Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: SOAP OPERA  (Read 12795 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SOAP OPERA
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2004, 08:13:22 AM »

And one for Mahler.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2004, 08:14:02 AM »

Of course, Sullivan's Travels should have been first on my list - one of my all-time favorite films of any genre.  

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2004, 08:29:03 AM »

Congrats to all involved in WHAT IF...? on some lovely revue reviews.

Good job-hunting vibes to DR SWW (and any others out there who might need them...)

My favorite Hollywood films have been mentioned, both good ones and campy ones.  One that I don't think I have seen above, however, is WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE? (which I guess is both good AND campy!)  I think that it should be included as well.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 08:29:54 AM by Stuart »

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2004, 08:48:06 AM »

It's been an extremely frustrating day so far.

The task I need to complete before going out of town is the annual application to the Kleban Foundation.  This means I have to make them a tape of eight of my songs (they judge lyrics, not music).  All technology stymies me, you should know.

I'm trying to structure my application like a musical, so, the first number on the tape is supposed to be the big opening number from Area 51.  In order to make the best tape possible, I thought I'd go back to the tape I had rolling at the final performance.

It's a DAT.  At the time, I bought a DAT recorder (Walkman) because the man at the store told me it was the best thing I could use to make a permanent recording of a live theatre experience.  I paid a fortune for it, and the microphone.  And, not being technically minded, I could hear nothing wrong with the recording I made.  Of course, it has the stomping sound of 34 dancers on stage, but, what more could I do?

So, it takes me some time to hook up the DAT to my stereo, so I can dub to cassette tape, and I gingerly put my "permanent" DAT into the DAT machine, which promptly eats the tape.  Foolishly, I then put the other "permanent" DAT of another performance into the DAT machine, which promptly eats that tape, too.

The closing number - and I've not gotten to this yet - is something that I've a video of.  (Can't seem to find an audio.)  So I need to make an audio dub of that.  But the videotape is on a high inaccessibly shelf and I haven't, as yet, figured out how to get the VCR to play into the stereo.

Looks like the time out of town will be delayed.  And truncated.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2004, 09:11:54 AM »

In thinking about today's TOD, I was reminded of all those musicals in the 1940s where people like Judy Garland and June Allyson and Kathryn Grayson and Mickey Rooney wanted to be "on the stage." I find it fascinating that they never dreamed of being "in the movies."

Occasionally Debbie Reynolds in I LOVE MELVIN would have a dream about being a film star (she was already on the stage playing a football), but for so many, a theater career was what they were seeking, not a movie career. Do you think it was Hollywood's way of being humble?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2004, 09:46:06 AM »

May I please comment without upsetting anyone?

While "Singin' in the Rain" is a joyous, colorful, wonderful movie musical without a flaw, I have to confess I don't love it as much as others, most especially "The Wizard of Oz."

I go long stretches not wanting to watch "Singin' in the Rain" while I find I can sit and watch "The Wizard of Oz" at almost any time it's playing.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2004, 10:08:37 AM »

Might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?

Tomovoz

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2004, 10:13:54 AM »

At 3.15am I am in bed. OK.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2004, 10:22:38 AM »

Dan TM - Yes, I'll add SOB and THE PLAYER to my list. I also love SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS, but it didn't spring into my head as a "Hollywood" movie - which it is - because even thought the film world is the jumping off point, the "real world" travels are what I think of when I think of the movie. (Is that convoluted enough?)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2004, 10:22:49 AM »

Anyone remember a toothpaste commerical that had, as its opening tease, "Yipes, Stripes!"?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 10:23:10 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2004, 10:23:52 AM »

I've been running around doing errands since very early this morning. Haven't even showered or had coffee. Will do that now.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2004, 10:27:17 AM »

Today was my first therapy session....

....and may I just say....

.....OWWWWWWE-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E!

[sniff]

Most of it went very well, with the therapist manipulating my arm and elbow joint with assuredness and care.

But the ultimate infliction was the arm-straightening routine which I must now go through several times a day for 20 reps per time.  It's a full extension and then bending of the arm in one position.  

I have all these little twinges now...like little electric shocks going off in various places along my arm.  

It's also a bit enervating.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2004, 10:32:13 AM »

Anyone remember a toothpaste commerical that had, as its opening tease, "Yipes, Stripes!"?

I vaguely remember a Beech Nut Fruit chewing gum commercial that had the animated animals singing something like "Yipes, Stripes!".  A toothpaste ad doesn't ring a bell (though I think Pepsodent was the first toothpaste to have stripes.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2004, 10:42:54 AM »

May I please comment without upsetting anyone?

While "Singin' in the Rain" is a joyous, colorful, wonderful movie musical without a flaw, I have to confess I don't love it as much as others, most especially "The Wizard of Oz."

I go long stretches not wanting to watch "Singin' in the Rain" while I find I can sit and watch "The Wizard of Oz" at almost any time it's playing.

The only time I cannot bare to watch TWOO is when it's showing on a broadcast channel and it has incessant commercial interruptions.  But otherwise, both TWOO and SITR are two movies that I can start watching at any point and will enjoy through to the end.  Likewise, Dr Zhivago, though it's definately another kind of film.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2004, 10:58:30 AM »

"Yipes, Stripes! Beech Nut's got em'

The tag was for Beech Nut Fruit Stripe Gum. I remember it well.

Here is some information on the creator of the ad campaign:

"As a music major at Mount Holyoke College, Linda Conway Correll dreamed of writing for Broadway.  A season of producing and performing off-Broadway plays for children in New York City, for which she had written the music, convinced her she needed a steadier way to earn a living.  Accepting an entry-level position at Young & Rubicam Advertising, Correll was soon offered the opportunity to write a jingle to introduce a new product for Beech-Nut.  The Yipes! Stripes! campaign ran for three years, receiving recognition at Cannes, and her advertising career was born."

