Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NEW YEAR COMETH  (Read 22251 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE NEW YEAR COMETH
« on: December 27, 2004, 12:00:44 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know what cometh, you know all about the spotted you-know-what, and now it is time for you to post until the you-know-what cows come home.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2004, 12:00:41 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE NEW YEAR COMETH
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2004, 12:06:20 AM »

We may continue the Mac/PC discussion here.

My new camera has optical and digital zoom.  It's a fairly high-end Canon.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2004, 12:11:42 AM »

I need a digital camera.  My phone takes decent pics, but not at all high quailty, and there is no flash...ah well, perhaps for my birthday

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 12:17:27 AM »

I haven't seen enough new movies this year to answer the question of top ten fav movies of 2004.  Though I've seen more than ten, I guess, I couldn't find ten that I would classify as favs.  I'm not sure I can even remember ten, most current movies zip right out of my head that fast.

As for Apple powerbooks, etc.  I don't know from any of it.  I have a Dell desktop computer and assorted printers and a dell laptop pc.  It's all I need or want.  I don't know how to master all the programs and gizmos these machines have.  I am also looking for ways to be less connected, not more.

I found myself a few days before Christmas in Century City Mall watching the strollers and shoppers go by...the vast majority totally unaware of the teeming life around them, caught up in their portal phone calls or their blackberrys or their wireless internet.  How sad, how stupid...trying to so hard to stay acessible, available, and connected that they were actually totally disconnected to life and utterly self-absorbed.  One also wanted to shout at most of the obnoxious phone chatters..."Shut up! The mundanities of your life aren't interesting enough to share with the rest of us!"

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2004, 12:23:47 AM »

My parents are looking for a new camera and they want to go digital.  That's when we all found out that they should have AT LEAST an optical zoom but you shouldn't get a camera that has only digital zoom.  Both is better (almost an Ed Kleban reference!).
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2004, 12:25:18 AM »

I've been mostly happy with my Dell, and that's the alternative - a Dell PC with a 17" screen.  The thing that appeals about the Apple is the iTunes, which my friend Nick has, and which is incredible, the iDVD burner, the iMovie program (so one can edit together stuff - or put in their home movies or whatever), that kind of stuff.  Both Dell and Apple have the new wireless stuff built in - I do want to get the Adelphia wireless, so that I'm not always locked to the kitchen table, which I am now.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2004, 12:26:31 AM »

The little Canon I bought is amazingly small and compact, and seems extremely simple to use.  My two or three year old Hewlit Packard digital camera is sort of a bad joke and always has been.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2004, 12:27:38 AM »

A  couple of movies I liked...KINSEY & VERA DRAKE.  Was OPEN RANGE this year?  I liked it.

One movie I disliked...POLAR EXPRESS.  A bloated, overblown piece of poop.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2004, 12:30:56 AM »

I'm not sure I can remember ten movies I saw this year. MILLION DOLLAR BABY is certainly up there. Was THE BARBARIAN INVASIONS a 2004 film? It won the Foreign Film Oscar last year? I'm too tired to look it up.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2004, 12:31:03 AM »

I haven't seen enough new movies this year to answer the question of top ten fav movies of 2004.  Though I've seen more than ten, I guess, I couldn't find ten that I would classify as favs.  I'm not sure I can even remember ten, most current movies zip right out of my head that fast.
I'm in the same boat as DR CP on this one, with the exception that I'm not even sure I saw ten new movies.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2004, 12:32:47 AM »

I'm leaving to go to Wussburgerland.  I want to get up a bit earlier than my usual Monday work day time so that I can go to my credit union and deposit the ca$h that I received as my Christmas gift.  I will be thinking about the topic of the day.  So, good night people!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2004, 12:33:09 AM »

I'm sure I saw ten movies this year, almost all of them on DVD.  I can sure name worst movies, but that will be another day.  I haven't seen anything this year (that came out this year) that I could describe as "best" - but I intend seeing the Clint soon, and will also see Phantom of the Opera and a few others.

Panni

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2004, 12:33:58 AM »

DR Hisaka - You're much closer to the devastating quake than we are here. The news must be horrific in Japan.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2004, 12:34:49 AM »

Can you stop for a minute with the doom and gloom?

Is Hisaka a Mac or a PC?

George

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2004, 12:37:13 AM »

And do the Topic of the Day movies have to be feature film movies released in the theaters or can they be made-for-TV movies shown first on TV or can they also be direct-to-video movies that were released direct-to-video?  That's going to keep me up all night.  Well, maybe not.  But it is something to ponder...cogitate. ::)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 12:37:55 AM by George »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2004, 12:38:06 AM »

Any movies are eligible for our best lists.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2004, 12:38:53 AM »

I don't mean is Hisaka actually a Mac or a PC, I mean does Hisaka USE a Mac or a PC?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2004, 01:10:00 AM »

Well, I imagine that POTO will be on my list once I see it.  But I don't think I went OUT to a movie this year.  Oh my....nothing that I wanted to see enough that I would sit in a room of rowdy inconsiderate people to see.

