Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THIS WAY MADNESS LIES  (Read 23883 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THIS WAY MADNESS LIES
« on: June 02, 2004, 12:02:44 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you are totally in the loop, notes-wise, and therefore you are ready to make with the postings.  I, for one, cannot wait to read them.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2004, 12:01:13 AM by bk »

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
Re:THIS WAY MADNESS LIES
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 12:17:05 AM »

"It’s Ask BK Day, the day in which you get to ask me or any dear reader whatever’s on your various and sundried minds"

I would just like to say sundried is a fun word. Reminds me of sun dried which reminds me of sun dried tomatoes. Mmmmm I love tomatoes! On that note what is your favorite food or meal that has tomatoes in some form as an ingredient? (Or if you despise tomatoes you can say that too.)
There is no music without silence, only noise...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 12:25:52 AM »

Well, I like pizza (tomato sauce and cheese and pepperoni), I like most tomato-based pasta sauces, and I love a good BLT.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 12:27:06 AM »

Sun dried can also mean we're all getting out in the sun.  That being the case, a question for all: What sports did you play when you were in school, if any?

As for Joey's question, I like tomatoes in all sorts of ways.  I like them as part of a sauce.  I like them stuffed and baked.  Good fresh tomatoes are wonderful all in themselves (and since der Brucer has about a dozen tomato plants taking over the front yard, we should have plenty later in the year).

For my own question: I sucked at sports when I was in school.  My body grew long at an unapologetic rate, and I never found my coordination.  Such is life.  In a way, I guess it was all for the best (a Stephen Schwartz ref), since I've never found basketball that thrilling a game.

How I ever got into scorekeeping for softball, well, that's a totally different story.  Maybe I'll tell it someday.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2004, 12:27:26 AM »

Welcome eight GUESTS.  

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2004, 12:34:07 AM »

I played baseball for several years in gradeschool, and basketball for two years in middle school. No sports for me eighth grade through high school. Let's say I wasn't any good at either. (Am getting better at basketball now, though its a little late) As for my question I can't pick just one. Just about anything with tomatoes is a-ok with me.
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Laura II

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2004, 12:40:29 AM »

GAAAAH I hit "post," and the topic was locked. Boo to that! I decided to give up on the madness. The madness does not exist here! No siree, Bob! Let sleeping dogs lie, but don't let madness lie. HMM I almost got mad a second ago at a boy, but I will not let him get to me. This madness will not stay with me. I'm sounding like BK!

First off:

Yay, it's Joey--I know him!!! Haha, I sound like Buddy the Elf from, well, Elf. "Santa? I know him!!"

Happy belated anniversary to Jane and Keith!!!

I have more to say, but I'll say it later.
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2004, 02:28:48 AM »

Good Morning!

-And, yes, it's 5:16AM here on the East Coast as I'm typing this... Another wired night for me.

I guess I'm still winding down from the delicious post-show tapas and sangria I had with my friend Leigh, and her new beau.  We had a splendid time, and I heartily approve of her new beau should she wish to continue with him.  -Sheesh, that sounds so clinical... In any case...  We had a great time, and the food was incredible as always.  -And I finally saved room for dessert this time - a chocolate-hazelnut torte.  Sooo good.  Rich, but not too rich.  Sweet, but not too sweet.  And the candied hazelnuts that were sprinkled on top and around the plate were addictive - well, could be addictive.  They were toasted just right, and the crunchy, sugary coating actually made them taste like Sugar Pops - or is that Sugar Smacks?  -The yellow cereal, corn based, sweet.. had the bear for it's mascot.  In any case, they were sooo good - and a new decoration to the dessert since the last time I had had it.

-And maybe if DRs SWW and DerB would like some sangria tomorrow night.... OH!  And we had the special white sangria tonight - champagne (well, Spanish cava), cognac, triple sec, fruit, etc..).  I may have to try to duplicate it for a party or two.  Or just make a small pitcher for myself sometime.  ;)

-Why do I always end up talking about food...

