Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FIREWORKS!  (Read 23664 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
FIREWORKS!
« on: July 03, 2004, 11:59:55 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, your wieners are at the ready, as are your taters, your pulled pork, your burgers and your kabobs.  So, let's have a swellegant 4th of July filled with fireworks-laden postings.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 12:00:49 AM by bk »

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:FIREWORKS!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2004, 12:18:35 AM »

First post AND pulled pork!

« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 12:19:58 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004, 12:19:31 AM »

Here's a question for all DRs: What movies do you like to watch on the 4th of July?

(All right, I realize that the question is USA-centric.  But I think it says something about the USA that we celebrate our independence, and have Memorial Day to commemorate out foreign wars, but don't have a holiday to celebrate our Civil War.  We may be rude, pushy and tacky, but we're not total cretins.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2004, 12:21:07 AM »

Naked actors. What will they think of next! Skammen.
I once saw Keifer Sutherland naked in a play in Toronto - but I don't remember what he looked like. I also saw Diana Rigg and Keith Michell naked in ABELARD AND HELOISE in London. I don't remember what they looked like.

Panni

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2004, 12:22:36 AM »

Welcome back, TCB!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2004, 12:23:05 AM »

Re movies for the 4th: I'm very traditional here.  1776 and The Music Man.  Daniels and Preston, respectively.

This could be joined by Pollyanna, but we don't have that on DVD yet.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2004, 12:31:08 AM »

YANKEE DOODLE DANDY would be a good one.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2004, 12:32:16 AM »

Dear BK: To get across to the actors auditioning for the second male lead exactly what they're in for, will they have to, um, show up in some kind of costume?

After the recent dust-up with Colin Farrell's nude scenes being cut in an upcoming film, because what he's got is too distracting for the audience, having this as part of the audition process might prove beneficial.

(Just resist the urge to yell "Film at eleven!")

Panni

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2004, 12:32:17 AM »

And on that note (B-flat), goodnight!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2004, 12:33:26 AM »

Welcome forewards, TCB!  

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2004, 12:33:59 AM »

Thank you, Panni, and all the others who have welcomed my back me back to HHW - the best site on the internet!  It is great to be back.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
“One thing’s universal,

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2004, 12:34:21 AM »

My time to call it a night.  Tomorrow is another working day.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2004, 12:37:31 AM »

Welcome forewards, TCB!  

Thank you, SWW.  Good night, one and all.
“One thing’s universal,

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2004, 12:39:26 AM »

Well I shall have to go out in the morning and buy BRIDGE MIX.  I have become hungry for BRIDGE MIX.

Good RIGHTS vibes - and good CALLBACK vibes!!!!

Hmmmmmmm.....4th of July movies....POLLYANNA to be sure!  

For HHW'ers of a certain age....what was the first STEREO album/LP that you purchased?

Mine was a Kirby Stone Four album....49 cents!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2004, 12:51:18 AM »

First Stereo LP - maybe "Golden Piano Hits" - Ferrante & Teicher. I remember every stereogram retailer seemed to be playing "A Swinging Safari" by Bert Kaempfert.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2004, 12:54:52 AM »

I also think, for some reason, that my first stereo album was a Ferrante and Teicher album.  In the Kritzer book I think it's Gypsy, but I'm sure it was really Ferrante and Teicher.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2004, 01:02:07 AM »

First post AND pulled pork!
Sounds like a personal problem! ;) ::)

Here's a question for all DRs: What movies do you like to watch on the 4th of July?
I was at my sister's house to day after work (we live right next door to each other) and while playing Phase 10 (a very fun card game), we listened to the DVD of "1776," which was on in the living room while we were in the dining room (we couldn't see the TV at all).

Our tradition is to watch that (and we may still watch it while actually sitting facing the TV) and "Independence Day" with Will Smith, Jeff Goldblum, Bill Pullman and Harvey Fierstein (who dies in the movie :'() on July 4th, or the closest weekend day to the 4th.  Everyone on both sides of my niece's family (who all live within one block of each other, except her father...my ex-brother-in-law) will come over to my sister's for a barbecue!  A very good time will be had by all.  I bought the necessary ingredients to make (well, assemble) S'mores!  Genuine Hershey chocolate bars, Jet-Puft (sp?) marshmallows and graham crackers of a national brand (which I forget). MMMM!!

