Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: JOYCE KILMER'S TREES  (Read 16285 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re: JOYCE KILMER'S TREES
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2009, 01:28:03 PM »

...the legalized postal theft concept of Media mail!

Media Mail saved us big bucks on moving from CA - I mailed dozens of very heavy boxes of books, records, LPs, CD's etc. The Media Mail cartons were ready for pick-up when we arrived in DE.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2009, 01:29:19 PM »

I did skim through today's AS THE WORLD TURNS. Nothing and nothing in next week's previews. Argh!

I don't know why you fret so much over a lame plot about the gay characters when the straight ones are so much more psychotic and fascinating! :D

I hate it that there are no smileys on the reply form.

There are smileys in the regular "Reply" box.  However, they do not appear in the "Quote/Quick Reply" box.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #122 on: January 30, 2009, 01:36:05 PM »

DR Enabler ~ I think of you and your monkey every time that commercial comes on where the little girl packs her little stuffed monkey in her dad's suitcase when he leaves for a business trip, and then he sends her email photos of the little monkey posing at different sites along his trip. (Last night actually)

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #123 on: January 30, 2009, 01:36:31 PM »

Ooooohhhhhhh....

HOT CHOCOLATE FESTIVAL
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #124 on: January 30, 2009, 01:40:17 PM »

There are smileys in the regular "Reply" box.  However, they do not appear in the "Quote/Quick Reply" box.

There are smiley's available from the Quote box, you add them in Preview!
 :) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8)
der Brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #125 on: January 30, 2009, 01:40:38 PM »

MEdia Check:

DVD:  VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA

That just arrived in the mail from NetFlix.

Oh, good. You can watch a lot of 20-something people talk like 70 year-olds. I hate Woody Allen.

I thought the 30-something characters in "VCB" actually talked liked 30-somethings.  It was a nice return to a more "classic" Woody Allen comedy.  -And I will admit to be a bit hesitant about seeing the movie initially since I did not want to be disappointed again, but I'm glad I went, and glad I saw it.

Me, too!  I love Woody Allen, but his last GREAT film was "Hannah and Her Sisters" and the last nearly great was "Bullets Over Broadway."   IMO!  :D

Still....I liked this one but found it disconcerting to hear the young girls expressing themselves in the Woody vernacular perfected by Keaton and Farrow.  I also liked the film he made a few years ago starring himself and Scarlet Johanssen.

Elmo, you're a poop!  :D  I love Kristen Chenoweth, too!  ;D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #126 on: January 30, 2009, 01:44:27 PM »

I think CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS is every bit as great as HANNAH AND HER SISTERS. In fact, if I had to choose only one of the two to watch tonight, it would be CRIMES. However, that's not to actually denegrate HANNAH which is a true masterwork.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #127 on: January 30, 2009, 01:46:36 PM »

Oh, I also think ANOTHER WOMAN is marvelous, find a lot to like about HUSBANDS AND WIVES, and, as I've said here, find new things to like about SHADOWS & FOG every time I watch it. If it weren't so filled with unnecessary profanity, I'd also be a great champion for RAISING HARRY.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #128 on: January 30, 2009, 01:46:39 PM »

... It was a nice return to a more "classic" Woody Allen comedy. 

Did they drink Classic Coke?

der Brucer
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 01:49:08 PM by DERBRUCER »

Matt H.

« Reply #129 on: January 30, 2009, 01:47:19 PM »

Now, I've got some writing to do, so I'm going to jump off-line to work on that and then head back down to hear "London Is London" in Dolby 5.1 sound.

WBBL.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: January 30, 2009, 01:48:48 PM »

MEdia Check:

DVD:  VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA

That just arrived in the mail from NetFlix.

Oh, good. You can watch a lot of 20-something people talk like 70 year-olds. I hate Woody Allen.

I thought the 30-something characters in "VCB" actually talked liked 30-somethings.  It was a nice return to a more "classic" Woody Allen comedy.  -And I will admit to be a bit hesitant about seeing the movie initially since I did not want to be disappointed again, but I'm glad I went, and glad I saw it.

Me, too!  I love Woody Allen, but his last GREAT film was "Hannah and Her Sisters" and the last nearly great was "Bullets Over Broadway."   IMO!  :D

Still....I liked this one but found it disconcerting to hear the young girls expressing themselves in the Woody vernacular perfected by Keaton and Farrow.  I also liked the film he made a few years ago starring himself and Scarlet Johanssen.

Elmo, you're a poop!  :D  I love Kristen Chenoweth, too!  ;D

Woody Allen was up there with Sondheim in 1980, when actors would talk in hushed reverential tones about auditioning for the "new Woody Allen project," but that that was nearly 30 years ago. He's no longer in that class.

