Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: WEARY BLEARY EYEBALLS  (Read 42080 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:WEARY BLEARY EYEBALLS
« Reply #210 on: January 22, 2008, 03:01:35 PM »

Now, if you want a really scary thought, let's suppose that the Republican Party nominates a moderate for President (such as McCain or Giulianni) and decides to nominate a hard conservative to "balance the ticket."  Having pulled out of the running so early, a certain actor may have placed himself nicely into the second spot.

:o

(And why is it, when it comes to actors in politics, the Democrats get all the buzz with statements of support and fundraising and such, but it's the actors who are Republicans who actually run?  Just asking.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #211 on: January 22, 2008, 03:01:42 PM »

Ye gods, that WAS my favorite musical.

Show Boat, I mean.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 03:02:26 PM by singingnymph »
~Meg B, of Central California~
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
A little song, a little dance,
a little seltzer down your pants.
http://madmistressmeg.spreadshirt.com

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #212 on: January 22, 2008, 03:03:54 PM »

Page Eight "Dey Do Run-Run-Run" Dance!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #213 on: January 22, 2008, 03:06:52 PM »

I finally got to subject my best friend the BFPX soundtrack. He got a kick out of it.

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #214 on: January 22, 2008, 03:09:04 PM »

Dear neighbors. Stop screaming at your puppy. With that tone of voice, I wouldn't come to you either. Also, it just plain annoys the crap out of me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #215 on: January 22, 2008, 03:20:15 PM »

THE SHORT LIST:

BEST PICTURE
...BEST ACTRESS
...BEST ACTOR
...BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
...BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

der Brucer

The WAY TOO short list, der B!  

Most short lists these days include BEST DIRECTOR, and often BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY and BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #216 on: January 22, 2008, 03:23:30 PM »

I can't believe that Heath Ledger is dead from a drug overdose.  You probably already discussed it, but I just now heard it on the news.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 03:29:39 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #217 on: January 22, 2008, 03:24:58 PM »

(And why is it, when it comes to actors in politics, the Democrats get all the buzz with statements of support and fundraising and such, but it's the actors who are Republicans who actually run?  Just asking.)

Lack of megalomania, perhaps?

I wonder why the actors who speak out get lambasted for exercising their rights to free speech by the media.  Good citizenship is speaking out and then supporting one's causes.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #218 on: January 22, 2008, 03:28:38 PM »

Here's some interesting notes:

"Ratatouille"
Best Original Score
Best Sound Editing
Best Sound Mixing
You've GOT to pay more attention, der B!  Ratatouille is also nominated for Best Animated Feature and BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY!

(To think I live with you, and the importance of these things just float over your head.  *le sigh*)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #219 on: January 22, 2008, 03:32:48 PM »

Jane, I was at a university in Pomona on top of a hill.

Got it! It also explains the sheep and cows. :)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #220 on: January 22, 2008, 03:34:20 PM »

In a day or so, I suspect Woody will go into "hermit mode" - the "Torchwood" box set has shipped. 13 Episodes of "Torchwoord", 13 episodes of "Torchwood Declassified" and tons of extras in a 7CD box set - all for under $60.

der Brucer

I may need to double-dip on this.  I have the PAL, region 2 DVD set, but it doesn't sound like the UK version has all this extra stuff.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #221 on: January 22, 2008, 03:34:27 PM »

I can't believe that Heath Ledger is dead from a drug overdose.  You probably already discussed it, but I just now heard it on the news.
I haven't been keeping up; this is news to me. I feel sick to my stomach.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 03:36:29 PM by singingnymph »

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #222 on: January 22, 2008, 03:37:02 PM »

I want that Mary-Kate bitch investigated. </gallows humor>

Michael

« Reply #223 on: January 22, 2008, 03:37:59 PM »

RE: Charlie Chaplin's  Smile

Like so many popular instrumentals from films the lyrics to the Smile were written afterwards in 1954 and became a hit recording for many people.

Other songs that were originally instrumentals:

Laura
Around the World (in 80 days)
Where Do I Begin (Love Story)
Speak Softly Love (The Godfather)
Somewhere In Time
Lara's Theme (Doctor Zhivago)
A Time For Us (Romeo & Juliet)
Chariots of Fire
Out of Africa

and others
Never stop dreaming.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #224 on: January 22, 2008, 03:42:41 PM »

[size=8]HAPPY BIRTHDAY[/size]

DR (AND PROUD PAPA) ELAN!!!

« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 03:44:39 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #225 on: January 22, 2008, 03:44:59 PM »

Lack of megalomania, perhaps?

I wonder why the actors who speak out get lambasted for exercising their rights to free speech by the media.  Good citizenship is speaking out and then supporting one's causes.

Most often, the actors who speak out (as opposed to running for office) are being questioned about their actual knowledge on the issues, and their use/abuse of their celebrity status.  Tom Cruise as an authority on psychology?  Puh and leaze.  And Chuck Norris dissing McCain as being too old to run for President, when McCain is just four years older than Norris?  Laughable.

There are many other actors who are advocates for various causes, who have taken the time to research those causes and actively participate (Ted Danson's helping found the American Oceans Campaign comes to mind, and who can forget Doris Day being more than a talking head for animal rights.  And Marlo Thomas' role as an advocate for children fits in.)  When an actor becomes involved with a cause, rather than just talking about it, then I believe that involvement deserves to be celebrated.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 03:46:22 PM by S. Woody White »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #226 on: January 22, 2008, 03:47:31 PM »

"Chariots of Fire" has lyrics?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #227 on: January 22, 2008, 03:49:46 PM »

Happy Birthday, Elan.

