Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE UNSEEMLY HUM  (Read 12931 times)

Ben

Re:THE UNSEEMLY HUM
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2004, 07:59:52 AM »

Page 2 non-dance.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2004, 08:21:04 AM »

Page 2 non-dance.

Hello? Where's today's State Fair pic?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2004, 08:24:35 AM »

Yeah!  Wasn't there any dancing at the fair?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2004, 08:33:46 AM »

When I return from lunch I will post another picture. Got too involved at work (damn them, the jobs, that is). Glad you look forward to my pictoral overview of the vacation. It will make Anthony happy that his picture taking is appreciated.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2004, 08:41:49 AM »

I would actually like to ask bk a question and hopefully it isn't too odd. I have Bedknobs and Broomsticks on DVD (30th Anniversary Edition) and was watching the extras. I was suprised to learn about the 25 minutes being cut and a few songs being added to the DVD. I was just wondering what you feelings on the DVD were compared to the original release in theatres. I suppose this can be open to everyone if it interests them.

Unfortunately, I can't answer the question since I didn't see the film on its original release.  I thought the DVD was fine - not one of my favorite movies, but some fun stuff.  I just don't remember if the twenty-five minutes was cut before the release or after its initial engagements.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2004, 08:41:49 AM »

Safe vibes to your brother, Jeff, and to your nephew, MBarnum.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2004, 08:44:29 AM »

Good Evening!  Good Morning!

Hmmm.. I actually have a question for Ask BK Day today... But I guess it could be a question for every DR here on HHW... And I actually, I will probably be asking this question of myself for a while...

Why did I go see The Ten Commandments - A New Musical tonight?!?!?!?

???
 :-[
 :-X
 :o
 :'(
 :-\

-How's that for a teaser! ;)

A marvelous review - and now it becomes a must-see for me.  The only way people learn not to do junk like this is for the show to fail majorly.  They obviously have the deepest pockets imaginable (the producers are clothing designers - did they think they would start a biblical trend), and they have Val Kilmer, but there comes a point at which you cannot fool all the people all the time.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2004, 08:45:43 AM »

Ask BK: Is there any sort of timetable on your new mystery novel?  Like when it will be published?  In book stores?

We're discussing whether it should be end of this year or beginning of next.  What think all of you?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2004, 08:46:51 AM »

Ask BK:

What is the most important thing you have learned by having this web site?

That it is possible to have an online board that actually creates a good and positive environment for bright, witty and wonderful denizens.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2004, 08:48:50 AM »

For Ask BK Day:

You mentioned that you store your CDs in alphabetical order.  What happens when you get a couple of new ones beginning with A or B?  Do you have to shift everything or have you left a lot of room on each shelf?  Let me tell you my solution: I used to have to shift everything from time to time when I got new titles that there was no room for.  Since I was listing my whole collection on the computer anyway, I decided to number each title, keeping the list alphabetical with the number indicated, but keeping the actual CDs in numerical order (with a small removable label that has the number on it).  If I am looking for something, I consult my list, find the number and it is then very easy to find the CD.  I no longer have to keep space open on each shelf or shift CDs around everytime I get a new title.

I do keep them in alphabetical order by section - cast albums, soundtracks, classical, jazz and easy listening and vocals.  It's a pain in the ass, but I do the shifting thing from time to time.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2004, 08:50:54 AM »

BK, what is your take on directors like Lucas and Spielberg reconfiguring their old films by digitally manipulating them?

I don't much like the practice, but I suppose if it's fun for them and they wish to do it, then it's fine.  The key thing, however, is that the original version should always be included and available, which is sadly not the case with the Star Wars films and with Close Encounters (which has never been as good as it was on its initial release).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2004, 08:52:24 AM »

I'm tempted to reprint Jose's excellent review on Talkin' Broadway.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2004, 08:56:34 AM »

Happy Birthday DRMrkdl73

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2004, 09:09:52 AM »

Here's something kind of unusual.  I am listening to Brasilian techno-Bossa singer Cibelle's S/T CD, and I do believe she has sampled Elmer Bernstein's Theme from Hawaii.  Isn't that peculiar?  I'm pretty sure it's a 6 second or so snippet from the main theme--I'll have to go back and listen to the soundtrack today, but that was what immediately popped into my head when it played.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Panni

« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2004, 09:10:24 AM »

I missed the post yesterday about DR Ben's brother in Iraq. So to my earlier post I'd like to add...
            *****SAFE VIBES TO DR BEN'S BROTHER!****

Panni

« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2004, 09:13:10 AM »

For those who may be interested, last night's cricket done gone away. Maybe it wasn't in the house, but just outside the window. Or maybe the turtle ate it. Or the yard cat.
Or maybe it's lurking under the bed...

Jennifer

« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2004, 09:16:57 AM »

I'm going to talk about The Amazin Race show contestants on The Early Show today.  But I know MBarnum hasn't seen the show yet.  So no spoilers about the winners.

Anyhow, all of the four top teams were on The Eartly show today (the bowling moms, Nicole/Brandon, Chip/Kim, Colin/Christie).

The host was talking to Colin about how they were edited.  And Colin said that Christie was not the passive submissive girl they showed.  And he also said that they really edited him to be the bad guy.

One example was from last week's show.  The famous ox scene, where he threw a tantrum.  Everyone was so angry with him for that.  Anyhow they showed the footage of him fuming and then screaming out, "i hate you", then they showed christie.  Well in reality christie wasn't anywhere near him and he was saying it to the ox.

