Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FIREWORKS!  (Read 23665 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:FIREWORKS!
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2004, 11:56:26 AM »

Back from the neighborhood parade. The Wonderdog behaved wonderfully, in spite of the fact that there were many dogs, children on scooters and bikes and other rowdy distractions. I told him that if he didn't behave he'd have to go home. He listened. I found the parade a very emotional experience, believe it or not. It was like something out of a Capra film (except more Jews) - people of all sorts - the boy with Down Syndrome, the deaf family signing to each other as they marched, the kids, the dogs, the elderly, the very young...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2004, 12:01:42 PM »

No DB NEVER get rid of ANY LP's!  DRMATTH I have the London MY FAIR LADY stereo album as well....I love to listen to the OBC and then the London!

DROANNI the summer celebration in a small town was the highlight of the season.  Here is my small town we have what is called the Old Settlers Picnic, which is a small carnival with tiny rides and fireworks, etc.  It is usually in August, but it always includes fireworks.  And the small town of Cloverdale where my cousins live....have always had fireworks on the 4th of July sponsored by the Fire Dept.  They have fundraisers all year to buy the stuff!

Chat tonight is fine.  Tomorrow night rehearsal - so tonight would be best for me.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2004, 12:04:55 PM »

I CAN'T WAIT FOR OPENNG DAY!

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2004, 12:05:53 PM »

Subtitles, always.  Although La Strada is worth a watch dubbed because Quinn and Basehart's voices are dubbed in the Italian and are their own in the dubbed version.  Those instances are few and far between, though.

I'll decide on chat a bit later.  Let's get some fireworks going, shall we?  And has anyone heated up the barbecue yet?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2004, 12:08:00 PM »

Panni

« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2004, 12:16:56 PM »

For anyone who saw a picture earlier or who doesn't know what the references to "the picture" mean. I posted a photo with my parade post (which was actually posted earlier) - but on second look decided that I hated it, so I removed the pic and just left the post. The End.

Panni

« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2004, 12:23:25 PM »

I prefer subtitles. Even with movies in English. (Joke.)

I once saw West Side Story in Switzerland (can't remember why) with subtitles in German and French. The German had little to do with the French, nor the French with the German; and neither had much to do with the English. Very interesting.
My only problem with subtitles is that if you're relying solely on the STs to give you the nuances in the language of the film, you may be missing out. Anytime I see a Hungarian film with English subtitles, I'm always amazed by how often a great deal is missed because of pedantic choices in translation.

Emily

« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2004, 12:26:39 PM »

Der Brucer, the new buildings will look nice won't they?

Although is it just me, or does the tallest building look like a old weapon with a bayonet springing out of the top?

Meh - it's probably just me :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2004, 12:37:37 PM »

BK, I so totally agree with your assesment of SHALL WE DANCE. What a lovely, funny, enjoyable film that is. I saw it upon it's original release when it played in Salem. I took a couple of friends who were a bit resistant to seeing a Japanese film in which they would have to read subtitles...but they ended up loving the movie!

So my topic of the day is do you prefer a movie to be subtitled or dubbed?

Do you avoid subtitled movies?

Do you have friends who turn up there noses at seeing a subtitled movie?

I prefer subtitled...every time.  Even though it can be a hassle to read the subtitles AND watch the movie, I much prefer to hear the original actors' voices/inflections.  I even bought the Japanese anime "Star Blazers" on DVD with the original Japapnese language track (and American subtitles).  I already have the first season on video with the American language track.  There are also edits in this particular series.  There was one scene where a female nurse was walking down the hall of a hospital and the robot doctor lifted her skirt and looked at her panties! :o  This was cut from the American version.

As to my first stereo album, I'm not "of a certain age." ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2004, 12:45:07 PM »

Seeing DR Panni refer to the summer holiday reminded me of MGM's SUMMER HOLIDAY that I have on laserdisc (O'Neill's AH WILDERNESS for those who've never seen it, not be be comfused with the Broadway musical version TAKE ME ALONG). That wouldn't be a bad one to watch either, but I find I have no time for anything else today. The host of the cookout asked me to come 30 minutes early to help him with a few things, so I'll have to save YANKEE DOODLE DANDY for either tonight or tomorrow (since it's a federal holiday).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2004, 12:47:30 PM »

Twilight Zone marathon on SciFi - Flip continues on TVLAND.

DRJANE the LOVE, MYSTERY, WESTERN, and ACTION channels do not have commercials.

