Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: VAMPING  (Read 25100 times)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
Re:VAMPING
« Reply #210 on: March 04, 2006, 08:31:13 PM »

Oh, it turns out Dear Friend Milla did indeed win a Backstage Bistro Award.  The list of winners finally showed up on the internet, so I was able to congratulate her accordingly when she came over for a visit tonight.

Congratulations to your friend!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #211 on: March 04, 2006, 08:31:39 PM »

I put in another episode of FIREFLY and was thoroughly entertained. Nice to end the evening on an up note rather than that pretentious DOGVILLE.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #212 on: March 04, 2006, 08:32:36 PM »

I noticed I still had THE SINGING DETECTIVE (Robert Downey, Jr. version) still on the DVR, so that may well constitute part of my viewing tomorrow.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #213 on: March 04, 2006, 08:35:02 PM »

a page 8 tango....

Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #214 on: March 04, 2006, 08:35:52 PM »

Hmm... Natalie Portman is hosting SNL... Wonder if any "Star Wars" skits are on the docket for tonight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #215 on: March 04, 2006, 08:36:58 PM »

I just got back from Playwrights Horizons. I saw Grey Gardens. Those of you in New York City (or coming back to New York City) should try to see it. Christine Ebersole gives a wonderful performance. It's a musical based on the documentary film about an aunt and cousin of Jackie Kennedy. The title comes from the name of the estate, Grey Gardens. It's funny and sad and touching and a little bit crazy all together. The book is by Doug Wright who wrote I Am My Own Wife. The music is by Scott Frankel and the lyrics are by Michael Korie. The show was sold out and they extended through April 9th. On the strength of Ebersole's performance alone I would say go see it. I don't think it can move to Broadway, at least right now, because there are no houses available, although I think it could move down the block to the Little Shubert, the new Off-Broadway house. That would be a good size theatre for the show. Other than the Helen Hayes, I think the other Broadway houses are too big for the show. It needs a smaller space.

Fred, by the way, when I was at PH, I looked at the alum picture taken in 2003 and there was Dear Skip in all his glory. What a crop of talent in that picture!

FJL

« Reply #216 on: March 04, 2006, 08:38:34 PM »

Jose - Do you know:  Has the Las Vegas HAIRSPRAY cast been performing all ten shows a week, or is there an alternate cast at this point?

Matt H.

« Reply #217 on: March 04, 2006, 08:42:19 PM »

Jose - Do you know:  Has the Las Vegas HAIRSPRAY cast been performing all ten shows a week, or is there an alternate cast at this point?

You didn't ask me, but I read in VARIETY that there had been two casts, so to cut expenses, they've cut it to 8 shows a week with one cast.

FJL

« Reply #218 on: March 04, 2006, 08:43:16 PM »

Ben -  I believe Skip is standing next to Bill Finn in that photo.  Wow, was that event really three years ago?

Matt H.

« Reply #219 on: March 04, 2006, 08:43:24 PM »

I just read the winners of the Independent Spirit Awards. No spoilers, but I'll just say that it was nice that the wealth was spread around to a lot of films. I have a feeling the Oscars are going to go that way tomorrow night, too. There won't be a big winner, I don't think.

FJL

« Reply #220 on: March 04, 2006, 08:44:25 PM »

Thanks for the info, MattH.  I had missed that in Variety.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #221 on: March 04, 2006, 08:45:32 PM »

I just got back from Playwrights Horizons. I saw Grey Gardens. Those of you in New York City (or coming back to New York City) should try to see it. ...

A friend of mine went to the show last night, and they had a set malfunction, and ended up taking a four minute "pause" in the middle of the second act to get things working again.  Alas, the Times was there last night too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #222 on: March 04, 2006, 08:52:26 PM »

What DR MattH - and "Variety" - said.

;)

*Although, some of the ensemble members were originally contracted to play all 10 shows.  -And got paid the appropriate "overtime" bump for the extra two shows.  Otherwise, the "swings" would fill in as needed/scheduled.
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #223 on: March 04, 2006, 08:55:57 PM »

SNL has been spectacularly unfunny tonight, but that's not a great surprise.  Tina Fey, Amy Poehler and Maya Rudolph are the only reasons to watch anymore.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #224 on: March 04, 2006, 09:08:02 PM »

Heading down for bed now.

Long day (and night) tomorrow with the Oscars.

Good night!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #225 on: March 04, 2006, 09:17:09 PM »

SNL has been spectacularly unfunny tonight, but that's not a great surprise.  Tina Fey, Amy Poehler and Maya Rudolph are the only reasons to watch anymore.

And where the frell do they find these "Musical Guests" lately?

Yikes!
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #226 on: March 04, 2006, 09:18:53 PM »

Well, you can rent WALK THE LINE, it came out last Tuesday, but doesn't sound like you'd have time to see it

Unless you go out and buy it RIGHT NOW!! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #227 on: March 04, 2006, 09:27:01 PM »

I have now joined the group, although it took me twenty minutes to figure out what the heck I was doing.  And DR George, I would never have known that you were 55!

