Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THERE IS NOTHING LIKE A SUCCESSFUL INSTALLATION  (Read 20944 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THERE IS NOTHING LIKE A SUCCESSFUL INSTALLATION
« Reply #120 on: January 03, 2004, 01:37:51 PM »

And my last three.  The Chicago Theater in - where else - Chicago, when we saw Mr Donny Osmond in
Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

Sister Molly at said theatre:

And sister Molly and me (a Kaye Ballard reference) at one and the same:

I tried to make all of my photos today small enough that they weren't a trial for some DR's!  ;D

THE END!!!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2004, 01:38:58 PM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #121 on: January 03, 2004, 01:47:25 PM »

MBarnum: I love that pic of your niece and baby. I want one :)

And your cat has yellow eyes!

DR Danise feel better!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #122 on: January 03, 2004, 01:51:17 PM »

I spent this afternoon watching GASLIGHT. Hadn't watched it in ages, and Ingrid Bergman is SO wonderful in it. Classy production. Has anyone ever seen ANGEL STREET on the stage?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #123 on: January 03, 2004, 01:53:39 PM »

BK can't wait to hear more about la dish.

Also, how come you didn't show us a picture of YOUR house. I'd like to see it.

MBarnum

« Reply #124 on: January 03, 2004, 01:57:06 PM »

Ha, ha Jennifer, Freddy's eyes always turn out strange in pictures....he actually has beautiful baby blues!

Hey, some very suave pictures of DR JRand53! And you cardboard friends seems to be looking very deeply into your eyes!

Ann, do post a pic of little Shy...I have no aversion to rats or mice!

TD- you are to be congratulated on such a striking dog...Siberian Huskie is the type of dog I have longed to own!

Sandra, your giganta-cat is adorable! I love big cat's...fun to cuddle with!

BK you live on a lovely street! I noticed many, many cute neighborhoods in North Hollywood and, go figure, Beverly Hills! LOL!

Done running errands...snow is getting ready to fall I fear! Must eat some lunch (cold fried chicken, orange, banana) and watch a movie. Then ready myself to interview Mr. Frank Griffin, brother of Debra Paget and Lisa Gaye and star of TEENAGE CRIME WAVE and THE GIANT CLAW.

Tomovoz

« Reply #125 on: January 03, 2004, 01:58:46 PM »

Another of those mornings where I "refresh" the page a few times and there are no new posts. THEN I eventually realise that the world has moved on to a new page!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #126 on: January 03, 2004, 02:01:28 PM »

DRTOM don't you hate it when that happens.  LOL DRMBARNUM....thanks.  DRMATTH I liked Spider Woman as well.  Never saw ANGEL STREET onstage, but I have read the script!

Jed

« Reply #127 on: January 03, 2004, 02:11:17 PM »

Sandra - Love your new picture! :D

Brrr... It is downright cold here in the inland Northwest.  I don't think we've broken 20 degrees in a couple days, we're supposed to go subzero the next couple nights, and Monday's forecasted HIGH is only 4 degrees (that's -15 for our Canuckistan friends, down to -20ish at night)!  Just another January in eastern Washington.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2004, 02:14:37 PM by Jed »
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #128 on: January 03, 2004, 02:13:05 PM »

"Kiss Of the Spider Woman" - one of my favourite theatrical experiences.  The perfect blend of strong story and appropriate songs. I really think it would make a superb movie.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #129 on: January 03, 2004, 02:14:52 PM »

I have a feeling we're living in a fool's paradise here. After the balmy temperatures for the last two or three weeks and almost no rain, our forecast calls for ice storms next week! The last one of those we had (last winter) knocked out power for about 2 million homes.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: January 03, 2004, 02:19:52 PM »

Atilla is drilling - or should that be Attila is driling?  In any case, the hun is wiring and drilling and moving things around and I do hope no wires get pulled out of anything because that means the Wiring Man would have to come here and that wouldn't be so much fun for either one of us.

