR OzDerek survived last night's "Sunset Boulevard".  He will I suspect now spend two days sleeping!!
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #202 on: August 19, 2005, 06:12:02 PM »

Of course, I was not talking about BIG BROTHER so... :D

And I love you for that!

François de Paris

« Reply #203 on: August 19, 2005, 06:14:18 PM »

Francois, Mr. Haines thanks you.

Well, I do thank him, because he does more for me than I do for him, and that's greatly appreciated!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #204 on: August 19, 2005, 06:17:03 PM »

Dr François:

First, I thank you for "repeating" the information and for giving out so much detail.

Second, I LOVE David Hobson...I have the DVD of the Aussie producton of Baz Luhrmann's "La Boheme" in which he sang Rodolfo and a separate CD recording that came out a year or so back.

Third, sometimes I need a break from the internet.  Sometimes it lasts a day, and sometimes it lasts several days.  As inconceivable as it seems, I am not always good about "catching up" on everything that has been posted while "in absentia."  My bad.

:D

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 06:18:23 PM by Ron Pulliam »

François de Paris

« Reply #205 on: August 19, 2005, 06:17:10 PM »

And I love you for that!

Only for that??? :-[ ;)

(Ahhh, at last someone who does not go after BIG things!-- TCB, take it away!) ;D

Tomovoz

« Reply #206 on: August 19, 2005, 06:18:05 PM »

TOTD:
CD:  Mrs Mills - The Very Best of.
        (I'm getting ready for my Nursing home admission tests)
DVD: last watched "Broadway - The American Musical"
VCR: Young Frankenstein.
In the car: "Showboat" (Jerry Hadley)
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #207 on: August 19, 2005, 06:19:51 PM »

And I love you for that!

Never fear....before too long, the persimmons will be coming in....

;D

François de Paris

« Reply #208 on: August 19, 2005, 06:20:57 PM »

I LOVE David Hobson...

Does he know it????

Tomovoz

« Reply #209 on: August 19, 2005, 06:21:02 PM »

"Waffle". It is pronounced "Woffle" in OZ. (Is it the same in North America?)
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Up