Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE  (Read 16633 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2004, 08:58:43 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]*** PAGE TWO DANCE ***[/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2004, 09:00:49 AM »

DR Elmore:  Thoughts and prayers and vibes sent your way. I hope you feel better soon.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2004, 09:01:09 AM »

It dawns on me that the audience could be filled with Los Angeles-based HHW lurkers.  They'll know us, but we won't know them!

Signed,
Your local gadabout
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2004, 09:05:09 AM »

Why is it, I wonder   ;D  that I keep expecting to see the credit

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Music by Paul Smith[/move]

appear on these pages?????
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2004, 09:05:53 AM »

I won't dance!

Don't ask me......
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2004, 09:09:44 AM »

Lovely pictures DearReaderLaura, particularly the dragonflys. I have always thought those were the most interesting insects to watch when I was a kid...well, and still I find them interesting, but I don't see as many of them here in Salem as I did when I lived in Medford.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2004, 09:13:21 AM »

DR Elmore, vibes and prayers and chants and wishes for hunky (but accomplished) health practitioners are coming your way!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>[/move]

Green is a great healing color, BTW(internet lingo!)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2004, 09:13:42 AM »

Had a nice date with George (from South Beach) last night. He brought up his new dog Scruffy, a Lhapso Apso (did I spell that right?) that he picked up at the Humane Society a few weeks ago. What a wonderful, well behaved dog little Scruffy is! I just fell in love with him. He and Freddy became fast buddies...oh sure, there was a little bit of hissing and barking, but they were actually both quite curious about each other...I am sure if they had a little more time together they would be romping and playing like lifelong pals!

Many continued health vibes to Elmore3003!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;)  ;)  ;)   ;)  ;)  ;)  :-*  ;)  ;)  ;)   ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  [/move]

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2004, 09:15:58 AM »

I won't dance!

Don't ask me......

But you must!  You must!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2004, 09:20:42 AM »

My question for ASKBK day....what is the first movie set you were on?   What were your impressions and how did it come about?

That's an interesting question.  The first movie set I can really remember being on (I'd been on a few TV stages in my childhood) was when I tested for a pilot that Danny Arnold was doing - my first test or experience before a movie camera.  Maybe I was on one before that but I have no memory of it if I was.  I remember that I loved the soundstage, loved the hubbub and was literally shaking with fright.  But when they put me in our little set in the corner and the lights came on, I was home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2004, 09:23:08 AM »

I was glad to see some Mary Guettel Rodgers songs on the What If song list.  "Don't Laugh" (for some reason, BK thinks it's called "Show Me") has long been a favorite and I'd suggested to Jenny that she do it in last night's show.  I'm not the only one who'd made this suggestion.

BK thinks it's called Show Me because that's how it was rechristened when used in Hey Love, the Mary Rodgers revue that I recorded.  That's how it's listed in the program and on the sheet music they sent.  We LOVE Mary Rodgers.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2004, 09:24:53 AM »

For Ask BK Day... who was the artist who did the covers for the "Lost in Boston" and "Unsung Musicals" series?  I was (finally) cataloging my CDs yesterday and noticed how much I had always liked the cover art.  What else has this artist done?

The artist is Leon Joosen, a really nice guy.  At the time he'd worked quite a lot at Disney - worked on The Little Mermaid and other stuff back then.  I know he was one of the character artists on Ariel, because I have several drawings of her he did whilst sitting in my office.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2004, 09:28:31 AM »

A question for Ask BK Day:  What is a papering house?  How do they work?  (I know what papering is, I just didn't know that there were companies that specialize in it.)

A related second question:  how come I never get comp tickets for anything I want to see?

There are several papering services both here and in NY that producers use to fill seats during previews (and perhaps even during the run, if they need to).  Most papering services here have a deal wherein the patrons make a "donation" of three bucks, so at least some money comes in to the production.  I want/wanted full houses for the previews so I opened it up to the papering service here, On the House.  

As to comps - we've tried to not give many out because this show has not been so cheap to mount and it would be nice if the producer got some money back.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2004, 09:30:24 AM »

On opening night the following dear readers will be in attendance: The Pogues, Jay, and Panni and daughter.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2004, 09:34:43 AM »

As to comps - we've tried to not give many out because this show has not been so cheap to mount and it would be nice if the producer got some money back.

To be clear:  I wasn't schnorring for comps to What If?--The Musical Revue!

I was referring to the many shows, concerts and screenings I've been to where I've paid to be there and learned that I was surrounded by people who were "invited."
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2004, 09:49:30 AM »

What?  You mean there was no young woman who was about to give birth?  No cranky neighbor lady with whom you've been having a long running feud but who inadvertantly revealed that she is really a poor, lonely old woman?  No father-in-law who never liked you, but who brought out a flask of whiskey from which you both drank and got drunk, which allowed for a sentimental, though momentary, relationship to form?  Who's writing these episodes for you?  

DTM, I omitted some details.

My sister was with me - nobody else. She had come in from New York for the unveiling of my mom's tombstone, and we had just returned from the cemetery. My sister is ultra-ultra-ultra (that's three ultras) Orthodox, and I'm near the other end of the spectrum. My sister has a heart of gold, but she never misses an opportunity to preach. I was on my best behavior, but when the lights went out, the elevator stopped, and the sermon started, I simply said: "Look, my nerves require total quiet in a situation like this." It worked.

So, does the scriptwriter get the job?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2004, 10:47:34 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2004, 09:50:44 AM »

I know you weren't, Jay.  Frankly, on opening night you will, of course, be surrounded by people who were invited.  In fact, our publicist is furious that we sold ANY tix, but I told him that that was tough beanies, that certain HHW folks wanted to be there and that was that.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2004, 09:56:03 AM »

I was glad to see some Mary Guettel Rodgers songs on the What If song list.  "Don't Laugh" (for some reason, BK thinks it's called "Show Me")...

Maybe the reason BK "thinks" it is called "Show Me" is because that is, in fact, the title of the only recorded version of the song. "Don't Laugh" was the opening and closing number of "Hot Spot". When Richard Maltby Jr, Mark Waldrop,  and friends did a revue of Mary Rodgers' songs the number was retitled as 'Show Me" (with Maltby given "additional lyrics" credit). The revue was first titled "3 of Hearts" and was produced at  "Eighty-Eight's" in 1993.  In the fall of 1996 it was remounted as "Hey Love" for the "Rainbow & Stars ", and it was this incarnation recorded by our BK.

Neither the Muscial Cast Album Database nor Amazon suggest that any cast recording was made of 'Hot Spots'. An alleged OC CD showed up on Ebay, but I wonder about its authenticity.

So, it seems BK "thinks the song as recorded ...and presumably sung at your Cabaret" is called "Show Me", is because it is!

der site fact-checker  Brucer
« Last Edit: August 11, 2004, 10:08:22 AM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2004, 09:59:30 AM »

The Broadway Lost Treasures are being produced by Alex and Hildy Cohen's son and he has permission to use clips from after his father stopped producing and his mother stopped writing the shows.  I don't know how much past their participation he is allowed to use, but at least five or six years after they left.

If you are in NYC (and probably LA), The Museum of Television and Radio has two clip shows they put together of this material.  There is no duplication from the first show/DVD and very little from the second, plus these clip shows include material that the rights were not available for PBS or the DVDs including A CHOURS LINE and DREAMGIRLS.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2004, 10:02:13 AM »

DR Brucer,

Here's the scoop on the Hot Spot recording. DR WEL posted the following awhile back:

"I finally listened to the new CD of Judy Holliday in HOT SPOT and I have to say it is the worst quality "private recording" I have ever heard.  Unlike most of them which were made through the theatre's sound system, this was made with a portable cassette recorder from someone in the audience.  All the lyrics are mumbled and it sounds like the orchestra is in an echo chamber.  It's impossible to judge the score itself.  A few of the songs were recorded by BK on "Hey Love", a Mary Rodgers revue, and they all sound much better there.  The best song in the score (the Sondheim one "Don't Laugh") hadn't been added to the score when the tape was made but is included in a commercial recording by Phyllis Newman.  I'd love to hear Judy Holliday do it, but will never get the chance.  There is one song I know I have heard (it's not in "Hey Love") called "I Think The World of You" but I don't know where I heard it.  The CD ends with a demo by Rodgers and Charnin.  It includes mostly cut songs and none of them are any good.  However there is one couplet I find worth repeating:
  Communisim is a headache
  Democracy is the Bufferin"
« Last Edit: August 11, 2004, 12:28:59 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2004, 10:04:03 AM »

Warner Bros.  Records had the rights to record HOT SPOT but they passed on it.  A CD of a live preview is available (I have it) and of all the live show bootlegs I have in my collection or have heard this has the worst sound quality.  It wasn't even recorded through the theatre sound system like most recordings of this kind, but sounds like it was a portable cassette recorder on someone in the audience's lap.  Still, the material is interesting.  It's sold through All Music in San Francisco and on their web site.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2004, 10:06:25 AM »

Dan -
Thanks for posting my original revue of the HOT SPOT CD... typo and all.  

So far this is a show that even Mufti or Musicals Tonight haven't tried to do.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2004, 10:07:27 AM »

I told DR MBarnum there was one comfort:  if I were a horse, I'd now be a can of dogfood.

No...I'm sure you would be a choice filet in a Japanese restaurant.

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jennifer

« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2004, 10:32:23 AM »

Oh poor DR Elmore, my heart was breaking reading about your ordeal.  More good healing vibes to you ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~!

MBarnum

« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2004, 10:40:17 AM »

JRand53, I hope you get your computer soon at work...I am missing your posts throughout the day!

Jose, you've got e-mail.

I am way bored at work today. It is only a little after 10:30 but it feels like I have been here all day long already! If I had my druthers I would be at home on the couch watching dvds!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2004, 10:42:34 AM »

DR Jenny,

Congrats on bringing down the house! DR Noel - and I'm sure he'll agree - is not generally given to superlatives. So that extraordinarily high praise is higher still. Wow!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2004, 10:46:15 AM »

Less than four hundred postings to go until we achieve our new landmark.

Jennifer

« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2004, 10:58:50 AM »

DR DIT, being stuck in an elevator is my worst nightmare.  I am quite claustrophobic and would probably freak out. :)

William E. Lurie

« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2004, 11:09:00 AM »

BK - Thanks for the info on Leon Joosen.  I had not heard of him previously but I really like the covers he did for you.  Based on his style, I would have imagined that he had worked for comic books or perhaps Mad Magazine.  

Another question: Today Ken Mandelbaum mentions a Harry Warren musical that played Los Angeles in 1997 with a book by Joel Kimmel.  It featured one of your recording regulars Tami Tappan.  Is Joel any relation or perhaps did Ken get the first name wrong and this was one of your projects?

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2004, 11:16:30 AM »

I suppose we could argue this until the cows come home, but, I have here, the original sheet music to the wonderful song that begins with the words "Show Me" and which has found its way into three revues: The Madwoman of Central Park West, Hey Love, and, now, What If.  At the top of the first page, it says Don't Laugh.  As much of the music is interspersed with dialogue and scene change notes, one can only assume that the score I have is from Hot Spot, where the song was originally done.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up