Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: CLIPPED HEDGES  (Read 21384 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:CLIPPED HEDGES
« Reply #90 on: September 05, 2006, 01:09:12 PM »

We are planning on buying a new toaster oven.

Isn't our life exciting.

This could add some kitchen excitement:

Paula Deen Egg and Muffin Toaster

The Paula Deen Egg and Muffin Toaster brings innovation to the toaster category by combining the functions of a toaster and an egg poacher into one easy appliance. It can be used as a fully functioning toaster or poacher, or it can be used to make the ultimate breakfast sandwich.
Simply add the necessary ingredients and start the machine. Four minutes later, your breakfast sandwich will be ready.

der brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #91 on: September 05, 2006, 01:12:25 PM »

I think there's another way to deal with the bats, Cillaliz. It's called exclusion, and it consists of a covering over the opening where they enter the building. They can get out in the evening, but can't get back inside. Then put a bat house near the opening so they'll have somewhere to roost. Very few bats have rabies --  only the ones you find on the ground, which won't bite unless you pick them up.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #92 on: September 05, 2006, 01:20:24 PM »

Michael O'Keefe garnered a well deserved Oscar nomination for THE GREAT SANTINI. My heart went out to him in that movie, and the movie itself has always been underrated in my mind.

It had the bad luck to come out the same year as ORDINARY PEOPLE, RAGING BULL, COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER, THE ELEPHANT MAN, TESS, RESURRECTION - all great films, and I think it got lost a bit in the shuffle.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2006, 01:21:41 PM »

Lunch ran long (a lengthy walk around CIRCUIT CITY looking for bargains took much time), so I didn't have scads of time this afternoon to watch stuff.

Matt H.

« Reply #94 on: September 05, 2006, 01:22:56 PM »

I did have time to watch last night's episode of VANISHED. Very exciting, and I think the show has hooked me.

It's only doing moderately in the reatings so far, even against rerun competition on the other networks, so I don't know how long it may last once shows come back with new episodes, but I'll stuck with it as long as it's on.

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: September 05, 2006, 01:24:08 PM »

I took a second to preview THE TOAST OF NEW ORLEANS. The Technicolor looks gorgeous, very deeply saturated, so I'm hopeful the print is in good shape as to damage and artifacts.

Matt H.

« Reply #96 on: September 05, 2006, 01:25:25 PM »

And I skimmed through last night's season finale of THE CLOSER again. It was SUCH an entertaining episode, and I rewatched Brenda's concern over the missing Kitty. Hilarious how even after Kitty gave birth last season, Brenda still refers to Kitty as a "he."

Cillaliz

« Reply #97 on: September 05, 2006, 01:32:58 PM »

I think there's another way to deal with the bats, Cillaliz. It's called exclusion, and it consists of a covering over the opening where they enter the building. They can get out in the evening, but can't get back inside. Then put a bat house near the opening so they'll have somewhere to roost. Very few bats have rabies --  only the ones you find on the ground, which won't bite unless you pick them up.

That's what I wanted to do, the problem is we can't figure out exactly where they are getting in.  There is another company that does bat proofing. I called them first, but they were so rude I called the other company and am going this route for now.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #98 on: September 05, 2006, 01:36:48 PM »

I may call the batproofing place, but I hate to just throw away the money I spent today.  I'll see if I hear them in the wall tonight.

The bats we have here are the big brown bats and they hibernate in houses rather than migrating. So while they have to leave for food, within the next month or so they will start hibernating and then they don't leave the house until spring. So it's possible to seal them in thinking they are gone and then all hell breaks loose in the spring when there is no way out.

I'm not happy about the situation, but I'm not sure what else to do

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: September 05, 2006, 01:42:10 PM »

Good luck with the bat problem, Cillaliz. I don't envy you!

TOD - I have to admit that I was/am fascinated with the tragic JonBenet Ramsay case. I guess I have a bit of an excuse. At the time of the murder we were living in Boulder. Ironically, we'd just moved there from LA so that our young daughter could grow up in a safer environment. So much for that!

Cillaliz

« Reply #100 on: September 05, 2006, 01:57:52 PM »

Enter Batman number 2...he contends that batman number 1 is the evil twin. He also said it isn't legal to kill bats. Who knew?  So he will be going to my house in about 45 minutes. They go over your entire house and seal everywhere the bats can get in.  This will be interesting. It may be throwing good money after bad, but my conscience is really bothering me so....
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 01:58:51 PM by Cillaliz »

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #101 on: September 05, 2006, 02:01:24 PM »

I thought it was illegal to kill bats. Hopefully this guy will do the exclusion thing. Big brown bats will roost in bat houses -- so maybe if you put a couple up, they'll roost in those instead. I think it would be swell to have bats in a bat house. We get Mexican free-tail bats here, which roost in caves (and cave-like things).

