Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FIREWORKS!  (Read 23667 times)

Michael

Re:FIREWORKS!
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2004, 08:03:59 AM »

Well it was raining, damp and hot here. But I do not complain
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2004, 08:19:24 AM »

It started off rainy and cloudy here, too, but now the sun has come out with a vengeance. Should be a fine day for a cookout.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2004, 08:27:11 AM »

From DR Noel:
Sushi at a picnic?  How is this possible?

The whole point of sushi is to start with incredibly fresh fish and to eat it as soon as it's cut, within a matter of minutes.

Now I'm trying to picture this, really I am.  Somebody with knives and cutting boards and those roll-the-roll mats accompanies you to the picnic.  But how does the fish stay fresh?  I'm assuming styrofoam coolers are your method of refrigeration.  Good enough for cook-out meats, sure, but uncooked fish?  Ew and double ew!

Then from DR SWW:
In Japan, sushi is quite often a part of a bento box meal, which is taken with the diner to wherever the meal is to be eaten.  This has a tradition dating for hundreds of years, to before there was refrigeration.  Maki, the rolled form of sushi, is particularly popular in bento boxes.
While quality and freshness are key to Japanese cuisine, there's never been a dictum that sushi has to be eaten "within minutes" of it's preparation.  Somebody seems to have been pulling Noel's leg on this one, making up rules where there really are none.

Then from DR Robin:
In fact, the sushi was picked up (by Michael and I) at a lovely place called "Maki of Japan".  It was very delicious.  I especially liked the eel rolls; however, I believe it was the quantity of the foodstuffs that gave me an unquiet belly last night, not the variety.  For a good three hours, I pretty much did nothing but eatin' and conversatin'.

I was thinking they probably served rolls - or maki sushi - at the picnic.  Although places like Costco and Sam's Club do make big sushi platters-to-go now...  And with more of those in-grocery-store sushi counters popping up all over the place...

Ideally, sushi should be prepared right before you eat it.  Well, sashimi and nigiri sushi should be - the type of sushi that truly features the fish.  This way the fish and rice are at the right temperature and texture.  But the key word here is "ideally".  Nigiri sushi pops up on bento boxes all the time.  *And although the FDA may not approve, as long as the fish was fresh and safe at the time it was cut, it's shelf-life - although still short - is longer than you would think.

And in the "science and art" of sushi, the fish should not be that far below room and/or body temperature.  If it's too cold, the flavor is muted, lost.  If it's too warm, then it's cooked.  ;)  But it should be cool enough that the warmth of your mouth - your body temp - should allow the flavor of the fish to come out fully - and melt the fat in the fish.  Fatty tuna, toro, is the ideal test for this.  There is even some folklore out there that the fish should be same temperature as a geisha's hands.

Maki sushi, rolls, however, can be prepared in advance, and usually are for parties and gatherings.  However, when large amounts of maki are prepared, the types of "fillings" involved are usually "safer" - vegetables, cooked shrimp, surimi, smoked salmon, eel, etc.  But if fresh fish is used - tuna, mackerel, salmon, etc. - as long as the rolls are kept properly "cool", all is well.  *When I was in Melbourne, the array of maki sushi stands in the shopping district was astounding - and their wares were quite good.

There is a line of frozen(!) sushi that may be making it's way to the States soon.  It comes in a specially designed microwavable package that allows the fish to be defrosted without being cooked, and lets the rice to be brought up to an ideal temperature.  I've seen write ups about it here and there, and I have some friends in Japan who give it the "thumbs up".  In other words, anything is possible.

OH! And I have been at a picnic where someone was rolling rolls.  All the prep work - slicing - was done in advance.  It was just a matter of combining the rice, fish and vegetables according to the diners' requests.  And, I, myself, have had a sushi party before.  As long as the prep is taken care of, it's actually not too hard a feat to pull off once the guests arrive.  Just remember, if you start with bad fish, you will end up with bad sushi no matter how much soy sauce and wasabi you put on it!
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2004, 08:29:35 AM »

BRIDGE MIX.  I have become hungry for BRIDGE MIX.

For HHW'ers of a certain age....what was the first STEREO album/LP that you purchased?

