Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Down

Author Topic: I DREAM OF CHURROS  (Read 39977 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:I DREAM OF CHURROS
« Reply #390 on: December 17, 2007, 08:36:07 PM »

I have some writing to work on now, so I'll log off for now.

Good night!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #391 on: December 17, 2007, 08:36:41 PM »

Elmore and/or Jose, are there any choral sheet music stores in NYC that mght have a fairly recent, though apparently OOP, orchestral packet to go with a choral octavo by Hal Hopson based on Lord of the Dance?  It was originally published by Gray in 1996, but when they went belly up the choral octavo got transferred to Alfred while the accompanying orchestral parts, well, went nowhere.  I have the choral parts, I just want the orchestral parts and I really don't want to have to notate them all myself from the conductor's score.  Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Cillaliz

« Reply #392 on: December 17, 2007, 08:37:47 PM »

Went to see Obama tonight. It really iritates me when a politician says he didn't vote for something when he didn't vote against it either.

Anyway, I'm really burned out on all the politics, but I was at the office and he was speaking down the hall, so I went. I can't wait for the next 17 days to be over. Then they will all leave us.  I will be able to let commercials run without hitting mute, I will be able to get the mail without almost all if it being political flyers. I will be able to answer the phone again, without it being the 6th call from Obama's phone bank that day....It's been about a year and a half since they started bugging us....peace will come on January 4...... I can't wait.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #393 on: December 17, 2007, 08:39:23 PM »

Elmore and/or Jose, are there any choral sheet music stores in NYC that mght have a fairly recent, though apparently OOP, orchestral packet to go with a choral octavo by Hal Hopson based on Lord of the Dance?  It was originally published by Gray in 1996, but when they went belly up the choral octavo got transferred to Alfred while the accompanying orchestral parts, well, went nowhere.  I have the choral parts, I just want the orchestral parts and I really don't want to have to notate them all myself from the conductor's score.  Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Is Carl Fischer in the East Village by Cooper Union still open? I haven't been down there in over ten years. I usually go to sheetmusicplus.com when I'm looking for something but even they aren't always as helpful as I'd like.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #394 on: December 17, 2007, 08:40:13 PM »

Page Fourteen Harry and Ron Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #395 on: December 17, 2007, 08:41:02 PM »

Now I'm REALLY leaving!  ;D

Good night!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #396 on: December 17, 2007, 08:50:12 PM »

Good Evening!

WOW!

The Beethoven, the Schumann, the Ravel(!), and the Balakirev pieces were played beautifully tonight by Yefim Bronfman.  I thoroughly enjoyed the recital.  Oh, and the Encores - some Schumann and the last movement of the Prokofiev Seventh Piano Sonata were wonderful too.

I really could go on and on, piece by piece, movement by movement, note by note... Instead, I just want to keep enjoying what I heard tonight, rather than analyzing it.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #397 on: December 17, 2007, 08:50:43 PM »

I doubt at that age I could have resisted those smooth halls.  They didn't do any damage to the school.

Maybe Elementary schools should post a sign:

NO CHILDISH BEHAVIOR ALLOWED

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #398 on: December 17, 2007, 08:57:44 PM »

And, as an added bonus, it turned out Mr. Bronfman was doing a CD signing after his recital.  And I guess having a CD signing after a Monday night concert on a cold December night helped to "control" the crowd.  -I think even the Carnegie Hall staff were sort of surprised that there weren't more people waiting in line up in the Rose Museum.

And the Carnegie Hall Shop is in the middle of their pre-Christmas sale, so the new-ish double-CD set of Mr. Bronfman was only $20.  Tax included ;).
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #399 on: December 17, 2007, 09:00:27 PM »

Edi...

Thank you for the DVD it was wonderful!! I got all teary when OzDerek came on screen, how wonderful of you to include him!

The Vixter was so proud that her phone call made it to the DVD

What's all this talk about a hidden track?
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

DERBRUCER

« Reply #400 on: December 17, 2007, 09:01:45 PM »

Many many things one would never think of can be used as weapons and can do great damage.

True:

Girl's High Heel Shoes
Drum Majorette Batons
Trumpets
Fountain Pen (fatal if properly jabbed into an eye)
Belts with buckles
Hearty Hair Ribbons (make a nice garrote)

Shall we ban them all from the schools?

Is a Little Leaguer prohibited from storing his bat in his Middle School locker?

der Brucer

Maybe I should publish: [b]101 Deadly Weapons You Can Make From School Supplies[/b]

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #401 on: December 17, 2007, 09:03:26 PM »

Lovely decorations Ginny!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #402 on: December 17, 2007, 09:04:23 PM »

I was also pleasantly surprised at how well-behaved tonight's audience was.  No cell phones went off - well, not until the encores started.  Although, the amount of "Roses of Picardy" perfume wafting through the air was quite stifling. ;)

And I'm still amazed at how "uneducated" some audience members can be at times.  The group of "ladies who lunch" who sat behind me were quite "entertaining" before the recital as they scrutinized the program for tonight.  They just could not understand why he would put the "worst" music at the end of the recital.  Worst music?!?!?!  They had issues with an opera that had attended last week: "There were too many countertenors on stage."  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #403 on: December 17, 2007, 09:05:09 PM »

We're hoping she'll make some to go with our ham.