DR Joey - If you want to start some serious discussions on here, just ask about food.  And from your tomato question, it looks like you've already gotten a head start. ;)

As for my favorite food with tomatos - or tomatoEs, if you prefer:
Raw - A fried egg sandwich, with a thick slice of sun-ripened tomato, mayo (has to be Duke's), salt and a few grinds of pepper on white sandwich loaf bread (toasting is optional).  And since tomatoes are about to come into season here in Virginia...-the Hanover tomatos are really good and flavorful.
Cooked - Tie between pizza and pasta - almost any variety/type/style/etc.

OK - Time to try to go bed...  At least I have nothing to do until show time... :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2004, 02:32:29 AM »

Oh, as for sports, I never played on a team in school, but I did play soccer (was pretty good), and baseball (totally sucked since I was too scared to catch fly balls - I lost many a game for my team).  *And one time I did try to catch a fly ball... it grazed the top of my glove and landed right in my right eye.  Thankfully, I just ended up with a black eye, but if you thought I was scared to catch fly balls before that... WHOA! ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2004, 02:46:28 AM »

OH!  And as for the fried egg and tomato sandwich... Just a tomato sandwich can be wonderful if the tomato is wonderful.  (And even a fried egg sandwich can be wonderful too.)

-Oh, and the big Greek Festival is this weekend in Richmond and I'll be home for it!!!! Yippee!!!!  Gyros, souvlaki, leg of lamb, yanni, spanakopita, tiropita, the other "-pitas", keftedes, saganaki, moussaka, kalamaria, hummous, dolmades, taramosalata, avgolemono soup, loukamides, koubarides, baklava (of all types), galaktaburiko (hmmm, the custard!), etc.  -And since I'll be home on Saturday afternoon, that means I can go Saturday afternoon/evening, and on Sunday too!!!  *I can't wait to have one or two batches of the loukamides (I think that's the name), the fried balls of dough, that are then drenched in honey and cinnamon.  HHmmm....  And those almond crescent cookies...  -And, yes, I will be walking to it, since it's only a mile from my apartment, so that should "help". :)  Don't worry, I'll be pacing myself.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jed

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2004, 02:46:31 AM »

Oh, as for sports, I never played on a team in school, but I did play soccer (was pretty good), and baseball (totally sucked since I was too scared to catch fly balls - I lost many a game for my team).  *And one time I did try to catch a fly ball... it grazed the top of my glove and landed right in my right eye.  Thankfully, I just ended up with a black eye, but if you thought I was scared to catch fly balls before that... WHOA! ;)

My dear friend Briar also has a fear of balls coming towards her face.  
Yes, you can all rest assured we've made many a joke out of this over the years! :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jennifer

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2004, 05:18:31 AM »

Yep food is a good topic! :)

Btw, since pizza was mentioned it reminds me that I tried something very interesting this weekend.  Smoked meat pizza.  A friend ordered it, and there was way too much.  So I took it home and it was simply delicious.  It is not something I would have ever ordered.  But it had smoked meat on the top and a lot layered under the cheese.  

Jennifer

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2004, 05:23:16 AM »

DR Danise: Re: what you said about the Milford and how you would never stay there again.

Now I'm not sure what size room you got.  There are some smaller rooms. And it sounds like that is what you had at first.  Although the room you ended up with (that fit two twin beds) does still not sound like a regular room.

You just have to be forceful until you are happy.  I always make sure to get two double/queen size beds.  Because in order to have them, the room has to be big enough to fit them both. :)

Most NYC hotel rooms that I've seen are similar size (that fit the 2 double beds).

I

Jennifer

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2004, 05:27:06 AM »

Comments on MAMMA MIA. Yeah!

Okay I love that show!  I think if you like ABBA's music you will like it.  However, you also have to realize what it is.  It's one of those shows that has pre-existing songs woven into it.  Now MANY theatre types will not like that.  But I will say this, the songs DO fit, and quite well.

