Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: TACK, BRA, PUSS PUSS  (Read 13508 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: TACK, BRA, PUSS PUSS
« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2012, 12:46:22 PM »

Four!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2012, 12:52:51 PM »

Travel vibes for DS Craig!

Thanks.

Jane

« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2012, 12:54:11 PM »

All is quiet now and Kitty has come out of her hiding place.  I need to re-program the new DVR.  Of course I can't remember everything that was on there to begin with.

MBarnum

« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2012, 12:55:14 PM »

Watched all four of the films on the TCM/Universal DVD set WOMEN IN DANGER.

It was wonderful to finally see FEMALE ON THE BEACH again. Joan Crawford was at her sneering best and Jeff Chandler was dreamy. Natalie Shafer and Jan Sterling were both excellent, as well.

My only disappointment with the set was the print used for THE UNGUARDED MOMENT, a film that is one of my all time favorites. The print was not very good at all and it was not even anamphorphically enhanced for wide screen TVs!! THE PRICE OF FEAR, the only other widescreen film on the set, was anamporphic, but not THE UNGUARDED MOMENT.

I am guessing that because the print was not very sharp, rather fuzzy in fact, that it would look even more ghastly blown up to fit a wide screen tv, so they didn't bother. Oh well, after awhile I didn't notice and just enjoyed the film. Edward Andrews is by far one of the creepiest actors I have ever seen. George Nader and Esther Williams had very good chemisty, I thought, and John Saxon showed what a good actor he was/is.

I am very happy that these films were finally released on DVD, and I have heard through the grapevine that more vintage Universal and Universal-International stuff is in the works over the next year or so, including more sci-fi and horror films.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2012, 12:55:33 PM »

DR JohnG. I had meant to thank you for the nice comments about the Herbert Songs. I don't know if anyne else on HHW has heard the collection or even liked it much, but we could sure use a positive review on Amazon. Both reviews posted there seem negative to middling to me, much like Suskin's for Playbill, generally dismissive. One says the first disc is great and the material gets worse and the other says (s)he could get six friends and a bottle of wine together and produce something similar, which is an insukt to most of the singers we cast. I know there are clinkers in 102 numbers, but I feel there are listeners happier with the recording than these two critics.
Sure, there are a couple of songs that are not as wonderful as others, but the point of a collection is to show everything. I have only made it through about two and a half of the discs (mostly starting one and not having the time to listen to all of it.). What I particularly enjoy is the wistful feeling a lot of the music has. I had played some George M. Cohan last week because of the Fourth, and there is a definite musical heritage that both express that, well, deserves to be heard and preserved. The singers are gorgeous. I will also say I was a little worried that I would miss a full orchestral sound, but I don't. The music and the singers are that good. Zachary Strains (is that his name?) is the one newcomer so far who has stood out for me alongside the more familiar, to me, voices of Rebecca Luker and Ron Raines.

So, yes, I will try to go on there and post a review when I have finished. I owe BK a rave, too, for "Album Produced By ..."

Zachary Stains. Our DR JRand61 is a huge fan, as am I.

I sent all the singers an email saying "if your friends are liking your work, tell them to post a good review." I hate being a shill. I don't think we'll be sending EILEEN to Suskin. It would be a waste of money and time.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2012, 12:55:51 PM »

All is quiet now and Kitty has come out of her hiding place.  I need to re-program the new DVR.  Of course I can't remember everything that was on there to begin with.

Start with MR ED and BIG BROTHER.

MBarnum

« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2012, 12:56:55 PM »

DR Elmore, regarding your executor situation. Just have in your will that all your assets be liquidated into cash and put into my savings account. I will take care of it all for you, I promise. It is the least I can do for you, my friend.

Jane

« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2012, 12:57:21 PM »

I apologize to my cousin who is a producer on the show, however, BIG BROTHER-NEVER!

Jane

« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2012, 12:59:51 PM »

DR DtM I just read the sad story of your young co-worker.  My cousin's daughter is moving to Philly after her wedding and I was just telling her what a wonderful city it is and how much Craig enjoyed living there.

My heartfelt condolences to his family and all who cared about him.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2012, 01:01:21 PM »

The only Swedish I ever learned was "meatballs."  It isn't much, but it usually gets me thru IKEA.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2012, 01:04:04 PM »

Craig's flight was delayed AGAIN.  Long delays for flights with planes sitting there just waiting to take off.

