Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: BACK HOME IN INDIANA AND MY OLD KENTUCKY HOME  (Read 19718 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re: BACK HOME IN INDIANA AND MY OLD KENTUCKY HOME
« Reply #180 on: April 15, 2010, 01:47:55 PM »

OMG!  Lulu's back in town!

Hiya, Lulu!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #181 on: April 15, 2010, 01:49:48 PM »

TOD:

Does Andy Williams count?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #182 on: April 15, 2010, 01:50:14 PM »

I have spent the afternoon playing at the computer, checking blank CDs and DVDs from the McGlinnventory. I did have some good finds that I did not have in my McGlinn performance files: complete performances of BRIGADOON, with Rebecca Luker, Brent Barrett, and Judy Kaye, and HMS PINAFORE from the 1996 City Opera season, Angelina Reaux singing the score for Weill's MARIE GALANTE, McGlinn and Kim Criswell performing "Omaggio a George Gershwin" in Modena, Italy, and two copies of an EMI promo DVD with interviews and bits of sessions from ANYTHING GOES, KISS ME KATE, BRIGADOON, ANNIE GET YOUR GUN, and SHOW BOAT.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #183 on: April 15, 2010, 02:04:47 PM »

Thanks for the update on the do DR LULU.

Have a great time with MR BK and get his visit to Indiana off to a roaring start!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Cillaliz

« Reply #184 on: April 15, 2010, 02:07:43 PM »

The more and more I see the neighbors' cat, the more I'm convinced he thinks he's a dog. He's enjoying being out in the rain right now. And he loves rolling over to have his belly petted. He also comes when he's called. I've never seen these charateristics in a feline before. 

I'm sure the cat knows he's not a dog. :)  My cats like their tummies rubbed, especially Boo

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #185 on: April 15, 2010, 02:09:08 PM »

I must hop off-line now and get some writing done. Then it's back downstairs to finish TOMBSTONE's bonus features and then enjoy some leisure TV viewing.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #186 on: April 15, 2010, 02:09:19 PM »

Oh, rats!

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #187 on: April 15, 2010, 02:11:51 PM »

DR Elmore, as the executor of the McGlinnventory, are you familiar with his CD of Rodgers and Hart tunes with Fredericka von Stade? Saw it for sale today and thought I'd ask before picking it up. I have recordings of most of the songs, but really like her lineup, especially "Moon of My Delight" from my favorite castration musical, "Chee-Chee."
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #188 on: April 15, 2010, 02:13:44 PM »

Lunch started late and ran very long, so when I got in, I didn't have time to do anything except watch TOMBSTONE. It has a simply brilliant cast of actors. Val Kilmer steals every scene as Doc Holiday in what must be his best-ever film performance. I didn't even remember Dana Delany being in this. But all these actors who have gone on to great fame pop up in fairly small roles (Thomas Haden Church, Jason Priestley, Jon Tenney). Just marvelous.

I don't usually care much for Cosmatos as a director, but he does a professional job here.

I still don't think this holds a candle to Costner's WYATT EARP or MY DARLING CLEMENTINE (which has a lot of fictional elements to it but is such a classic.)

And speaking of Kevin Costner...EXCLUSIVE: Dances With Wolves, the Musical, Is On the Horizon.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #189 on: April 15, 2010, 02:15:06 PM »

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/news/local/article_7b0149f2-f094-510a-97da-b18c69b62bdd.html

Tonight I'm going to the placard hearings to see if we can save some old buildings that the city wants to tear down.
Hopefully we can at least save the synagogue.  I hear it really isn't in that bad of shape

They Kill Dogs, They Kill Pigeons, They Tear Down Houses.....They are the City Council....run for your lives

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #190 on: April 15, 2010, 02:33:29 PM »

DR Elmore, as the executor of the McGlinnventory, are you familiar with his CD of Rodgers and Hart tunes with Fredericka von Stade? Saw it for sale today and thought I'd ask before picking it up. I have recordings of most of the songs, but really like her lineup, especially "Moon of My Delight" from my favorite castration musical, "Chee-Chee."

I'm not really the executor; I didn't want the position and turned it down twice. I am working with the executor since I was one of McGlinn's closest friends until our 2002 fallout. I'm running on guilt. 

I love the von Stade Rodgers & Hart album; It's one of my favorites. I have half a chart on it for "You're Nearer,"  but it's jampacked with wonderful songs and fantastically inventive arrangements:  the celesta part in the glorious "Moon of my Delight" is a delight, and "If I Were You," with its backup Nightingale Chorus can always cheer me right up.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #191 on: April 15, 2010, 02:34:22 PM »

Wow!  The Baptists lost the synagogue in the dee-vorce.

Interesting article DR CILLA LIZ...vibes to save some of the buildings.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #192 on: April 15, 2010, 02:35:31 PM »

Sounds like a "yes buy it" from DR ELMORE to me, DR JOHNG.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #193 on: April 15, 2010, 02:37:08 PM »

I liked the GLEE episode last night.

I liked Finn's "Hello I Love You" very much....

Television is NOT Idina's friend....but she was excellent as usual....I am already getting a bit bored with Will's romance with what's her name......but it already had some interesting potential.

And of course Jane's Madonna was inspired.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #194 on: April 15, 2010, 02:37:11 PM »

And the actual novel "The Son of the Grand Eunuch" is even more bizarre and very much like Voltaire's CANDIDE! I still don't know how they ever thought there was a musical in it. I sort of feel the same about CANDIDE, although I think it's a brilliant score.