For those of you who spent last night tossing and tunring over of the origin of "Bridge Mix" I offer the following:

Those of us who grew up in the days when "dirty Jap" was a phrase used in polite conversation, and school-yard selections were gained by "Eeeny, meeney, miney moe, catch (and it wasn't Indian) by the toe", our parents invited guests for Bridge Parties. The guests sat in folding Bridge Chairs, around a Bridge Table, which was lit by a Bridge Lamp, and was covered with a Bridge Table Cover to keep the messy Bridge Mix from staining the table top.

And since my youth was spent in these neanderthal times, my prized first LPs were mono. (Bi-nural sound was only available on Webcor wire recorders). My move to Stereophonic sound was by way of reel-to-reel tape and my first purchase was "Madama Butterfly" with Renata Tebaldi.

der Brucer (who is still looking at boxes of mono LPs)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2004, 08:35:48 AM »

One small scene of male nudity?  May I hazard a guess... Douglas Carter Beane's THE COUNTRY CLUB ?

As for SHALL WE DANCE, I loved that movie and will not even see the remake.  At least it could be worse... the J Low version could be a remake of the Fred & Ginger film of the same name.

The original film reminded me of a job I had for a short time.  I was head bookkeeper for the Chicago Fred Astaire Dance Studios.  I left because I was too honest and the bosses were crooks.  The way they took advantage of these poor lonely people who took ballroom dance as a way to meet other people was just awful.  The "teachers" were salespeople who were often only one or two lessons ahead of the students.  Their main job was to sign up these ppor souls for more and more classes.  They would have "contests" where everyone would "win" a First Place Medal.  A couple of people complained to Mr. Astaire who couldn't comment because he had sold the use of his name and image.  When the ads started featuring pictures of Fred and Ginger, Ginger sued and got her pictures removfed in record time.

Favorite "teacher"/student remark I overheared:

Student (after first class): Thanks.  I'll be back next Wednesday.
"Teacher": That's a week away.  You have to come back tomorrow and every day.
Student: Why?
"Teacher: Do you remember what you had for dinner last Wednesday?  It's the same with dancing.  You'll forget what you learned if you wait a week.
Student: Okay.  See you tomorrow.

Note: This was Chicago in the 70s.  I don't know if the other areas were as crooked or if this continues today.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

td

• td
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2004, 08:37:16 AM »

I do believe the first stereo album I purchased (with my allowance money) was the original soundtrack of MARY POPPINS, an album which I have had in all of its incarnations, covers and styles EXCEPT for mono.
I KNOW that the first Broadway album I had was THE MUSIC MAN, given to me by a kind cousing on my 6th birthday.
Usually on the 4th of July, I put in the laserdisc of 1776, but this year, I think I'll do the Cagney movie, since I, too, haven't watched my DVD yet. . . .
And there is a holiday to celebrate the Civil War isn't there?  I seem to remember a Broadway musical dealing with it. . . .PARADE.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2004, 08:44:33 AM »

Just returned from my walk. There is going to be a neighborhood 4th of July Parade this morning. Signs have been up all week. I wasn't going to go, but seeing all the flags out on my walk and having people waving at me and saying "See you at the parade!" has made me rethink. I feel like I've just walked into a production of THE MUSIC MAN. But the real reason I want to go now is that the script I'm working on takes place over the summer holidays in a small town in Iowa. I wasn't thinking at all of the 4th, but now I believe I could use a town parade as an important sequence for my maIn character. So this is research, folks.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2004, 09:06:42 AM »

One small scene of male nudity?  May I hazard a guess... Douglas Carter Beane's THE COUNTRY CLUB ?

Now I may have mis-read some of bk's more recent posts, but I believe the name and author of said play with "one small scene of male nudity" has already been revealed...  Just check his last 10-50 posts, and I'm sure you'll find it.

;)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 09:17:02 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2004, 09:16:16 AM »

Or... Here's the latest mini-saga involving the play in capsule form:

Haines His Way / Daily Discussions / Re:A FERVENT WISH   on: July 01, 2004, 06:10:50 PM  
Late-breaking news: Tammy just talked to the author's agent for our second backup play and she said we definitely have the rights, she just doesn't know who's going to draw up the contract (apparently it's with one of the play services now, but not one we've dealt with) or what the per-show fee is.  So, we've got to have a casting session on Saturday and lock in a cast by Monday or Tuesday.  Of the three plays, I just about like this one the best, for several reasons.  It's not as controversial as our first backup play, The Shape of Things by Neil LaBute.  But Tammy's role in the second backup is more likeable and friendly and I think that's important.  The audience will not like the character in The Shape of Things.  In any case, unless something goes terribly awry (hopefully it can't, given that it was the author's AGENT who said we definitely have the rights), we'll be doing Rebecca Gilman's Blue Surge.  The show was originally done in Chicago at The Goodman and then at The Public in NY, both productions directed by the great Robert Falls.  It was done last year at the Magic Theater in SF, but this will be its LA premiere.