MBarnum

« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2012, 01:10:32 PM »

TOD:

I took Spanish and German in school, but remember very little of the Spanish and just enough of the German in that I can sometimes understand simple sentences.

My Hindi/Urudu is getting better all of the time. Not enough to converse, but I can sometimes understand what is happening when I watch an unsubtitled Bollywood movie.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2012, 01:11:34 PM »

My grandmother (on my Dad's side) was Norwegian.  The older she got and longer she had been in America, the heavier her accent.  She would often slip into speaking Norwegian with either my dad or one of my aunts, usually if she didn't want us to know what she was saying.  My sister and I were taught to call her Mormor, which was actually incorrect.  Mormor is actually the mother's mother.  We should have called her farmor (father's mother), but hey, there were six of them vs. only the two of us.
“One thing’s universal,

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2012, 01:13:11 PM »

Craig's flight was delayed AGAIN.  Long delays for flights with planes sitting there just waiting to take off.

Reminds me of the trip I was supposed to take to Scottsdale a year ago last April.

Southwest?
You can dream…or you can do.

MBarnum

« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2012, 01:13:45 PM »

I actually wish that I had learnt more Spanish. So many vintage Mexican films are out on DVD now, but without subtitles. Knowing Spanish would make it easier for me to understand and enjoy these films.

I am guessing that the DVD companies releasing them figure that no English speakers would care to watch them, but they are quite wrong.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2012, 01:18:09 PM »

This play may be about Presidents and elections, but it makes no political statement whatsoever.  It's just fun.

It's also the (extended) book of the musical that I worked on with BK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eoe93RgNRY&list=UUQ6z6vyjJFsiqL33qbiSJSQ&index=1&feature=plcp

I thought you had only written one multi-character play.
“One thing’s universal,

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2012, 01:22:16 PM »

Glad to hear about the DVD Set, DR MBARNUM....you are not the only person who is unhappy with the transfer of THE UNGUARDED MOMENT.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2012, 01:22:44 PM »

The orchestra parts are mailed. I believe I shall go to Tekserve and look at MacBooks, perhaps purchase one.

Nice.  I've been a PC user since the beginning of time, but have been thinking very seriously for the past several months that when it comes time to buy a new computer, I will cross over to the other side.  Looking at the prices causes some wavering in that conviction, but really, I think it needs to be done.

I am with you on the price, Chas.  I was thinking of getting a Mac Notebook, but it seem like the price is much higher than the similar Windows laptop.  That seems to be the only stumbling block at the moment; other than the fact that I have never even tried to use a Mac.
“One thing’s universal,

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2012, 01:23:04 PM »

Off to have photographs taken by the newspaper followed by a dress rehearsal.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

John G.

« Reply #109 on: July 09, 2012, 01:26:09 PM »

DR JohnG. I had meant to thank you for the nice comments about the Herbert Songs. I don't know if anyne else on HHW has heard the collection or even liked it much, but we could sure use a positive review on Amazon. Both reviews posted there seem negative to middling to me, much like Suskin's for Playbill, generally dismissive. One says the first disc is great and the material gets worse and the other says (s)he could get six friends and a bottle of wine together and produce something similar, which is an insukt to most of the singers we cast. I know there are clinkers in 102 numbers, but I feel there are listeners happier with the recording than these two critics.
Sure, there are a couple of songs that are not as wonderful as others, but the point of a collection is to show everything. I have only made it through about two and a half of the discs (mostly starting one and not having the time to listen to all of it.). What I particularly enjoy is the wistful feeling a lot of the music has. I had played some George M. Cohan last week because of the Fourth, and there is a definite musical heritage that both express that, well, deserves to be heard and preserved. The singers are gorgeous. I will also say I was a little worried that I would miss a full orchestral sound, but I don't. The music and the singers are that good. Zachary Strains (is that his name?) is the one newcomer so far who has stood out for me alongside the more familiar, to me, voices of Rebecca Luker and Ron Raines.

So, yes, I will try to go on there and post a review when I have finished. I owe BK a rave, too, for "Album Produced By ..."