George

« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2004, 12:47:42 PM »

Well, I must now take a shower and walk over to my sister's house.  I have to help her get ready for the big crowd of folks who will be celebrating the 4th of July at her house:  my sister, my niece (my sister's daughter), me, my parents, my niece's aunt (my niece's dad's sister) and her husband, my sister's ex-parents-in-law, my dad's sister who is visiting from California, and at least three of my mom's former co-workers (my mom just retired on Wednesday!) who have become friends to my sister and I...a lot of people!

I'll try and check in when I'm allowed. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2004, 12:48:04 PM »

Interesting little feaurette on DRIVING MISS DAISY on the making of the film and how difficult it was to secure financing for the project. EVeryone was middle-aged or older, based on an award winning play, so naturally studio chiefs and bankers thought it wouldn't make a dime. They had made the same mistake with ON GOLDEN POND and would make it with CHICAGO, too.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 12:48:51 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2004, 12:48:51 PM »

DRPANNI I will crop the photo for you and post it if you email it to me....it was a GREAT pic!

Michael

« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2004, 12:53:10 PM »

Well it stopped raining but did not cool off. My friend who is doing the majority of the work doesn't seem to be effected by the heat.
Never stop dreaming.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #75 on: July 04, 2004, 01:02:45 PM »

Der Brucer, the new buildings will look nice won't they?

Although is it just me, or does the tallest building look like a old weapon with a bayonet springing out of the top?

Meh - it's probably just me :)

It's not just you.

I hate to judge a piece of architecture before it's finished, but the whole idea of putting the world's tallest office building on that site is ludicrous in the extreme.  The even-uglier World Trade Center was never filled.  Fewer and fewer companies want to be in tall office buildings any more, and lower Manhattan is ridiculously congested.  A foolish macho impulse to answer Osama with "You can knock 'em down but we can build 'em even taller" should have been outweighed by aesthetic concerns, and the feelings of the families of the murdered.  But no, we get another glass tower (and not just one.)

I _have_ commented on the new Time Warner Center (on Columbus Circle, a much more prominent location) that it looks like two steak knives pointing to the sky.  Misconceived on almost every level, it's a glass blight we Manhattanites are having a tough time getting used to.  I don't see why more New York architects can't take a good look at great New York buildings to see what makes them great as some of the creators of the nearby Battery Park City residential buildings clearly have.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2004, 01:18:08 PM »

Watching CHARADE which is on the DVD with its "remake" THE TRUTH ABOUT CHARLIE.  Great titles by Maurice Binder and fine music by Henry Mancini.

Oh..MB.....I hope you survive your sunburn....and subtitles of course!  The DVD HERCULES IN THE HAUNTED WORLD shows exactly what happens to the story and the acting when you use English dubbing and editing....it's a different movie....and the original script and story are much more fun and interesting.

Panni

« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2004, 01:58:32 PM »

DRPANNI I will crop the photo for you and post it if you email it to me....it was a GREAT pic!

Thanks, JRand. The part of the pic that I thought horrible was ME. But maybe if you crop off the bottom it won't be quite as bad. I like all the action at the sides - the dogs and the people. I'll email it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2004, 02:03:31 PM »

Okay!  Will do.

Whew....Audrey Hepburn does some really clumsy acting in CHARADE....her inflections and reactions are weird....not sure if it's the editing or the dubbing....but it ain't right.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2004, 02:06:56 PM »

Well...so far our 4th of July weekend has been lovely.  Friday night, we sat on the back balcony watching A Maxfield Parrish sunset descend  over the Hollywood sign, while imbibing champagne and listening to Glenn Yarborough sing Rod McKuen songs.  Then, after a lovely dinner, watched  the last hour of THE RED SHOES, followed by THE GLASS SLIPPER, then a very weird Italian film called THE IRON CROWN...all on TCM.

Yesterday, after sleeping late, while The Lovely Wife was doing a few personal errands, I went over to BK's and my favourite bookstop, Mystery & Imagination, in Glendale where they were having a twenty % off sale, plus, if you brought their flyer, they paid the sales tax (8.5% in CA).  There I bought a signed 1st edition of Bob Crais latest Elvis Cole mystery.  I know Bob slightly through Harlan Ellison and the WGA, Heck of nice guy.  I also bought a limited edition of supernatural stories By H. B. Marriott Watson, a relatively obscure Australian/New Zealandwriter from the late 19th/early 20th century...but who hobnobbed with the likes of H.G. Wells and other British literati of the day and, from the book's introduction, led a rather interesting life.  I know him for a series of very fine short stories he wrote about a Highwayman.  I have read and own the first volume he wrote, but the two subsequent volumes...written in the early part of the century...are very obscure and tough to find, even given my considerable sources of the book trade.  Perhaps the most interesting find though was a book I had been doing a search on the internet for just the previous night.  Watching my Jim Bowie TV tapes, I noticed the series was based on a novel entitled TEMPERED BLADE.  Oddly enough, I was checking out the paperback historical section in my bookstore and there it was for six bucks.