Haines His Way / Daily Discussions / Re:A FERVENT WISH   on: July 01, 2004, 06:42:42 PM  
So, I'm happy to announce (barring anything crazy happening) that the play we'll be doing is Rebecca Gilman's Blue Surge.  I really like it, and it will be fun to work on.  Terrific role for Tammy, and the other four characters are all interesting and good parts.  Totally different than our other two choices.  Blue Surge was originally directed by Robert Falls in Chicago and then at the Public in NY.  If anyone saw it there, I have some questions about the set.

Haines His Way / Daily Discussions / Re:A FERVENT WISH   on: July 01, 2004, 08:34:45 PM  
In more fun news, our theater just told us that despite what they'd said earlier in the week, we now cannot push our opening one week.  So, we now have three weeks to get this thing together (and a week of tech).  Hopefully I'll get good actors who can and will work hard.

Haines His Way / Daily Discussions / Re:A FERVENT WISH   on: July 02, 2004, 12:32:51 AM  
Been reading Blue Surge, getting all sorts of ideas for set and lighting and how I can stage it fluidly.  Fun.  My set designer is reading it, but we may have to get someone else - she's feeling a bit bewitched, bothered and bewildered having designed one set, being told we can't do that play, then having read another play and then being told we can't do that one either (not that she designed anything for that).  I'd like her to stay on board but only if she has the right attitude and spirit.

Haines His Way / Daily Discussions / Re:BEWITCHED, BOTHERED AND BEWILDERED   on: July 02, 2004, 01:47:36 PM  
Well, you won't believe it - I can barely believe it myself - we've once again been put in a comprimising postition with play rights.  The author's agent, who told us three times yesterday not to worry that the rights were ours, has turned us over to the play service that licenses the show, now saying "I don't think there'll be any problem."  We've told her that that is NOT what she said yesterday and we've also talked to the play service (who are very nice).  The only problem?  There's another production opening two days before we close.  Small theater company.  But we're holding firm, hanging tough and need all the vibes we can get.  Damn them, damn them all to hell.  I am so tired of incompetence.

Haines His Way / Daily Discussions / Re:BEWITCHED, BOTHERED AND BEWILDERED   on: July 02, 2004, 04:53:51 PM  
Back home and no news, so that means Tuesday morning.  We've been told that they will do their best to accomodate both productions, and yes, we're willing to shave a week off the end of the run and just do those three performances on Sundays during our five instead of six weeks.  It's definitely not unheard of to have the same play being done in more than one venue at one time - last year there were three productions of Master Class, two in LA and one in the Valley, all running at the same time.  That's NOT the case here - we'd be done by the time they go up, and the fact is we're only playing a total of eighteen performances over five or six weeks, so that isn't even going to take business from them really.

And to quote The King & I - Etc., etc., etc...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2004, 09:19:09 AM »

OH!  Now that I've turned on the TV, I'm reminded how I normally spend part of my 4th of July... Wimbledon!  Of course, they had another rain delay this morning/afternoon, so the match is still going on at this time.

-Boy, do I miss the days of Connors, Borg, McEnroe, etc.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2004, 09:29:51 AM »

Greetings, Dear Readers!  Happy Independence Day to the true-blooded citizens of the U.S. of A. and Happy July 4th to everyone else!

Yesterday I went to see Spider-Man 2, which falls into a genre of film that seldom finds its way to the top of my list.  I really enjoyed this picture, though!  The characters (including the villain, believe it or not) have dimension and the special effects are exhilarating.  There's excellent counter-balance, too, between the two major plot lines of Spidey's efforts against the evil Doc Ock and the relationship between Peter Parker and Mary Jane.  Acting is well done all around.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2004, 09:45:05 AM »

Last night I went to the Fountain Theatre, Dear Readers, which seats all of 78 people, to see the world premiere production of Athol Fugard's Exits and Entrances.  This is an autobiographical reminiscence of the playwright's relationship with Andre Huguenet, the leading Afrikaans actor of his day in South Africa, who died in 1961.

