Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NOTES THAT HAD NO PITHY OR ERUDITE THINGS  (Read 9868 times)

FJL

Re: THE NOTES THAT HAD NO PITHY OR ERUDITE THINGS
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2012, 11:18:51 AM »

Page 3

FJL

« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2012, 11:22:29 AM »

I just got a lovely email:

"Your E-mail Address just won £1,000,000.00 GBP Contact Sir Harold Matthew"

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2012, 11:34:39 AM »

I guess not.

Don't feel bad, I'm still waiting for an answer to my DC questions.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2012, 11:35:09 AM »

Druxy, I just got an email from one of Roger Corman's PR people.  Do you know about this?:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/Cormansworld/

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2012, 11:38:24 AM »

What a lovely day at school.  <yawn>. Have my mini recorder class at the end of the school day so that's something to look forward to.  First thing we learned was "rest position", it comes in handy.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2012, 12:41:53 PM »

If Hammer was still cranking out vampire films, you could have picked up a few days work as an extra.

Hammer is actually back in business, with that new Daniel Radcliffe WOMAN IN BLACK film.

The Debbie Reynolds HAMMER Scopitone comes to mind for some reason

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng2Ls4OA2k4

That opening few seconds of "choreography" brings to mind the word "dysentery".  ;)

Oh, my. Oh, my, my. It's the first time I ever thought of "love between your brothers and your sisters" in such a familiaritas kinda way. Ick.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2012, 12:43:40 PM »

It took me most of the morning to type up all of my notes on "I Beg Your Pardon." I guess I will get to the taxes tomorrow.
I just put on a couple of short ribs to braise. I think that's all I'm good for for the rest of the day. Thankfully, they cook for close to two hours.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 12:55:39 PM by John G. »
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2012, 01:00:59 PM »

This afternoon's feature: TV version of "Hansel and Gretel" with songs by Alec Wilder and dances from Onna White. The video quality isn't great, but the sound is. And Stubby Kaye is the narrator. And the Rexall commercials are there, too.
― Voltaire

JMK

« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2012, 01:05:32 PM »

Got a fun compilation of some of Walter Wanderley's original Brasilian sides from the late fifties.  Liner notes were hilarious--Walter evidently signed a huge deal with Holiday Inn in the late sixties to be their featured "lounge act," where he was going to tour from Holiday Inn to Holiday Inn.  Unfortunately at his opening show he got so drunk he passed out on his organ by the third set and Holiday Inn pulled the plug on the tour.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2012, 02:13:10 PM »

Unfortunately at his opening show he got so drunk he passed out on his organ by the third set and Holiday Inn pulled the plug on the tour.

Is that a euphemism?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

John G.

« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2012, 02:33:19 PM »

And there's no euphemism in the following cooking demonstration, Eat the Meat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLcl2qOgGUU
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2012, 02:44:33 PM »

I am back from the revival of HOW TO SUCCEED, which I really enjoyed. I don't know Nick Jonas from Menudo, but he is really quite wonderful as Finch. I adored Beau Bridges who made mw smile every tme he appeared, and I loved his "chipmunk" bit. Michael Urie is really funny as Frump, and I was thinking what a good Cornelius he would be in HELLO DOLLY! if he follows the career of Charles Nelsob Reilly. My friend Ellen Harvey was a hoot as Miss Jones, and in the pit I saw my friends Scott Kuney and Grace Paradise. Larruy Goldberg, who was the MNYMF MD for "The Brain From Planet X" led the tiny but mighty band.

Whil I'm not a great fan of the director's over-choreographed numbers. and he really blew the use of the kazoos in "I Believe In You," I thought this revival head and shoulders over the one with Matthew Broderick.

Now I want to see it again.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 03:15:28 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2012, 03:45:43 PM »

DR elmore I'm glad the show made you so happy. :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2012, 03:46:22 PM »

Uh oh....slow day at HHW.

Thanks for the report DR ELMORE.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JMK

« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2012, 03:52:02 PM »

Unfortunately at his opening show he got so drunk he passed out on his organ by the third set and Holiday Inn pulled the plug on the tour.