Anyhow colin then goes on to say how christie is the best thing that ever happened to him.  And that he was the luckiest guy in the world. And then he asked her to marry him.

Okay I know most of you guys don't like him, but it was so touching.

Anyhow she said yes.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 09:19:47 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2004, 09:22:15 AM »

Oh and re: BB5. Wow they raced through that show.

I was actually pretty right on with my predictions. I said 4-3 for Drew.  And I said that Cowboy would get adria/nat/will.  I only got will and jen mixed up.  But hey that wasn't my fault since SHE DID SAY she wouldn't vote for her bro.

I was happy that she did though.  After she said that blood was most important to her, I'm glad she followed up by voting for her bro.

MBarnum

« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2004, 09:29:20 AM »

We're discussing whether it should be end of this year or beginning of next.  What think all of you?

The sooner the better as I am in need of some new reading material.

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2004, 09:34:45 AM »

I enjoyed last nights BB5 and I am always happy when they reveal the winner...for some reason it makes me a bit emotional.

There are just a few rather bitter people from that show, which is too bad...they really take it all way too seriously...and what was with all the makeup that Jase had on! Good grief!

I did think that the questions that the jury asked were rather lame...but not as lame as the answers! I would proably say that the reason I should win is "because I have been in the dang house for 3 months and I really want the money!" LOL!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2004, 09:35:47 AM »

Good Morning!

BK - If you want to see the show, tickets are available on Goldstar for $37.00, I think.  I managed to snag a freebie last night from someone I know who worked on the production behind-the-scenes early on, but has/had absolutely no desire to see the show in person.  There's bound to be someone around these parts with fistfulls of comps.

Personally, a part of me wants to go back and see the show again after it has settled, and all the technical glitches have been worked out.  And when all the "spectacular effects" are actually working.  I just want to see if there's anything actually "good" which would make the show worth doing for those actors and actresses on stage.

But another part of me just wants to stay away from the Kodak theatre.  Far, far away.

The cast runs the gamut: the movie star, Broadway veterans, chorus gypsies, Los Angeles stage favorites, "famous" recording artists, back-up dancers (for people like Madonna, Cher, P Diddy, etc.), former child stars, child stars in the making(?), etc... even a Certified Massage Therapist according to one performer's bio.  There are also a couple of "this is my first (or second) major job" performers.  I always wish performers well.  It's just unfortunate at this time that I feel that all the well-wishes in world on my behalf - and others - would have absolutely no effect.  So, maybe it's good for them that it might end up being critic proof.  But if the critics do end up having their say, and the show ends up folding, well...  May their next endeavor be more worth while.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 09:37:25 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2004, 09:36:28 AM »

Has anyone ever heard of the Jankowski Singers?

I keep hearing them on LuxuriaRadio.com and I really, really like them! But alas I can find no CDs from them. They seem to be a late 60s or early 70s easy listening type of group.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2004, 09:39:26 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR MKRDL73!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2004, 09:54:00 AM »

Has anyone ever heard of the Jankowski Singers?

I keep hearing them on LuxuriaRadio.com and I really, really like them! But alas I can find no CDs from them. They seem to be a late 60s or early 70s easy listening type of group.

Michael, that is the vocal group of German orchestra leader Horst Jankowski who charted here in the U.S. (#1 Adult Contemporary as well as #12 Pop Charts) with "A Walk in the Black Forest."  There are some compilation CDs I found doing a cursory Google with his stuff on them.  Ebay also has several items available.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ben

« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2004, 09:54:12 AM »

For all you people out there in the dark here is another State Fair picture. This time it's my niece and me with a cow! Wow. A Cow. What Now? (stop me before I become a rhyming fool)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2004, 09:54:25 AM »

Well, it's still before 10:00AM here in L.A., and I've already trekked out and about!  I was up at 6:30(!), and out the door by 7:00.  I had to head over to my cousin Angie's place to pick up a set of keys for her apartment.  I'll be heading over there this afternoon for the next few days.  My friend, Chris, is heading back East for some work, and since his lease and landlord do not allow guests to stay in his apartment when he is not here...

Originally, I was going to spend the next few days being hosted by the choreographer of What If?, since Angie wasn't originally going to be able to host me.  But due to a last minute change of plans - I got the call right before I headed into the Kodak last night - I will be now be able to check out the Wilshire "Miracle Mile" area.  And the nearby Koreatown too!  And since Chris will be back on Saturday, I'll just pack my small bag for the next few days.  I won't have to lug my two pieces of luggage across town!  Yippee!  And then I'll just head back over here on Saturday when Chris gets back into town.

Did that make sense?

I've been kind of stressing the past couple of days over this last-minute change of venue, as it were.  But now.... Whew!  I truly have had someone looking out for me during my time out here in L.A.  Thank You!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2004, 10:00:19 AM »

OH!  And when I came up to the street level of the Wilshire/Vermont station and made my around all the construction(!) barriers, I started seeing these women with small carts... And I started smelling some wonderful smells!  Tamales, pupusas, cornejos, atole, champurrado...  In other words... Breakfast!
Make Your Own Luck.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2004, 10:10:41 AM »

If you wait until the beginning of the new year, you will be eligible for the Pulitzer and have a chance of winning two years in a row.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2004, 10:15:19 AM »

This morning I went for a walk and this is what I saw:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2004, 10:29:58 AM »

I'm going to talk about The Amazin Race show contestants on The Early Show today.  

You were on the Early Show today with the final 4 from the Amazing Race?  You might at least have let us know about this gig earlier!  :-)

(I couldn't wait for DR MBarnum to take control of that easy opportunity!)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up