Jed

« Reply #131 on: January 03, 2004, 02:25:25 PM »

My goodness, the Karma Fairies have been at work the last couple days.  I'm feeling quite karmalicious!  Thanks much!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #132 on: January 03, 2004, 02:31:18 PM »

Time to sign off for a while - electrical storm has arrived. Dog pacifying and protecting the computer are priorities for a while.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2004, 02:32:03 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #133 on: January 03, 2004, 02:36:21 PM »

Dog Pacifier
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: January 03, 2004, 02:43:03 PM »

Atilla is still banging and drilling and moving.  Someday soon I hope to turn on the TV and see images.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #135 on: January 03, 2004, 02:45:48 PM »

Any minute now.....................
« Last Edit: January 03, 2004, 02:52:32 PM by JRand53 »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #136 on: January 03, 2004, 02:54:26 PM »

Don't get me wrong, for the most part I enjoyed the Hell out of Return of the King, but as for the tears...I thought far too many flowed on the screen.  Every time I turned around someone somewhere was turning on the waterworks.  I really thought I'd scream, if I saw one more tear trickle down yet another grimey cheek.  I agree with Frank Capra: "I used to think drama was when the hero cried; it's when the audience cries."  I think there are very effective weeping scenes, but they must always be used in restraint.  My credo is the Frank Loesser quote on my post:  "The heart must bleed; not slobber."  It's a fine line that must be walked between genuine sentiment and cheap, easy sentimentality.  Anger and tears are always the easiest emotions for actors to access and some folks just go to the well too often.  I think in Return of the King could have been a little less moist.   I think they also could have chosen from about three or for endings they had...I felt like we were getting epilogue after epilogue.  When the bad guy's destroyed, the movie's over folks, get the big birds in there and our heroes out of there and wrap up everything nice and tidily, let's not dribble on with four or five more scenes.

I too am looking forward to the extended version of RETURN OF THE KING, then I want to watch all three extended-version parts in sequence and see how it all shakes down.  But, hey, I've enjoyed it...I think I still liked the first part best so far...more character, more mystery, everything better blended, we also lost a powerful character too early...Sean Bean was wonderful.

Tomovoz...I've seen Fairy Tale (or is it Faery Tale?) with Peter O'Toole (one of my favourite actors) as Conan Doyle and found it immensely enjoyable.  Having become sort of a Conan Doyle authority when I did my Sherlock Holmes films (and having met his last surviving daughter), I was somewhat familiar with the story and have a book entitled The Coming of the Fairies by Doyle, relating the incident about which the movie is based.  It's hard to imagine that anyone could have been fooled by such blatantly phony photographs.  It's quite interesting that Doyle, who created a character famous for his reasoned, deductive logic, was later taken in by frauds like this and various spiritualists and psychics.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #137 on: January 03, 2004, 03:00:48 PM »

Matt H...Ingrid Bergman is wonderful in practically everything she does.  I've not seen Angel Street on stage, but I've performed it, the Charles Boyer role.  The play is a bit different than the movie...The detective does not become a romantic interest.  

My review:  "Charles Pogue stars as Mr. Manningham...in a fine portrayal."

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #138 on: January 03, 2004, 03:13:12 PM »

[size="5"]I'm Back![/size]

(Well, for now, anyway.)

Of course, it was difficult getting here, having been bitch-slapped silly by BK's lovely daughter.  But at least it is good to hear that she is perhaps the only person to have found her way out of the corn, where she was sent a couple of years ago by Billy Mumy, as I understand it.

I won't bore you with my troubles--they bore me enough as is--but I will just say that it has grieved me deeply of late not to be chatting with the most wonderful people in the world on the most jiggy web site in human history.  I haven't even been reading, and lo! I have not even read today's posts yet.  But as we were moaning and groaning over the inhumanity of the universe and other topics today, my Joe said he would not tolerate my continued absence from this here place.  So here I am.

Among my meæ cuplæ is not having thanked all of you great folks for my birthday wishes some two weeks and a year ago.  So here you are:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Thank all of y'all for the wonderful birthday wishes![/move]  
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]You're the greatest, guys![/move]
 [move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D[/move]

Topic of The Day:

CD Player:  Deborah Downey, Here's to Life.  She has been winning Cabaret awards in LA, and I am sure Dear Reader Donna of Cabaret West knows her.  Anyone else?