Late afternoon, as we both arrived home within minutes of each other, our very fun neighbours, Ray and Janie, across the street invited us over for a glass of wine.  A glass turned into several out on their cool back patio and they even invited us to cook our dinner that we had planned to grill out on their gas grill.  

We took our dinner home (steak for me; fish for Julieanne) and watched the restored 1776.  What a delight!  The sound particularly was so much better and the whole film was far less choppier than I remember.  It also happens to be one of my favourite musicals.

This was supposed to be our 4th activity and meal, but we changed plans and did it a night early, as tonight we planned to go up to Barnsdall Park, very near our home and watch free Shakespeare.  We'll pack a picnic dinner of Curry Pasta Salad.  Even though it's free, we had to make reservations, because apparently the seating in the natural amphitheatre is limited.  The play is TWO GENTLEMEN OF VERONA...which I've never seen done, except for the musical version produced by Joe Papp back when I was in college.  So it should be fun. Barnsdall Park is also one of my favourite little parks, but I've not been there in a long time because there was so much construction going on around a few years ago when they were building the subway.  It has a very nice Frank Lloyd Wright House up there and great views of the city.

Before we go to the play, we'll soak in the Jacuzzi this afternoon with a little more champagne.

So...so far, pretty good Fourth.

Jay, the Athol Fugard play sounds fascinating.  I think I must check it out.  Thanks for the review.  You're a great cultural barometer for what's going on out here.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2004, 02:14:02 PM »

Voila!  Here is the Wonderdog walking PANNI at the 4th of July Celebration....lots of things going on...and the Wonderdog is at the end of the leash rushing toward the camera....   ;D

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2004, 02:18:14 PM »

Jay, the Athol Fugard play sounds fascinating.  I think I must check it out.  Thanks for the review.  You're a great cultural barometer for what's going on out here.

When I was a little boy I always said I wanted to grow up and become a barometer.   ;D

'Tis my pleasure, Dear Reader Charles Pogue.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2004, 02:21:47 PM »

DRCP what a perfect setting for TWO GENTLEMEN OF VERONA....next to the Ennis-Brown House (the house on haunted hill, no less), the Aline Barnsdall-Hollyhock house is one of my favorite.

I like to travel over to Oak Park, Illinois, and walk around the neighborhood seeing all the FLW houses and visit his home and workshop there.   ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2004, 02:22:44 PM »

Do any of the other DR's have a favorite FLW house?

Tomovoz

« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2004, 02:25:54 PM »

MBarnum"  Subtitles for sure. Exception: "Spirited Away" etc.
Best of health vibes to Keith and Jane.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 02:30:23 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jay

« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2004, 02:25:55 PM »

Just back from seeing Broadway:  The Golden Age.  I came of age at the very tail end of the era, and consider myself lucky to have seen some of the artists featured in this film on stage.  The film made me wistful, too, over having missed so many of the players and performances that are discussed and/or shown in brief clips in the film.  

I highly recommend this film to anyone with even the slightest interest in theatre and Broadway.

George

« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2004, 02:28:42 PM »

I'm at my sister's house and pretty much every thing is set up.  So far, only my sister's boyfriend and my niece's aunt and uncle have arrived.  Neither of my niece's two sets of grandparents have shown up...yet.  They will.  The grazing has begun, though. :)

Jay

« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2004, 02:29:11 PM »

Do any of the other DR's have a favorite FLW house?

I've seen quite a few of them, but await the day to see, in person, his great masterpiece:  Falling Water.

Michael

« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2004, 02:30:32 PM »

Just back from seeing Broadway:  The Golden Age.  I came of age at the very tail end of the era, and consider myself lucky to have seen some of the artists featured in this film on stage.  The film made me wistful, too, over having missed so many of the players and performances that are discussed and/or shown in brief clips in the film.  

I highly recommend this film to anyone with even the slightest interest in theatre and Broadway.

Is it in General or limited release?
Never stop dreaming.

George

« Reply #89 on: July 04, 2004, 02:32:53 PM »

Several co-workers went to some conference in New York a few weeks ago.  One of them, Kim, brought back a poster for the Broadway documentary, thinking that it was kind of nice, but she didn't really want it.  She asked another co-worker, Jean,  if she wanted it, and Jean suggested that Kim save it for me!  She did and I now have it!  It's a great poster.  Since I'm going to display it at work, I was able to get it laminated at work (and I didn't have to take it some place like Kinko's and pay)!  I don't know how long it will stay at work, but that's another matter. ::)

Now back to the pre-barbecue grazing!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 02:33:52 PM by George »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up