Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: BUSINESS AS USUAL  (Read 30384 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
BUSINESS AS USUAL
« on: August 17, 2005, 12:06:48 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes have given you the business and vice versa and also versa vice, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home, which will be as soon as they finish doing their business.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 12:12:40 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:BUSINESS AS USUAL
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 12:09:22 AM »

And the word of the day is: PNEUMATIC!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 12:15:21 AM »

[size=9]HAPPY BIRTHDAY S WOODY[/size]
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 12:22:02 AM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 12:25:09 AM »

Favourites:  "The Carousel Waltz".
                    "Bounce"
                     "Cabaret"
                      "She Loves Me"

Act II openers:  Night Waltz (A Little Night Music)
                          When Mabel Comes In The Room   (Mack and Mabel)

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 12:27:33 AM »

I should also add "Applause".
James Thurber 1957

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 02:49:30 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, DR SWW!!!
HAVE A BEAUTIFUL BIRTHDAY WITH DERBRUCER AND DLDS!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 03:20:19 AM »

Thank you all for your thoughts and warm words.

DR Elmore posted yesterday;
DRHisaka, I'm so happy you weren't too close to the earthquake, although the image of you clinging to a huge television is interesting, rather David Cronenberg.
And DR Jennifer posted;
DR Hisaka, glad you are okay.  And I also got a bit of a chuckle (laugh) thinking of you  holding your tv set.

Well, truthfully, I gave a wry smile me(by myself) at the moment….  :-[ My familiar neighbor had been worth. She said she had been holding her TV on the floor with her legs (feet/soles) and a floor lamp with her stretched arms(hands), so… she had lain down on her back on the floor, with looks like Banzai posture. No escape either. :-\
I’ll fasten my TV up on the stand with a special belt and it will make me free to run or to stand under the door frame. :) :-[

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 03:23:03 AM »

DR OZDEREK; Nice to see you and always very glad to hear from you!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 03:23:42 AM »

DR Tpunk, Welcome back!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2005, 03:32:29 AM »

I’m now enjoying “Hybrid” and “Transparencies” from Googlemaps.?It's fabulous and I feel myself a spy on it. ;)  Unfortunately, for Japan, it's still available only with Satillite View and Maps View separately, though.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2005, 03:36:25 AM »

The Bad Sleep Well, I like the title as much as the film itself.

Tomovoz

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2005, 03:44:09 AM »

I was missed last night! Thus good morning DRs ELmore, Ben and Michael. Hello to everyone else who joins later - whilst I sleep.
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2005, 04:12:03 AM »

And the word of the day is: PNEUMATIC!
I think I saw Ron Popiel demonstrate his Gnumatic in an infomercial once.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2005, 04:17:19 AM »

Curmudgeon.  I like that word.  It fits me like a comfortable old glove.  Thank-you, BK!

And thanks to everyone (both already and in advance) for the birthday wishes!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2005, 04:22:35 AM »

I have to admit, when I first read the title The Bad Sleep Well, I didn't realize it was supposed to be a complete sentence.  I thought it was a reference to a place.

I wondered, what the heck is a sleep well?  Is it a place where sleep is kept?  How deep does it have to be?  And what would make a bad sleep well, as opposed to a good sleep well or a light sleep well?  Does a bad sleep well leak?  Or does it have a drain that's clogged, so the sleep can't drain out?

And what about that light sleep well?  Does it have a flashing neon sign right outside, like in some cheap hotel in a film noir?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2005, 04:26:22 AM »

Qualifying for both title song and act-two opener, I'm fond of Company, for both title and for "Side by Side by Side/What Would We Do Without You."

Ben

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2005, 04:27:10 AM »

Happy Day to Mr. White!!!

Ben

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2005, 04:27:35 AM »

Strike Up the Band

Babes in Arms

Anyone Can Whistle

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2005, 05:06:39 AM »

Der Brucer just came in, and gave me the rest of my birthday present, the other six discs of Good Eats.

I'm very pleased that two of the discs are titled "Manly Eats" and "Fruit Fest."

