Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: YESTERDAY'S MASHED POTATOES  (Read 32384 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: YESTERDAY'S MASHED POTATOES
« Reply #180 on: October 27, 2008, 01:20:15 PM »

When I got in, I watched the remaining 45 minutes of BROTHERS & SISTERS. The Kevin story went exactly as I had anticipated. The Nora story went exactly as expected. Nice to see Justin and non-sister take it to the next level.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #181 on: October 27, 2008, 01:20:29 PM »

Page Seven Dance!!!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #182 on: October 27, 2008, 01:22:15 PM »

Der B has errands he wants us to run.  Hasta.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #183 on: October 27, 2008, 01:23:28 PM »

Then I put in the newly remastered DVD of THE BOYS IN THE BAND. Sharpness and color are erratic. Certainly it looks better than the old videotape I've been playing for decades, and it has 2.0 stereo sound. I find despite the somewhat dated theatrics that the dialog still has a fair amount of truth about it. I've certainly known examples of every one of those men in my life at one point or another.

Matt H.

« Reply #184 on: October 27, 2008, 01:24:53 PM »

Besides a William Friedkin commentary, there are three bonus featurettes, all of which I'll have to experience this evening. I still have 40 minutes of the film left to watch.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #185 on: October 27, 2008, 01:27:09 PM »

More topic of the day:
Paul Simon (1973) at the Royal Albert Hall
Paul Simon (about 1990)

Jose Felicano
Don McLean
Vera Lynn

Worst - Dionne Warwick!

Worst concert that immediately comes to mind:  the first time I saw Suzanne Vega.  The woman just stood there, still as a statue, eyes to the floor, for her entire set.   She didn't move left.  She didn't move right.  Her audience banter consisted of "...hi..." and "...good night..."

To be fair, she was so much better when I saw her again years later.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #186 on: October 27, 2008, 01:27:33 PM »

I guess DR Jose has become a bus boy.

I used to help bus tables at my favorite restaurant in Richmond when they got slammed. I actually always liked helping out there.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #187 on: October 27, 2008, 01:31:38 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Greetings from the bus. -Which, apparently is only making one interim stop today between here and Richmond. Hmmm...

I hope there are no offal smells wafting from the restroom.

Well, last time, it wasn't the restrooms that were odoriferous, it was the bus in general. I guess there were a lot of sweaty people on its previous trip. Thankfully, today's bus has no offending smells emanating from anywhere (or anyone). Whew!
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #188 on: October 27, 2008, 01:31:57 PM »

Good to see you DtM.

"Luka" is one of those truly great pieces of writing - a hard act to follow!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #189 on: October 27, 2008, 01:58:58 PM »

I'm dropping off-line now to do some writing and thejn back downstairs to finish THE BOYS IN THE BAND and its supplements. Then, it's on to prime time TV.

WBBL.

singdaw

« Reply #190 on: October 27, 2008, 02:15:26 PM »

She didn't move left.  She didn't move right. 

She performed Sondheim's "Losing My Mind"?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #191 on: October 27, 2008, 02:19:47 PM »

She didn't move left.  She didn't move right. 

She performed Sondheim's "Losing My Mind"?

How on earth could Sondheim lose your mind?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Kerry

« Reply #192 on: October 27, 2008, 02:21:13 PM »

Uh - oh - Lucy just put three dozen eggs in her blouse, and Ricky wants to rehearse the Tango Dance they are going to do for the PTA.....

I remember the episode but I don't remember why Lucy couldn't tell Ricky about the eggs!

"Lucy Does the Tango": The Ricardos' and the Mertzes' chicken business isn't doing very well. Lucy and Ethel come up with a scheme to fool the boys into thinking the hens are laying lots of eggs by smuggling some, hidden underneath their clothes, into the henhouse. On one such trip, Ricky insists that he and Lucy rehearse their tango number for a local benefit. Unbeknownst to Ricky, Lucy's blouse is filled with chicken eggs.

-- Wikipedia

Ah, thank you.  I remember one where they had baby chicks running all through the house.
I like boat races.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #193 on: October 27, 2008, 02:21:32 PM »

(A term not used in Australia for anything)

A worthless term, then?

What do you call the act of clearing tables in restaurants?

"clearing tables".