As in DH Richard on stage in The Brain?

der Brucer
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 09:14:27 PM by DERBRUCER »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #404 on: December 17, 2007, 09:05:26 PM »

Oh... And the guy who sat next to my left was very attractive too.  ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #405 on: December 17, 2007, 09:06:53 PM »

Even in the winter months he can still be seen, on occasion, working in his yard sans shirt. It's like having Colt Studios right across the street.

ROTFLMAO!!!!

*Next time, take pictures.  Or at least bring him a cup of hot cocoa... Which you can then conveniently spill on him.  "Oh, let me help you out of those wet clothes..."

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #406 on: December 17, 2007, 09:08:39 PM »

Vibes to Edisaurus

Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #407 on: December 17, 2007, 09:10:43 PM »

Is Carl Fischer in the East Village by Cooper Union still open? I haven't been down there in over ten years. I usually go to sheetmusicplus.com when I'm looking for something but even they aren't always as helpful as I'd like.

Carl Fischer closed a couple of years ago, a couple of months after Carl Fischer Publishing was incorporated into Boosey & Hawkes.  -Which is now part of the Hal Leonard family.  -It's amazing how many music publishers have folded over the past couple of years.  Basically, right now, there's only two or three music publishers who control the catalogs of a lot of smaller companies.

In any case, there's no real choral music store in NYC right now.  Most people use sheetmusicplus.com or Pepper.
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #408 on: December 17, 2007, 09:13:24 PM »

This zero tolerance bit has gotten ridiculous.  I wonder if the Administrators at that elementary school who had the police drag off a kid for using a knife appropriately have any common sense at all.  There has to be someone in charghe who has the abilitya nd the authority to turn their brain on and make a reasonable decision.  

Why couldn't the knife have simply been confiscated, the parents called and asked to only supply precut steak and/or plastic knives it the future  and explain to the girl that certain items have to be left at home for safety's sake...

Now she has been humilated, she has a 10 day suspension in her permanent record and should she actually do some "real" rule breaking  in her later years, cut classes, graffitti.. whatever she will suddenly be a repeat offender.    

I also wonder if that elementary school, as the Vixter's did, requires that each child be armed, supplied with a scissor and a compass...(the geometry kind not the naviagational kind) both potential weapons that were carried around in backpacks daily    
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 09:13:57 PM by vixmom »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #409 on: December 17, 2007, 09:13:59 PM »

Have you checked directly with Alfred?  A lot of publishers are starting to print things "on demand" since a lot of their holdings are "in the computer".  Both Carl Fischer and Boosey used to do that a lot with a lot of their less popular titles.

I'd also check with some of the high school choral discussion boards.  See if you can loan one from someone.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 09:15:04 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #410 on: December 17, 2007, 09:14:50 PM »

But DR Jose, he is usually only wearing a pair of cargo shorts and hiking boots....I don't want to burn the guy!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #411 on: December 17, 2007, 09:15:53 PM »

But DR Jose, he is usually only wearing a pair of cargo shorts and hiking boots....I don't want to burn the guy!

Well, then just bring him a glass of water.  :)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 09:16:14 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #412 on: December 17, 2007, 09:16:51 PM »

True:

Girl's High Heel Shoes
Drum Majorette Batons
Trumpets
Fountain Pen (fatal if properly jabbed into an eye)
Belts with buckles
Hearty Hair Ribbons (make a nice garrote)

Shall we ban them all from the schools?

Is a Little Leaguer prohibited from storing his bat in his Middle School locker?

der Brucer

Maybe I should publish: [b]101 Deadly Weapons You Can Make From School Supplies[/b]

I still have the mark in my thigh where a sharp pencil stabbed me , (right through my jeans) during high school

(it was an accident... crocheted handbags were all the rage and the halls were very crowded )

MBarnum

« Reply #413 on: December 17, 2007, 09:17:03 PM »

DR JMK, I do indeed have memories of Measure 9...sometimes it is almost hard to believe that it ever was seriously considered.

And whatever did happen to Lon Mabon???

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #414 on: December 17, 2007, 09:19:19 PM »

DR JMK - You could also use one of those Score Scanning programs...  *I'd also just Google for MIDI files.  When Steve does his rehearsal CDs for the Richmond Choral Society and Men's Chorus, he finds a lot of files on the web.  They're not perfect, but they save him a lot of data/note entry time.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #415 on: December 17, 2007, 09:20:16 PM »

Patti bellowing her way through a legit mezzo part! I'm surprised the Kurt Weill Foundation allowed it to be released for broadcast. Since it's a Doyle production, is she playing the tuba again?

No but she sure ate her fill of the scenery! (Appropriately)

SPOILER ALERT

I was heard to mutter..."One more God Damn kick line and I'll scream!"

der Brucer

vixmom

« Reply #416 on: December 17, 2007, 09:20:48 PM »

Frozen hot chocolate ?  I am sure Jose knows the recipe.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #417 on: December 17, 2007, 09:20:50 PM »

Edi,

Thank you for the DVD!

You did a beautiful job!

vixmom

« Reply #418 on: December 17, 2007, 09:21:46 PM »

oh... another hour gone!

Good night all!!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #419 on: December 17, 2007, 09:26:20 PM »

Goodnight, DR vixmom!

*And I say send out the calendars - the calendars may not "work", but the pictures should still be nice to look at.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Up