Ben

« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2004, 11:02:32 AM »

Here's a link in case you want to order some Fruit Stripe gum.

http://www.sweetnostalgia.com/fruitstripegum.html

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2004, 11:07:21 AM »

Here's a link in case you want to order some Fruit Stripe gum.

http://www.sweetnostalgia.com/fruitstripegum.html

Just like Pavlov's dog, my salivary glands started running wild the minute I glanced at the picture of the pack of gum.  
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2004, 11:09:01 AM »

And here's a picture of a premium associated with the gum.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2004, 11:18:09 AM »

Well, here I am, reporting live from school. I finally got online after trying three other computers that didn't work. The one I'm using now is pretty old and unreliable. It keeps logging me out so I can't post, and the colors on the monitor are realy weird. Or is the site just funny today? You'd think with all the money this school is soaking out of everybody, they'd be able to keep some computers around that were made some time after the last ice age.

I just got out of my new Shakespeare class, in which we discussed blank verse for an hour and fifteen minutes. It was very exciting. (I'm being sarcastic, by the way.) My teacher compulsively straightened all the papers on his desk several times, and when they were all straight and perfectly even, he messed them up so he could straighten them again.

Someone asked me a while back if there was any Cherry Coke on campus. I now have an answer for you, whoever it was. I went all over this campus looking for Cherry Coke just for you. (Yeah, I did it for you. I don't even remember who asked.) There is no Cherry Coke on campus, as far as I can tell, but the place across the street will sell you a 32 ounce Cherry Coke for 49 cents. I was very excited.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2004, 11:24:46 AM »

The highlights from yesterday:

My Survey of English Lit teacher talked so much that we left the room ten minutes after class was supposed to end. But he never actually said anything. I sat there with my pencil and paper, trying to take notes, but there was nothing to write down. I did note, however, that his voice sounds very much like Guy Haines', and that he said "unseemly" at some point during his rambling.

My Poetry teacher was old and pretty boring, but he did tell us that all of Emily Dickinson's poetry can be sung to the tune of "The Yellow Rose of Texas." I was singing that on the bus all the way home. I think I annoyed everybody else. But you get all types on the bus, so maybe no one noticed.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Ben

« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2004, 11:34:30 AM »

It was me, DR Sandra, who asked about the availability of Cherry Coke. I do hope that you will finish out the school year, even though the school is lacking in important supplies. Don't spend all your time (or money) at the store across the street. You will need to put in some seat time in some of those "exciting" classes. Can you, at least, slip into class with a 32 ounce Cherry Coke?

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2004, 12:48:51 PM »

Could this board be any quieter today?  According to my PC, it's been over an hour without a post.....  Is everyone in Tarnation?  Or Cognito?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 12:49:17 PM by Stuart »

Ben

« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2004, 12:50:41 PM »

They have all gone off to find Cherry Coke and Beech-Nut Fruit Stripe Gum!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2004, 12:51:50 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Well, my "early to bed" routine last night seems to have done the trick.  I woke up today feeling much better, and truly rested.  Of course, now I'm really tempted to crawl back in bed for the rest of they day, but instead I finally took care of some e-mails, postcards and such this morning.  A nice relaxing morning, and I plan on having a nice relaxing afternoon.  I have to venture out to North Hollywood tomorrow to meet up with some friends, so I shall save my venturing out until then.  Oh, but I am venturing out tonight too, but I won't have to log any major foot traffic time to get there.

*When I went out for my walk yesterday afternoon, I kept catching myself "rushing" for no apparent reason.  I had to check myself every now and then.  No hurries.  No worries.  I guess I'm so used to walking in NYC - where one usually has to walk fast in order not to be run over by everyone else.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2004, 12:54:03 PM »

As for Hollywood movies, the only one that comes to my mind too is "Singin' In the Rain".

Lemmings, we're all lemmings... ;)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 12:55:43 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2004, 01:00:28 PM »

Yes, I must say we are asleep at the wheel here at haineshisway.com.  We must be awake at the wheel or awheel at awake but we must have some postings or I shall whither away.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2004, 01:16:26 PM »

I have nothing much to say except that I've been nursing a diet Cherry Coke all afternoon and that, while I'm craving some Beech-Nut Fruit Stripe Gum, I have no idea where to find any in the city.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2004, 01:27:35 PM »

Dan (the Man) you are clever to make wallpaper from DRLaura’s incredible photo of the sunset.

I tend to think of SULLIVAN’S TRAVELS as a road movie, but it is about the industry, and it is my favorite.  Next would be SINGING IN THE RAIN.

beckon, you are never too late, and late is better than never. :)

td please tell evil twin I shall try and catch the show & I hope she will come back to us soon.

DerBrucer-stop the insanity!  Don’t go looking for a dog, I’m sure one is bound to find you soon enough. ;D

Sandra I was happy to see you can post from school, and of course relieved to find you won't have to go to miss your cherry coke fix.  :D

Michael

« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2004, 01:35:58 PM »

I would also like to add SOB and The Player. I enjoyed SOB because it was far more Wickeder. (such a word).
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2004, 01:36:18 PM »

Now for all those much needed vibes.

Elmore continued good health vibes and return to us soon.  :)

RLP GOOD THERAPY VIBES!

SWW GOOD JOB VIBES!  I’m still confused as to why they would let a good employee go so close to the holiday season.  I hope you still walked away with a letter of recommendation.  May the next position be more interesting than this last one.

Bruce-congrats on the reviews and GOOD TRANSITION VIBES!

TCB GOOD PLAY, HEALTH AND COMPUTER VIBES!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up