Beyond its meaning as stage directions, the title refers to the transition of South Africa from British sovreignty to self-rule and the shift in the theatre from classics (extended scenes from Oedipus Rex, The Prisoner and Hamlet are interpolated into the play) and Huguenet's broad, old world acting style to the contemporaneous real-world and politically charged dramas typified by Fugard's work.  It also alludes to the decline of the actor's career and the emergence of that of the playwright.

This is a two character play that is extremely well acted.  The intimacy of the theatre added considerably to my engagement with the scenes being played out on the stage.

Dear Reader Los Angelenos, I highly recommend you hie yourself to the Fountain Theatre see this.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 09:51:04 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2004, 10:02:20 AM »

Panni you should have come to our small town parade.  

Unfortunately it doesn’t look as if we will be going.  Keith woke up feeling worse than I do.  I know this because he went back to bed-the guy never does that unless he is really sick.

SHALL WE DANCE will be on the LOVE channel July 13th.  If the station has commercials during the movie I think the interruptions might ruin it.

I’m going back to bed.  Have a nice day.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2004, 10:10:12 AM »

So, you held auditions and neglected to tell the aspirants they'd be appearing in the altogether in the play?

Here's an idea, if your chosen actor is too modest to do that: the moment before the disrobing is supposed to happen, have Tammi yell "Bring in the stunt c---!!!" and someone else steps into his invisible shoes.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2004, 10:22:01 AM »

So, you held auditions and neglected to tell the aspirants they'd be appearing in the altogether in the play?

Here's an idea, if your chosen actor is too modest to do that: the moment before the disrobing is supposed to happen, have Tammi yell "Bring in the stunt c---!!!" and someone else steps into his invisible shoes.

No, we didn't neglect to tell them - it was in the casting breakdowns.  I merely want Tammy to REMIND them in case it somehow slipped by.  The casting breakdown services insist you mention nudity - they don't accept the listing unless you do.

The play is five characters.  The three character play went away.

Emily

« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2004, 10:24:26 AM »

Happy American Independence Day! :)

Today I will spend procrastinating about my take-home final exam for my (thank God) final summer course.  I know I'll thank myself for taking these two classes during May and June... but right now I think it was a bad idea.

Wimbledon had a fairly good championship final match-up.  Roddick and Federer are both very different, but still very good players and it was nice seeing their conflicting styles in such a high-pressure situation. :D
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

MBarnum

« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2004, 10:30:09 AM »

Spent all day Saturday at the Blues Festival at Portland's Waterfront Park in downtown Portland. It was a blast. Went with my buddy Mark, our buddy Terry, Terry current boyfriend Quentin, Terry's ex-wife Lavonna, and Terry's 3 kids (ages 3, 4, and 13). A fine group of people to hang out with! The music was fun and oh, was it a beautiful sunny warm day. And boy did I get sunburnt...my face is certainly sore this morning and my big brothers would be quite proud of my red neck! LOL!

Afterwards we dropped the kids and the ex-wife off at Terry's house and then us 3 guys went for German food. Unfortunately due to lack of correct eating I came home not feeling to great and when I checked my blood suger it was the highest it has ever been! So I guess I need to do better when I go out and about...but it is difficult to find food that I can eat at these events...and the stuff I can't eat just tastes so darn good! LOL!

Anyway, decided to not top make the drive to meet my family at Triangle Lake today and will instead lounge about the house and enjoy the 4th right here on HHW!

MBarnum

« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2004, 10:32:57 AM »

BK, I so totally agree with your assesment of SHALL WE DANCE. What a lovely, funny, enjoyable film that is. I saw it upon it's original release when it played in Salem. I took a couple of friends who were a bit resistant to seeing a Japanese film in which they would have to read subtitles...but they ended up loving the movie!

So my topic of the day is do you prefer a movie to be subtitled or dubbed?

Do you avoid subtitled movies?

Do you have friends who turn up there noses at seeing a subtitled movie?

MBarnum

« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2004, 10:35:46 AM »

....and to answer my own topic, I don't mind subtitles at all. I have been watching so many subtitled Bollywood movies this last year that it doesn't even faze me.