And the persons who do the clearing are called?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Kerry

« Reply #194 on: October 27, 2008, 02:24:32 PM »

Bargain tip #1

I transferred an Rx (for which my insurance pays 100%) to Walgreens.

For being kind enough to transfer the Rx they give me a $25.00 gift card.

I used gift card to buy a new electric razor that was marked down half price, making it only $20.99.

Over this last year or so that same Rx has been transferred to every store in town that gives away gift cards.

This is what you do when you are poor like me.

I get offers from CVS to transfer the prescriptions there, but I don't really like the CVS closest to me, and their hours aren't as convenient, so I'll have to miss out.  That's a great idea though! 
I like boat races.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #195 on: October 27, 2008, 02:28:03 PM »

Uh - oh - Lucy just put three dozen eggs in her blouse, and Ricky wants to rehearse the Tango Dance they are going to do for the PTA.....

I remember the episode but I don't remember why Lucy couldn't tell Ricky about the eggs!

"Lucy Does the Tango": The Ricardos' and the Mertzes' chicken business isn't doing very well. Lucy and Ethel come up with a scheme to fool the boys into thinking the hens are laying lots of eggs by smuggling some, hidden underneath their clothes, into the henhouse. On one such trip, Ricky insists that he and Lucy rehearse their tango number for a local benefit. Unbeknownst to Ricky, Lucy's blouse is filled with chicken eggs.

-- Wikipedia

Ah, thank you.  I remember one where they had baby chicks running all through the house.

"Lucy Raises Chickens" -- Season 6

Ricky is at the kitchen table, flabbergasted at the amount of the monthly household bills. He wonders how the bills will get paid. Lucy suggests putting the bills on their lazy Susan, spin them around on it, and whatever bill stays on would be the bill that they would pay. As luck would have it, the Connecticut Light and Power Company wins. Ricky rejects the idea. He continues opening more bills and is shocked to find how high the grocery bill is. Now that the Mertzes have been visiting more often, and therefore more food is being consumed. Lucy brings up the furniture, which is still a sore spot with Ricky, and as he begins tearing in to Betty, she walks in with news that a friend of hers from the magazine House and Garden will be coming to the house to look around and will be including pics in a spread in the magazine if she likes what she sees.

In a seeming fit of desperation, Lucy suggests farming to pay the expenses. They ultimately decided to raise chickens, reasoning that they can make more profit--when the chickens no longer produce eggs, they can be sold as poultry. The share their idea with the Mertzes and decide to take out an ad in the paper for an experienced chicken farmer.

A few days later, Ricky enters with some responses to the ad. One in particular is from an elderly man who fought in World War I, was an entertainer. The response Ricky reads turns out to be from Fred, who, with Ehterl, is waiting outside for Ricky.

The Mertzes tell the Ricardos that they're interested in the job, explaining that Mrs. Trumbull's sister has agreed to move in and manage the building. The Mertzes won't be able to move in until their things arrive, so The Ricardos agree to allow the Mertzes to stay in the guest room upstairs.

Fred says that before they buy the little chicks, he has much to do to get the henhouse ready. About a week later, the girls come in from shopping and announce to Fred that he and Ethel are the proud parents of five hundred baby chicks. Fred orders the girls to get the chicks out the henhouse immediately or they would freeze to death. He also tells Lucy to call the hatcher and have him to send two brooders (incubators). Meanwhile the Mertzes get the baby chicks and Fred has Lucy to turn on the heat, and he and Ethel take the chicks to the den. Fred goes to check the furnace while the girls prepare to feed the baby chicks.

With the chicks warmed and fed, everyone goes to the kitchen for lunch. Little Ricky comes home and hears the chirping from the den. He goes inside. During lunch, Lucy and the Mertzes notice that the chirping has gotten louder. Little Ricky enters with a baby chick and Lucy asks if he remembered to close the den door. He says he doesn't remember, and everyone frantically tries shooing the chicks back into the den. Until they can all be accounted for, however, Lucy and the Mertzes forced turn up the heat in the entire house, creating an oversized sauna.

Soon enough, everyone's dressed as if it were the middle of July. Ricky comes home and asks what's going on. All but 65 have been found (quite a bit of them are under the clothes dryer). Lucy gets the idea to play mother chick to herd up the other chicks--just as Betty Ramsey and the crew from House & Garden magazine walk in. Lucy is devastated.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 02:31:01 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Tomovoz

« Reply #196 on: October 27, 2008, 02:32:45 PM »

A worthless term, then?