So, on DVD I would add released this year Et uns et les autres, Hell's Angels (airplane NOT motorcycle movie) and Call Me Madam.

WELL....not denigrate an entire brand, I have worked on an APPLE for a time and it was very confusing to me, particularly when I had to switch back and forth.  DR EVIL KURT has an Apple and uses an Apple at his work (writing instruction books for video games) and swears by them.  BUT I do not think I would want to change.

I am afraid of the compatibiility issue.  Why would you want to use a system to create a document or photo etc that is NOT compatible with 80%  of the other systems in use?  I think there are music and movie programs that will do the things the Apple does.

A new computer is nice, but I would recommend staying with PC.  Of course new technology is always a challenge, and it may be that you ARE a MAC person.  Just know that a lot of people couldn't use programs or documents you create.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2004, 01:10:27 AM »

Oh.....and I think the APPLE systems do not have floppy drives, only CD-Rom drives.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2004, 01:11:00 AM »

I don't mean is Hisaka actually a Mac or a PC, I mean does Hisaka USE a Mac or a PC?

I understand well well, DR BK. ;)

Well, I have a mac iBook with OS10.3 on it…and I use my fingers instead of a mouse. My friends make fun of me but I really like it, just to use my fingers. And I also have Air Mac, which I use it with iBook in my apartment.
Is it strange for you all?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2004, 01:13:44 AM »

Esteemed BK, the real question on whether to use a Mac or PC should be based on what you intend to use the computer for.  The Mac, and it's structure inside, was designed to be good with graphic programs.  It's good for drawing, working with film, music, that sort of stuff.  The PC, on the other hand, was designed to be a number cruncher, and is better at math and word processing.

I'm not that great on music or drawing, and der Brucer is even worse than I in those fields, but I love to write, and he is a number cruncher from way back.  We're both PC people.  But we did own a Mac some time ago, and consider it a fine machine.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2004, 01:16:27 AM »

The time is quite late here, or early in the morning, or something.  I must wuss my burgers.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2004, 01:42:53 AM »

DR Hisaka - You're much closer to the devastating quake than we are here. The news must be horrific in Japan.

Yes. Over thirty Japanes tourists died, in addition to about ten thousand victims, being hitted and swallowed up by tidal waves on some islands around Sri Lanka.  It’s a huge natural disaster.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2004, 04:42:31 AM »

Terrible disaster with world-wide repercussions.  Sad.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2004, 04:44:02 AM »

I think DR SWW said what I meant much better than I did.  That is depending on the application, you should choose which system will work best for you.

I am just terrible at learning something new....or relearning how to do something, so I have always passed on getting an Apple.  I don't think any members of my family currently use Mac.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2004, 04:46:15 AM »

Good morning, all!  Yesterday, finally, all the fuzziness in my throat vanished and turned into a full head cold:  my sinuses ache and my nose won't stop running.  After NICHOLAS NICKLEBY,  I watched LOVE ACTUALLY, which I'm adding to the list of favorite Christmas movies, and hit the bed around 8:30 pm.

This morning I see the surgeon at 9:30, then I have some banking and bills.  I hope to be in bed early again tonight, and I'm determined to shake the cold by my New Year's Eve trek to Brooklyn!

TOD:  I can think of only a few films I've really enjoyed this year:  Almodovar's BAD EDUCATION, GARDEN STATE, HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN, and LATTER DAYS are the ones that come to mind immediately.

Heading my list as the all-round worst film of 2004:  the bloated, flatulent, hyperbolic VAN HELSING.  I could vomit on the ground.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 04:55:03 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2004, 05:46:29 AM »

BK-What is the model # of your Canon? I have a FUJI Fine Pix S 5000.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 05:50:32 AM by ArnoldMBrockman »

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2004, 06:37:54 AM »

Heading my list as the all-round worst film of 2004:  the bloated, flatulent, hyperbolic VAN HELSING.  I could vomit on the ground.

Well said.  DH & I  went to see this with another couple.  By the middle of the movie peopel wer talkinh on cell phones and calling out to the screen, and we , first once, didn't mind it at all,as our fellow movie goers conversations were much more interesting than anything goingon onscreen.  Due to the hype the theatre was sold out so we were not sitting with our friends, after wards they and we confessed that we would have walked out except that we stayed for the sake of the other couple!

Peter (the other husband) summed up the movie . "It was too long, but at least it sucked"

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2004, 06:39:26 AM »

I hope you all had a lovely Christmas and Boxing Day.  We were all very busy making merry the 24th theought the 26th so I am afrais I have not read a word of HHW since the afternpon of the 23rd.  I will hie me now to the past postings and catch up!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Panni

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2004, 06:44:45 AM »

****HEALING VIBES TO DR ELMORE!****
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up