Previously, when I wasn't quite as used to subtitles I would find that after about 5 minutes into the movie I didn't even really notice that the movie was subtitled.

After seeing some of the newer Godzilla movies subtitled I am finding that I much prefer even those films subtitled. I can watch a dubbed movie, that doesn't bother me, but it is really nicer to hear the original actors voices.

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2004, 10:37:39 AM »

JRand53, I have no clue what my first stereo album was that I purchased. I had some stereo albums of Disney movies when I was a small child, but I would guess that my parents or some other relative purchased them for me...I listened to my Bambi album constantly!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2004, 10:39:00 AM »

Speaking of reviewing the detritus of a wasted youth (translation: I’ve been looking over my collection of Mono show LPs), I have discovered some interesting items – none of which, I believe, have made it to CD:

“Girl Crazy” –the Gershwins – with Mary Martin (Liberson Studio Album)

OBC “Look, Ma, I’m Dancin'” (with Nancy Walker)  with
OBC “Arms and the Girl” – (Dorothy Fields/Morton Gould) starring Nanette Fabray and Pearl Bailey.

OBC “Simply Heavenly (1957) – Langston Hughes/David Martin) (show had a London revival in 2003).

OBC “Spoon River Anthology” – (with Betty Garrett and Joyce Van Patten)

Revival “The Cradle Will Rock” (1964) –Jerry Orbach, Lauri Peters, Miki Grant)

Studio Cast –“Nina, Pinta and the Santa Maria” –-Ray Gilbert (with Eddie Albert)

And a really strange item:

“3 Billion Millionaires” A studio release Musical Comedy (fund-raiser for the United Nations).(Peter Farrow/Robert Allen).
The album contains original numbers performed by:

Bing Crosby, Wally Cox, Carol Burnett, Terry Thomas, George Maharis, Sammy Davis, Jr.,Jack Benny, Judy Garland and Danny Kaye

But they're not in Stereo, so should I trash them?

Der Brucer

MBarnum

« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2004, 10:44:21 AM »

Oh, my, and how could I forget to welcome back Mr. DR TCB! Glad your computer woes are over!

And hope Jane and Keith are feeling better!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2004, 10:44:24 AM »

Arms and the Girl is on CD
A good one to listen to today, of all days
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2004, 11:06:38 AM »

...I listened to my Bambi album constantly!

I thought she was just a dancer?

der Brucer

PS While Googling for Bambi (Linn) I inadvertantly stumbled upon an aspiring actresssBambi Lyn who compains about screen writers lack of foresight thusly:

WITCH HUNT 4--THE EVIL RETURNS AGAIN

Sindy

Since the character of Simone was decapitated, disemboweled, and burned at the stake at the end of "Witch Hunt 3", the producers brought me back as Simone's good sister, Sindy, who is possessed by Simone's ghost. I felt that the close-up shots of my breasts in this movie only strengthed the director's message of spirituality, despite what the critics have said.

Panni

« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2004, 11:22:35 AM »

GOOD HEALTH VIBES TO JANE AND KEITH!

Panni

« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2004, 11:25:27 AM »

Just seeing if the giant photo put us into Cinerama...

DERBRUCER

« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2004, 11:28:43 AM »

Arms and the Girl is on CD
A good one to listen to today, of all days

The Cast Albun Databas shoiws no CD listing.

Amazon offers no CD.

A Dorothy Fields Fan Site mentions a limited release CD
of it coupled with "Up in Central Park" and comments:

This recording is available only from the Decca Broadway website, and only for a very limited period up till 31st December 2003.

Is this the one to which you refer?

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2004, 11:31:10 AM »

So my topic of the day is do you prefer a movie to be subtitled or dubbed?

Do you avoid subtitled movies?

Do you have friends who turn up there noses at seeing a subtitled movie?

Generally, for me it's gotta be...in glorious Technicolor, breathtaking CinemaScope…and stereophonic sound (and English Language spoken dialog)

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2004, 11:42:02 AM »

Unfortunately, he cut off the Wonderdog - but picture him on the other end of the leash.

Well, if he cut off the Wonderdog, I don't blame you for hooking him up to the other end of the leash!

der Brucer (observing the ambiguity of even definite pronouns)

Panni

« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2004, 11:52:49 AM »

And one for Uncle Sam!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up