Matt H.

« Reply #102 on: September 05, 2006, 02:04:46 PM »

Off to clean the living room now and then probably to start WILL & GRACE Season 5 which came today.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #103 on: September 05, 2006, 02:10:36 PM »

What no shelf space for our favorite crime: "The mutilation of Dragonheart: how the soul was ripped from its bosum."

der Brucer

Alas, I  know where all those bodies are buried.

Danise

« Reply #104 on: September 05, 2006, 02:16:57 PM »

Hi all!  Just poping in.

I take it the subject is bats.  We have them around where I live.  You can see them in the early evening flying around.

Just remember how good bats are--they eat many, many, many times their weight in insects.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #105 on: September 05, 2006, 02:18:17 PM »

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that just about every time you sign in or even look at board we have a new member listed but they never post??

Do we have an unseemly interloper?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #106 on: September 05, 2006, 02:19:45 PM »

Hi Danise!!

I like bats.

Danise

« Reply #107 on: September 05, 2006, 02:19:48 PM »

A live gas price update--it's at $1.61 and 9.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #108 on: September 05, 2006, 02:20:12 PM »

Yes, I have noticed the same thing.

Danise

« Reply #109 on: September 05, 2006, 02:20:52 PM »

Hi Danise!!

I like bats.

I do too!  :)

Gotta fly now!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #110 on: September 05, 2006, 02:25:09 PM »

Alas, I  know where all those bodies are buried.

Maybe you should write something like BK's "Rewind," but, of course, about a situation similar to what you experienced. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #111 on: September 05, 2006, 02:30:29 PM »

Just a thought. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #112 on: September 05, 2006, 02:35:51 PM »

Are we SURE this isn't MONDAY?

It sure "works" like a Monday.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: September 05, 2006, 02:55:34 PM »

Are we SURE this isn't MONDAY?

It sure "works" like a Monday.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Can't be monday; it's raining and I am not crying.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #114 on: September 05, 2006, 03:29:48 PM »

Well Batman number 2 seems to be more the real deal and not the evil imposter that Batman number 1 is (Batman number 2 was lacking a Robin, however) .

Although I was surprised when he said the bats leave the house before dawn. I thought they left at dusk, but that wouldn't account for them being in my house at night. So, who knew that a nocturnal animal leaves the house every morning.  

Anyway, he's coming back in the morning to batproof my house.  The good thing is, to do that he'll have to fix some things that really need fixing (like a rotten board near one of the eaves etc). The house will be pretty sealed for winter when he's done.   He will also put in a bat door so they can get out but not back in, if it looks like we need to.  

I'm much happier with him.  He laughed when I told him my conscience had been bothering me ever since I agreed to have the strips put in.  I told him how I got the bat out of the house without harming it...he said "I use a tennis racket, if it's in my house, either he dies or I do" Not quite the answer I expected from Batman number 2 aka Fred.

Tomovoz

« Reply #115 on: September 05, 2006, 03:42:05 PM »

TOTD. It was hard to escape the Lindy Chamberlain/Dingo & The Baby case here.

It was a wonderful example of media manipulation of the public. A total swing around!

I still believe there was human intervention and that the Dingo was framed! (Unless there is a Dingo out there that can fold clothes).

Ms Streep was I believe unfairly criticized for her strange accent in the movie.  It was not meant to be Australian. Lindy was from New Zealand and most of her accent remained - but with an Australian inflection.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #116 on: September 05, 2006, 03:42:43 PM »

Do the Watergate hearings and Nixon Impeachment proceedings count as "criminal trial" elements?

And the Menendez trials....woof!  What a circus those were.

The truth, Ron, how did you mean that "woof?"
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Cillaliz

« Reply #117 on: September 05, 2006, 03:46:35 PM »

TOTD. It was hard to escape the Lindy Chamberlain/Dingo & The Baby case here.

It was a wonderful example of media manipulation of the public. A total swing around!

I still believe there was human intervention and that the Dingo was framed! (Unless there is a Dingo out there that can fold clothes).

Ms Streep was I believe unfairly criticized for her strange accent in the movie.  It was not meant to be Australian. Lindy was from New Zealand and most of her accent remained - but with an Australian inflection.

Another movie I enjoyed. Were the baby's clothes really found folded?

Tomovoz

« Reply #118 on: September 05, 2006, 03:52:05 PM »

Much later.  The Baby's Jacket was indeed found folded.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #119 on: September 05, 2006, 03:55:04 PM »

That's better news, Cillaliz.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up