Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LIVELY AND FESTIVE NOTES  (Read 20660 times)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
Re:THE LIVELY AND FESTIVE NOTES
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2004, 10:12:24 AM »

I watched neither "House" nor "Amazing Race" on television last night. I watched a locally-produced show about polygamy in northern Arizona.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2004, 10:13:38 AM »

DRJANE - when WHERE THE BOYS ARE came out on DVD last year, I posted this photo of Dolores as she is today.   ;D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2004, 10:31:41 AM »

I watched neither "House" nor "Amazing Race" on television last night. I watched a locally-produced show about polygamy in northern Arizona.

They have polygamies in Arizona??  I thought they were only in Africa.  HHW:  entertaining AND educational, too! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2004, 10:46:06 AM »

DRJANE - when WHERE THE BOYS ARE came out on DVD last year, I posted this photo of Dolores as she is today.   ;D

Sister Dolores (if that is her "nun name") is actually the Mother Superior to a former boss of mine.  Said former boss, who was born Jewish -- to Holocaust survivors, yet -- used to manage the careers of opera singers such as Ramey, von Stade, and Upshaw (amongst others).  After her parents both  died, she entered the convent.

Let me just say that in the 2 or 2 .5 years I worked with her, Jewish or not, this was not a woman who struck me as a nun.

MBarnum

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2004, 10:49:09 AM »

Dan, check out www.oldies.com also....they have such a cool selection of CDs...and DVDs too!

Black Lagoon movies...my favorite has always been REVENGE OF THE CREATURE....love Lori Nelson and John Bromfield...and then Brett Halsey gets through into a tree which always makes me wince...ouch!

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2004, 10:50:14 AM »

Question for bk - you've mentioned that in recording a song, you may need to "comp" the vocals... what exactly does that mean?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2004, 10:54:35 AM »

Good Afternoon!

While cleaning up the kitchen last night, I happened to put on the OCR of Caroline, or Change.  As soon as I started the laundry, I started laughing at the coincidence.  And then I finally came up with a question for Ask BK/Ask DR Day:

Which cast recordings - or soundtracks - would be a complementary accompaniment to a daily activity or chore?

...Let's get creative!
Make Your Own Luck.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2004, 10:56:54 AM »

Another question for BK:  You mentioned yesterday that you were viewing a Boston performance of GRAND HOTEL.  Didn't Faye Grant make it to Boston?  Or did she leave the cast during rehearsals?  Do you recall?

Would you have gone to the lengths TT did to save the piece?  Or would you have left it as it was in Boston?

Matthew

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2004, 10:57:15 AM »

I was looking for a CD the other day of Sophie Tucker as we are going to play the Sour Kangaroo in our production of "Seussical" in that manner.  I realize that charactor should be played by an African-American, but when you don't have anyone that can do it, you have to go other ways, of course.  So anyway, I couldn't find anything in the stores, but I remember I do have a CD by our own Sharon McNight of her Sophie Tucker "act"... 'nuff said.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2004, 10:57:31 AM »

DeepDiscountDVD.com

...Must resist...

DeepDiscountCD.com

...Must resist...

...Must... must... must... re-... re-... resist..-tuh...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 10:59:35 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2004, 10:57:55 AM »

DR Jose:

Let's start with the obvious:

Showering:  "Gonna Wash That Man Right Outta My Hair"

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2004, 11:00:03 AM »

Crosswords:  Maltby and Shire's "Crossword Puzzle"  (or R&H's "A Puzzlement," I suppose)

Jennifer

« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2004, 11:04:20 AM »

SPOILERS AHEAD *****

RE: THE AMAZING RACE.

DR Dan The Man, which obnoxious guy? (there were so many!) :)

Yeah I know which one you mean (Mr. Yellow, Jonathan).

OMG, I loved last night's episode.  Great PREMIERE.  I hate the wrestlers.  I dislike the father/daughter/ grandparents/ girlfriends.

I really like the team that finished first.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2004, 11:09:13 AM »

Vacuuming:  "We'd Like to Thank You, Herbert Hoover"  or "It Sucks to Be Me"

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2004, 11:09:25 AM »

Il est arrivé!  Il est arrivé!

Non...

Not the Beaujolais Nouveau - that arrives tomorrow - the third Thursday of November, ya' know.  -Right after the stroke of midnight - at least in France...  In any case..

Il est arrivé!

My copy of Writer's Block arrived today!!  Yippee!!

Hmmm... Come tomorrow... A good mystery, and a glass/bottle of beaujolais nouveau... Hmmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2004, 11:24:17 AM »

DeepDiscountDVD.com

...Must resist...

DeepDiscountCD.com

...Must resist...

...Must... must... must... re-... re-... resist..-tuh...

...join us...join us, DR Jose...join us...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 11:53:43 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2004, 11:30:26 AM »

My copy of WRITER'S BLOCK (both of them) arrived today!  They look great! I will start reading after tonight's rehearsal!  Nicely inscribed, thanks MR BK!

I always play the MARY POPPINS soundtrack when I am cleaning!