Damn! My Angelina Reaux CD of MARIE GALANTE will not download.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #195 on: April 15, 2010, 02:37:24 PM »

And that's how Sue - C's It.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #196 on: April 15, 2010, 02:38:09 PM »

Television is NOT Idina's friend....

I thought ENCHANTED proved that film wasn't either!

Ginny

« Reply #197 on: April 15, 2010, 02:39:08 PM »

OK, I'm off to eat dinner with my family, then host my book group...bye for now!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

« Reply #198 on: April 15, 2010, 02:47:53 PM »

Sounds like a "yes buy it" from DR ELMORE to me, DR JOHNG.
Yes, it does. Will likely pick it up this weekend. Again, another $3.98 find.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #199 on: April 15, 2010, 02:48:53 PM »

Lunch started late and ran very long, so when I got in, I didn't have time to do anything except watch TOMBSTONE. It has a simply brilliant cast of actors. Val Kilmer steals every scene as Doc Holiday in what must be his best-ever film performance. I didn't even remember Dana Delany being in this. But all these actors who have gone on to great fame pop up in fairly small roles (Thomas Haden Church, Jason Priestley, Jon Tenney). Just marvelous.

I don't usually care much for Cosmatos as a director, but he does a professional job here.

I still don't think this holds a candle to Costner's WYATT EARP or MY DARLING CLEMENTINE (which has a lot of fictional elements to it but is such a classic.)

And speaking of Kevin Costner...EXCLUSIVE: Dances With Wolves, the Musical, Is On the Horizon.
I hope they cut the running length by a few days.
― Voltaire

Jennifer

« Reply #200 on: April 15, 2010, 03:10:26 PM »

Can't wait to read this one myself. I was 94 among reservations at the library yesterday (about of 30 copies). And the movie of "Dragon Tattoo" opens here Friday.

I won't be able to see what place i am in for a reservation until the book comes out in may.

re: the movie opening on friday. Which version is it?

Is it this one:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1132620/

I saw this one in french with french subtitles.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #201 on: April 15, 2010, 03:11:24 PM »

The last time I flew (in January) my liquids/gels were all tested for explosives.

How do they do that & did they ruin your liquids & gels?

Jennifer

« Reply #202 on: April 15, 2010, 03:13:45 PM »

DR Matt H, I agree with your comments about Human Target & the guest cast.  As for Modern Family, while they all make me laugh, Cam for his exuberance makes me laugh the most.

We were disappointed with GLEE.  As much as we enjoyed the Vogue thing at the end we had no idea what it was for, not that I'm complaining.

It what ways were you disappointed in GLEE? The Vogue thing is just a preview for next week's Madonna show, where it should make sense.

Jennifer

« Reply #203 on: April 15, 2010, 03:15:09 PM »

re: the finale of UGLY BETTY

Hmmm...

Just watched the final episode of "Ugly Betty" online...

Hmmm....

What did you think of it? I stayed up late to watch it last night. I thought most of it was very good and satisfying. I'm just not sure how i feel about the very end with betty and daniel. I think a lot of people feel this way.

Jennifer

« Reply #204 on: April 15, 2010, 03:22:39 PM »

DR John G, that is a good number of people under one library system.

That is a crazy amount of people to me.  In Montreal we have a different library system for every suburb.

I"m guessing we will probably get 5 copies of the book (the 3rd Millenium book) for a population of 50K. I'm hoping i will be first or second since i requested the book a long time ago.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #205 on: April 15, 2010, 03:26:41 PM »

Val Kilmer steals every scene as Doc Holiday in what must be his best-ever film performance.

Just a warm-up for parting the Red Sea.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jennifer

« Reply #206 on: April 15, 2010, 03:29:44 PM »

re: GLEE this week

Television is NOT Idina's friend....but she was excellent as usual....I am already getting a bit bored with Will's romance with what's her name......but it already had some interesting potential.

And of course Jane's Madonna was inspired.

I liked this week's show. I liked idina menzel. I liked jonathan groff a lot.  My one big complaint would be with how they wrote matthew morrison's character.  I did not think that his character would make out with idina.  He just started dating red-head. I thought their "hello again" dance was really romantic. And then she won't sleep with him after one date and then all of a sudden he's telling idina's character that things weren't working out. I think the advice she gave him to get to know himself was good. But i really did not care for the writers having him make out with her before she told him that.  HE had been pining for emma for the entire series. I jjust found his actions really lame. I was glad she also told him to take some time.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #207 on: April 15, 2010, 03:30:31 PM »

DR John G, that is a good number of people under one library system.
San Antonio has only one library system, and it is the seventh largest city in the nation. And people do use the library system -- a lot. My neighborhood branch is sometimes so busy I have a hard time finding a parking space.
But the libraries here are also different from most places I've lived. They are occasionally built next to parks or hiking trails, then landscaped so that you want to check out the books, then take a walk through the wildflowers or let the kids play on the swings, etc. It's a little more of a community center, and it has a lot of programs for kids, so you'll see plenty of families taking advantage.

Sounds nice.  Are dogs allowed on the walks?  When we moved here we used to take Echo into the library.  Once they passed the no dogs rule I stopped going.  When I began using the library again it had been so long my card had expired.

BTW, we have a Carnegie library.  I attempted to find a photo of the original library which has since been added on to.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #209 on: April 15, 2010, 03:37:32 PM »

I hope they cut the running length by a few days.

Not bloody well likely:

He [Matt Murphy, who has acquired the stage rights to Michael Blake's 1986 book] called Dances With Wolves, the musical, "an epic dramatic musical." A large cast and expansive design elements are envisioned.

"There is no way to do Dances With Wolves, which is essentially a Western on stage, without it being spectacular and epic in scope," Murphy said.

::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Up