I have to be at my sister's at about 1:00 p.m. today and I'll try and check in every once in a while.  I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to be at chat.

I hope everyone has a SAFE AND SANE 4TH OF JULY!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2004, 04:10:37 AM »

Happy 4th of July to all of you. (A belated Happy Canada day too).

Went to a quite delightful "quiet" movie today - "Arthur's Dyke". Very British in it's soft humour. Not for the Sandler or Carey audience out there.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Robin

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2004, 05:15:35 AM »

In Japan, sushi is quite often a part of a bento box meal, which is taken with the diner to wherever the meal is to be eaten.  This has a tradition dating for hundreds of years, to before there was refrigeration.  Maki, the rolled form of sushi, is particularly popular in bento boxes.
While quality and freshness are key to Japanese cuisine, there's never been a dictum that sushi has to be eaten "within minutes" of it's preparation.  Somebody seems to have been pulling Noel's leg on this one, making up rules where there really are none.

In fact, the sushi was picked up (by Michael and I) at a lovely place called "Maki of Japan".  It was very delicious.  I especially liked the eel rolls; however, I believe it was the quantity of the foodstuffs that gave me an unquiet belly last night, not the variety.  For a good three hours, I pretty much did nothing but eatin' and conversatin'.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2004, 05:32:59 AM »

I hadn't really thought about what movie I'd watch today in honor of the 4th. I have the special features on the DRIVING MISS DAISY DVD to watch, and I have more episodes on the DICK VAN DYKE 3rd season set to finish, too. I had planned MYSTIC RIVER for my next movie, but maybe that's not exactly the movie with the right spirit for the holiday, so I may save it for tomorrow.

Well, I got YANKEE DOODLE DANDY for Christmas and haven't cracked that open yet. Probably that one.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2004, 05:34:35 AM »

As for my chat tonight vote, I'm not sure I'll be back home from the cookout. It starts at 5 p.m. and I'd certainly LIKE to be home by 9. SIX FEEET UNDER is a rerun tonight, so in theory, I could participate, but I can't be sure I'll be home.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2004, 05:37:24 AM »

No question about my first stereo LP. It was the London cast of MY FAIR LADY. And I remember the next one, too. The original Broadway cast of THE MUSIC MAN (but I always thought that stereo LP sounded too echoy). Ah, I was a critic even then.

Jennifer

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2004, 06:25:37 AM »

Good morning all!

Question about the auditions BK.  How many people are in this play?  Originally you made it sound like Tammy and 2 of her male friends were doing the play.  So what roles are you auditioning?  And can we have more details about the auditions?  Did DR Jrand's cards give an accurate reading?

Robin

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2004, 07:03:26 AM »

For HHW'ers of a certain age....what was the first STEREO album/LP that you purchased?

The Complete Works of Edgard Varese, Volume 2, conducted (I think) by Robert Kraft.  There was a picture of the composer (a really odd-looking guy in a mad scientist way) looking really, really serious superimposed on an abstract painting on the cover.

On Side One was the complete Arcana; Side Two was Ameriques and Density 21.5.  
« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 07:09:59 AM by Robin »
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2004, 07:16:01 AM »

... and have Memorial Day to commemorate out foreign wars, but don't have a holiday to celebrate our Civil War.  We may be rude, pushy and tacky, but we're not total cretins.)

I am loathe to take issue with Dear Partner (actually I'm not, but BK has this "thing" about civilized discourse) but we do have a holiday to celebrate our Civil War Dead. It was official proclaimed in 1868:

General Order No. 11

The 30th day of May, 1868, is designated for the purpose of strewing with flowers or otherwise decorating the graves of comrades who died in defense of their country during the late rebellion, and whose bodies now lie in almost every city, village, and hamlet church-yard in the land. In this observance no form of ceremony is prescribed, but posts and comrades will in their own way arrange such fitting services and testimonials of respect as circumstances may permit.