VCR:  Reign of Fire, a really excellent film with Christian Bole, about Dragons--and my Joe loves dragons--having taken over most of the modern world and an intrepid bunch of Limeys--aided by some Yanks--who set out to kill the one male dragon.  Wonderful to see, in this day and age that a fantasy can still be filmed that is based on writing, characters, and cinematography rather than just cartoonish digital effects.

DVD Player:  Leslie Stevens' Incubus with, yes, William Shatner.  I am hoping to transcribe the entire Esperanto text for use in my class next fall--no mean feat with Shatner's execrable pronunciation.  Well, at least he never strikes the patented Shatner Agony Pose in the entire movie.

Book Shelf:  Ethan Mordent[sic!]'s One Last Kiss.  A fun read, very informative, with perhaps a mite too much vitriole, but hey, what good is mustard without a bit of a bite?
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #139 on: January 03, 2004, 03:19:43 PM »

Is that THE William F Orr?

Tomovoz

« Reply #140 on: January 03, 2004, 03:20:58 PM »

A pleasant New Year's surprise. Welcome back WFO and (Non Reader) Joe.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2004, 03:21:30 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #141 on: January 03, 2004, 03:28:40 PM »

Thnaks td for the photographic reminder. It's on the shopping list. Storm has passed by. Night times are worse as is the light show. Nancy Sinatra would not be referring to Fosca when she sang about "Lightning's Girl"
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #142 on: January 03, 2004, 03:29:59 PM »

Thanks for your thoughts on Fairies Mr Pogue. I still believe. But then I live in that world.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: January 03, 2004, 03:30:54 PM »

Attila tells me he's almost done - he made a couple of boo boos despite my telling him to be careful - he accidentally unplugged all the cables from the DVD player, but he put them back where they belonged (like Dolly) and now it's working fine again.  Then, he didn't notice that I needed hi-def for the receiver, so now he has to drill another hole and bring another line in.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: January 03, 2004, 03:31:19 PM »

Has anyone noticed how damn BUSY Panni is?  I have.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: January 03, 2004, 03:44:36 PM »

Attila is back on the roof, fiddling around.  Wait a mo - a fiddler on the roof, sounds crazy no?  But in our little village of Studio City... I think there's a musical here, don't you?

As I mentioned ealier, I sent two count them two scathing letters to Ron Epstein at the hometheaterforum, two e-mails worthy of Mr. Charles Pogue.  Do you know what the infantile Mr. Ronald Epstein did?  He blocked e-mails from the account I registered with.  Oh, well - I just resent them from another account.  OOPS.

MBarnum

« Reply #146 on: January 03, 2004, 03:44:44 PM »

Well, it is good to see you again WFO! Don't be such a stranger!

Besides being suave, JRand53 is also one heck of the nicest people I have ever met on the internet! If our states weren't so far removed from one another I am most positive he and I would have loads of fun being movie viewing buddies as he is one of the few people that I know who has some of the same film tastes as I do!

Speaking of movies, I just finshed watching a glorious pre-code film from 1933 called BEAUTY FOR SALE! Lots of laughs and some drama too... with the very lovely Madge Evans, the very amusing Una Merkel, and an array of other 1930s characters! All about girls working in a posh beauty salon in New York. See it if you can!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #147 on: January 03, 2004, 03:51:12 PM »

DR WFO,

You've been sorely missed. Welcome back. (And thanks for the push, Joe.)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #148 on: January 03, 2004, 03:55:42 PM »

DRMBARNUM you are too twisted for color tv!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #149 on: January 03, 2004, 04:06:34 PM »

Minx is 100% purebred Siberian Husky.
The photo is one of her in the summer, when we get her coat trimmed; Huskies tend to not do well in the Pittsburghian summers; but, Minx will be turning THIRTEEN in a few short days. . .she's well-fe, well-cared for and exercizes daily.

She does look like a clipped husky but I had never seen one before. LOL.  We use to trim our Samoyed as she was impossible to brush but left the huskie alone.  She is very cute.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2004, 04:07:12 PM by Jane »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up