Is that a euphemism?

If it is, it's delightfully ineffective.   ;D

JMK

« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2012, 03:56:59 PM »

The liner notes were hilarious, saying that Walter's second set was written mostly by Johnnie Walker and that his head literally flopped down on the keyboard during the third, and that he was out cold for the rest of the night.  Somewhat horrifyingly, two of the "Cy" sisters from Quarteto em Cy (AKA The Girls from Bahia) had been flown up to sing with him, and they evidently were left standing there, mouths agape.

John G.

« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2012, 04:25:11 PM »

The liner notes were hilarious, saying that Walter's second set was written mostly by Johnnie Walker and that his head literally flopped down on the keyboard during the third, and that he was out cold for the rest of the night.  Somewhat horrifyingly, two of the "Cy" sisters from Quarteto em Cy (AKA The Girls from Bahia) had been flown up to sing with him, and they evidently were left standing there, mouths agape.
Get you can't just improvise a graceful exit after something like that.
― Voltaire

KevinH

« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2012, 04:31:29 PM »

DR elmore--I'm glad you enjoyed How to Succeed.   I'd like to see it again, especially for Michael Urie.  I figured he'd be perfect in that role.

John G.

« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2012, 04:37:01 PM »

Elmore, glad you enjoyed the show. I love the piece, but I've hate the choreography on the three numbers I've seen so far from this production.

I really enjoyed Ralph Macchio in the national tour of the Des McAnuf production, despite the fact that the projections did not work during the first act. 
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2012, 04:37:06 PM »

Page THREE?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2012, 04:37:15 PM »

That will NOT do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2012, 04:39:05 PM »

Some termite people are coming to see if they need to do something.  Because we have some rotted wood, that's a very good idea.  I guess when they re-fi the house has to be in good shape to get those good rates.  So, the window stuff will get fixed, trees will be trimmed, and if they find termites, I suppose they'll tent the house.  If they need to do the latter, I'll suggest March 10 through 13, since I'll be in NY on those days.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2012, 05:01:43 PM »

Elmore, glad you enjoyed the show. I love the piece, but I've hate the choreography on the three numbers I've seen so far from this production.

I really enjoyed Ralph Macchio in the national tour of the Des McAnuf production, despite the fact that the projections did not work during the first act. 

I don't know the director at all, but i think he's overrated and limited in talent; I would swear that after two numbers all the staging looked similar and what bothers me is the fact that he doesn't trust actors and singers to do their work without dragging in the important folk, the ones who move. In the great Act One Finale ("suddenly there is music in the sound of your name"), he can't let Finch and Rosemary do the number without dragging in all of the dancers to prance around. He needs a star with clout to turn on him and ask in rehearsal, do you want me to sing this number or do you want me to leave so all these unnecessary dancers can prance around on my moment?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2012, 05:18:10 PM »

The coffee break number, or a snippet from it, is the new clip on BlueGobo.com and the sexuality in the dance is awfully misplaced. The jitteriness is funny, but the body contortions seem to have nothing to do with the song or that moment in the show.
― Voltaire

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2012, 05:19:15 PM »

I've had a subconjunctival haemorrhage! A broken blood vessel in the eye.  I had one about 30 years ago and that time I flew into a panic and rushed to the hospital where they told me it's one of those things which happen for no obvious reason and is not serious - it takes about a week for the eye to clear.  It doesn't look pleasant though. Now, where are my dark glasses?

~~~Eye Vibes for DR Doug R!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

John G.

« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2012, 05:19:45 PM »

I think I hit an Elmore trifecta tonight. Watched the Lonny Price-directed "Sweeney Todd" with Patti LuPone and Victoria Clark.

I can't remember what you think of Patti, but I know your opinions of Lonny and Ms. Clark.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2012, 05:38:09 PM »

Well, a few more.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2012, 05:38:29 PM »

Two ...
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2012, 05:38:37 PM »

One ...
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up