As to Ms Chenoweth, she lost me when she sang at the Republican convention. Her problem for me is the insistence of her management to try to convince people she's a leading lady when she's really a very funny character woman. But, she's no leading lady any more than she's a legitimate singer; she needs too much work to get her vocal chops back. She's making a career of fooling people that she's a serious singer. She might have been one 15 years ago when I saw her as a wonderful Luisa in THE FANTASTICKS. Times change. And opinions.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: January 30, 2009, 01:49:11 PM »

Goodbye Mr. Chips, as was the flavor back then, was shot with heavy diffusion, which causes the soft look.  It's always looked that way and always will.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: January 30, 2009, 01:49:43 PM »

There are smiley's available from the Quote box, you add them in Preview!
 :) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8)
der Brucer

So that's the answer.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: January 30, 2009, 01:49:51 PM »

I've written a little over four pages and shall now go do something about lunch.  And hopefully, perhaps there will be a package or three awaiting me at the mail place.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: January 30, 2009, 01:51:29 PM »

Media Mail saved us big bucks on moving from CA - I mailed dozens of very heavy boxes of books, records, LPs, CD's etc. The Media Mail cartons were ready for pick-up when we arrived in DE.

der Brucer

I've had two Media Mail shipments take over seven weeks to be delivered and I think that's outrageous.

td

• td
« Reply #135 on: January 30, 2009, 01:56:26 PM »

I watched a movie on dvd last night, POSTER BOY, starring a friend (I believe) of DR JOSE: Jack Noseworthy.
Not altogether bad, some interesting casting though.  Michael Lerner was a southern bigoted senator running for re-election who gets a rude awakening when his collegiate son comes out in a big way on campus.  Karen Allen plays the long-suffering southern belle wife. 
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #136 on: January 30, 2009, 02:01:15 PM »

BTW, DR RLP, Breakfast at Tiffany's did indeed receive a rather sumptuous studio cast recording several years courtesy of that other Bruce who does OCRs.

I meant with Mary Tyler Moore and Richard Chamberlain...you know, "original" cast.

There's a pretty awful soundboard recording out there.  I'm not sure I have it, but I bet TD does.  ;)

I do indeed have it around here somewhere. . . ;)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #137 on: January 30, 2009, 02:04:15 PM »

I watched a movie on dvd last night, POSTER BOY, starring a friend (I believe) of DR JOSE: Jack Noseworthy.
Not altogether bad, some interesting casting though.  Michael Lerner was a southern bigoted senator running for re-election who gets a rude awakening when his collegiate son comes out in a big way on campus.  Karen Allen plays the long-suffering southern belle wife. 

This is in my Netflix queue. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #138 on: January 30, 2009, 02:09:11 PM »

der Brucer

I've had two Media Mail shipments take over seven weeks to be delivered and I think that's outrageous.

Clearly an exception - heck, parcel post can get lost forever!

der Brucer
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 03:21:52 PM by DERBRUCER »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #139 on: January 30, 2009, 02:12:32 PM »

Um.  No friend of mine.  Not even a "Facebook Friend".  However, a former work colleauge, yes.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: January 30, 2009, 02:15:10 PM »

der Brucer

Clealy an exception - heck, parcel post can get lost for ever!

der Brucer

One's an exception; two's a habit. I'd rather pay for priority and a delivery confirmation.

td

• td
« Reply #141 on: January 30, 2009, 02:35:35 PM »

Um.  No friend of mine.  Not even a "Facebook Friend".  However, a former work colleauge, yes.

I had to telephone Janet last night after the movie, to make sure that I knew Jack's name from LESTAT; she also pointed out that he was part of THE SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 02:37:55 PM by td »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #142 on: January 30, 2009, 02:44:20 PM »

I had to telephone Janet last night after the movie, to make sure that I knew Jack's name from LESTAT; she also pointed out that he was part of THE SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS.

He was also "Mark" in one of the closing companies of the original run A Chorus Line, as well as Jerome Robbins' Broadway.
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #143 on: January 30, 2009, 02:52:39 PM »

. . .and he began his stage career in CATS.

FJL

« Reply #144 on: January 30, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »

Has someone already linked here to this list of the hottest guys in theater, led by Nick Adams? (probably because it's alphabetical, but let's not nitpick)

http://www.afterelton.com/theater/2009/1/37hottestguystheater

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #145 on: January 30, 2009, 03:03:35 PM »

Well I am caught up but donot have much to report.

The Vixter is off to her church retreat.  Vixdad has bought me a humidifier which seems to bring some relief to my throat

I should go have a can of food - just wanted to say Howdy!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #146 on: January 30, 2009, 03:03:56 PM »

Howdy!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom