Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BKs ARE GO  (Read 19037 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
BKs ARE GO
« on: July 28, 2004, 12:00:16 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know the notes are go, so now it is time to asketh your questions so that we can answereth your questions.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 12:01:24 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:BKs ARE GO
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 12:11:25 AM »

A better red carpet photo:

Panni

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 12:12:26 AM »

Good-night.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 12:39:55 AM »

Is it just me, or are the photographers lining the red carpet (behind the velvet ropes) all dressed like tourists?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 02:09:15 AM »

I was gonna say....those photographers are a well dressed bunch are they not?

Thanks for the pics, DRPANNI, and congratulations on the adulation!

I can always think of a question when it is NOT as BK day....hmmmmmmI will go to sleep and think some more.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ben

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 04:21:31 AM »

Listenin to Donald's radio show at this moment. I was finally was able to get to it. I usually do it on Monday. I LOVE the Butler Song from So Long 174th Street. What a treat to hear it again.

Michael

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2004, 04:41:14 AM »

To answer your question about Thunderbirds voices.

They were always "American". It is explained in the commentary that they found Canadians and Americans living in England at the time to do the voices. They even had Australians from what I understood in the commentary were better doing accents. They were actually going for a "Mid Atlantic" sound than "American"

Perhaps you are mixing up one of their other many series they did with marionettes like Supercar, Fireball, Captain Scarlett, Stingray et al. I have not seen all their shows and other than Thunderbirds movies and series have not since some of them since I was a young lad living in Canada.

Trivia: The Tracy family were named after the astronauts in the American space program
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2004, 04:42:11 AM »

And it is Thunderbird 6 (not 9)
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2004, 04:44:50 AM »

Just read this interesting bit of info about the TV Series

According to ITC, the early 1990s Fox Network rebroadcasts had to have new vocal and music tracks recorded due to Michael Jackson owning the rights to ITCs music libraries, new music and voices were used for some episodes, which upset a lot of long-time fans of the show. Edits were also made to remove scenes of characters smoking and drinking, and to shorten the individual episodes to 30 minutes from 60 due to the short attention span of American kids! In 1994, a completely altered version of the series was syndicated under the title "Turbocharged Thunderbirds." Live-action footage of two teenagers in Thunderbird 5 (renamed Hacker Command) was shot, while events from the 1964 series were said to be taking place on "Thunder-World." It was cancelled in 1995.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2004, 04:48:22 AM »

Ask BK questions later.
Never stop dreaming.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2004, 05:31:12 AM »

Caroline, or Shange -- a little boy must choose between his beloved maid and the author of For Colored Girls Who Considered Suicide.

made me laugh, Dan.  Produced by The New York Shakespeare Festival, of course.

My ask BK query: What makes you think Tracey Ullman isn't 44?  (She plays old people so convincingly!?)

For relaxation, I like an extremely hot bath.  Of course, there was no hot water in my building when I got home last night.  Nor this morning.  A walk in Riverside Park can do the trick, too.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2004, 06:49:25 AM »

I baked a batch of blueberry muffins this morning - my tribute to the first of the local wild blueberries.

So ... the question for the day:

What's your favorite muffin?

Jennifer

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2004, 06:49:39 AM »

Hey Amazing Racers, anyone enjoy last night's show?

Um, why didn't some of those men offer to eat the caviar???

Jennifer

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2004, 06:53:43 AM »

Favorite muffins, hmmm not sure.  The only kinds I usually make are banana-chocolate chip or blueberry.  I love both of those.

Panni

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2004, 07:09:54 AM »

Muffin: I used to like all sorts of exotic muffins, but recently I've gone back to good old raisin bran. I also like corn muffins. Actually, I'm a big fan of muffins of all types.

Re the photogs: No, they're not exactly the best-dressed people on the planet.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2004, 07:10:35 AM »

Muffins -- banana nut; blueberry; cranberry

Jelly: Grape

Jam: Strawberry

Preserves: Peach
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2004, 07:13:26 AM »

News of Tom's neighbors:

Discovery News reports, in part:

Kangaroos Not Laid Back After All
By Judy Skatssoon, ABC Science Online

July 27, 2004 — Kangaroos have an aerobic capacity comparable to highly athletic mammals like horses and antelopes, new research shows, which may dent their reputation as laid-back fixtures on the Australian landscape.
Marsupials, including kangaroos, have traditionally been believed to be primitive mammals because their basal metabolism, or resting energy rate, is about a third lower than that of placental mammals.
But Terry Dawson from the University of New South Wales in Sydney says analysis of the muscle physiology of kangaroos shows they stack up against their more energetic placental cousins.

Marsupials, and in particular kangaroos, may even be more efficient than placental mammals because of their ability to "rev up" very quickly.
"Instead of being primitive they've got the benefits of not using much energy when they're resting, but they have the capacity to really rev themselves up," he said. "We've probably shown that instead of being primitive they probably have advantages in terms of energy uses." [/size]

der Brucer (invisisoning ROO DNA shots for NBA players)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

MBarnum

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2004, 07:19:14 AM »

DR Jennifer, I watched Big Brother, but I always have to tape Amazing Race because it comes on so late.

BK, there are several DVDs of the Thunderbirds TV series available. I highly recommend them! TECH TV was showing the series as well, don't know if they still are or not.

I have the DVD sets of Stingray and Fireball XL5 and all the characters have American accents...more of less, although the gal in Fireball XL5 seems to speak in a French accent.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2004, 07:19:29 AM »

Good news for Guy Haines fans - his early recordings may be salvagable!

Discovery News reports, in part:

High Tech Lets Old Recordings Speak Again
By Jennifer Viegas, Discovery News

July 23, 2004 — A high-tech system originally developed to track down elusive subatomic particles is now being used to digitize old records and cylinders previously thought to be unplayable, according to the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Early music and spoken word recordings at the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C., will benefit from the technology. It also may one day allow us to hear Abraham Lincoln and Mark Twain speak since, according to written accounts, both notables made recordings during their lifetimes.

The new system, created by Berkeley Lab scientists Vitaliy Fadeyev and Carl Haber, originally was used to determine particle path collisions in research on the Higgs boson, a theoretical particle believed to give objects mass. Now the technology plays and preserves records and tin and wax cylinders without even touching their grooves.

Fadeyev and Haber first tested it out on two LPs: "Goodnight Irene" by The Weavers and "Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen" by Marian Anderson. The albums, full of pops, skips, and scratches, played like new.

Sam Brylawski, head of the recorded sound section of the Library of Congress' Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division, told Discovery News that some cylinders in the collection are not presently playable due to excessive mold or breakage.

"We do not know what is on (these) unplayable ones, but we expect it to be popular music of the late 19th and early 20th centuries," Brylawski said.
Already the Berkeley team has brought one mystery cylinder from 1912 back to life. It contains a recording of a song called "Just Before the Battle, Mother," crooned by what sounds to be a barbershop quartet.

"There are many promising aspects of the research being conducted at the Lawrence Berkeley Labs," Brylawski said. "One is the development of non-contact playback of fragile sound recordings. Not only cylinders, but radio transcription discs and 78-rpm shellac pressings."

He added, "If their work pans out to enable efficient and accurate transfers, we will be able to hear broken recordings; be able to restore deteriorating recordings without the addition of digital audio 'artifacts;' and play back obsolete formats without having to acquire or restore specialized machines and identify highly trained, i.e. costly, specialized engineers."

The new technology might also one day allow the voices of Abraham Lincoln and Mark Twain to be heard again.

Fadeyev explained that Lincoln (1809-1865) is believed to have made a recording on a phonoautograph, a device invented before Edison's experiments in sound. The recording, which has not yet been found and may be in private hands, probably could be reproduced using the optical method, according to Fadeyev.

Brylawski further indicated that Mark Twain (1835-1910) recorded a cylinder for the Bettini Company. It too remains lost, but once found, it now has a chance at being played with the same, or perhaps better, quality produced when it was new.

Wow - Lincoln, Twain, and Haines - preserved for posterity!

der Brucer (the site has some nice before and after audio tracks)

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2004, 07:42:05 AM »

Favorite Muffin? Corn, with Banana Nut and Blueberry close seconds.  And the muffin must have a sizable top to pull off and eat first.

Right now I'm listening to the latest kd lang CD, Hymns of the 49th Parallel.  It's absolutely beautiful!  What a voice she has!

Ask BK day:  BK (and everyone)  Do you like any current rock or pop music?  

Myself, I'm a huge Dave Matthews Band fan--I love everything they do.  All I have to hear is a few snippets of their music and I'm dancin' and groovin'.  If it weren't for the fact that I have a job I could possibly be one of those people who follow him around the country, concert to concert, wearing hemp clothing.  Only problem with that is that hemp  shrinks and I'd have trouble finding enough of it in my size.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2004, 07:50:02 AM »

Noel: I think Miss Ullman is a bit closer to fifty.  I don't know this for a fact, but she's been doing what she's doing for a long time.

I don't like much of today's pop or rock music.  It all seems so overproduced and everything sounds the same to me, and I'm so tired of singers who do nothing but riff on the melody.  As to rap - can't stomach any of it unless you consider Shaft rap.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2004, 07:53:46 AM »

I have been known on more than one occasion to eat cereal directly out of the box, and raisin bran has always been one of my favorites to do that with. Yes, I know it's weird, but I'm not a great fan of milk, but I do like cereal.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2004, 07:55:36 AM »

Mulling over which DVD will pop up in the player today. So far no decisions. More later.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2004, 08:24:37 AM »

DR Panni,

Did you ever have a Mars muffin? Mars is a greasy spoon in a less-than-desirable part of town. But its bran muffins are celebrated. Mars has never revealed its secret ingredient. Some speculate it's chocolate; others think it may be prune juice.

That probably is my favorite muffin - a Mars bran muffin. But I do like blueberry muffins, and have a good recipe that uses honey instead of sugar. I occasionally make nutmeg muffins. They're good but something of a novelty, so you wouldn't want them too often. I've read that nutmeg contains a hallucinogen. That may account for their popularity.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2004, 08:34:10 AM »

I do not like muffins, although I occasionally will eat the top of a chocolate chip muffin if it suits my fancy.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2004, 08:34:43 AM »

DRs Jane and Keith:  (Since I think I recall it was a joint recommendation)  Thanks for the heads up about last night's repeat of the 2-hour "Stargate: Atlantis" first episode on Sci-Fi.  I thought they did a great job on this show...but I'm not fond of the introducion of the Wraiths as a new species to worry about.  Still, I'm certain the new crew, with their new friends, will make amazing escapes fron the jaws of doom just as their SG-1 counterparts have done for seven years.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 08:35:55 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2004, 08:35:11 AM »

Favorite muffin:  In general, corn, occasionally a raisin-bran, very rarely a blueberry.  I make a mean carrot/nut/coconut oatmeal muffin with a streusel topping.  Yum!

Ask BK (and other DRs) Day Question:

Lately, I have noticed that I will glance up at a (digital) clock, and I will notice that the numbers of the hours and minutes will correlate with the numbers of the month and day of my birth.

For instance, if one's birthday was, let's say...March 19th (which it isn't), one would wake up in the middle of the night (as one might occasionally do) and see that the bedside clock was reading 3:19 AM, or be on the task bar of your computer and notice that the online clock is reading 3:19 PM.  And it just seems to be happenstance....

Does this happen to anyone else out there?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2004, 08:38:21 AM »

Mulling over which DVD will pop up in the player today. So far no decisions. More later.

For pity's sakes!  Stop procrastinating and watch the expanded "LOTR: The Two Towers"!

;D

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2004, 08:39:24 AM »

Lately, I have noticed that I will glance up at a (digital) clock, and I will notice that the numbers of the hours and minutes will correlate with the numbers of the month and day of my birth.

For instance, if one's birthday was, let's say...March 19th (which it isn't), one would wake up in the middle of the night (as one might occasionally do) and see that the bedside clock was reading 3:19 AM, or be on the task bar of your computer and notice that the online clock is reading 3:19 PM.  And it just seems to be happenstance....

I find that this happens a lot to me except the time is 9:11.  It spooks me out.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2004, 08:46:17 AM »

Funny, but my mom used to mention this. She also got a kick out of seeing 12:34 (1,2,3,4) on the digital clock, and also 11:11. When I look at a clock and see these times - and it seems to happen more often than it really should - it makes me smile.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 08:46:52 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up