Also, there is not a hugely detailed story.  There is a plot  (it's the wedding of the heroine Sophie and she tries to find out which of 3 men is her father).  Just realize the plot is not extremely complex.

That said, if what I described sounds appealing, then I think you would enjoy the show.

It is extremely fun, a feel-good show.  It makes people very happy.

I've seen it twice and would go again in a second.

Ben

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2004, 05:33:04 AM »

Welcome, Joey.

I said it last night but I'll say it again. What a wonderful night we had last evening, Elmore, Penny, Jason and I.

No questions at this point.

Mamma Mia. I agreee, if you are familiar with and enjoy ABBA, and go into it expecting nothing more than a night of popular music woven into a story, you will probably enjoy the show. When I saw it, the best thing in the show (at the Cadillac Wintergarden Theatre) was the lovely Judy Kaye.

Ben

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2004, 05:37:37 AM »

I mostly sucked at sports, especially things like basketball (it's not my fault I'm short and I'm forced to play that stupid game in high school gym!!! Do you think I like it you stupid jocks who can't even spell your name without a cheat sheet - OK, rant over;-) though now I'm a decent bowler. I can't say I enjoy many sports but I don't loathe them the way I used to when they were forced on me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2004, 05:42:31 AM »

Uh-oh!  The only other DRs that are logged in at the moment are Ben and Jennifer.

Bennifer is Back, and HHW's got 'em!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2004, 05:54:00 AM »

Right now it looks like Bemily and Dan-Dan are here :-)

Emily

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2004, 05:56:38 AM »

DR Jose, the only time I have ever gotten even remotely close to being pukey-why's-the-world-spinning-oops-there's-the-floor drunk it was on sangria.

Thanks for the memory :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2004, 05:57:13 AM »

Bemily?  I like it! :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2004, 06:15:22 AM »

Welcome to brand spanking-new DR Joey!

My family has grown our own backyard tomatoes as far back as I can remember.  Plus, I buy farm fresh Jersey Tomatoes from the road-side stands while I'm waiting for the home-growns to ripen.  My favorite uses for them depended on the type of tomato.  Anything of the bell or Roma variety are smashed and mashed and reduced into zesty, garlicy tomato sauce.  The larger Big Boy or Big Girls are great on sandwiches or hamburgers.  The medium Rutgers (Go Scarlett Knights!) or Supersonics are delicious in salads, soups and are sometimes sweet enough to eat whole.  And my dad made us fried green tomatoes years before Mary Stuart Masterson was even born.  Yummmmm...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2004, 06:16:29 AM »

Since I like tomatoes in season, crusty Italian bread, garlic, olive oil and basil, I'd have to say bruschetta is favorite tomato dish. Eggplant parmesan in a traditional tomato sauce is also a winner.

Sports? Thanks for ranting for the both of us, Ben. I didn't reply to the height TOD, but you and I could exchange clothes, and our sports-related experiences seem similar too. I was okay at individual sports/exercises - swimming, chinups, rope-climbing. But forget about teams. A few months ago a friend got me started on a weight-lifting program. I'm enjoying it, but the only drawback is that (TOO-MUCH-INFORMATION ALERT) I seem to be growing breasts.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2004, 06:16:31 AM »

LauraII, I saw that you were replying at about ten to twelve -which is why I kept posting warnings because I didn't want you to lose your reply.  Of course, since you replying you couldn't see the warnings.  And, of course, this way madness lies.  I did leave it unlocked five more minutes more than usual, though, if that counts for anything.  Actually, I happen to know "that" counts for "anything" because when I woke up this morning I heard "that" counting for "anything".  It was very sweet to hear "that" counting "one, two, seven, twelve".  I liked it.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2004, 06:26:21 AM »

Welcome, new DR Joey. I'm sure you will enjoy your time spent at HHW.