Zachary Stains. Our DR JRand61 is a huge fan, as am I.

I sent all the singers an email saying "if your friends are liking your work, tell them to post a good review." I hate being a shill. I don't think we'll be sending EILEEN to Suskin. It would be a waste of money and time.
Well, I am certainly looking forward to hearing the rest. I would be listening to some of it now, but I forgot my MP3 player at work.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #110 on: July 09, 2012, 01:26:20 PM »

Craig could use some traveling vibes today.  His first flight has been delayed, hopefully not too long so he can catch his connection.

He is headed to Maryland to take a class he hasn't even been able to register for due to the major power outages and the holiday & weekend.  This has been the only class out of the five he needed to take this summer that he could find available. 

At least he was able to set up his introduction to Johns Hopkins while he is there and will be looking for a place to live.

How long will Craig have to be there?

“One thing’s universal,

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #111 on: July 09, 2012, 01:26:37 PM »

This play may be about Presidents and elections, but it makes no political statement whatsoever.  It's just fun.

It's also the (extended) book of the musical that I worked on with BK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eoe93RgNRY&list=UUQ6z6vyjJFsiqL33qbiSJSQ&index=1&feature=plcp

I thought you had only written one multi-character play.

Actually, two.
You can dream…or you can do.

Jane

« Reply #112 on: July 09, 2012, 01:27:55 PM »

Reminds me of the trip I was supposed to take to Scottsdale a year ago last April.

Southwest?

Don't say "supposed"!  He has got to get there before the class begins.

United.  I'm not sure it is their fault.  Maybe Craig will know when we speak to him.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #113 on: July 09, 2012, 01:28:20 PM »

With Mercury AND Uranus going into retrograde this week.....such delays are expected DR JANE.

We have to live with it until at least August 7th.

Craig has to stay at the airport until August 7th?
“One thing’s universal,

John G.

« Reply #114 on: July 09, 2012, 01:28:50 PM »

DR Elmore, regarding your executor situation. Just have in your will that all your assets be liquidated into cash and put into my savings account. I will take care of it all for you, I promise. It is the least I can do for you, my friend.
I just got slightly choked up reading the concern and love expressed in that statement.
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #115 on: July 09, 2012, 01:28:50 PM »

Craig could use some traveling vibes today.  His first flight has been delayed, hopefully not too long so he can catch his connection.

He is headed to Maryland to take a class he hasn't even been able to register for due to the major power outages and the holiday & weekend.  This has been the only class out of the five he needed to take this summer that he could find available. 

At least he was able to set up his introduction to Johns Hopkins while he is there and will be looking for a place to live.

How long will Craig have to be there?

Thank you.  The plan is to return on the 20th.  If he can't get the class he might come home earlier.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #116 on: July 09, 2012, 01:33:00 PM »

I found this casserole recipe on line and decided it sounded yummy (and simple) enough to try.  First I was going to make it yesterday, and then I considered making it today.  Now, I am not sure if I will make it, at all.  It is an easy throw together recipe, but it requires me to boil noodles and to fry hamburger.  I am worried about trying to do either while I am still in a wheelchair.  I am not sure how to get the boiling noodles to the sink to drain, and I am nervous about knocking over the fry pan.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #117 on: July 09, 2012, 01:33:45 PM »

TOD:

I did French at school and have done classes in German and Spanish. I am abysmal in all of them.

I usually did French after school.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #118 on: July 09, 2012, 01:33:48 PM »

I just got slightly choked up reading the concern and love expressed in that statement.

;D

DR elmore I am very, very sorry about your "best" friend.  Why not ask Randy how he feels about it.  You might just need an easy Codicil to your will, not an entire new one.

Jane

« Reply #119 on: July 09, 2012, 01:34:45 PM »

I found this casserole recipe on line and decided it sounded yummy (and simple) enough to try.  First I was going to make it yesterday, and then I considered making it today.  Now, I am not sure if I will make it, at all.  It is an easy throw together recipe, but it requires me to boil noodles and to fry hamburger.  I am worried about trying to do either while I am still in a wheelchair.  I am not sure how to get the boiling noodles to the sink to drain, and I am nervous about knocking over the fry pan.

Probably better you don't risk dropping hot water or pan grease on you.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up