MBARNUM the commentary on REVENGE OF THE CREATURE is very enjoyable!  
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 11:30:38 AM by JRand54 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2004, 11:32:45 AM »

Like several recent TV shows - "House" seemed just too contrived for me.  Too much of a gimmick - and the lead guy looked just too pleased with himself in the promos.  Forced and false eccentricity - can't take it.  I got the same feeling for the SHOWTIME series HUFF.....include me out.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2004, 11:33:25 AM »

Yes DRSTUART - Mother Dolores is an MS in Connecticut.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2004, 11:34:19 AM »

OMG KMART is buying Sears!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2004, 11:39:39 AM »

A question brought up by Donald's radio show last week that's been on my mind is: Who writes the dance music for Broadway musicals?

Sometimes, as with Oklahoma's dream ballet, a dance is made up of themes from the songs (arranged by Trude Rittman, I believe) but I recognized none of Hazel Flagg's themes in the selection Donald played from that show (and credited to Jule Styne).  So, when the ballet is, in that sense, original, can we safely assume the composer of the songs wrote it?

The credited dance arranger is the general writer of the dance music.  Jule Styne has gone on record as writing the Mack Sennett Ballet in HIGH BUTTON SHOES, so I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't write the HAZEL FLAGG ballet as well.  Trude did not write the dance music for OKLAHOMA!  Her first Rodgers & Hammerstein show was CAROUSEL.  She did tell me that on ONE TOUCH OF VENUS, she notated the rhythms needed for the ballet music, as she did for BRIGADOON, and the composers Weill and Lowe wrote their music to match her rhythms.  In the 1930s, with Rodgers and Cole Porter, from the scores I've examined, the dances after a song were the bailiwick of the orchestrator, but in the case of "ballets," from"The Snake in the Grass" ballet from 50 MILLION FRENCHMEN to PAL JOEY, Rodgers and Porter wrote the serious ballets.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2004, 11:48:11 AM »

JRand54, does Lori Nelson talk about her crush on John Bromfield? (I understand that Lori was a bit of a wild girl underneath that all-American good girl exterior...or at least that is what Burt Reynolds said!)

Matthew

« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2004, 11:48:54 AM »

Nice, DR Elmoore.  Is it true the Cy Coleman does his own orchestrations?  And what composer (besides Andrew Lloyd Webber) has written his own orchestrations to their shows in the past?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2004, 11:49:08 AM »

Good Afternoon!

While cleaning up the kitchen last night, I happened to put on the OCR of Caroline, or Change.  As soon as I started the laundry, I started laughing at the coincidence.  And then I finally came up with a question for Ask BK/Ask DR Day:

Which cast recordings - or soundtracks - would be a complementary accompaniment to a daily activity or chore?

...Let's get creative!

Chore, what's a chore?? ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2004, 11:49:46 AM »

...Let's get creative!

Well, let's see.  Here are some selected songs:

From Victor Herbert's SWEETHEARTS:  "Iron! Iron! Iron!"
Fanny Brice:  "Cooking Breakfast for the One I Love"
WORKING:  "Cleaning Women"

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2004, 11:52:20 AM »

SPOILERS AHEAD *****

RE: THE AMAZING RACE.
OMG, I loved last night's episode.  Great PREMIERE.  I hate the wrestlers.  I dislike the father/daughter/ grandparents/ girlfriends.

I really like the team that finished first.

I thought the ironic thing about the winning team was that they are both actors and yet they were the ones who carried on least as drama queens.  I'm not a fan of the wrestlers, either.  But I like them a whole lot better than Mr. Yellow and his wife.  Too bad they didn't opt for the ice climbing.  It would have been a perfect opportunity for her to slam one of those ice picks into his head.  I don't think anyone would have said anything about it.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2004, 11:53:15 AM »

Here's a question for everyone: What tricks do you use when you need to sleep and can't?

I've never had an answer for that one, myself.

When I was in fourth grade, one of my teachers had a trick for falling asleep, and I still use it every now and then...

Starting with my toes/feet and working up, I tense each set of muscles for a few seconds then relax... Toes, soles of my feet, calves, etc...  Sometimes I do get to my eyelids - yes, my eyelids - but I usually drift off to sleep soon after.

*However, since I seem to have grown prone to leg cramping, sometimes I skip my calves. Ouch!
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2004, 11:53:19 AM »

Like several recent TV shows - "House" seemed just too contrived for me.  Too much of a gimmick - and the lead guy looked just too pleased with himself in the promos.  Forced and false eccentricity - can't take it.  I got the same feeling for the SHOWTIME series HUFF.....include me out.

I liked HOUSE quite a bit last night.  I've liked Hugh Laurie since his Bertie Wooster days, and the writers seem to be going overboard to make him quirky.

My copy of WRITER'S BLOCK arrived as well.  I'm very happy to have it!  Dear  Friend BK, thank you for the kind words.   Just call me!

MBarnum

« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2004, 11:56:18 AM »

The lovely and talented (but not so innocent) Lori Nelson!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2004, 12:01:25 PM »

MBARNUM - yes Lori mentioned her "crush" on Bromfield - but said he was dating a dancer at the time....also talked about liking Richard Long a lot and when she went on a trip asked Suzan Ball to look after him....and she did, very well.  Richard & Suzan were married - although Suzan had a rough time with cancer and having her leg amputated.  Lori gives her props for learning to walk down the aisle on a prosthetic leg.

She mentions (twice) that she was married to Johnny Mann (of the Johnny Mann Singers, as opposed to the OTHER Johnny Mann, I guess) and is now married to a retired police officer.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up