"clearing tables".

It would be the table waiter's job. Multi skilling!

And of course no tipping in this country unless the waiter has gone beyond the expected level of service.  Our pay structures do not incorporate tips.  No tipping in France either. (It is already built into the bill).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #197 on: October 27, 2008, 02:39:00 PM »

Favorite concerts:

Barbara Cook at Carnegie Hall (IT'S BETTER WITH A BAND) - the first of five times I've seen Ms. Cook.  Carol Burnett bumped into my on my way to the rest room. 

Carol Burnett bumped into your what?? :o

I guess she bumped into my typo.   :o
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #198 on: October 27, 2008, 02:43:48 PM »

Oooh!.. I had a bad Dionne Warwick concert experience too. Well, she had a semi-bad night, but it was good for a laugh.

I did too!  The fault was not with her, but with the sound system:  even though seated in the second row from the stage Ms. Warwick's vocals were not well-heard.  (Maybe we can blame ex-Steeler Franco Harris who was sitting right in front of me).

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #199 on: October 27, 2008, 02:45:15 PM »

Favorite concerts:

Barbara Cook at Carnegie Hall (IT'S BETTER WITH A BAND) - the first of five times I've seen Ms. Cook.  Carol Burnett bumped into my on my way to the rest room. 

Carol Burnett bumped into your what?? :o

I guess she bumped into my typo.   :o

Is that what they're calling it these days??

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

td

• td
« Reply #200 on: October 27, 2008, 02:48:04 PM »

Ah, I shall clear tables on Wednesday night then.  When folks are finished with their soups, salads and/or appetizers I shall pre-clear those tables.  Mulligan's does not have a clearboy, so servers are responsible for clearing their own tables.  When the tables are cleared and the guests have gone we shall turn those same tables.   ;)

td

• td
« Reply #201 on: October 27, 2008, 02:50:39 PM »

DR George, I can't recall what they were calling it in 1980. . .but, today, we're calling it a typo.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 03:02:21 PM by td »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #202 on: October 27, 2008, 03:03:53 PM »

A worthless term, then?

"clearing tables".

It would be the table waiter's job. Multi skilling!

And of course no tipping in this country unless the waiter has gone beyond the expected level of service.  Our pay structures do not incorporate tips.  No tipping in France either. (It is already built into the bill).

And no shortening slang, like "tabling"?    ;)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #203 on: October 27, 2008, 03:05:51 PM »

Nor something suggestive, like "table boy"?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #204 on: October 27, 2008, 03:06:38 PM »

I'm sorry, but I'm just feeling a bit silly at the moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #205 on: October 27, 2008, 03:29:34 PM »

Good Evening!

Still on the bus. We just had our Ten Minute(!!!!!!) break somewhere near the south end of the NJ Turnpike...

-I decided to grab a bite to eat at the Roy Rogers, and probably shouldn't have.

-On the bright(?) side, at least I was not left in the parking lot like one poor woman was. Apparently, she didn't realize that when her bus driver said "Ten Minutes!!!", he really meant it. Alas, no one on my bus, including myself and the driver, could really help her. I do hope she gets to her intended destination somehow or other.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #206 on: October 27, 2008, 03:30:17 PM »

I'm sorry, but I'm just feeling a bit silly at the moment.

Hmmm... Sinus medications! :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #207 on: October 27, 2008, 03:31:51 PM »

Oh! The bus driver put a copy of the latest "Batman" movie in the DVD player...  Hmmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #208 on: October 27, 2008, 03:58:09 PM »

Oh! The bus driver put a copy of the latest "Batman" movie in the DVD player...  Hmmm...

....hmmmmmmm....BOOTLEG?  Or specially licensed film?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #209 on: October 27, 2008, 04:02:02 PM »

It's the latest, it's the greatest,
Mashed Potato, ya, ya ,ya

A Mashed Potato started long time ago
With a guy named Sloppy Joe,
You'll find this dance is so cool to do,
Come on baby, gonna teach it to you.

Mashed Potato, feel it in your feet now,
Mashed Potato, come on get the beat now,
Baby, come on honey, come on baby.

And then they dance it through and through,
They look for records they can do it to,
They got a dance was outta sight,
Doin' the lion sleeps tonight.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Up