And happy belated birthday, Pogue--I kept meaning to post that day and forgot!

Well, thanks (I think) to JR for alerting me to the Freeman documentary which ran on American Experience last night.  Absolutely appalling and fascinating, all at the same time, but no mention of FF, Allah be praised!  I got an astounding number of hits on my FF article starting last night, most coming from the Wikipedia article on Freeman, so it had an audience, that's for sure.

JMK, you and Jrand have got to be careful when you use the initials FF.  For some of us, it will always mean only one thing - Future Farmers!
“One thing’s universal,

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #228 on: January 22, 2008, 03:51:18 PM »

A quick Google supplied these lyrics to the aforementioned.  Proceed only if you are very brave and have not eaten.   :P

td

• td
« Reply #229 on: January 22, 2008, 03:54:20 PM »

CNN is reporting that actor Heath Ledger has passed away.

Indeed, this is the most shocking and saddening news I have heard in quite a while.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #230 on: January 22, 2008, 03:55:06 PM »

"Chariots of Fire" has lyrics?

Jane Olivor recorded it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #231 on: January 22, 2008, 03:58:58 PM »

DR SINGINGNYMPH - I think you mean the Cast Album for BFPX, there is NO soundtrack since it is not a movie.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #232 on: January 22, 2008, 03:59:59 PM »

I think you might enjoy J.A.G MattH....all I can say is David James Elliott!! (My mom has a crush on him!!)

Oh Michael!  Thirty years from now, so will you.
“One thing’s universal,

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #233 on: January 22, 2008, 04:00:12 PM »

Glad you are surviving and motivating, DR ELMORE.

I have lots of mail, but I haven't opened anything, I am still shocked to hear the Heath Ledger news.....unexpected - and shocking - and sad.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #234 on: January 22, 2008, 04:08:01 PM »

I have read that emmy winning actress lois Nettelton has passed away

Actress Lois Nettleton, who received a Tony Award nomination for the 1976 revival of Sidney Kingsley's They Knew What They Wanted, died on January 18 in Calfornia of lung cancer. She was 80.
Nettleton's 30-year Broadway career also included roles in such shows as Darkness at Noon, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof God and Kate Murphy, for which she received the Clarence Derwent Award, and Strangers. In 1973, she replaced Rosemary Harris as Blanche DuBois in an acclaimed production of A Streetcar Named Desire. Nettleton also worked regionally and Off-Broadway; in 2004, she appeared in How to Build a Better Tulip.

Nettleton played Lady Macbeth in a 1968 television film of the Shakespeare play opposite Earle Hyman. She also starred in the film versions of Period of Adjustment, The Man in the Glass Booth and The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas.

She worked steadily on television, received Emmy Award nominations for her work on Fear on Trial, The Golden Girls, In the Heat of the Night, and The Last Bride of Salem. She received Daytime Emmy Awards for The American Woman: Portraits of Courage and Insight, She appeared as Virginia Benson on the popular daytime drama General Hospital and had a recurring role in In the Heat of the Night.

Nettleton was married to writer Jean Shepherd from 1961-1967; that union ended in divorce.
Never stop dreaming.

MBarnum

« Reply #235 on: January 22, 2008, 04:08:21 PM »

I think I should explain that Fred Thompson didn't scare me politically...I haven't any clue what his political views are...it is just that when I would see him on TV lately he just looked scary!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #236 on: January 22, 2008, 04:10:11 PM »

JMK, you and Jrand have got to be careful when you use the initials FF.  For some of us, it will always mean only one thing - Future Farmers!

Well, you have the Farmer part right, anyway.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #237 on: January 22, 2008, 04:11:19 PM »

I have read that emmy winning actress lois Nettelton has passed away

Actress Lois Nettleton, who received a Tony Award nomination for the 1976 revival of Sidney Kingsley's They Knew What They Wanted, died on January 18 in Calfornia of lung cancer. She was 80.
Nettleton's 30-year Broadway career also included roles in such shows as Darkness at Noon, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof God and Kate Murphy, for which she received the Clarence Derwent Award, and Strangers. In 1973, she replaced Rosemary Harris as Blanche DuBois in an acclaimed production of A Streetcar Named Desire. Nettleton also worked regionally and Off-Broadway; in 2004, she appeared in How to Build a Better Tulip.

Nettleton played Lady Macbeth in a 1968 television film of the Shakespeare play opposite Earle Hyman. She also starred in the film versions of Period of Adjustment, The Man in the Glass Booth and The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas.

She worked steadily on television, received Emmy Award nominations for her work on Fear on Trial, The Golden Girls, In the Heat of the Night, and The Last Bride of Salem. She received Daytime Emmy Awards for The American Woman: Portraits of Courage and Insight, She appeared as Virginia Benson on the popular daytime drama General Hospital and had a recurring role in In the Heat of the Night.

Nettleton was married to writer Jean Shepherd from 1961-1967; that union ended in divorce.

I loved Lois Nettleton, and she is, IIRC, the Aunt of one of the DJs Betsy worked with at KEX here in PDX.  Does anyone remember Lois' very short-lived (maybe not even half a season) series with Jerry Van Dyke, Accidental Family?  
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

td

• td
« Reply #238 on: January 22, 2008, 04:12:12 PM »

Still time to say:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR ELAN!

MBarnum

« Reply #239 on: January 22, 2008, 04:14:15 PM »

I kept seeing things about Lois Nettleton on-line today and kept thinking to myself "Wow, why all this news on Lois Nettleton's death, she died quite awhile back"...then I realized I was really thinking about Lois Maxwell who died a few months back.

I have had her movie COME FLY WITH ME on my DVR for months.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Up