Thanks to all the DRs who responded about MAMMA MIA. It pretty much echoed what most people have told me about it. I bought the cast album in a used rack for $7 and have never played it, but I will before I go to the show. My only familiarity with ABBA is from the PRISCILLA movie.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2004, 06:29:14 AM »

As for the tomoto question, my favorite food with tomatoes is ketchup. No, I don't eat it raw, but I have loved it ever since I was tiny whereas I wouldn't eat a raw tomato when I was growing up to save my life.

With age comes wisdom and now I love tomatoes on just about everything.

I'm going out tonight with an ex- and his new lover, and I suspect I'll have a club sandwich at the sports bar we're going to. So, I'll get my tomatoes today for sure.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 06:30:32 AM by Matt H. »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2004, 06:29:29 AM »

For Ask BK - When will the next interview be posted to this here site and with whom?

I saw CAROLINE OR CHANGE last night.  Sorry Idina, Kristen, Donna and Stephanie, but it will probably be (and should be) Tonya getting the prize with the plastic base.  This was one of the most powerful performances I have ever seen and is everything it is cracked up to be.  In fact the whole cast is excellent and makes the material seem better than it is.  (I never thought I'd see the day when  Alice Playten played a grandmother).  As for the show itself, there are some problems.  First of all, the realistic story of a Black maid working for a Jewish family in 1963 Louisiana is a good idea and much of the ideas involved are very powerful.  However it doesn't need singing appliances, a women in the moon who comments on the action or a Motown-style girl trio (there are now 3 musicals on Broadway with Supreme clones).  They totally distract from the reality of the situation.  However this comes from the same man who had angels crashing through glass ceilings in a PWAs bedroom, so I guess it can be expected.  The score is sung through, and the connecting material is not nearly as good as the major arias, duets, and ensemble numbers.  But when Tonya sings you forget everything else.  The number she will be doing Sunday night is her 11:00 number.  It (or rather her performance of it) is powerful, but I'm afraid it is not the kind of number that can stand on its own without the previous two hour setup.  By the way, the house was full with standing room on a Tuesday night.  And if the show itself is less than one might hope for, the audience saw a performance they will remember the rest of their lives.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2004, 06:29:50 AM »

Whilst I didn't care for Mamma Mia all that much (it was so overamplified that it literally gave me a bad headache here at the Shubert Theater), I do really enjoy ABBA and I also enjoy Abba Zabbas.  It's not unenjoyable, though, but it does boast one of the ugliest sets I've ever seen, right up there with Aspects of Love in that regard.  Thoroughly Modern Millie also boasts sets that are not very attractive.  Maybe it's a trend.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2004, 06:31:36 AM »

I'm not sure about the next interview.  I have to take the blame somewhat because it takes me a long time to do the questions, and then it takes a long time to edit them.  I used to have help with the latter, but that isn't the case so much anymore.  We will have more, I do promise you that.  And we do have some interesting things planned for the near future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2004, 06:31:58 AM »

Welcome to DRJOEY.

I like tomatoes on my cheeseburgers and in my salads!  We used to go into my grandmother's garden in the summer time with a small shaker of Morton's salt and eat a tomato or two warm from the vine.  Deeee-licious.  There are now six houses built where the garden used to be.  8-(

I have my fingers crossed for the Calgary Flames over the TB Lightning in the Stanley Cup playoffs - it's a toss up right now.  And my Pacers got eliminated from the NBA playoffs last night.  I enjoy watching Hockey on television, and sometimes tennis, but other than that....but in the morning...NO.  (A Cole Porter reference.)

I have never seen MAMMA MIA - although I liked a lot of ABBA songs, and I enjoy the soundtrack to Muriel's Wedding - I think I might like the show, but I HATE audiences that dance in the aisles and sing along, and I have heard that that happens at MM to some extent.

PHANTOM....still like it...listen to the CD often, and hope to see it again when it comes through town in the fall.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2004, 06:33:44 AM »

That article Jennifer provided the addy for yesterday seemed fairly certain that the Tony would go to either Tonya or Idina.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up