Although the proclamation is a bit "yankee-centric" flowers were placed on both Union and Conferate graves at Arlington.

A Memorial Day website reports the history thus:

While Waterloo N.Y. was officially declared the birthplace of Memorial Day by President Lyndon Johnson in May 1966, it's difficult to prove conclusively the origins of the day. It is more likely that it had many separate beginnings; each of those towns and every planned or spontaneous gathering of people to honor the war dead in the 1860's tapped into the general human need to honor our dead, each contributed honorably to the growing movement that culminated in Gen Logan giving his official proclamation in 1868. It is not important who was the very first, what is important is that Memorial Day was established. Memorial Day is not about division. It is about reconciliation; it is about coming together to honor those who gave their all.

Memorial Day was officially proclaimed on 5 May 1868 by General John Logan, national commander of the Grand Army of the Republic, in his General Order No. 11, and was first observed on 30 May 1868, when flowers were placed on the graves of Union and Confederate soldiers at Arlington National Cemetery. The first state to officially recognize the holiday was New York in 1873. By 1890 it was recognized by all of the northern states. The South refused to acknowledge the day, honoring their dead on separate days until after World War I (when the holiday changed from honoring just those who died fighting in the Civil War to honoring Americans who died fighting in any war). It is now celebrated in almost every State on the last Monday in May (passed by Congress with the National Holiday Act of 1971 (P.L. 90 - 363) to ensure a three day weekend for Federal holidays), though several southern states have an additional separate day for honoring the Confederate war dead: January 19 in Texas, April 26 in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and Mississippi; May 10 in South Carolina; and June 3 (Jefferson Davis' birthday) in Louisiana and Tennessee.

End of History Lesson

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2004, 07:39:54 AM »

First movie that came to mind is YANKEE DOODLE DANDY.  I think MUSIC MAN is a good choice.

We will go to the Ashland 4th of July Parade and craft fair today.  If I last long enough we will watch the fireworks tonight.  I am still tired and now have a sore throat.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 07:42:08 AM by Jane »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2004, 07:43:46 AM »

SWW, as you requested.

MANDEL BROT

1 cup sugar
1 cup oil
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix the above ingredients, and add

3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¾ cups chopped almonds
(additions might include ¼ cp chocolate chips, dried cherries or be creative-I prefer just the almonds)

Lightly grease a cookie sheet

Make three loaves using the backs of large spoons.  The dough will be sticky.

Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes
Cool
Slice
Turn and bake 7 to 10 minutes
Turn and bake another 7 to 10 minutes

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2004, 07:47:34 AM »

Good Morning!

Happy Fourth of July!  (Whether or not it's a National/Federal holiday for you ;-))

My niece woke me up this morning by singing, "Three Blind Mice."  -And like her uncle, she only really knows the first part of the song, "Three blind mice... Three blind mice..." ;)  Then my sister-in-law prepared some "extra" breakfast so that I could also have some bacon, eggs, biscuits and coffee.  And I also had a small bowl of cereal with my niece and nephew - some limited edition Spider-Man cereal.  Sweet, but good.  And it actually was the perfect 4th of July cereal since it was red, white and blue - well, maybe more like red, wheat and blue.

And now...

Fourth of July movies...  I don't think I've ever had a Fourth of July movie.  However, when I was younger, the local TV station would run musicals all day, and I always remember The Music Man and South Pacific in the mix.

I'm heading over to the party/gathering that my friend, Leigh, is having this afternoon, and then I'll be going to the fireworks somewhere tonight with my brother and his family.  So, as for chat... I probably won't be able to make it.  -One of the downfalls of living on the East Coast... Ah, well... :P

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2004, 07:52:42 AM »

Happy 4th to all those USA readers.
Never stop dreaming.

Panni

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2004, 07:54:12 AM »

Good Morning. It is not a sunny fourth so far in the City of Studio. But being LA, it probably will be.
Off for my walk, It's not even 8 and I'm already behind.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up