Make of that what you will!   ;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2005, 05:12:05 AM »

Today is Sandcastle Day!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2005, 05:22:56 AM »

I haven't caught up on all of yesterdays notes as yet, but I understand that der B told every one of you that he was taking me out for a drink after work, knowing I would be stressed from the longer-than-usual day.

I wasn't exactly stressed, but I was quite pooped.  So we headed over to Cafe Zeus, mainly because der B was thirsting for a Junipero Martini.  Me, I had a Maker's Mark Manhattan.

Actually, we ended up having two of each.  A raucus crowd of celebrating vacationers came in while we were there, and insisted on buying us a round.

I'm glad we'd put extra quarters in the parking meter before leaving the car!

Afterward we got home, I made us a dinner of chicken breasts, sauteed spinach, and couscous.  And then, quite tired (and knowing I've got to get to work early today) I headed to bed.

And now, I must get to work!

Hopefully, I'll be back later.  But der B has scheduled us to take doggy pics again today.  We'll see what happens.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 06:30:18 PM by S. Woody White »

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2005, 05:30:33 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR S Woody!! Hope your day is full of sunshine and puppies! So, what is derBrucer fixing for YOUR birthday dinner tonight?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2005, 05:36:06 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DR S. Woody White  ! ! ! ! ![/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2005, 05:53:10 AM »

TCB, re last night's comment

Perhaps he has had more practice.   :)

Hmmm, you're probably right, but not as much as you  ;)

Ooops, my bad.

Where did that phrase come from, BTW (by the way)? I hear it all the time now and I know I'm old but I have no clue (or clew). It probably came from some recent movie that I have not seen.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2005, 06:10:02 AM »

TOD:

Favorite Title Tunes (more based on songs that I like to sing more than anything else):
"Oklahoma"
"I Love My Wife"
"They're Playing My (Our) Song"
"Do I Hear A Waltz"
"Guys and Dolls"
"Sweeney Todd, the Demon Barber of Fleet Street"
"Bus and Truck"
"Mame"
"Promises, Promises"
"70 Girls, 70"
"She Loves Me"

Favorite Act Two Openers (only going by shows I actually saw):
"God, That's Good"
"Come Follow the Band"
"The Big Doll House"
"It's Hot Up Here"
"This Plum Is Too Ripe"

« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 06:51:48 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2005, 06:17:40 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
!!!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DRSWW!!!!!!!!
[/move]

Good morning, all!  I finally collapsed:  over 12 hours sleep and a desire to never move again.  So now I'm up, taking a "personal" day and moving very little from the apartment.  I need to go to 65th Street and pick up some orchestrations to be proofed, and I think that will be my day.

TOD:
  Title songs:  Oklahoma
                   Company
                   Applause
                   Anyone Can Whistle
                   Man With a Load of Michief
                   Babes in Arms

2nd Act Openers:  This Plum is Too Ripe
                          It's Hot Up Here
                          Side by Side
                          Showboat (Chicago Exhibition)
                          God, That's Good
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2005, 06:25:52 AM »

Happy Birthday DR SWW!!!!!!!!!!!

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2005, 06:30:51 AM »

Favorite title songs:  Mame, Hello. Dolly, Company, Rent

Favorite Second Act Openers:  Call Back in the Morning, Masquerade, Pharoah's Story, God That's Good

I'm sure there are more.   Faculty retreat today and I just realized my guitar is at church, I think I must try and retreive it before I get to school, or, I'll just use the portable keyboard.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2005, 06:31:13 AM »

I have to admit, when I first read the title The Bad Sleep Well, I didn't realize it was supposed to be a complete sentence.  I thought it was a reference to a place.

I wondered, what the heck is a sleep well?  Is it a place where sleep is kept?  How deep does it have to be?  And what would make a bad sleep well, as opposed to a good sleep well or a light sleep well?  Does a bad sleep well leak?  Or does it have a drain that's clogged, so the sleep can't drain out?

And what about that light sleep well?  Does it have a flashing neon sign right outside, like in some cheap hotel in a film noir?

I suppose that you will read easier if you put a word “men” after The Bad. The Bad Men Sleep Well (now you made it a complete sentence!)
I found another English title, “The Worse You Are, the Better You Sleep”, for the film on IMDb and think this one is quite close to the original title.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up