Well, not really. ;) Actually, the 55 is supposed to be my birthday, May 5.  My e-mail address now is gpd0505@... which makes more sense, but the georged55 came from my very first e-mail address, when I had AOL.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #228 on: March 04, 2006, 09:30:07 PM »

Cillaliz - Now I'll never be able to get this one out of my head either.  :)  

{Refrain}
Tra la la, la la la la (4X)

One banana, two banana, three banana, four
Four bananas make a bunch and so do many more
Over hill and highway the banana buggies go
Comin' up to bring you the Banana Split show

{Bridge}
Makin' up a mess of fun
Makin' up a mess of fun
Lots of fun for ev'ryone

{Refrain}

Four banana, three banana, two banana, one
All bananas playin' in the bright warm sun
Flippin' like a pancake, popping like a cork
Fleegle, Bingo, Drooper an' Snork

{Refrain}

Two banana, four banana, one banana, three
Swingin' like a bunch on monkeys, hangin' from a tree
Hey there, ev'rybody, won't you come along and see
How much like Banana Splits ev'ryone can be

{Refrain, Bridge, Refrain}

My sister and I loved the Banana Splits!  I've had their album for years, but it's pretty old and not-so-gently used. ::) However, last year (a couple of years ago??), I bought a CD of the TV soundtrack.  I don't know if it's "legitimate" or not, but if it is, it's supposedly a limited (but not numbered) edition.  It does have good sound quality. ;D

George

« Reply #229 on: March 04, 2006, 09:37:34 PM »

I taped six hours of shows last night and so far, I've only watched one..."Ghost Whisperer."  I'm going to watch "Battlestar Galactica" now, because it's on a tape that I'm using to tape a daily cartoon for one of the daughters of my friend, Margo.  So I'm going to have to tape over it by Monday, so I need to watch it now...and now means now, not later. ;)

So, I hope everyone has a good evening. ;D

« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 09:38:13 PM by George »

MBarnum

« Reply #230 on: March 04, 2006, 09:51:56 PM »

Just finished CRASH...another fine contender for the Oscars. I am glad I didn't see it in the theater as I would have embarrassed myself...some of the movie is a bit emotional! LOL!

Well, now I have seem all but two of the Best Film nominations....I enjoyed all of them and will be happy no matter which one wins...that goes for the two that I did not yet see...from what I have heard they are also both quite worthy.

You know I have seen more new films this year than in the last 20 years put together I think! LOL!

MBarnum

« Reply #231 on: March 04, 2006, 09:53:57 PM »

But enough of new movies, it is now time to watch an old Bollywood film.....

MBarnum

« Reply #232 on: March 04, 2006, 10:00:02 PM »

And my Bollywood movie of the weekend is....KANGAN (1959)...a film noir about a woman who accidentally kills a blackmailer. Her husband, a police detective, is put on the case to find the murderer not knowing that it is his own wife!

Stars Ashok Kumar, Nirupa Roy, Daisy Irani, and Helen.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #233 on: March 04, 2006, 10:07:12 PM »

I had a great day hanging out with my friend Andy.  I met him after he finished his volunteer shift and we walked down to the village for brunch- with unlimited mimosas! We toodled around until we got to Soho and popped into a few stores to look for possible job fair outfits.  I didn't find anything that thrilled me but I did get some ideas about what to put together from my own closet.  Then we hopped the train back up to midtown and bought standing room tickets to see Sweeney Todd.  And we had just enough time to enjoy a martini before the show started.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #234 on: March 04, 2006, 10:09:06 PM »

The show was just as great the second time around.  It was my friend's first time seeing it and he seemed to really like it.  He wasn't familiar with the music or any of the plot twists so he was caught by surprise.

Also in attendance tonight were (in order that we spotted them) Kellie Martin, Adam Duritz (he's in some band or another and always seems to show up at broadway events) and Johnny Depp.  He was really tan and rather smaller than I expected.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #235 on: March 04, 2006, 10:10:35 PM »

I am going to give up stressing about an outfit for the job fair.  I used to interview people for a living, I guess I'm anxious about being on the other side for a change.  And also it could be that I'm slightly stressed that they only gave us a week's notice to prepare.  I should probably start channeling this attention into preparing my resume instead...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #236 on: March 04, 2006, 10:19:25 PM »

I am going to give up stressing about an outfit for the job fair.  I used to interview people for a living, I guess I'm anxious about being on the other side for a change.  And also it could be that I'm slightly stressed that they only gave us a week's notice to prepare.  I should probably start channeling this attention into preparing my resume instead...

Sending good luck vibes to TPunk!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #237 on: March 04, 2006, 10:22:41 PM »

The Dangling I - that's the title of my next novel.

I hate when I dangle my I, don't you?  It's quite unseemly.  I think I'm having an MSG buzz, as I can barely keep my eyes open.

I'm going to decide tomorrow whether to start another short story - I have an idea for one, in a genre I haven't really attempted before, but one that I love.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #238 on: March 04, 2006, 11:08:36 PM »

I would have loved to have seen Kellie Martin in person, doggone it!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #239 on: March 04, 2006, 11:10:47 PM »

Just watched a documentary called DIG! on Sundance about two bands that were sort of symbiotic. They start as friends and allies, one becomes a bit successful (The Dandy Warhols) and the other just self destructs. Another fascinating look into the sleazy music industry.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up